It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

massive oil deposit found in the usa

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TrailGator

Are you serious? Please tell me not.

You really think that if we start drilling of the coast of Cali, in Anwr, in North Dakota and in the Rocky Montains TOMORROW our energy problems would be resolved in 5 years?

I want to see the technology that is going to make this happen, like I said earlier many of this places are not newly discoverd the have been known to be there for a long time, the are back in the headlines again because with oil prices at this current price it has become an attractive option to drill on this sites, prior to this surge they we're not cost effective and by that I mean if it takes you a barrel of oil to pump out one barrel of oil you win nothing, UNLESS you sell it at a ridiculous price like those that we have now and of course someone is willing to pay.

That's why in my opinion oil prices are going to keep going up, no matter if we drill here or not, hence my line that oil is the past. I'm do not believe that oil is at is peak but I do believe that the era of cheap oil is over, so we have two options get used to high oil prices or get serious about other sources that are already here, wind, solar, nuclear, for houses, hydrogen, hybrids, fuel cells, electric, solar for cars.

If your house is powered by wind and you have an electric car, how many gallons of fuel you need? How many fossil fuels have you consume? What's the pain at the pump? What's your impact on the environment? All this question have the same answers, ZERO, and that is with existing technology we just have to get serious about it.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by screamo

Because there is a difference between oil and petroleum. Alaska has oil not petroleum.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch

You really think that if we start drilling of the coast of Cali, in Anwr, in North Dakota and in the Rocky Montains TOMORROW our energy problems would be resolved in 5 years?

I would agree with you about this. What that says to me is it is time to stop waiting and Git Er Done! Being so myopic as to only care about the right now is what got us in this mess in the first place. We need to be more far sighted and realize that what happens 20 years from now depends on what we do today. But then, everyone is looking for a quick fix that does not exist. People who don't care about tomorrow deserve whatever happens to them today.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

And I think that only way we are going to be energy independant is by launching a comprehensive energy policy, a serious one, the thing that does not makes sense to me is this notion that we have to put all our eggs in one basket, Oil! Is like investing all your money on one company, just ask those who had Enron stock and saw their pensions washed away in a day! You got to diversified your portfolio, how many times have I heard that, same should apply to energy I believe.

For far to long this country energy policy has been of having all the eggs in one basket, now we are paying the price, we were well on our way to energy independance after the embargo of the 70's' they increase MPG standards for cars, electric cars were rolling of the assembly lines, nuclear plants were been built, more refineries got built but after the price of oil came crashing down, is we lost our way.

Let's this time be different, hopefully this time we learn and even if the politicans don't want to act, the people can take the lead.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

it's already in place we just need to have people use it. it's called electric , electric hybrid , cng , bio diesel ,hydrogen , and things like public transportation .
as for being free , i wont even humor a response to that stupid comment.
at the least if more people utilize these modes of alternative fuels then maybe we can start to free ourselves from the misery that we are putting ourselves thru .
maybe those are not the answers to all of our needs but it's definitely not a hail mary and it's going to be the direction we go anyway . unlike the guy said earlier oil is not a renewable energy , at least not renewable for millions of years from now.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I do not beleive this oil field or any other US oil fields will be tapped into until the world is mostly out of oil. Then if they keep turning down alternative fuels and buying out the inventors they can become rich selling the last great oil reserve in the world. Thats one way to boost the US economy. They could even trick us all into thinking its all gone except for the untapped US black gold. Thats a short term plan to bring the US wealth.
Thats just my opinion though.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by screamo
Here's my question: if this oil depoit was tapped into, how quick would the we see a drop in gas prices? Would there be any drop?

And why don't we tap into Alaska's supposed oil depoit i keep hearing about?

Because Alaska's 'big oil fields' are located under protected, highly sensitive areas, reserved to protect endangered species. In many ways, a giant oil find in the US is bad news - it simply lets us continue to rely on enviromentaly dangerous forms of energy, and further decreases research & developement of sustainable, renewable alternatives. High oil prices may, ironically, be the last useful method of weening ourselves off oil and onto something that helps save us all and our planet

J.

J.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jimbo999

jimbo.....we aren't talking about Alaska here....I thought it was mentioned that these oil fields were under North Dakota!!! Did I miss something?

Alaska is beautiful.....ND.....ummmmmpffft!!

Saudi Arabia of the USA!!!

I know, I know....people from Minot will give me grief.....but wait!!!! Once they start drilling, you wil be rich!! Beyond belief!!! Rich!!! Buy up the land now, while it's cheap!!!!

Sorry, for those in ND.....don't wish to make fun, but you can always move to SD....or MT.....or up north.....oops, that's Canada, guess they'd have something to say about it......

//edit to include...//

Just kidding....except, if the current residents of SD really think about it, if they are indeed sitting on a virtual 'gold mine' of "black gold, texas tea..." then I am very jealous!!

[edit on 5/29/0808 by weedwhacker]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Yeah, I wish some domestic fuel would solve our problems, but this is much bigggggerrrr than just the price of a barrel.

btw, I'm an eco-freak, I guess, but no species lasts forever and if doing some drilling in some sensitive areas would help alleviate suffering and turmoil, we should go for it. But really, it's too little too late, I think.
But it might buy us little guys some time, huh?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
This oil field rediscovery was medium news in the "Minneapolis (Minnesota, USA) Star Tribune" about four to eight weeks ago.

Link this deposit with Japanese-Canadian co-op research into drilling for Methane Hydrate Catharate "Fire Ice" (Methane trapped in ice) and Shell Oil's research into how to transform Methane into gasoline, kerosene, diesel, and jet fuel, and you have real hope for a relief from the shortage for about a generation or two. "Fire Ice" is quite common in under water sediments.

PS: My computer is starting to crack your "Reverse Touring Test".

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by screamo

they will not drill until gasoline reaches 10 dollars a gollon. then they will drill for oil just to get rich. hailburton probably has a contract with exxon for this oil

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

I would agree with you about this. What that says to me is it is time to stop waiting and Git Er Done! Being so myopic as to only care about the right now is what got us in this mess in the first place. We need to be more far sighted and realize that what happens 20 years from now depends on what we do today. But then, everyone is looking for a quick fix that does not exist. People who don't care about tomorrow deserve whatever happens to them today.

Blaine, I appreciate your attitude toward oil here, but I believe your comment above is a mis-understanding of my reply (as is Bunch's). I know that we can't just look at the here-and-now, and MUST think about the future. But look back at the first 3 pages of this topic where so many say stupid stuff like "oil is old technology, get rid of it!" So then....my comment that resulted in Bunch's response was basically WITH WHAT? If - IF - we are to get rid of oil, with what, and WHEN. I dont have all the answers....but I am getting sick and tired of people protesting oil and yet not offering VIABLE alternatives that we can use now!

Hybrid electric cars, as some one said above....hello? They STILL have gasoline engines to charge them and those batteries wear out in about 5 years...can you say Landfill??

and as for totally electric cars (like the Tesla)??? well, I will be glad to have one of those if someone will give me $100,000. Yeah, the technology is solid and will be viable ONE DAY....but when, and for how much?

When proper technology is developed, and when it is economically viable to the average consumer, at that time count me in as a champion in support of that. But for now the common problems with Solar, Wind, Hydro, and Hybrid electric technology is the BATTERY (or electric storage device). And no one can tell us when we are likely to have a proper solution to the battery problem. One that doesnt fill up more landfills with old batteries, but is reuseable or even completely not needed.

These are the details that must be talked about, not hypotheticals or some "I hate oil company profits" rhetoric. BTW, I suppose its unfair that Toyota and Honda make profits on their hybrids isn't it??

[edit on 30-5-2008 by TrailGator]

posted on May, 30 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I don't believe that energy would be free, at least not in our lifetime and not, I do not have a problem with people making money, this is the system we live in.

When I say get rid of oil, I'm not saying it in the "oil companies are evil" kind of way, they are playing the game too, for far to long people got used to cheap oil and that's era is over, with speculators, the geopolitical situation of oil producing countries, decreasing output of non OPEC countries like Mexico and Russia, lack of refining capacity, harder places to go and get oil and extract it, I truly believe that the era of cheap oil is over.

So we have two options, open for drilling at this sites like North Dakota and Colorado which are not going to do anything to bring down the price of oil, or invest in other sources of energy for industrial, residencial and transportation purposes, which would ease up demand for oil and would definately being down the prices.

Oil is not going away and I acknowledge that, I also acknowledge that we are going to be paying for energy, my issue is where are we going to be heading as far as energy policy is concern, look what the current policy has gotten us to, let the developing nations fight for oil, we should be moving ahead and leading the way for change.

To be honest I'm glad this has happen, I'm glad to see people whinning and complaining about oil prices, I like to see the politicians feeling the heat for it. May be just may be this time they get serious about energy policy.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by malcr

Originally posted by WhatTheory

Originally posted by centurion1211
Depends on whether the eco-nazis can come up with a reason why we can't drill in North Dakota. BTW, I've been there and it should be OK to drill there.

You are correct about the eco-nazis.
It should be ok to drill anywhere within the U.S. and it's waters.

Just because you disagree with a group of people who passionatly believe we are destroying this planet and whose actions are altruistic is no reason to call them nazis.

You can call them just "passionate" about their cause, but these groups also include people that burn down new housing developments. They are also tunnel-visioned enough not to know (or care?) whether their policies would end up costing more lives through war and starvation than would ever have been lost due to "pollution".

What would you do with books and scientific papers proving we have to stop burning oil? Burn them? Hmmm I wonder who did that the last time....

If it comes to that because you've succeeded in making oil too expensive, I sincerely hope your books and "scientific" papers are the first to be burned - but as fuel to survive, not because anyone disagrees with their contents.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I don't believe that energy would be free, at least not in our lifetime and not, I do not have a problem with people making money, this is the system we live in.

When I say get rid of oil, I'm not saying it in the "oil companies are evil" kind of way, they are playing the game too, for far to long people got used to cheap oil and that's era is over, with speculators, the geopolitical situation of oil producing countries, decreasing output of non OPEC countries like Mexico and Russia, lack of refining capacity, harder places to go and get oil and extract it, I truly believe that the era of cheap oil is over.

So we have two options, open for drilling at this sites like North Dakota and Colorado which are not going to do anything to bring down the price of oil, or invest in other sources of energy for industrial, residencial and transportation purposes, which would ease up demand for oil and would definately being down the prices.

Oil is not going away and I acknowledge that, I also acknowledge that we are going to be paying for energy, my issue is where are we going to be heading as far as energy policy is concern, look what the current policy has gotten us to, let the developing nations fight for oil, we should be moving ahead and leading the way for change.

To be honest I'm glad this has happen, I'm glad to see people whinning and complaining about oil prices, I like to see the politicians feeling the heat for it. May be just may be this time they get serious about energy policy.

Now on that my friend, I am absolutely in agreement. There is much they can do - and I mean politicians of both major political parties - like lower or eliminate taxes, or quit worrying about Mars trips ($40 mil a pop for a 'lander') and moon trips, and quit allowing congress to vote raises for themselves....

[edit on 3-6-2008 by TrailGator]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Here is the way I see it.
The Us know and have known for along time the oil is there. But they go to Iraq out of greed but are so far unsuccsesful. The price of oil has been going up ridiculously and the US are hoping they will run out so they can be the 'world supplier' but Iraq qont run out.
The other option is to spend billions of dollars in drilling and refining and supply the world at a better price. The problem there is, once the US has spent the billions, Iraq will increase production and flood the world...so to speak... making oil cheap as chips and the US will not be able to recoup the money spent on the drilling and refining. Either way the US has shot themselves in the foot.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
They found even larger reserves off the north slope of Alaska and deliberately chose not to develop it and to endure the gas lines of the 70s. Thus I do not think this will ever get developed either. The current demise of the US economy for the benefit of the few is too attractive.

www.americanfreepress.net...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Sorry to just jump right in here without reading through the whole thread, but there will be no big "save" here. The oil crisis is deliberately engineered to drive the US economy into the ground. This is not the only massive oil reserve in America that is being swept under the carpet.

Much more in these videos here...

Revelations of Big Oil Chaplain Lindsey Williams...

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

I beat you to it by one post. Still it's a pretty interesting read.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

Yea, kind of ironic there. Didn't see yours 'til after I hit the post key here on my end.

You should check out the videos I linked to. The guy talks about a lot more than just Alaska. His predictions are more than a year old now, and have since proven to be dead on accurate.

[edit on 6/4/0808 by jackinthebox]

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join