It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are we really denying ignorance?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
Wow. Smacked down by the man himself.

No smack down intended man. Just pointing out the value of members contributions.

Well, seeing as the points don't matter, what I was pointing out was that threads bury easily, and some crap floats to the top.

Nature of the beast. What one person likes another won't.

I am not special.

I am not unique.

Sure you are. I don't know your interests but I could write nothing on aliens or aircraft. You? Just an example. We all bring something to the table.

I am sorry that you all feel attacked.

Not in the least.

I am amazed that this is the crap that gets me attention around here.

Just wait until this election gets up into high gear.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

Rather than write a thread to get your attention, I will post here. I am at work, and had to take a break because of your response to this. I never attacked the mods. I never even hinted that it was the mods fault. I was only pointing out the responses various thread titles provoke. Thanks for the smack though. It felt great.

And I don't care about points people. I care about conversation. I can't even begin to respond to the person who called me a drama queen. I know that what I said was not drama, and merely reflected my opinion. And I know that although simon and others might let you call me that, just remember that you shouldn't say things like that here.( You would never, ever, say that to my face.) But thanks for seeing what yopu all want in that post. Remember, I didn't move the thread here, and was refering to members and others who might be trying to mislead members.

I'm dissapointed in the reaction from you mods. I wasn't implying anything about any of you. I have always thought of you all as awesome. But thanks.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jasonjnelson
I'm dissapointed in the reaction from you mods. I wasn't implying anything about any of you. I have always thought of you all as awesome. But thanks.

When Im frustrated at low responses to my threads I re-frame it and say:

"I dont want quantity, I want quality discussion...so that must mean discussing with myself".

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Oh and by the way...I did like your thread on the alien council.

I just never responded to it.

Why? Because it answered many questions and there was no need to add the same thing. So threads that provide answers rather than questions sometimes get less airtime.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Hey there,

I consider myself amongst that elite group known as 'THREAD KILLERS.'

What those of us with that unique insight realise is that threads die a natural death once a level of agreement or sanity has been reached.

If you look at the threads that run on and on and aris-ton, it's always the ones where no proof can ever be offered on any side of an argument. Hence, it rolls on and on.

To me, a concisely put thread with not many views or comments is as valid - if not more so - than a sensationalist thread with 200+ replies.

I think that ATSland echoes RealLifeland insomuch as 'it's always the quiet ones...'

Me? I don't care if only one or two people look at something I post. I've put it out there and will let popular opinion do the rest.

If I wanted to be popular I'd lose some weight, have a shave and start playing soccer...

Chill, it's all good...

WE are what makes ATS and WE ARE ATS, so let's not slip into the bimonthly 'ATS has an agenda' mindset.

Don't play games with thread titles, don't sensationalise. Be truthful. Be honest to yourself and this community.

What more could anyone ask?

Peace,

MSP (Thread killer extrordiniare)

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

PLEASE... Now you are either being obtuse or you are just playing...

You start a thread complaining about inflammatory titles and CLAIM in your Opening Post that you suspect a CONSPIRACY ON ATS to promote what you believe is crap and NOW you say you meant no insult to the management or staff?!

Well, Jason... Exactly WHOM WOULD BE PERPETRATING YOUR CONSPIRACY? The mice?

Come one man, it's one thing to stick your foot in your mouth, it's quite another to whine about having it removed and then to go as far as complain when those you WRONGLY accuse/implicate in your ludicrous theory push back.

GET OVER IT and quit while you are behind mate.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   

A CONSPIRACY INVOLVING ATS?????

Jeez, Mark, that must be a new one for you?

How on earth will you handle it?

LOL

Peace,

MSP

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Does no one else understand what the OP is saying here or is it just me?

I don't think the OP is whining about the fact that his threads do not get attention, I think he's more concerned about the fact that it is hard to find intelligent useful information because alot of BS and disinfo threads are rising to the top. I have noticed that any thread that I find has some real, juicy, intelligent information is lacking in debate and posts and quickly sinks to the bottom while posts such as, "Pop corn with cell phones..." something completely bunk, is listed on the front page of the site, making it seem important, until you actually go into the thread and read it...after which you feel like you've wasted 15 minutes of your life.

And his experiment proves his point in my opinion...I see way too many 100% proof of this and that threads and once you go into them, they offer no proof whatsoever. And these threads go on with endless pages of useless information. Whereas threads that really offer some insight often go unnoticed. And I'm sure that's not the case with all threads, but it is with some. And the OP here is by far not the only one guilty of misleading a thread. He had intentions for an experiment to do it. Alot of others here do it all the time. It doesn't make it right, but it does prove a point.

I think the OP is just trying to make an observation that the garbage tends to outweigh the gold here. But at the same time, that is anywhere you go. If you go to the library to do some research you get the same exact thing. So its not really a conspiracy, its just the way things are. When you sift through the garbage and find the treasure, flag it. Its that simple. Its called doing research.

I also think the Hoax threads are good in a way. Let me explain.
I actually came to ATS reading about John Titor last year elsewhere from this site. I wanted to know if it was real or not. After doing some googling I came across ATS, where the story actually originated. I had found the John Titor thread with a gazillion pages and followed it from beginning to end, thus learning that it was a hoax. If this thread would not have been around, I would not have learned it was, and went on believing the slew of internet sites out there supporting John Titor as the truth.

And also, I think the staff here does an excellent job by the way. Thank you guys for everything you do!

Edited to correct the OP's gender...lol.

[edit on 6/10/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   

has somebody hacked your account?

Well, I think that there is a conspiracy to cover credible threads and evidence with bunk highlighted by exclamation points. Maybe even disinfo, (or high schoolers) Don't believe me?

I posted this thread in the conspiracy forum with the title "proof, obama with hitler leaving chemtrails on Nirubu"

It was a point, and was changed and moved to this forum, which is for the staff. YOUR STAFF made the choice to take issue with this. I have TOLD you that it had nothing to do with mods. So either you are calling me a liar or having a bad day.
Why are you attacking me over this? I NEVER ACCUSED THE MODS, and have refuted that implication from the beginning! I spend obviously way, way too much time on this site.

Why man, seriously? I have never attacked the mods here. But thank you for shredding the one bit of cred I might have had on this site. I am so frustrated about this. I am being attacked by the site owner, and being told to quit while I'm behind, merely for making a point of disliking the inflammatory thread titles.

So much for getting "writer". So much for any real anything.
I hope that the guns you all lowered on me for not even talking about you were worth it.
And there goes my lunch break./ Back to schlupping bags for the uber-rich, hoping my broken body doesn't give out, all so that I can rush home to my disabled brother and paralyzed roommate, and turn on my computer to see if I was banned by springer for arguing the fact you guys chose to take this thread to mean all of you. not just maybe the members I was refering to.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mad_Hatter

Thanks for seeing my point.
Are you calling me "she " and "her" to make a point? I mean, my name is Jason.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The sea was angry that day my friends. Like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

Actually this forum is not for staff but for all member to discuss things going on around the board.

I moved it here because I felt it was more appropriate a place for it.

I changed the title because I felt the title was innapropriate.

There is a slight but important difference when a member titles a thread "Hitler is in my kitchen making toast with the greys" when...though the member may have issues that member really does think hitler is in the kitchen making toast with aliens.

Other members have started similar threads in the past with whacky titles in an attempt to prove the point you were trying to make and those threads were also renamed and moved.

Also I would like to point out that this thread has received over 500 views and a good amount of replies and considering how boring the title is, thats pretty good in my opinion.

Man that title is really boring...who the heck came up with that.

Spiderj

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Well, I think that there is a conspiracy to cover credible threads and evidence with bunk highlighted by exclamation points. Maybe even disinfo, (or high schoolers) Don't believe me?

I have to agree, he never attacked any of the staff at all. I just don't get how you are getting the wrath

But, it seems that members will flag threads with obvious untruthful titles, but well-thought out threads and an informing title will go about un-looked.

For example:

Grey aliens stole my car
100 Flags

President Bush admitted to orchestrating 9/11
4 Flags

Well maybe not, but you get my point.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

I guess (and hope) one day in the future YOU will lead something that matters so much to you that you would respond the same way I did when presented with what you postulated.

Beyond that... my advice to you is, LET IT GO.
You bombed on this one, totally.

Cut your losses and STOP worrying about what your peers see as important or interesting to the point of being misunderstood (I still don't buy that) by your host mate.

Springer...

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Oh...i'm sorry...my bad..i misread your name...quite embarrassing. I glanced at it wrong. Much apologies. Simple mistake.

And really Springer, I don't see where you're coming from here. And I don't mean that to be disrespectful because I have the utmost respect for you, but I don't see how you interpret the OP as an attack on the mods??? Maybe you can explain?

[edit on 6/10/2008 by Mad_Hatter]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
what you should do in these cases is have a sensational headline that leads into a well thought out and well presented post. Something relevant to the post your going to make but makes people WOW at the sight of it.

If your going to talk about some news. key words like SHOCKING!! or REVELATION! or something similar will draw attention to your thread while normal descriptive titles won't make anyone want to click on your link.

I also and it's sad to say found that topics that are controversial or will make people originally mad to look at garner more attention than those topics that will make people feel good about themselves.

People want to be shocked here on ATS they want that 100% proof tag or that I am letting you in on a secret tag. Something that says to the reader and potential reply-er that you have the keys that they want but they have to beg you a little for it.

I'm not saying go ahead and make up bull, cause those kinds of things make people angry at the person writing the OP but make it fun to read, exciting to participate in. But put the truth in, in a way that makes it exciting to be a part of.

In essence your selling your story or point of view. Sell it proudly and strongly and the replies and stuff will come along with it. News reporters use sensational headlines to grab a readers attention. Use this same idea and principal when writing your theory and you will get more replies.

I hope that helps.

[edit on 6/10/2008 by whatukno]

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I`m the OP of the second video that you are talking about. Southhampton. I really don`t see your point, why would someone wait for good positive information to come up and release a bad thread to take attention off the first one?.

Just imagine all the resources that this would take, basically having someone with a bunch of "bad" threads ready and all over the board all the time waiting for the "good stuff" to appear.

Relax, I too have felt sometimes that my threads are not appreciatted enough, but there is no conspiracy at all, this is a huge discussion board and you can never know who is replying or why are they doing it.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Nope.

Half the people on this forum (I feel) are nutcases or just idiots. I wonder if they have any comprehension of reality. Do they live in basements smoking pot and just bumping ideas off sympathising friends until they have no idea what is really happening anymore? That's all I can assume.

I don't have a problem with conspiracy theories, otherwise I wouldn't be here. I do however have a problem with no evidence or facts or science or anything else that would otherwise prove a point.

Hell, half of the threads I see explicitly state that "they cant provide evidence so don't ask, I'm telling the truth". Blah. What a weak argument.

"Hey guys, I'm the king of the universe. I also created god, how do I know this? It was encoded in my spirit before I was concieved. I don't care if you don't believe me, I'm right!".

That sort of jibberish. If that isn't ignorance, I don't know what is.

The problem with these forums is that they're too popular and too far-out. There's no rules that say you need some form of evidence, there's no mods deleting totally demented threads either. I mean you'd think that people could at least post the really ridiculous stuff in one board, but they dont. Also, isn't that what Skunk Works is for? It's underused.

Anyway it's easy to rant but there's just so much stupidity on these forums, it often makes me want to stop coming here. I try to steer clear of a lot of that now.

People will flame this and call me ignorant. Again, that's only founded if I'm seeing facts and denying them. The problem (just to state it.. AGAIN) is that people either provide no facts/evidence, or their 'evidence' is a story they told with nobody around, or they were on 6 drugs, or they say the evidence was eaten by the dog...

Ergh. I wish someone would crack down on all this but I think some of the site owners post things themselves that match the 'no evidence' critera. So we're screwed there. I can't offer a solution.

That's my 2c. Controversial post I know. Everything here is just my opinion, yada yada, the usual.

Edit: One thought too. Often the threads with actual evidence and so on are long, hard to read and probably hard to take in if you're a wacko who things that really ridiculous things are occuring around us all the time. The last point I mention there because evidence rarely supports the really far out theories, so who will bother reading a thread that debunks them?

It's much easier for people to just see a stupid alarmist/sensationalist video going "ALIENS REPTILES US CONGRESS NASA FAKE LOLOL" with music from Linkin Park that reinforces their beliefs in 3 minutes and takes no effort to watch.

Edit2: Just before someone mentions it, I'm not flaming mods or the site owners. I'm just saying that they're human too and have the same views as many of the posters here... Sadly some of those posters don't think credible evidence is neccessary...

[edit on 11/6/08 by Duality]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I've started quite a few threads in my time & contributed to many more that I didn't originate. Most of the threads I've OP'ed have fallen to the obscurity of the Archives...But I can still reach them if I want to.

But still, I find I get more stars & even more Staff Applauses by the content of what I post...Which is all the "reward" I seek. Just the simple recognition by other post-writers who say "I didn't know that before" is good enough.

Originally posted by intrepid
We all bring something to the table.

And such a big table it is! I don't think even the US Congress has as much on their table like ATS does! You also have to consider how many people come to ATS (I rememeber when ATS was only knee-high to a knee in size), then also consider that, when so many different people are posting, there's going to be a lotta chaff to separate from wheat.

More recently, I've been harping mostly on Constitution vs. Government...A few years ago, it was historical conspiracies & how they affect the modern-day world...A few years from now, who knows? That's only assuming that the NWO hasn't banned public internet access by that time.

[edit on 11-6-2008 by MidnightDStroyer]

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Well, the 'hey buddy' to NGC wasn't exactly the most respectful response to his/her well eloquated reasonings and response.
I must say I tire of the 'I will not stop yelling till someone pays attention'
the 'I spent alot of time on this thread'
With all due respect. It sounds like a juvenile demand for attention. Which is not what this place is about.

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

I also hate when we have rants on here like his (the OP) but when each one is different and you have to treat it that way. You can't say oh boy another rant, when each case is different. I think he presented an argument that he feel is warranted in his situation. For him sounding like a school kid, I can't buy that one. Just because in the past previous poster have done this, you can't just automatically throw him into that category.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join