It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Immortality. Who wants it.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by sandman692

I am thinking that he meant after gaining knowledge throughout the ages you could gain the ability to modify your own body, therefore turning yourself into a vampire of sorts. I could be wrong though.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I want it but I believe I already have it.

Limit yourself to immortality in the flesh and you will be disappointed.

I want immortality so I can read and learn everything I can. It would be awesome to learn how to be a carpenter as well as a doctor or gentic engineeror even know and conquer the art of origami.

I want to see the bad times because it would make me oh so appreciate any good times.

I want to see the expansion of the mind and soul.

I want to go to the center of this Earth and any others, I want to know the depths of the sea.

I want to be able to advance my self enough to help whoever I could.

But yeah, it would suck if I were immortal, someone blew our planet up 20,00000 years from now and I was stuck spinning in space because I was immortal

Or being caught in a wood grinder and laying around in 3000 parts going "CRAP, it sucks being immortal"

As long as you can hold and understand love in your fiber, I don't see how you could ever truly get tired of life. Bored at times sure..

b

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I ment...
Change and tune your body genetically to become one.You can do anything with knowledge, so why not change the way your body works to become a vampire, but I'll tell you something, vampiers are boring.
I thought you would want to do something else, like fix the puzzle, grow 4 legs, become an aquatinc beeing, learn how to fly, learn how to travel to other planets plus infinite plus infinite plus infinite.Anything go's since you are imortal, you have time to learn anything.

I my self would like to have pojects, build things out of my pojects.I would be a 50903 years old wise man.You could even solve god's existance in this time.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by pepsi78]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barak89

I am thinking that he meant after gaining knowledge throughout the ages you could gain the ability to modify your own body, therefore turning yourself into a vampire of sorts. I could be wrong though.

Yes, that is what I ment.But like I explained vampiers are boring.Why would any one want to become a vampire.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The Soldier Of Darkness

Dark, Pepsi was referring to you. After 10,000 years you could possibly know enough knowledge of organisms to become a Vampire. You had stated powers like a Vampire.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barak89
I know many of us have probabaly wanted to be Immortal at some point in time. But what really drives us to be Immortal. I certainly wouldn't mind it. But not living forever like some would. I think I would get way to bored after the first couple thousand years. I would say my own hunger for knowledge and adventure would drive me to want to live long enough to learn the things I want to, and see some of the universe.

I was wondering if anyone here was interested at all in Immortality and what is everyones opinion on it. Like it? Hate it? And what are the reasons behind your ideas. I would love to debate this and maybe learn a little more about it at the same time.

I found a cool site as well www.imminst.org It seems to have everything you could want to know about immortality and many many other things as well.

If you mean immortality is ONE Earthly life .... no thx not me

Since I believe in reïncarnation however, I think in some way we ARE all immortal.. that is .. our Soul's are.

A Soul is Energy and only changes its form when we die

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
i allways wondered if when you gain the status of imortal what happens when the place you live "earth" ends. what happens to you? d you go drifting into deep space? i wonder....

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
At the end, there may only be ONE! The true Highlander.

Personally, I would like to have immortality. Exploring and discoving the many mysteries in our universe is very motivating.

But what's better is having omnipotence. Gotta get me some of that.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by matt_kev11
i allways wondered if when you gain the status of imortal what happens when the place you live "earth" ends. what happens to you? d you go drifting into deep space? i wonder....

Hmmm I don't know but I do know the Kabbalists say that when a person dies all the Light they've revealed through their actions is released into the universe.

I like to believe that Light = life-energy which I refer to as Soul.

When I was in a coma, many yrs ago, I was 'allowed' to see some fragments of 'reïncarnations I had and one I will have in the far far future ..... I experienced myself as being something like an invisible cloud, like gas, it's there but not visible for our eyes, and I floating through the Universe in the direction of a new Star that was about to be born.

Yea sounds crazy, I know
but I felt complete happy and one with ALL.

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I do like the positive comments in this thread.

Because I remember a few years ago a similar thread, but most of the comments were negative, this wont happen comments.

I guess over time more and more people are seeing longer life highly possible with future science and technology.

[edit on 30-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

There's so many mysteries and places to see and experience, I would want more time in my life to do it. Seeing the long term effects on humans after Disclosure on UFOs and Aliens would be worthwhile.

I think the pros outweigh the cons with this hypothetical question.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more negativity. Most people that do acknowledge the possibility of something so profound don't look at all the great adventures it would come with they only look at the negative things. But the fact that it could be happening in our lifetime is still slow to take on but within the next decade or so I think we will see some HUGE happenings in the scientific world, Immortality something we hear a lot more about.

On a side not I would like to thank everyone for sharing their ideas, so far all have had very good ideas and opinions on the issue.

posted on May, 31 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Why desire that which we already have?

Consciousness is already immortal. As for being an immortal in this world... I suppose if it holds my interest long enough, then sure.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Barak89

I do agree with the popularity of science fiction in TV and silver screen have allowed the masses to expand their minds. Just a little. It has helped the masses look at such things like immortality and see its pros and cons.

One of the challenges of being immortal is keeping it a secret. You don't want people to know you're immortal. The jealous or religious fanatics might see you negatively. Or, heaven forbid, scientists who dissect you to find out how.

Benefit is having the knowledge and hopefully wisdom to accumulate wealth to live well. Or do good in society with your centuries of wisdom.

I always thought Groundhog Day, starring Bill Murray, was a great movie which touches on the quesiton of immortality. What would you do with it?

posted on Jun, 5 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
i was nosing around on foxnews for some reason earlier today, and came across this article:

Fountain of Youth

after reading it, it just seemed to me that these doctors... they just make this stuff up as they go along... way back at the turn of the 20th century, doctors said smoking was good for you. when black and white TV was all the rage, drinking milk was far more important than water, and you HAD to have it to develop properly. now that clean water can't be found anywhere, you HAVE to drink 8 glasses of it a day to stay hydrated.

look, i know this is a little off topic in regards to immortality and such, but i seriously doubt that medical science will discover a way to extend life to the point of immortality, and even if they did, i can only imagine what that commercial would be like... i imagine that it would go something like this:

Introducing IMMORTEX! the new drug from Pfizer that will make you live FOREVER!

Are you tired of things like wrinkles, old age, and death? well FORGET about all of that, those are things of the past now! with IMMORTEX, you'll retain your youthful looks and live as long as you want!

then the little fast talking voice chimes in

IMMORTEX should not be taken if you are pregnant, hope to become pregnant, or if you are over the age of 30, because it's too late for you...

possible side effects may include:
drowsiness, diarrhea, impotence, dwarfism, greasy anal discharges, bleeding from every orifice in your body, hallucinations, severe brain hemmoraging, spontaneous combustion, and in somewhat rare cases, death.

make sure to speak with your doctor to see if IMMORTEX is right for you!

ok, so yeah, i think i'll take my short time on this earth and then check out of this hellhole and see what another plane of existence has to offer, hehe.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Hahaha! Immortex sounds like its FDA approved and ready to be sold over-the-shelf. Woohoo! I am so there. Nice touch with the side-effects. Those drug commercials always crack me up when they start listing things that "may" happen to you while taking their medicine.

I've asked some friends this question and most answer no. They would not want to live forever. But, I changed the question and asked:

"What if someone gave you an extra 100, 1,000, or 10,000 years to your life? Would you take that instead of immortality?"

They all said yes.

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

That's alot like CancerX. It cures Cancer. Side effects include but are not limited to, causing Cancer.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join