It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immortality. Who wants it.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I know many of us have probabaly wanted to be Immortal at some point in time. But what really drives us to be Immortal. I certainly wouldn't mind it. But not living forever like some would. I think I would get way to bored after the first couple thousand years. I would say my own hunger for knowledge and adventure would drive me to want to live long enough to learn the things I want to, and see some of the universe.

I was wondering if anyone here was interested at all in Immortality and what is everyones opinion on it. Like it? Hate it? And what are the reasons behind your ideas. I would love to debate this and maybe learn a little more about it at the same time.

I found a cool site as well www.imminst.org It seems to have everything you could want to know about immortality and many many other things as well.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
As Douglas Adams once wrote, "The first ten million years were the worst...the second ten million years, those were the worst too..."

I think eventually you'd get sick of living and just want to die.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by evanmontegarde

Yeah, I agree. I can't possibly fathom ten million years anyway, but I would like to live long enough to see the sights so to speak. Maybe gain enough knowledge to reach god status

I really would like to see the world in 300 or 400 years, the technology the people, see how the world itself changes.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Interesting idea.

Would this hypothetical immortality be something one could rescind, if they changed their minds? Become mortal again?

AND! would it come with invulnerability also? I'd think that might be one of the horrifying aspects of immortality, if not. Imagine being immortal, but all banged up, perhaps in a vegetative state. I think there's a word for that and it's HELL.

So......... if there were choices, and invulnerability came with it? Yeah, I'd probably opt for it, but only if my companion got the same deal, and the price wasn't too dear.

Man, who'd have thought I'd discuss such a thing just a month ago?

Thanks for the thought-provoking thread

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
i don't think that immortality would benefit humanity in the long run. if immortality were something that were attainable, then it would lead to a scenario of overpopulation like nothing the world has ever seen. on the other hand, living to see multiple generations of your family grow up and prosper would be a wonderful thing to be a part of, especially being able to say that you lived through events that your grandchildren's grandchildren will only read about.

but then you have to consider the ramifications of living forever. if you believe in god and his divine plan, then by you achieving eternal life would that not interfere with his plan, since when he created man, he gave them a life that would come to and end? then again, since our entire existence is but a blink of an eye for god, and he has seen everything that was, is, and is to be, if you achieved everlasting life, has he not already seen this, and was this part of his plan for you? however, i digress, this path of thinking leads down a never ending rabbit hole of questions and theories. lets look at another viewpoint. shall we?

if you don't believe in god, or life after death to be more specific, then immortality is a great deal for you, after all, if nothing happens when you die, and you just cease to be, then it stands to reason that you would want to live as long as you could in this life, and what better way than to never die.

and lastly, does being immortal mean that your body also stays young, or just that you never die? i mean, it's one thing if you live 1000 years never looking older than 25, but it's another thing entirely to live 1000 years growing ever older. i can't say i would want immortality personally, especially with the way the world is going these days. if the world falls into chaos, i don't want to be the only person living with the cockroaches, know what i mean? ;p

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

In my mind I see it as being mortal except..living a lot lot longer. Being invulnerable would be nice though I agree. I think your right though, I would have to have someone take the journey with me, I don't think I could stomach it with being alone for so long.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
If all of my wounds healed and I never aged past maturity, I'd go for it. I wouldn't want everyone to be able to do this, however... Just me, I'm selfish

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sandman692

I see your point. Lets talk about the second viewpoint

I think that If immortality were achieved while still using your original physical body then, It could stay young forever. Maybe at its prime. It would need help from some outside force such as nano-machines that are constantly cleaning and killing off disease and other harmful aliens to your system. Of course we have to think that if we have the technology to be Immortal then we will probabaly have the technology to sustain our lives at the same time.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by sandman692

I'm gald someone mentioned the overpopulation issue, which is out of hand in the present time anyway.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
To be physically immortal would be a curse. to never experience life from a fresh perspective on a regular basis, to be able to be trapped in suffering with not even the hope of death for escape. you may not see it now but its better to be able to die than to be able to live forever in one form

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barak89

I think that If immortality were achieved while still using your original physical body then, It could stay young forever.

as appealing as this sounds, i guess it would depend on the way that the immortality was, for lack of a better term, brought about. who is to say that your body will stay young, unless this type of immortality is manufactured in a lab somewhere, where results can be (hopefully) guaranteed. if we're talking about a fountain of youth or indiana jones holy grail type situation, then it could be a bag of surprises what happens to you.

It would need help from some outside force such as nano-machines that are constantly cleaning and killing off disease and other harmful aliens to your system. Of course we have to think that if we have the technology to be Immortal then we will probabaly have the technology to sustain our lives at the same time.

but what if we don't have those machines, or the technology? sometimes it takes a while for a technology to be caught up to, for example, i read somewhere that there are labs in the world that are manufacturing virus strains that are extremely deadly right now, but not a cure. they can't make a cure for something that they haven't created just yet, so who is to say that if they make you immortal, that they can guarantee the condition of your body will stay just so? if it were possible, just think of all the work it would take to keep your body looking like that though...

and the nanomachines, what happens if while the are cleaning your body, they malfunction, and start treating normal healthy cells as though they were diseased cells? you'd be screwed then, and on top of that, it would be the most ironic way to be destroyed... to be destroyed by the very machines that were working to keep you looking young.

*edited for spelling*

[edit on 28-5-2008 by sandman692]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ecidemon
If all of my wounds healed and I never aged past maturity, I'd go for it. I wouldn't want everyone to be able to do this, however... Just me, I'm selfish

You'd go celibate rather quick with that one! Once that promised end of the world senario comes around haha, what torture you'd be in.

I wouldn't want to live immortally, not on this world. I'd only want to live longer, say..200, having my growth rate cut in half so when i hit 200 i'd look 100, 100 looking 50 and so on. I wouldn't want to be invulnerable either. If you couldn't feel pain, what other nerves would become insensitive? No more fear? No more sorrow? No more happiness? No more love? Doesn't sound fun. Only through the darkness may you see the light. I personally would not want to feel the ramifications from a great fall or anything. I wouldn't want to compare to an x-men but somewhat similar to Wolverine lol, you still feel it but it gets fixed w/o a doctor's bill!

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I would only want mortality if my family could live it with me. If they go then I must go with them and hopefully before my children. That's the only way. To live forever without your true loves would be torture.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
"We want to live forever, and we're getting there."
- Bill Clinton

I think www.imminst.org has that on video..

So what is our Government's involvement and interest in immortality?
I would HIGHLY recommend the following threads and links-

Beyond Conspiracy: Artificial General Intelligence (Newsletter Special)
(by IgnoranceIsntBlisss)

Artificial Intelligence is a commonly known concept. The full understanding of it, and the military establishments extensive programs in it are quite the opposite. It's not even something they're keeping all too secret, however the American and World Public are being completely blindsided by this coming reality that is sure to change the world as we know it like history has never seen before nor will be able to predict it's outcome.

The motives driving this thrust into the unknown is vast. For some, like the rulers who truly control it's direction, the motive is unprecedented control and power. For others, such as the 'brains' behind it, it's the vision and lust of technology and accomplishment itself. Each thus far generally seek "Transhumanism" (to become "Posthuman entities") and their theory of indefinite lifespans / immortality that the bio-nano sciences are presenting as possible.

* Couple More Years: Artificial Intelligence and "Religions Last Stand"
* An Inconvenient Truth ON Al Gore: The Google A.I. Conspiracy
* Dubya and Al Gore's unknown unholy alliance.
* DARPA's iXo Artificial Intelligence Control Grid: 'The Official Version'

See also:
wiki: Technological Singularity

The technological singularity is a hypothesised point in the future variously characterized by the technological creation of self-improving intelligence, unprecedentedly rapid technological progress, or some combination of the two.

wiki: Transhumanism

Transhumanism (sometimes symbolized by >H or H+), a term often used as a synonym for "human enhancement", is an international, intellectual and cultural movement supporting the use of science and technology to enhance human mental and physical abilities and aptitudes, and overcome what it regards as undesirable and unnecessary aspects of the human condition, such as disability, suffering, disease, aging and involuntary death. Transhumanist thinkers study the possibilities and consequences of developing and using human enhancement techniques and other emerging technologies for these purposes. Possible dangers, as well as benefits, of powerful new technologies that might radically change the conditions of human life are also of concern to the transhumanist movement.

I think the super rich, aka the ELITE, would seriously consider technology that enables immortality. Overpopulation? Who says the little people like us would have access to such technology? We're nothing a good disease or war can't take care of. Could you imagine? Our leaders and the most powerful people on earth, actually immortal? Talk about "God-like" status. The push for that goal by the most power-hungry people on earth is quite real.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
i wouldnt want to live forever, but to live to my 90's and remain looking like im in my 20's would be special. Looking at old people makes me a little sad because time is cheap and before we know it we have spent up, im in my 20's and wish i was in my teens. Its a youthfull life im looking for rather than a long one, thats probably why the James deans, Jim morissons of the world are so iconic, denied life but granted eternal youth.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by aecreate

Having Al Gore immortal and inconveniencing truth for all eternity..
save us

In all seriousness now, thank your for those links. I have to go but I will be sure to read them when I get home. Good Ideas too, I never spent to much thought on the scenarios you outlined.

Thanks for everyones opinion thus far.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by evanmontegarde
"The first ten million years were the worst...the second ten million years, those were the worst too..."

"After that I went into a bit of a decline..."

Death has to be the greatest adventure we face..
Immortality would be horrendous..

Imagining never having the chance to be re-incarnated and seeing if you could do better next time.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Well I certainly don't mind the adventure of death, but if i gave up a few more years and found out nothing after death existed at all..that would be kinda sucky. Of course..I wouldn't know so oh well

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Yes immortal and not getting old could be fun for some time. But really immortal so you cannot die would be a curse

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join