It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any mental preperations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Im just curious alot of people on ATS are prepared for some kind of sit x both with equipment and physically, but who is prepared mentally and emotionally?Its one thing to have all your guns and bug out bag and what not and say im ready but when SHTF?Your family and friends are dead and your being chased and havnt slept in days can you cope can you think straight?Will you become a liability to those around you regardless if you can hunt and make a fire?Its easy for us all to kid ourselves with our bobs and make shift shelters we have assembled in good times to say we are prepared for the worst but honestly how long can you live out of a cold shelter and just using your bob and wits before you crack?

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azador
Im just curious alot of people on ATS are prepared for some kind of sit x both with equipment and physically, but who is prepared mentally and emotionally?Its one thing to have all your guns and bug out bag and what not and say im ready but when SHTF?Your family and friends are dead and your being chased and havnt slept in days can you cope can you think straight?Will you become a liability to those around you regardless if you can hunt and make a fire?Its easy for us all to kid ourselves with our bobs and make shift shelters we have assembled in good times to say we are prepared for the worst but honestly how long can you live out of a cold shelter and just using your bob and wits before you crack?

No One can ever be "ready" for that, and be socially productive.

You just do the best you can in the situation you find yourself in, for as long as you can, without voiding your 'path' in life up to that point.

Dont forget that dying is Not all that bad, if you die for something, or someone.

If it gets that bad, make it count for others.

In the mean time, try to live as peacful as possible, and help anyone you can without hurting yourself.

Spiritually I'm prepared. I live it daily.

Best Regards,

Blitzkreigen

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Azador

Ya just have to wake up and accept that those are the facts, right now, cos the sooner you can do that the better, sit x could be just around the corner.
Your family is likely to die, all of them, accept it now. You will most likely die yourself, maybe very painfully, accept it now. Think about it as a reality in your head, let it sink in.
Its good cos on the off chance that you and/or your family dont die, youll be leasantly surprised.
As for living out of a shelter, eating very little, maybe being chased or hunted etc, these are things that you will naturally grow accustomed to. These are the price you pay for finally feeling alive.
That feeling we all get, like somethings missing, like there must be more to life than this, thats our primal animal yearing to truly live. To enjoy and experience the same freedom and reality of life that the animals do, that feeling will come with having to fight for life in the 'real' world every day. An appreciation of life will over come any discomfort of living.
At least, this is what I try and think, might not work for everyone.
I guess I wont really know till, oh say about 54 months from now.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
PMA - Positive Mental Attitude and a happy-go-lucky / chirpy persona work wonders.

I was starting a new job offshore and very apprehensive of the new scene. But having this and the people around you also having it goes a long way.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Take a fire starting kit into deep mountain country and stay there for a few days and nights with just whats in your BOB.

Do this every other month with fitness training and your body and mind will start to get up to speed.

Being alone in the mountains is a test of a mans mind, nothing more or less. Solitude is the greatest testing ground of all.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Azador
Its easy for us all to kid ourselves with our bobs and make shift shelters we have assembled in good times to say we are prepared for the worst but honestly how long can you live out of a cold shelter and just using your bob and wits before you crack?

I can tell, you're not ready.

But then, neither am I - But at least i'm in a position to help others as well as myself.

Assume for a second your family and friends aren't dead, and all of a sudden you and your little band of survivors, most of whom you know, are thrust into a situation which requires leadership and strategy.

Can you trust another man or woman to lead you through the darkness?

Can you trust a stranger to lead you through the darkness?

There is much to be said for prior planning and preparation, but flexibility in the face of rigid conditions is something that is to be valued.

There are situations which i'm aware of, dire situations which probably should not be talked about, where thinking straight is usually a first-class ticket to piss-up's ville.

For example; You are faced with a meat-grinder in front of you - an army of rioters with nothing better to do but loot the remains of a dead society, and behind you is nothing other but exactly the same thing, but coming your way.

Thinking straight would probably lead you into a rather nasty little fight, wouldn't it?

There's something to be said for diversity of personality, as after all only a nutter can come up with a nutty solution to an even nuttier problem.

Is there any real mentality that is capable of dealing with the stresses that will be placed on an individual's mind during the times of a SitX?

Of course there isn't - No one can stand up against a massive loss like that, an entire way of life, an entire world extinguished, and you expect to be able to bear up to that?

However, there is something you're missing; the key point is recovery.

So long as you're not dead and you're still living, and you have the capacity to overcome injury, be it physical OR mental.

The advantage of a mental wound is that one can learn to recognise how to deal with it, the same way a medic can recognise how to deal with a physical wound.

Survival encompasses more than physical properties of the world, and no one expects to come through a SitX un-scathed.

The mind is as vulnerable to injury as the body, and hiding away from that fact will lead to a true mental breakdown - just like with the body, if you're not acknowledging you are vulnerable to attack then how are you going to know what to do when you're pinned down under sniper fire?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Being pinned by sniper fire is the single most unpleasent experience a man can ever have. Not knowing who / where / why is a real kick in the nuts for morale thats for sure.

However, if you have thought about it / trained for it your training kicks in and you deal with it.

SITX is going to be bad, very bad, but you will also be free.

Thats right, you will be free. What you think is right WILL be right, not what a ponce in a wig says is right or wrong a thousand miles away.

The chaos will bring a freedom, and that in turn will bring an understanding and release from your cell you have been placed in since birth.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Freedom is subjective, friend.

While you may, to all appearances, be free - you are only imprisioned within the physical world in which we can see.

You are Free to Live or Die, that is all.

What you choose to do with your life has nothing to do with freedom, it's more about personal judgement than anything else.

The freedom you speak of will come with a price, and that price will destroy any quaint ideal of being 'free' you have.

You will literally have the freedom of choosing whether to live or to die.

Getting caught up with petty notions of building a new society based on your own personal judgement is a surefire way of getting stabbed in the back.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Anti-Tyrant]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Mental preparation is the only thing i am working on to be honest. If some sitx is to occur and we get the full brunt of the worst conspiracy out there i don't think i want to life in such a world where at first people think of such a thing and second the rest of the world was being willfully ignorant about the whole case. So yeah, i'm mentally prepared to take whatever is going to happen with some kind of acceptance and if i die somehow, so be it.

(mentally)Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

[edit on 2-6-2008 by Harman]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I'm ready. It pains me more to see this world the way it is right this minute than any apocalypse would bring.

I'm ready to abandon everything i know for the new path, whatever it may be, i'm ready now, for a chance to break the wicked circle and build something new and just out of the rubble.

I'm ready to endure whatever happens. Ready to sleep on the ground, to be hot, cold, wet, dry, tired, whatever, i'm ready. I'm ready to appreciate solitude, ready to march 50 miles a day with a full pack, ready to march 50 miles a day with no pack, ready to do whatever it takes.

And yes, i'm prepared to die right this second. My peace is made with
Allah. My life has been fulfilling and i'm satisfied with what i've accomplished thus far.

top topics

join