It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we really denying ignorance?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Hey mods, don't change the title of this thread. Thats the whole point you see...

I have been a member here for 7 months or so, and have enjoyed this community a lot. However, there is a disturbing pattern that I have noticed on ATS.

Here is an example...

These are two UFO threads...(no offense to the OP, seriously)
Wow Check this New UFO video out!!!!
total bunk by page two; currently 124 posts and 19 flags

UFO over Southhampton 01.06.2008
posted a whole day later, has real credibility, but still is below this other bunk video. Why?

Well, I think that there is a conspiracy to cover credible threads and evidence with bunk highlighted by exclamation points. Maybe even disinfo, (or high schoolers) Don't believe me? Why is it, that every time I write a thread that is well thought out and titled appropriately, it is ignored? But yesterday, while writing this thread, www.abovetopsecret.com... ,

I titled it 100% proof, and got huge responses. Retitled by myself last night, to reflect the true nature of it, and it died. Renamed it, huge hits, then changed by a mod again, and now it has died.
Am I supposed to resort to inflammatory rhetoric and titles just to get responses around here? One of my former English teachers once told me the key was in the first sentence, but now I see that it is just the title that matters....

Now before someone goes off saying that I'm whining, I want you to notice that I attempted to keep that good UFO thread alive because I knew the other to be bunk, which I also stated on that thread...

So what's the deal ATS? Or will this thread be retitled and ignored?

[edit on 10-6-2008 by jasonjnelson]

[edit on 6/10/2008 by Spiderj]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

IMO i think a real UFO will come in the form of news and not some old you tube [snip] video that cant get clear shots anyhoo

the posts around here are pretty sporatic and random, id say atleats 45% is not even conspiracy related

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 10-6-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I didnt know you could rename your thread title.....

second line

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

I get your point, but this is not about that. Its about the fact that we all claim to be above the MSM, you know, "Deny Ignorance"?
But then I come here to see the same tactics with the same results. Thank God that some guys, like MikeS and Internos get their own forums....

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

You can, all you have to do is edit your OP within like twelve hours.

And yes, yours was a one line post.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Sorry,

I understand your concern, but I am going to change the title...and move the thread.

Spiderj

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Thanks for the information!

Thanks for telling me about my one line post

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiderj

And there is my point. I watched this thread get 60 views in two minutes with that last title. Now watch it whither and die. It would be fair if ALL threads were given the same treatment.... We suck.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
In this case i think that you are 99.9999% correct. There should be a discipline of Titleology, or maybe there is one already?
But hey, this is human nature. I can rarely spot a good thread with "boring" title, but "100% proof" works like a charm. What can i do? I appreciate your attempt to help me (and those like me) out but sadly i doubt it will work.
If this didn't help me nothing will:
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I moderate in the UFOs and Aliens Forum, and I'm pretty much up on the subject. Now you come along and claim in the title "100% Proof" of something. Yet you do not have 100% proof of anything except that such a title gets more results than a truthful one.

I didn't re-title your thread myself, but I would have. This board is about the truth, not how fast you can score points off of sensationalism. It seems you've been hanging out at lower class sites too long.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Actually, buddy, I have never belonged to any other sites.

I don't expect you to read all of my history, but I joined this site due to C2C, and stayed because of the Stephensville event.

I only posted sporadically, until my English professor prompted me to write a series of essays. Almost EVERYTHING I have written has been for research purposes, furthered by debate. I will post those later...
I ADMITTED that my title was misleading. But you know what? The thread in my Sig was just as well thought out, (in my time frame and typing speed, lol) But thoroughly ignored.

I guess if I was Robbie williams I wouldn't have had to worry about that, would I?

I am not here for points. I am not mad at you fort saying that. I am not a child.

I just hate wasting my time, only to be out dueled by a thread titled "I'm votin' for Obama cause I'm Black, So??!!"

Sheesh, I know your a good posting member, but don't jump the gun and snap without knowing who I am, Okay?

[edit on 10-6-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Excuse me for saying, but this is really just swings and roundabouts.

What the "deal is" is members reading and responding to threads which interest them. I am sorry to point out the obvious, but many will agree if we are not interested in a thread then we do not take part in it.

I've made 15,350 posts and 911 threads. A large minority of my contribution were not responded to significantly. Members were not "ignoring me" it was simply down to my contribution were not interesting enough for them.

I never accused members of ignoring my threads either

This isn't a popularity contest.

I didn't re-title your thread myself, but I would have. This board is about the truth, not how fast you can score points off of sensationalism. It seems you've been hanging out at lower class sites too long.

Amen NGC2736.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

You obviously did not read my post. I am off to work now, and I go there knowing that you have no idea what you are talking about. I am not whining about what interests who. I cited a clear example of two threads in the same forum, one real/ one bunk. But based on the title, who's getting all the attention now? Exactly.

Anyone else who accuses me of participating in a popularity contest is an idiot. (note that I did not call the last two that, but I have now answered that accusation, so...)

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Why do people think "ATS" has anything to do with this nonsense? The MEMBERSHIP flags and stars threads they find interesting. The MEMBERSHIP bring threads up to the homepage.

How hard is it to figure out that sensational titles will get more attention than boring titles?!
That's like asking "why do people oooh and ahhh over a Ferrari but they walk right past my Honda Civic without a glance?"

The POINT IS, to make sure your content SUPPORTS your title and you are good to go.

Claiming some conspiracy behind the lack of attention your threads get is not only ridiculous and childish it's insulting to an excellent all VOLUNTEER STAFF!

Springer...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
I just hate wasting my time, only to be out dueled by a thread titled "I'm votin' for Obama cause I'm Black, So??!!"

I see what you're saying but what you have missed is the power of the READER. Thus the effort ISN'T in vain. You say you came here because of C2C. How do you know that something you've written hasn't made someone pause to think? It's not the stars, flags, points, etc that matters. What matters is that you took the time to present something. The pay off isn't always evident but if your thread was good more than likely you've given someone something to ponder. THAT'S the pay off.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
You obviously did not read my post. I am off to work now, and I go there knowing that you have no idea what you are talking about. I am not whining about what interests who. I cited a clear example of two threads in the same forum, one real/ one bunk. But based on the title, who's getting all the attention now? Exactly.

Seeing you are the first ATS member in history to throw a drama Queen hissy fit about thread titles, I do not think you are in the position to accuse me of "having no idea what I am talking about".

As NGC2736 said, ATS is not about sensationalism.

I am not here for points. I am not mad at you fort saying that. I am not a child.

Stop acting like one then.

You know how this problem could of been dealt with? A simple U2U to NGC2736, who moderates UFOs and Aliens Forum, and the issue would of been reviewed by the staff and probably dealt with. The rest of us do it: why can't you?

"Drama threads" is not how you deal with a problem and probably has damaged any chance of the issue being taken seriously now

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I echo what Springer says, not to mention that misleading people with a false headline is a big no-no...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Wow. Smacked down by the man himself. Well, seeing as the points don't matter, what I was pointing out was that threads bury easily, and some crap floats to the top.

I am not special.

I am not unique.

I am sorry that you all feel attacked.

I am amazed that this is the crap that gets me attention around here.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Okay. Here's my M.O. for surfing ATS. I'm a new member, first of all, and have lurked here for a better part of a year.

Before I go off on that tangent, I want to take note of an observation: The ratio of postings to views. Many of the "inflammatory" posts get far more views than they do posts. I suggest that a close ratio of posts to views might be more indicative of a beneficial thread. Plus, those that incite, often draw folks (IMO) that want to engage in a little conflictive banter. I believe this is true of SOME of the OPs that hint at or declare racism. It's a hot topic, no? I don't post on most of threads relative to that issue, because I can't get past one-line responses: i.e. "Skin color is a hollow measurement of a person's worth."

Okay. My M.O. I usually log on, go to recent posts. I cruise through and things that interest me, I look at. Things that I feel I might have something worthwhile to contribute to, I post. I posted in your last thread, even though I didn't like the sensationalism you invoked. Then, after wanderin' through recent posts, I will look at "my ATS" and follow up on threads that I have contributed to, see if there are any responses, whatever.

Only very occasionally will I dive into specific sections -- usually the survival forum. This is near and dear to my skills and understanding of the world, and I want most of all to not come off as a knowitall, so I don't post there often, but probably should. Sometimes I can't help myself.

I would guess that many of us use a similar mode for navigating ATS.

I'll start threads of my own after I have a better feel of the place. I've posed a question to the Mods about a thread I'd like to do, and awaiting input into that idea.

I think you should keep doing what you do, and don't worry about the numbers. On a weather site (dare I say THE weather site??) I frequent, there is sometimes a perceived struggle for blog popularity. It really doesn't matter. Sometimes the things that really hit you and make a difference......... they get few actual posts, but folks will always tell you privately how much you're appreciated. We humans are odd creatures.

Cheers

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join