It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Severe Weather Thread 2008

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

I dunno! I was at their house when the tornado hit but their house was fine (it is solid brick). Their shed wasn't so fortunate. I was there and remember the shed going bye-bye but it wasn't found on the highway until the next day once I was back at home. Don't think the tools were ever recovered. Of course, the update was also told to me by my stepfather who is known for exaggerating. The basic rule of thumb when hearing a story from him is to divide the incredulity by ten and then you have the facts. lol

posted on Jun, 15 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Ok, its about tiem I posted this one

Tropical cyclone Vance was the strongest to have ever hit the Australian Mainland. It started as a tropical depresssion just west of Darwin in the northern territory and slowly drifted west, then south west drawing energy of the warm tropical water.

Four days after it began, the tropical depression had turned into a category five monster named Tropical Cyclone Vance. As it intensified, Vance swung to a southerly direction making a bee line for the small town of Exmouth (population 2,500). I had an instructor at my training course that worked at Learmonth Met Office, just outside Exmouth. Apparently they had to leave the office unattended as the predicted storm surge was 9 metres. The office is only a couple of metres above the sea.

On the morning of the 22 of March, 1999, the eye of Vance crossed a couple of kilometeres to the east of Exmouth. The town experienced gusts at winds of 270kph

When the monster had crossed the town was left in complete devastation, but thankfully nobody was hurt as the Severe weather section in the West Australian Met Bureau did its job and gave ample warning.

Vance continued south, then south east (which is the normal track for cyclones in this area), and was still a category one cyclone when it crossed the southern coast of West Australia a week and a good 2500km's after it was born

Here's a link to the tracking map and also a link to a stormchaser who braved (or stupidly went out in) the 270kph winds

www.geoffmackley.com...

www.geoffmackley.com...

[edit on 15/6/2008 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   

032 WUUS51 KRNK 170141 SVRRNK VAC071-WVC055-063-089-170245- /O.NEW.KRNK.SV.W.0178.080617T0141Z-080617T0245Z/ BULLETIN - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BLACKSBURG VA 941 PM EDT MON JUN 16 2008 THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BLACKSBURG HAS ISSUED A * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR... NORTHEASTERN GILES COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA NORTHEASTERN MERCER COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST WEST VIRGINIA MONROE COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST WEST VIRGINIA SUMMERS COUNTY IN SOUTHEAST WEST VIRGINIA * UNTIL 1045 PM EDT. * AT 940 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING NICKEL SIZE HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED 7 MILES NORTHWEST OF JUMPING BRANCH...OR 8 MILES SOUTHEAST OF BECKLEY...AND MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 39 MPH. * LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE... JUMPING BRANCH... BLUESTONE STATE PARK... BLUESTONE DAM... BUCK... BALLENGEE...

A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1100 PM EDT MONDAY EVENING FOR SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA AND SOUTHEAST WEST VIRGINIA. LAT...LON 3757 8032 3756 8032 3747 8038 3742 8048 3737 8045 3733 8048 3750 8107 3758 8118 3760 8114 3760 8109 3764 8107 3769 8098 3772 8097 3771 8090 3774 8092 3776 8091 TIME...MOT...LOC 0141Z 294DEG 33KT 3769 8110

This one just out, some good wind speeds and possible large hail

[edit on 16/6/2008 by OzWeatherman]

apc

posted on Jun, 16 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Last week we had several patches of rotation around the city and one sprouted a few rope twisters about half a mile from my sister's house. FOX4 had the news chopper out following them and one could even be made out from their tower cam located downtown. Pretty weak though - only EF0.

Most rotation broke up before crossing into Kansas City, MO. However people in Kansas City, KS were running to their basements (but really... who cares about KCK anyway *snort*).

I love it. Last year was so boring. This year has almost made up for it.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
apc, you are not kidding. That was a very wicked storm. I love a good storm, but that one was one of the very few that really scared me. The lightning on that one was seriously intense.

This weekend, we were driving up from Pomme de terre and hit the storm from hell. We had just left the campground maybe 20 min thinking we had made it in time to miss the storms. Oh no, a storm popped up heading the opposite direction than the others. We crested a hill on 13 and realized real quick we were going right into it. Thought I saw a wall cloud to the left, but it was quickly hidden by a hill. Sure enough we entered the storm and the radio started squakin tornado warning. I got some pics and will upload them soon. Unfortunatly none of the wall cloud or tornado. It totaly sucked because there was no place to turn around or pull over. We had no choice but to keep driving. The wind was unbelievable. Im glad my husband was driving and not me.

We have had so much rain that there are areas around town where hills are failing. Cones are set up in the road where the ground is just sliding on down. ( I'll get some pics ) Some of us have been getting a bit worried. I have had a couple of instances where I have felt dizy or like I was on a boat only to find that others around me are too, and signs or objects around us will wobble. APC, have you noticed any of that around where you are? It happened again yesterday in walmart. I would have blown it off had the sign in front of me not started moving at the same time. I had not thought anything of it until other people I know around here started mentioning it. A lot of little kids around here have been reporting dizy spells. I gotta say, it makes you nervous especially when you drive by and see hill sliding into the road.

apc

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Can't say that I have. I know humans are capable of perceiving the low-frequency waves that can precede an earthquake and these are often felt as a sense of dizziness or being off-balance, but the USGS doesn't show anything for the area. There was a small quake around Harrisonville last year if I recall correctly so who knows. I doubt it could be related to the weather in any manner except for maybe the excess water causing some deep shifting, but I don't know if that's even geologically possible. Maybe something else is going on.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Redneck
Well, I live in part of the tornado alley area, although I am protected to a large degree by mountains. Most storms dissipate when they hit those mountains and anything really severe normally gets turned into drenching rain instead by the time it gets to me.

The Redneck

Although it would be excessive quoting, I will say this, I actually came on here tonight exhausted and hurting from my knees to my feet, back breaking shoulder burning work it's been trying to grow organically in this kind of weather pattern.

After the 400+ tomato plants were finally and I mean finally set out, we had sub-freezing temps, hurricane force winds and torrential rains, hail and flooding and a general lack of sunlight.

So many plants that should be huge by now are short and squatty with fruit already coming on...

Everyday I walk through the gardens I feel blessed to see anything that has survived.

I worry about those that do not garden as it is so easy to just not do and rely on the Truckers to get it to market regardless of the costs. I also am very concerned about the price people will have to pay for so many of the treasures they now enjoy at a mere fraction of the real costs and just how much their dollars will buy in near future.

I will also say that most people are not willing to see with open eyes. They say it has always been so, when that is the furthest thing from the truth. Ask the older people like my Grandpa who is 93. He was a Trucker from the old days and he also has always been a weather watcher.

Yep it's all interconnected, the weather modification if that's what it is, will play havoc on the prices of fuel and food as we watch our crops world wide go into shortage.

One more thing, The Redneck, you may be part of Tornado Alley, but we here in the Ozarks have become the Pins.

posted on Jun, 17 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Did you notice that your picture looks like a huge sky bum?

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

WFUS53 KBIS 182315 TORBIS NDC015-055-057-065-182345- /O.NEW.KBIS.TO.W.0014.080618T2315Z-080618T2345Z/ BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED TORNADO WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BISMARCK ND 615 PM CDT WED JUN 18 2008

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BISMARCK HAS ISSUED A * TORNADO WARNING FOR... EXTREME WEST CENTRAL BURLEIGH COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL NORTH DAKOTA... EXTREME SOUTH CENTRAL MCLEAN COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL NORTH DAKOTA... EXTREME EAST CENTRAL MERCER COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL NORTH DAKOTA... EASTERN OLIVER COUNTY IN SOUTH CENTRAL NORTH DAKOTA... * UNTIL 645 PM CDT 545 PM MDT *

AT 611 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO NEAR FORT CLARK...OR 36 MILES NORTHWEST OF BISMARCK...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH. * THE TORNADO WILL BE NEAR... 9 MILES SOUTHWEST OF CROSS RANCH STATE PARK BY 635 PM CDT... 7 MILES SOUTHWEST OF SANGER BY 640 PM CDT... 7 MILES WEST OF PRICE BY 645 PM CDT...

IN ADDITION TO THE TORNADO...THIS STORM IS CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE HAIL AND DESTRUCTIVE STRAIGHT LINE WINDS. A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM CDT WEDNESDAY EVENING/900 PM MDT WEDNESDAY EVENING/ FOR WESTERN NORTH DAKOTA. LAT...LON 4721 10145 4734 10127 4711 10080 4698 10108 4698 10124 TIME...MOT...LOC 2315Z 311DEG 18KT 4719 10124

Keep an eye out for this one

Anyone in the area keep safe

posted on Jun, 18 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

ZCZC 793
WTPQ31 PGUM 181542
TCPPQ1

BULLETIN
TROPICAL DEPRESSION 07W ADVISORY NUMBER 1
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TIYAN GU
200 AM CHST THU JUN 19 2008

...TROPICAL DEPRESSION 07W FORMS NORTHWEST OF KOROR...

NO WATCHES OR WARNINGS ARE IN EFFECT.

AT 1 AM CHST...1500Z...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION 07W WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 9.6 DEGREES NORTH AND LONGITUDE 132.6 DEGREES
EAST. THIS IS ABOUT 200 MILES NORTHWEST OF KOROR
375 MILES WEST OF YAP
865 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST OF GUAM AND
965 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST OF SAIPAN.

TROPICAL DEPRESSION 07W IS MOVING NORTHWEST AT 7 MPH. LITTLE CHANGE
IN COURSE AND SPEED IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE 30 MPH. TROPICAL DEPRESSION 07W IS
FORECAST TO SLOWLY INTENSIFY DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

REPEATING THE 1 AM CHST POSITION...LATITUDE 9.6 DEGREES NORTH AND
LONGITUDE 132.6 DEGREES EAST...MOVING NORTHWEST AT 7 MPH WITH
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS OF 30 MPH.

THE NEXT SCHEDULED ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL WEATHER
SERVICE AT 8 AM CHST.

Also keeping an eye on this one, will probably cross land before it gets too severe but if it moves on a more northerly track we may see something stronger

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Tropical depression off the Phillipines is expected to intensify. Now named, Tropical Storm Fengshen the, JMA is going for 95kn gusts by the 21/6. Its swung to a more northerly track now so I would expect it to be intensifying until it hits land. Probably wont get to bad but its still early in the typhoon season. Sat pictures (vis and infrared) dont give indication of any well formed eye, but definently appears to be some decent rotation

www.jma.go.jp...

www.weather.gov.hk...

severe.worldweather.wmo.int...

severe.worldweather.wmo.int...

[edit on 19/6/2008 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jun, 19 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Updated analyses and forecast track for Typhoon Fengshen (Yes its now a typhoon). Winds have increased quicker than thought and the forecast track has it scarping the coast of the Phillipines. Current max gusts of 95 knots and expected to get to 120 knots later, next update very soon

www.jma.go.jp...

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Typhoon Fengshen is crossing the Phillipines as we speak with sustained winds of 75 knots with gusts up to 105 knots. Nothing to severe here and it will rapidly weaken until it hits water again. There is a possibilty that it will from and strenghten again after its passed the Phillipines. Glad to see that it wont be too bad

www.jma.go.jp...

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Great reporting Ozweatherman! I didn't know this storm was happening, thanks for keeping us updated!

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet

Great reporting Ozweatherman! I didn't know this storm was happening, thanks for keeping us updated!

No Worries

Feng Shen didnt do what was forecast, it crossed the Phillipines. Now its supposed to head for the south Chinese coast but it weakened a bit after it crossed the islands of the Phillipines, so it doesnt pose a threat at all at the moment

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Ok, final update on Fengshen, its crossing Hong Kong (direct hit) right now. Been downgraded to a severe tropical storm. Nothing major to report apart from possible 2m seas in a 120 mile radius from the core. Winds are 47 knots within 20 nautical miles of the centre, 33 knots out to 60nm from the centre. Should be nothing more than few clouds in about 24 hours time.

severe.worldweather.org...

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Looks like South Australia is going to be hit by some severe weather tonight

Apparently they should be expecting severe wind gusts and possible heavy rain this evening persisting until the early morning. This warning came out literally about 2 minutes ago

www.bom.gov.au...

If anyone in SA can get some pics that would be awesome

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Here's the offending front and also the infrared satellite image

Victoria and NSW also have severe weather warnings out for the same systems

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Norway has been hit by very dry weather, leading to the country's biggest forest fire since WWII

www.sciencedaily.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Last week in Omaha we had a storm come through with 80-90 mph winds. According to the weather service, no tornado formed. It was just wind. 126,000 people lost power (some are still without power) and 86 circuits needed to replaced. We lost power for 10 hours and the internet was out all weekend. I got pictures galore (most of them of the damage I took the next day) and took a 60 second video of the storm.

I'm still trying to figure out how to post a YouTube video, so I'll just post the link.

Omaha Storm 6/27/08

[edit on 3-7-2008 by DarthChrisious]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join