It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Severe Weather Thread 2008

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I am just going to be checking this one soon, but apparently Methoni in Greece has recorded 700mm of rain in the last 24 hours......i am thinking its extremely unlikely but well worth a look anyway

Heavy Rain/Snow Report(s)

As reported from METHONI
(36 50N 21 42E 34m)

GREECE
Heavy Rain/Snow
(Rainfall/Snowfall was 700 mm in the past 24 hours ending at 06 UTC 05 Jul 2008)

severe.worldweather.org...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Definitely an error - apart from the unlikelihood of anywhere in Europe experiences such a high rainfall total (it must be more than the annual total) it looks like it's actually been bone dry there the last few days

www.wunderground.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

This link says there's been NO rain for July in Methoni, Greeece

www.weather.com...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
This link says there's been NO rain for July in Methoni, Greeece

www.weather.com...

Lol, yeah forgot to check again last night before I went home from work, strange anomaly, probably an AWS (automatic weather station) malfunction

Anwway, Tropical Storm Bertha is looking to shape up as one of the first significant hurricanes of the season. Currently at 60kn gusts and 998hPa, expected to reach 80 knots gusts as it continues over that warm water. Nothing to major yet but you never know with hurricanes

After all look what happened with typhoon Feng Shen, predicted to not cross the Phillipine coast because all the models predicted it wouldnt, then it does and 1000 people dead.

severe.worldweather.wmo.int...

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I know Georgia would be happy to get some rain from some of that tropical moisture. They're really hurting for rain down there.

Locally, in the Great Lakes USA, Lake St Clair (which--minus a couple of rivers--connects Lake Erie with Lake Huron) has risen 4 inches recently.
Except for the dredged sipping channel, it is a relatively shallow lake and the recent heavy rains to eastern Michigan have helped rise the lake level.
We've have between 5-6+ inches around last month and over an inch so far this month....more than I can remember, and I'm not that young

~~~
~
~~~

OW, thanks for posting that Severe Global Weather site

posted on Jul, 6 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Basically the main point is that the change in climate will change rainfall, which undoes certainty and crops fail. For Britain this is turning into flooding issues, other necks of the wood, shortage. This has probably been going on since before Live Aid and is a situation where we cannot get away from the fact that the poorest people will die. No offence, they probably can't afford this internet.

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by redled
Basically the main point is that the change in climate will change rainfall, which undoes certainty and crops fail.

Actually most meteorologists think that climate change will (and already has) result in less but more severe storms, meaning heavier rain but less rain days. People fail to take into account the effects that El Nino and La Nina have on the world, plus the heating and cooling of the ocean elsewhere on the wrold

[edit on 8/7/2008 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
It was Sunday, June 8th, I believe. I live in Southeast Michigan. I was getting ready to take my little sister home. I knew there was a line of storms coming, so I checked the radar right before we left. The radar showed a strong line of storms in the county that borders to the west of the county I'm in, and since I was going to be driving east, I figured I'd be alright on the way there.

By this time, my county was under a Severe Thunderstorm Warning.

As we were walking outside, off to the west was this huge line of dark clouds. Its some of the darkest clouds I've ever seen in person. So, apparently either these storms were moving really fast or that radar was old.

Not even a minute after pulling out on to the road, extremely heavy rain started coming down. I couldn't really even see more than about 10-20 feet in front of the car. The wind was blowing about 30 mph, and this was just the lead edge of the storm.

I got about half way to my mom's and the rain let up some, the wind started to calm down. The sky was still dark though and there was lightning everywhere. By this time I was in the county east of the county where I live.

My brother (who lives where I do) called me about that time saying the lights were out and the tornado sirens were going off. I was kind of surprised because there were no Tornado Warnings in the area when I left. I know they can form quickly, but this was only about 15 minutes later.

Right as my brother was telling me he was hearing the tornado sirens, the tornado sirens started going off where I was. About that time, the wind starts picking up, the rain starts picking up and the lightning starts to increase. And of course I'm getting no weather updates because the radio stations are too busy with rap music and commercials to alert us of something important.

So I decided to get off the road. There was a drug store just a few feet up the street, but I was stuck in pretty much stand still traffic, so I had to wait until we moved a little bit. While we were sitting there though, the wind was getting stronger and the power lines right next to my car, but up the road about 100 feet started shooting off sparks.

We finally got off the road and got in the store. The power went out there and the people locked the doors so we stayed there until the lights came back on.

When we finally got to my mom's, about two hours later (normally a half hour drive), I found out that her and some friends were out on a boat on the lake during the storm. She said the waves got pretty big and was throwing the boat around. She said some boats had overturned and the Coast Guard had to rescue people.

It was a pretty bad storm. I love storms and am always staying updated if there are storms coming and keeping up with how strong the storms are, but this one completely caught me by surprise with its strength. I had no idea it was going to be as bad as it was. Its one of the worst thunderstorms I've ever been in that I can remember.

So yeah, there's my extremely long story.

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Here's another possible typhoon in the Phillipines/ China area. Tropical storm Kalmaegi (or Helen, pending location) is just about 130km off the Phillipine coast, with sustained winds of 85kph with gusts reaching up to 100kph near the center.

Just a lot of rain at the moment, and only weak. Forecast models from the Phillipines have it swinging to north to the west of Taiwan while the Hong Kong weather bureau has it swinging north to the east of Taiwan. Lets hope they get it right (unlike the Typhoon Feng Shen which killed 1000 people due to bad forecasting)

severe.worldweather.org...

www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph...

www.weather.gov.hk...

www.weather.gov.hk...

posted on Jul, 15 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Just a comment on Severe Weather.
The Weather Channel in the US is bombarding us with weather updates for Atlantic weather and eastern Pacific.
Take Bertha, not saying Bermuda shouldn't be warned, but it's like they have a hurricane Center and they are going to report and report even if there is nothing to report.

Result that folks may not pay attention when a storm really nears their neck of the woods.

posted on Jul, 22 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by DontTreadOnMe

Well Bertha didnt amount to anything to special

But this one has potential for the Mexican region, although I doubt it will get any stronger. Should make landfall though

TROPICAL STORM DOLLY FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 8
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL042008
0900 UTC TUE JUL 22 2008

PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE WEST OR 280 DEGREES AT 13 KT

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 997 MB
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 50 KT WITH GUSTS TO 60 KT.
34 KT.......140NE 120SE 30SW 120NW.
12 FT SEAS..200NE 180SE 60SW 120NW.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Looks like the first coast crossing hurricane for the season. Only a category 2 but very slow moving. I think the major problem will be flooding with this one due to its speed. Good luck to people in the Texas region

Keep an eye on it in this link

HURRICANE DOLLY FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 13
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL042008
1500 UTC WED JUL 23 2008

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE COAST OF TEXAS FROM
BROWNSVILLE TO CORPUS CHRISTI...AND FOR THE NORTHEASTERN COAST OF
MEXICO FROM RIO SAN FERNANDO NORTHWARD TO THE BORDER BETWEEN MEXICO
AND THE UNITED STATES. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY
SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.

AT 10 AM CDT...1500 UTC...THE TROPICAL STORM WARNING NORTH OF PORT
O'CONNOR HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED. A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN
EFFECT FROM NORTH OF CORPUS CHRISTI TO PORT O'CONNOR.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING AND A HURRICANE WATCH ARE IN EFFECT FROM LA
PESCA TO SOUTH OF RIO SAN FERNANDO.

HURRICANE CENTER LOCATED NEAR 26.0N 97.0W AT 23/1500Z
POSITION ACCURATE WITHIN 15 NM

PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE NORTHWEST OR 305 DEGREES AT 6 KT

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 964 MB
EYE DIAMETER 20 NM
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 85 KT WITH GUSTS TO 105 KT.
64 KT....... 20NE 20SE 20SW 20NW.
50 KT....... 50NE 50SE 50SW 40NW.
34 KT.......120NE 120SE 100SW 100NW.
12 FT SEAS..270NE 150SE 60SW 120NW.
WINDS AND SEAS VARY GREATLY IN EACH QUADRANT. RADII IN NAUTICAL
MILES ARE THE LARGEST RADII EXPECTED ANYWHERE IN THAT QUADRANT.

posted on Aug, 3 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Unusual thunderstorms in Norway today. A farmer found seven dead cows under a tree that was hit by lightning. And some other place in Norway, 91 people were struck by lightning.

Lightning hits 91 spectators at racetrack

The race, a national championship, was called off after the incident.

Eng said 16 ambulances and three medical helicopters were brought to the scene at Flisa, about eight kilometers from the Swedish border.

The injured fans were taken to four different hospitals.

[---]

"It was a raining and suddenly the lightning hit the stand," he was quoted as saying to the Norwegian News Agency NTB. "We all tried to get down from the hill. Many screamed and cried. The situation was dramatic. I've never experienced anything similar."

The thunderstorm knocked out telephone service in the area, police said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Four died and many injured by a freak tornado in northern France.

'Like a bomb': four die after tornado hits French towns

A freak tornado ripped through towns in northern France, killing three people and injuring nine as it gutted houses and hurled cars through the air, officials said Monday.

A fourth person, a man of 76, committed suicide after his house was demolished by the storm.

[---]

"I have rarely seen anything like this outside of a war zone. This looks like scenes that I saw in south Lebanon. It looks like it has been hit by a bomb," Alliot-Marie said after overflying the storm path in a helicopter.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
We are having flash floods here in Dublin. Took some photos of the weather at the same time, one from the back of my house, the other from the front of my house.

Out the back:

Out the front:

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yossarian
We are having flash floods here in Dublin. Took some photos of the weather at the same time, one from the back of my house, the other from the front of my house.

Out the back:

Out the front:

Nice photos, they look like some really heavy water laden clouds. Keep us informed of how everything turns out

posted on Aug, 16 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
A tornado killed at least three people and injured several others in Poland yesterday. Here's a very dramatic video shot from inside a bus, when it was hit by the tornado.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I'm living in Portland, Oregon. And the weather has been crazy.
First off we've had a heat wave the last week in the 100's which is uncommon for portland this time of year. Maybe earlier in july but it was cold then.
Now today we're having a thunder and lightning storm. With over 1,400 lightning strikes in the last hour (9 am -10am today)
Wednesday we're supposed to have a winter storm.
Friday we're supposed to be back in the 90s.
I miss the normal overcast portland.

Special weather statementnational weather service portland or140 pm pdt sun aug 17 2008..an unseasonably strong storm expected to impact southwestwashington and northwest oregon mid week...computer models agree on bringing an unseasonably strong storminto southwest washington and northwest oregon by the middle ofthis week. This storm is actually moderately strong even forwinter time...and will likely produce unusually strong winds forsummer along the coast and an unseasonably high amount ofrainfall.this system will likely produce gale force winds over the coastalwaters beginning late tuesday and continuing tuesday night. Windgusts along the immediate coast could reach 50 mph or more. Thisstorm also is forecast to have a very high moisture content...andwill likely produce a significant amount of rainfall throughoutmuch of southwest washington and northwest oregon tuesday nightand wednesday morning...and will likely make a very large dent inthe fire season in this area.be sure to monitor the latest forecasts through noaa weather radioor your latest weather news source for the latest updates on thisevolving and very unusual summer weather system.special weather statementnational weather service portland or140 pm pdt sun aug 17 2008...an unseasonably strong storm expected to impact southwestwashington and northwest oregon mid week...computer models agree on bringing an unseasonably strong storminto southwest washington and northwest oregon by the middle of this week.

This storm is actually moderately strong even for winter time...and will likely produce unusually strong winds forsummer along the coast and an unseasonably high amount ofrainfall.this system will likely produce gale force winds over the coastal waters beginning late tuesday and continuing tuesday night. Windgusts along the immediate coast could reach 50 mph or more.

This storm also is forecast to have a very high moisture content...and will likely produce a significant amount of rainfall throughout much of southwest washington and northwest oregon tuesday nightand wednesday morning...and will likely make a very large dent inthe fire season in this area.be sure to monitor the latest forecasts through noaa weather radioor your latest weather news source for the latest updates on thisevolving and very unusual summer weather system.

www.nws.noaa.gov...

[edit on 18-8-2008 by sanctum]

posted on Aug, 27 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Thanks for all the posts so far. Keep that severe weather coming

This is the latest on Tropical Storm Gustav

TROPICAL STORM GUSTAV FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 11
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL072008
2100 UTC WED AUG 27 2008

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR HAITI FROM THE DOMINICAN
REPUBLIC-HAITI BORDER WESTWARD TO LE MOLE ST NICHOLAS. A TROPICAL
STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED
WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

A HURRICANE WATCH AND A TROPICAL STORM WARNING ARE IN EFFECT FOR
JAMAICA.

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR CUBA FOR THE PROVINCES OF
GUANTANAMO...SANTIAGO DE CUBA...AND GRANMA.

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE CUBAN PROVINCES OF LAS
TUNAS AND HOLGUIN AND ALL OF THE CAYMAN ISLANDS.

INTERESTS IN CENTRAL AND WESTERN CUBA SHOULD CLOSELY MONITOR THE
PROGRESS OF GUSTAV.

TROPICAL STORM CENTER LOCATED NEAR 19.1N 74.4W AT 27/2100Z
POSITION ACCURATE WITHIN 20 NM

PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST OR 300 DEGREES AT 3 KT

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 999 MB
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 45 KT WITH GUSTS TO 55 KT.
34 KT....... 45NE 45SE 30SW 30NW.
12 FT SEAS.. 0NE 0SE 0SW 60NW.

REPEAT...CENTER LOCATED NEAR 19.1N 74.4W AT 27/2100Z
AT 27/1800Z CENTER WAS LOCATED NEAR 18.9N 74.0W

FORECAST VALID 28/0600Z 19.1N 75.2W
MAX WIND 50 KT...GUSTS 60 KT.
50 KT... 40NE 25SE 15SW 30NW.
34 KT... 60NE 60SE 40SW 50NW.

FORECAST VALID 28/1800Z 19.2N 76.6W
MAX WIND 60 KT...GUSTS 75 KT.
50 KT... 50NE 45SE 30SW 30NW.
34 KT... 75NE 75SE 60SW 75NW.

FORECAST VALID 29/0600Z 19.5N 78.1W
MAX WIND 70 KT...GUSTS 85 KT.
64 KT... 25NE 20SE 20SW 25NW.
50 KT... 50NE 40SE 40SW 50NW.
34 KT... 90NE 75SE 75SW 90NW.

Looks like its gonna get a bit stronger as it continues moving over that warm water. Also worth keeping an eye out on the east Atlantic. There are 2 depression out there that could produce something significant

posted on Aug, 31 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Latest Hurricane Gustav information, good luck to those in the southern US states. On behalf of us here at the Australian Bureau of Meteorology, stay safe and we will be keeping our eye in this one too

WTNT22 KNHC 310856
TCMAT2
HURRICANE GUSTAV FORECAST/ADVISORY NUMBER 27
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL072008
0900 UTC SUN AUG 31 2008

AT 4 AM CDT...0900 UTC...A HURRICANE WARNING IS ISSUED FOR THE
NORTHERN GULF COAST FROM CAMERON LOUISIANA EASTWARD TO THE
ALABAMA-FLORIDA BORDER...INCLUDING THE CITY OF NEW ORLEANS AND
LAKE PONTCHARTRAIN. A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE
CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24
HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED
TO COMPLETION.

AT 4 AM CDT...0900 UTC...A TROPICAL STORM WARNING IS ISSUED FROM
EAST OF THE ALABAMA-FLORIDA BORDER TO THE OCHLOCKONEE RIVER....AND
FROM WEST OF CAMERON LOUISIANA TO JUST EAST OF HIGH ISLAND TEXAS.
A TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE
EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

AT 4 AM CDT...0900 UTC...THE GOVERNMENT OF CUBA HAS DISCONTINUED ALL
WARNINGS AND WATCHES FOR CUBA.

A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM WEST OF CAMERON LOUISIANA
TO JUST EAST OF HIGH ISLAND TEXAS. A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT
HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY
WITHIN 36 HOURS.

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE LOWER FLORIDA
KEYS WEST OF THE SEVEN MILE BRIDGE TO THE DRY TORTUGAS.

HURRICANE CENTER LOCATED NEAR 24.2N 85.0W AT 31/0900Z
POSITION ACCURATE WITHIN 15 NM

PRESENT MOVEMENT TOWARD THE NORTHWEST OR 320 DEGREES AT 14 KT

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 958 MB
EYE DIAMETER 25 NM
MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 110 KT WITH GUSTS TO 125 KT.
64 KT....... 45NE 30SE 20SW 30NW.
50 KT.......120NE 75SE 60SW 75NW.
34 KT.......175NE 120SE 120SW 120NW.
12 FT SEAS..180NE 270SE 150SW 180NW.

REPEAT...CENTER LOCATED NEAR 24.2N 85.0W AT 31/0900Z
AT 31/0600Z CENTER WAS LOCATED NEAR 23.6N 84.4W

FORECAST VALID 31/1800Z 25.6N 86.3W
MAX WIND 120 KT...GUSTS 145 KT.
64 KT... 45NE 30SE 20SW 30NW.
50 KT...120NE 75SE 60SW 75NW.
34 KT...175NE 120SE 120SW 120NW.

FORECAST VALID 01/0600Z 27.5N 88.4W
MAX WIND 125 KT...GUSTS 155 KT.
64 KT... 60NE 45SE 40SW 50NW.
50 KT...120NE 90SE 70SW 80NW.
34 KT...175NE 150SE 130SW 140NW.