It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Severe Weather Thread 2008

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Morning OZ;

Gotta get cracking with the clean-up of Gustav..... we still have many power poles/lines down..... tons of trees downed to cut up and haul away.

I'm hoping the sheer tendancy kicks in and knocks Gustav down a bit. I'd guess Hanna & Gustav are far enough apart to not engage the Fujiwara effect, but you'd know that more than myself (as well as all wx info).

Louisiana Contra-flow plan:

www.dotd.state.la.us...

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Yeah got the latest infra red sat image here at the moment

Good organisation and rotation, no discernible eye (prob clouded over at the moment). Hopefully it swings away from New Orleans

www.goes.noaa.gov...

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
What happened to the Home Depot and Lowes commercials? You would think now is the time to start advertising Hurricane Specials......

Good luck to all you in the strike zone, heed the warnings and watch your wallet and report price gouging!

God bless

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Ok, latest Gustav update has it at a cat-3 hurricane. Forecasts are tipping it to cross as a cat-4 which is weaker than Katrina but still very strong. Not sure if movement will continue at NW

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
OZ, have you peeked at the shear tendancy? cimss.ssec.wisc.edu........ Contary to that..... the SHIPPS model ftp.tpc.ncep.noaa.gov..., which calls for decreasing shear. boooooooo!

Gotta hope the steering layer kicks in to nudge it away from NOLA. cimss.ssec.wisc.edu...

Levees can't take a Cat 4 IMO. I know of two people personally that aren't leaving. They left for Katrina, and their house was looted. Damn, people are screwed up sometimes. Storm's coming, let's Loot! weeeeeeeeee!

Interested in your analysis of Gustav's landfall and such. Not a challenge, just want to learn from you. \

Cheers friend

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I thought a coupla days ago that the steering currents might well push Gustav closer to Mobile or eastward. I don't see ANY model concurrence for this solution. Other than the Canadian, which seems to want to develop everything into a Cat -6, and the HWRF, there seems to be pretty much of a model agreement for NOLA. dammit.

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by argentus
Interested in your analysis of Gustav's landfall and such. Not a challenge, just want to learn from you. \

Cheers friend

Will see if I can find some data to have a look at and get back to you on that one

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
i live in queensland australia in a place called redcliffe.
we've had heaps of thunderstorms.
2 especialy one earlier this year we had one that hail lots and we like like alot of rain i think like 30mills in 20mins or something like that it caused heaps of flash flooding and stuff. hailed like a bitch 2.
another one we had that was small but it was black which is the worst colour you can get on this site www.bom.gov.au i think thats it and it shows intensity and we had so much hail that it looked like snow and something like 100km wins.
and i think 30th may 2005 the same thing happened in brisbane i had lots of pics of it but i dont no how to put them on

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by ryan atwood
i live in queensland australia in a place called redcliffe.
we've had heaps of thunderstorms.
2 especialy one earlier this year we had one that hail lots and we like like alot of rain i think like 30mills in 20mins or something like that it caused heaps of flash flooding and stuff. hailed like a bitch 2.
another one we had that was small but it was black which is the worst colour you can get on this site www.bom.gov.au i think thats it and it shows intensity and we had so much hail that it looked like snow and something like 100km wins.
and i think 30th may 2005 the same thing happened in brisbane i had lots of pics of it but i dont no how to put them on

Hey

Yeah I actually work for thew BOM, in Darwin. I noticed that SE Queensland qwas getting hammered by bad weather over the last few months

If you can get those pics up, post them on this thread of mine

www.belowtopsecret.com...

Check this link if you want to learn how to upload images

handbook.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
its actually a powerpoint with lots of pics do u think ill be able to post that.
do u got msn so i could send it someone who knows how to do it over msn??

posted on Sep, 1 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
i read that handbook thing and it said i dont have enough posts to upload anything.
can u even upload powerpoints???

ive found a newsreport on it if anyone is interested.

www.abc.net.au...

www.youtube.com...

the link above is from a video from a thunderstorm from 2007

www.youtube.com...

another video from 2005

[edit on 1-9-2008 by ryan atwood]

[edit on 1-9-2008 by ryan atwood]

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Heavy rain across Wales and other parts of the UK with a good deal of flooding - and more rain to come today

www.telegraph.co.uk...

www.walesonline.co.uk...

(Had a mere 6.9mm in 24 hours here though!)

posted on Sep, 6 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
Heavy rain across Wales and other parts of the UK with a good deal of flooding - and more rain to come today

www.telegraph.co.uk...

www.walesonline.co.uk...

(Had a mere 6.9mm in 24 hours here though!)

Wow, Essan, thats some terrible weather you've been getting over your part of the world.

Its to bad that all this, even with the deaths, gets overshadowed by the american hurricanes. Keep us informed

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This is incredible......half the country has severe thunderstorm warning out, courtesy of a slow moving trough. Here's the warnings

Priority
NSW and ACT SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
Damaging Winds
For people in
Lower Western, Upper Western, Riverina,
Southern Tablelands, South West Slopes, ACT,
Central West Slopes and Plains, Central Tablelands,
Illawarra, South Coast, Hunter, Metropolitan and for the Alps.

Issued at 10:55 am on Monday 22 September 2008

Synoptic Situation: 9:00 am EST Monday
DAMAGING WINDS ACROSS A LARGE PART OF NSW TODAY.

A strong cold front will move through western New South Wales during Monday afternoon and through the southeast in the evening/overnight, bringing strong to gale force winds, rain and thunderstorms.

Over the Lower and Upper Western districts, mean winds exceeding locally 65 km/h with gusts over 90 km/h. These gales will extend to the Riverina, South and Central West Slopes and Plains, Central and Southern Tablelands, the ACT, South Coast and Illawarra during Monday afternoon, and to the Sydney Metropolitan and Hunter districts late afternoon or evening.

In Alpine areas above 1900 metres winds are averaging locally over 90 km/h with peak wind gusts exceeding 125 km/h. Gale force winds will extend to lower levels of the Alps by the afternoon, before easing Monday night.

Destructive wind gusts likely near thunderstorms.
The National Parks and Wildlife Service recommends that people consider postponing back country travel until conditions improve.

Emergency services advise you to keep clear of fallen power lines, stay indoors away from windows and keep children indoors

For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES [NSW and ACT] on telephone number 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 05:00 pm Monday

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Northern Territory

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING
for Damaging Winds and Large Hailstones
For people in Alice Springs
Issued at 12:49 pm on Monday 22 September 2008

Thunderstorms with the potential for damaging winds and large hailstones have been observed on radar and are expected to affect Alice Springs between 1 pm and 3 pm CST.

For people in the Northeast Pastoral and parts of the Flinders and Northwest Pastoral districts.

Issued at 11:49 am Monday, 22 September 2008.

A strong cold front is moving quickly across the Northeast Pastoral district. Widespread northwest winds, averaging 60-70 km/h with gusts in excess of 90 km/h ahead of the front will then shift southwest at similar strength with the front. Areas of blowing dust.

Severe thunderstorms with damaging wind gusts in excess of 90 km/h are also possible near the front.
Locations which may be affected include Moomba, Oodnadatta, Marree, and Arkaroola.

Mean wind speed of 63 km/h and a wind gust of 90 km/h was observed at Moomba.
The next warning is due to be issued by 3:00 pm.

Here's a link to some radar images as well if anyone is interested in watching the storms progression

www.bom.gov.au...

www.bom.gov.au...

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Well just heard that there are trees down, with 110kph or 58 knots winds and a horizontal visibility of 0 metre in Alice Springs at the moment.

Another line is moving in to

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join