It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fight Club Pub.

page: 578
<< 575  576  577    579  580  581 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

LOL TWISI

brave move...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Not that your inability to answer my questions in a way that is consistent with your position isn't damning to your case, but I still feel a bit shorted for not actually seeing you contradict yourself.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The new theme song for ATS!!!!!!!!!!!

I fit that description.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by GAOTU789]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

LOL! Too funny. I heard the following song on a local station recently. It's one of those 'The best hits from the 80's, 90's, and Today!' channels. The second I heard it, it reminded me of the threads on ATS where someone claims due to their activity here, they now have agents or some mysterious figure after them. lol

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by budski

My third post is up! Volley!

- G'night all.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Hey here's an idea for a possible debate rule-change, after the current tournament.

How about changing the external sourcing rule from a limit of 10 sentences, to a measure based on word count? Like, 100-200 words?

My though is, very often I've looked for external sources, and find that some very good material is not usable, simply because of writing style. There are many excellent writers that simply tend to write short, direct sentences, and not string things together with commas and semicolons. That shouldn't be penalized.

And I also find myself, sometimes, searching for the sort of long-winded sources who can write an entire paragraph, unifying many specific points, pulling in several facts and figures, placing everything in subclauses, and put everything in one single sentence. That kind of bias towards possibly-needless complexity can negatively impact clarity, and that's unfair.

There is also the point about how to count sentences in material like lists, headlines, etc. If a list is separated by semicolons at the end of each item, it that still one sentence? That seems a rather arbitrary distinction.

Just throwing this idea out there, to use word count instead, to see what others think. Regardless, I would of course not advocate any change of the rules during the current tournament, or any establishment of a mandatory measure. Just perhaps a modification of the 'default' rules.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

nice try

but be aware that the women are still on duty!

WE are taking over the FCP

edit:

@ian
great idea!
i am in
i also have been confused by list items – how many sentences are these: one sentence one line?

so word count would be great
i could use an extra word doc for my external sources and the word count will be done by the program

[edit on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 05:21:55 -0500 by orange-light]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
My closing statement is posted, with a whole 14 minutes left to spare:

Round 2: Ian McLean vs 44soulslayer: "Here Ye! Here Ye!, Read All About It!"

It's all you now, 44ss. Good luck; it was a pleasure.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
... I feel like a broken doll... I am awake, but my eyes will not stay open... Men came to my house last night... and stayed... they are gone now... but have left me in pieces.. with eyes that do not work anymore... may God have mercy on the United States of America... for the next 10 days...

EDIT TO ADD: That sounds kinkier than I intend...

[edit on 15-3-2009 by TheWayISeeIt]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Ian McLean

Traditionally the rules have been interpereted to allow unlimited summary of the content of references. The cap on direct quotes was concieved so that fighters couldn't substitute the writing of a scholar for their own as the backbone of their case (if memory serves, we almost completely removed external quotes at one point, but realized they were too useful for deciding individual points of contention.

Edit to add: I do believe that an open review by all fighters regarding what they considered the strengths and weaknesses of the rules, topic selection, etc might be useful after the tournament.

[edit on Sun 15 Mar 2009 by The Vagabond]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

What men? peacejet: we may be on the road but we are still watching...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Good point TWISI: list items were never covered by the rules (Although I've rarely found situations where list items really had to be quoted- they can usually be handled in summary as I mentioned to Ian). If we eventually put them in I would suggest using an approximation based on word count. Maybe 5-10 list items per sentence.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well, Sundae and I survived our first parade. She actually did fairly well considering it was her first parade. Neither the fire engines nor the loud motorcycles nor the balloons fazed her, although she does seem to think that cows eat horses.

I didn't do as well my first time trying to back up my horse trailer. Go ahead, have a free laugh at the "woman driver" who put a dent in the trailer with the truck bumper because I tried to turn too sharply.

Anyways, both Sundae and I are fine and the truck is fine, no innocent bystanders were injured or killed and there are no lawsuits pending. So, as my husband explains it, it was a great day!

PJ, you go right ahead and take the lead.

The lead goose takes the brunt of the wind

the bird in the lead position will experience a greater air resistance and will have to work a little harder

Just make sure you keep your speed up so you don't get run over...

TWISI, did the MIB's come after you, or what? I'm confused.

I agree that word count - or even character count - might be more useful for counting direct quotes than sentences. There is just too much variation in sentence length, depending on who you're quoting.

I also agree that a review of the rules after the tournament would be a good project for us.

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Good point TWISI: list items were never covered by the rules (Although I've rarely found situations where list items really had to be quoted- they can usually be handled in summary as I mentioned to Ian). If we eventually put them in I would suggest using an approximation based on word count. Maybe 5-10 list items per sentence.

What point? I didn't make any point. My brain is too busy mourning its recent losses to make any points.

Also, I do not like the sound of you suddenly wanting to redefine 'list items' after you decided to mouth-off yesterday about how genius your web-based resources were.

Uh-uh. I want to stick with whatever rules that are in place now, and am not for ANY REINTERPRETATION of the amount of list items per sentence.

So there

@heike - I took candy from a stranger...

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

sounds like fun!

so you got nice visitors who are now on a road trip

hope you will recover soon!

edit:

@heike
we have to figure out who the leading goose is!

peacejet better accepts any female fighter as leading goose

[edit on Sun, 15 Mar 2009 13:47:12 -0500 by orange-light]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Good point TWISI: list items were never covered by the rules .

i guess you are mixing twisi with orange

we share the femaleness and fighter status - but otherwise we are both individuals

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Well, thats round two closed out.

Enjoyed that debate
I hope Truth did too.

This debating lark doesn't half make you think eh? I've had my head in all kinds of different websites in the past couple of weeks. Loving it

Its my round - so its a double SoCo on the rocks for everyone. Drink up!

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt
... I feel like a broken doll... I am awake, but my eyes will not stay open... Men came to my house last night... and stayed... they are gone now... but have left me in pieces.. with eyes that do not work anymore... may God have mercy on the United States of America... for the next 10 days...

Wow. I thought for sure, if anyone could handle Mem and SDog, it would be TWISI.

I have a couple weeks before they arrive in New York – how far is far enough to run?

edit to say (perhaps needlessly
) that I am in complete agreement that a rule overhaul post-tournament would be a Good Thing.

[edit on 3/15/2009 by americandingbat]

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

you are welcome at my place

they won.t be able to cross the ocean by car!

when shall i be at the airport to pick you up?

posted on Mar, 15 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by orange-light

I don't know orange, what if they decide to get on a boat

top topics

<< 575  576  577    579  580  581 >>

join