It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immortality. Who wants it.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barak89
but if i gave up a few more years and found out nothing after death existed at all..that would be kinda sucky.

I can't even comprehend nothing after death.

It's like trying to 'remember where I was before I was born'.It hurts my head..

I already feel 'chained' to the planet and will be whizzing around the cosmos looking for 'space-chicks' as soon as I shuffle off this mortal coil..

Hope they look like a cross between '7 of 9' and 'T,Pol'.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sandman692

Yeah, I agree with all you are saying. But it is something we would never quite know until it happened. But of course greatness comes with risk sometimes. I highly doubt I will live past the average age but sometimes thinking of having more time is nice. I hardly trust my alarm clock to go off when it is supposed to so I don't know how I could deal with having nano-machines roving around in my body

I also think that Immortality is quite a scary issue and one that maybe not yet but in the future will have to be taken seriously. Same as time travel. It may be cool but in the wrong hands it could cause destruction untold. Maybe it would be best to not achieve endless life? All this sis just speculation on my part, I am far from an expert.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
To be able to stop physical growth and choose to die when you felt content with what you had learned from this life would be the closest i think we could ever come to immortality

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Immortality beats becoming food for the maggots maybe some of your blood turned to oil and then you get to be reincarnated as the fuel for a tractor. Seriously it's no mystery what happens when you die. Your remains are consumed. In fact I feel like immortality should be the goal of humanity. To evolve and be immortal would be a nice kicker.
My personal belief is that the only thing relevant to an afterlife that anything experiences is having the one cell combine with her cell and become an offspring of you. Reproduction and continuation of DNA.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
A topic of my own inward reflection, I believe we all are immortals already.

We've been through mortal lives many times, some of us now come back by choice, others are here by force.

IMHO, we are already immortals, just not in the way mankind "technologists" want.

They want the "here and now" to be "the end all be all".

Pity for them I say.

After a life cycle here(or on other planets) completes, you move forward. To try and use technology to stay in the physical, is very much like standing still.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Immortality is the greatest curse that could be placed upon a man.

The greatest boon would be the ability to choose your time of death. If I could choose my time of death, I would probably live a couple of hundred years... I would work my way through life, experience everything and gain knowledge, and then peacefully pass into the next adventure.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Yah...id like to live a few hundred years...maybe to six or seven hundred,just to see if we get ourselves out this grave we are digging ourselves and reach a place where humanity is in balance with nature,themselves and the universe we live in...I also dont want there to be an afterlife,which there probably isn't..but if there is im going to be severely pissed!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I think after about 500 years you'd start getting "out of memory" errors.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
To live for generations.. To see humanity evolve over time and individuals change..

Would be horribly boring. I think you'd probably, for the most part, see the same set of people being born and dying. Not actually the same people, but the same ideals and personalities.

What I want is to get to that place that I can feel but can't yet see or touch.

To be honest, I think the average life expectancy as it is today, is right about where people should be. Maybe 90-100, but the human body kills itself over time for a reason.

Plus, people just aren't as interesting alive. I hope when I die, people will be able to sit near my grave and wonder, "What the hell was this dude thinking??"

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   

CBS) How’s this for an offer you can’t refuse: how would you like to live say, 400 or 500 years, or even more and all of them in perfect health? It’s both a Utopian and a nightmare scenario but there are those who say it is well within the realm of possibility.

Though we live longer and healthier lives than our grandparents, 100 is more or less the outer limit because, catastrophic disease aside, we just plain wear out. But 60 Minutes correspondent Morley Safer talked to one scientist who says that’s old-fashioned thinking, that sometime in the next 20 to 30 years or so we’ll be able to recondition ourselves for the first steps towards immortality. Source

I would love to be immortal, but I would still want the possibility of death.
I would try and gain as much knowledge that I could, and live multiple lives.
I would be a wondering Ronin for one age, and an famous artist the next.
I would be know by multiple names, and no name at all.
I would reach the highest state of consciousness, and then move on...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
If the 5 sense universe theories are correct then when you 'die' the universe you created with your '5 senses' ceases to exist. So in a way dying is selfish as everyone else goes with you!!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Barak89

yes to live forever-----that is the reward that Messiah says those that accept His sacrifice/payment for our sins can be given----living forever in a family of G-D Beings that are not consumned with hatred.

Love makes all the difference-----i would not desire to live forever either in this world of crime and hate------G-D will not permit this present way of life to continue that we now experience.
Messiah will end satans rule, as the fake "god" of this earth(2corinthians4:4) who the first man and woman chose for us by their rebellion in the garden that G-D made for them(genesis3)
and He will again rebuild the whole earth into a paradise starting at His return and will enforce peace for the next 1000 years after.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye
I would only want mortality if my family could live it with me. If they go then I must go with them and hopefully before my children. That's the only way. To live forever without your true loves would be torture.

Thats exactly how I feel. Immortality would be hell on earth for me, especially with no end in sight.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I have never had a relationship with a female...or have children...so maybe my point was a bit bias in that regard...but as to people who wish fo an afterlife?? WTF? i understand im an atheist etc...but that has to be the worst possible outcome imagineable...for me atleast...How does that make you feel happy etc?

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Lethil]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barak89
reply to post by evanmontegarde

Yeah, I agree. I can't possibly fathom ten million years anyway, but I would like to live long enough to see the sights so to speak. Maybe gain enough knowledge to reach god status

I really would like to see the world in 300 or 400 years, the technology the people, see how the world itself changes.

There won't be any "people" here in 300 to 400 years. We're killing each other off too quickly. We'll be lucky if our species lasts another decade. Maybe, if we're lucky, another 100 years. But unless something changes drastically, we're done.
As for immortality, I'd take it, if it meant I couldn't die under any circumstances. Then I'd use that gift to do some "cleaning" up, so to speak. Earth needs a good enema right about now.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
imagine...growing old but never dying, just getting older, and older... that would be tortuous. And imagine if you got into a state like Merlin, immortal, but stuck in his stone chair for eternity. yeesh. I rekon eternal youth, coupled with invulnerability, and generally being able to do the stuff Superman can would be more appealing to me heh heh

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Haha, yeah I agree with the cleaning up part. I wouldn't mind immortality so I could learn all that I can. As long as I have someone to share my life with, some great friends, wouldn't be too bad. But if humanity was to die off and I was the only human walking around in a world of robots, that would suck.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

The earth could certainly use a lot of clean up work I can agree with you there. I can't see the human race being gone in 10-100 years though, well through our own designs anyway. Most of the race is ignorant and may die as you predict but there are still plenty good thinking resilient people out there. We would survive and adapt or move away from this planet in enough given time. I for one would like to see this adventure and maybe take place. 99% chance this won't happen but who knows.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
You know, when I was a child, I did childish things. I played as a child, acted as a child, and learned as a child. I was for all intent and purpose uncaring about the future. I lived in the moment, breathing life, learning from it, evolving from it. This being said I truly felt I was immortal then. I think that is what immortallity is, without fear of tomarrow, and what it brings. As long as you live in the moment, for the moment, you are always immortal.

I remember when I hit puberty. I think I was 12 at the time. I was at this library, and I found a witchcraft book. In the book, it described how to become an immortal werewolf, human by day, wolf by night. BTW, side not Witch Hazel taken in large doses gives you all kinds of issues. NOT RECOMMENDED. The mushrooms were nice, so wasn't the weed. You know what though, when I woke up in the morning buck naked in the woods freezing my ass off in 40f weather, I learned, I really didn't want it that bad.

I think to truly know if you want to be immortal or not would be determing by whether or not you can see the future. Would you want to be immortal forever, after the sun exploded and you were alone, cold, in the dark? No one would. Then again, if the future was paradise, and you knew you would be able to travel whenever, to whereever, exploring all possibilities, forever, would it not interest you.

Imagine being immortal, having a time machine, and going back in time and having sex with eve. Would that make you your own great grandfather eventually? On a side note, what if you banged Adam too, what if he liked it? Just saying that living immortally is only as good as the life you could have, and knowing the capabilities before hand.

just some stuff to think about.

Cheers,

camain

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Barak89

I'm all for Immortality. That's why I play D&D. It's always a Character Goal of mine (though I hardly play Wizards, the only class with a real chance at working up to that). However, it's simply not practical.

Sometimes I think I'd do great for the world. With an Eternity to broaden the mind and stregthen the body there would be little I couldn't do to help solve things.

Other times I think I would be a pendulum. A test unto myself. Try a decade of decadence and immorality, experiance what the big deal is about. Then go a decade of purity and chaste. Try different things, and in the end there would be nothing I hadn't tried.

Never is my idea to be nefarious throughout, though. I'd miss the joy of helping others. Vigilante, perhaps.

However, there would be great pain. All you ever love would die as you live on. It would either crack you or numb you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join