It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

massive oil deposit found in the usa

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The energy "crises" we are currently experiencing is self-inflicted. THERE IS *NO* OIL SHORTAGE!!! It's a SCAM! A SHAM! A LIE! There is enough oil on our OWN soil to last 200 years! AND HERE'S PROOF!youtube.com...

www.americanfreepress.net...
www.reformation.org...
www.dailypaul.com...

...........and I could go on posting links all day!

Could this be about saving the planet?......
My guess not, or they would stop taxing us and backing there corporate friends with ventures into bombs & bullets, GM crops, The drilling of unprofitable oil fields, Keeping us on a power grid by giving large subsidies to corporate energy companies & not supporting solar panels etc etc....

Ok, given that there is no energy crisis, what are they up to and whats there next move I wonder?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The truth about high oil prices, check this lecture by Lindsey Wiliams

video.google.com...

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by uknow_me72
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Was just to spark a thought.

I know that Oil is a renewable resource contadictory to popular belief to have a reason to raise Oil prices.

It's a by product of Earth...

if oil is a renewable resource then what happened to this place that is a couple of miles from my house genius . www.scvhistory.com...
that must be the single most ignorant thing i have ever read here on ats .

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
You must understand the plan!

First we will suck the world dry of oil, OPEC, Europe, Asia.

We will then tap into our massive reserves off of our coasts, in the Great Plains and Alaska and then hold the world over a barrel.

Hahahahahahahahaha

God I love this Country!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by screamo
Here's my question: if this oil depoit was tapped into, how quick would the we see a drop in gas prices? Would there be any drop?

The oil barons would never let prices drop. Once you, as a businessman, see how much your customers are willing to pay, you don't drop the prices. It's counter-intuitive.

Besides, even if we found a trillion, trillion barrel deposit, we still have a limited supply of refineries-and building new refineries just doesn't happen here in the USA.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The original article says 175 to 500 billion barrels of recoverable oil but the USGS report says 3 to 4.3 billion barrels of recoverable oil. That's a hell of a discrepancy, what's going on?

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
When it comes to oil you can't expect the politically appointed leadership of the various governmental agencies to undermine the efforts of the energy lobby, they work for them after all is said and done.

This oil discovery is not 'new' at all. The equipment to pump was already in place years ago - if certain people are to be believed:

Big Oil Chaplin tells of Alaska Oil discovery...,

This would be worth reviewing if you can stomach the speakers delivery style. Much of what he has said over the years has come strangely true... including the 'news' of this oil find.

[edit on 29-5-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Sadly our government does know where all the oil in our country is. They have for a heck of a long time as well. Here in Illinois We have a large deposit that stretches across the state just a regular lake sitting there ready to be taken advantage of. But for some reason no one takes any of it. Sure there are the occasional well here and there but nothing really happening at all. Its ridiculous. The things that just go unnoticed by the general public here, and all over the country. Things that have been ignored to long.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83
I'm sure there will be an emergency session of Congress convened to make sure that nobody can drill for this oil.

Sadly, I recently spoke privately with a local congressman who told me unashamedly that the GOAL is to have high gas prices in order to force investment into alternative energy sources. Of course he would never admit this directly in public. Instead, the game plan is to hold hearings an make it look like the oil executives are to blame for the prices.

That has been my suspicion, along with the possibilty they are forcing us to cut back because of Gore's BS.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Barak89
Sadly our government does know where all the oil in our country is. They have for a heck of a long time as well. Here in Illinois We have a large deposit that stretches across the state just a regular lake sitting there ready to be taken advantage of. But for some reason no one takes any of it. Sure there are the occasional well here and there but nothing really happening at all. Its ridiculous. The things that just go unnoticed by the general public here, and all over the country. Things that have been ignored to long.

The oil here in Illinois is not lite sweet crude, it's more of an industrial type of oil high in sulfur and is not really the best stuff to use for gasoline.

I think it's called heavy crude.

But, it can be made into fuel, it just takes longer to refine and costs more to do it.

Another kicker here!

Iran has leased several huge super tankers this past month to hold oil in the Persian Gulf off shore, it has been reported that the crude being stored in these Super tankers is the heavy crude type.

It is also being speculated that Iran will pull a Saddam Hussian if attacked and torch these tankers to create a ecological disaster and sway world reaction toward Iran, you heard it here first on ATS!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
i don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but in the current issue of the magazine "Good", there is an article regarding that oil deposit in north dakota.

here is the link:
www.goodmagazine.com...

if such a deposit does indeed exist, then perhaps we could see some independence from foreign oil and an opportunity to make fuel efficiency in this country even better, a second chance if you will to get it right.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by screamo

i live in the UK where the price of a gallon of fuel is $10 how would you like that in the USA

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by screamo
Here's my question: if this oil depoit was tapped into, how quick would the we see a drop in gas prices? Would there be any drop??

No. Because there's still the problem of insufficent refining capacity. Doesn't matter how much raw material you have available if you can't produce the finished product any quicker.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I am surprised by the profound level of naiveite' in this thread.

Do people really believe the "environmentalists" have any political clout in this country?

A closer look at many of the environmental movements show them to be sponsored by the same wealthy elite who control the major energy concerns and monoploies.

This is an effective strategy for them to manipulate (and limit) energy resources both here in the U.S. and abroad.

I do think stories like this really do undermine the "Peak Oil" alarmists - and the corporate owned media which uses such Oil Shortage scares to help drum up profits for their owners.

Please do more research before you conclude that broke and drug addled "hippies" are shaping our countries energy policies.

(and don't feel bad if you had drank the coolaid of their propoganda - goodness knows I did when I was in college)

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Thanks, everyone, for these informative posts!

I have lost a link to a video that I was watching, a fellow claimed that there are billions of gallons of oil, under the North American continent, still waiting to be tapped. Enough to last another two centuries!!

We will not think about what it will do to the environment....the point is it exists, according to this gentleman, so the 'oil crisis' is complete hogwash.

As to oil fields below North Dakota.....I'm sorry if anyone is from ND, but it's already a desert of sorts....not much farming, I reckon....maybe some in the summertime. Can I just come right out and say it??? "Minot....why not?"

OK, joking....there will be an environmental study first, how will it impact the rare species of prairie dog that only exists in five square miles....etc.

BUT, Essan is correct....even if there is product there, it may not be light and 'sweet', as is found in the Middle East...and, there is a bottleneck in refining capacity. This has been orchestrated by the Big Oil companies to drive up prices, hence profits. Exxon/Mobile makes US$30 Billion?? That's 'Billion' with a 'B', folks. Meantime, airlines, trucking companies, consumers are struggling......

What we are seeing is similar to the 'boom' of the early 20th century .... the 'robber-barons' are back. A Great Depression ensued, beginning in 1929. Will history repeat???

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by uknow_me72

If you were the US Government and knew you could access Oil on your own Territory at any time would that stop you from depleteing the other nations and doing business with them to make money and if their oil supply runs out you will just tap into your and be the only nation that has oil???

punctuation is your friend. a paragraph with only some question marks at the end is hard to read. =)

[edit on 29-5-2008 by an0maly33]

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
BEEEEEEP!
Hate to rain on the parade here, but I have to call a BS ALERT on this article.

North Dakota and Montana have an estimated 3.0 to 4.3 billion barrels of undiscovered, technically recoverable oil in an area known as the Bakken Formation.

www.usgs.gov...

That is NOWHERE NEAR the claimed amount of 175 to 500 billion barrels of recoverable oil.
That's just friggin' laughable..
That would mean this one field contains more Oil than the rest of the known Oil reserves in the world combined.

That's a little hard to swallow.
Considering the largest proven oil field in the world is Saudi Arabia's Ghawar with 71 billion barrels, 175 billion would surpass it by miles.

Somebody's crying wolf here.
Just thought I'd put things into perspective for a second since everyone seemed to be overlooking the scale of claim.
A field that big and America would not only never need to import oil, but it would start exporting it too and become the world's largest Oil Producer.

HA! The Republicans wish. Keep fishing in Iraq boys!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by The Godfather of Conspira

I posted that about 10 posts above yours but it seems to be being ignored. Someone somewhere either has their figures wrong, is trying to mislead people or are trying to cover something up.

The only thing I can think of is that the USGS is stating oil recoverable with current technology whilst the 175 billion figure is assuming new technologies in the future that'll make more of it recoverable.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SIRR1
The oil here in Illinois is not lite sweet crude, it's more of an industrial type of oil high in sulfur and is not really the best stuff to use for gasoline.

I think it's called heavy crude.

But, it can be made into fuel, it just takes longer to refine and costs more to do it.

Having worked in a heavy oil plant, I can tell you that while it cost a bit more to refine, it is offset by the fact that heavy oil is cheaper to buy. While the per barrel oil price we hear on the news is based on West Texas intermediate crude, heavy oil is usually about 75% cheaper to buy. The refining process costs aren't that much more. It does all depend on the total output of the plant, but on a large scale operation it MIGHT be an extra fifty cents per barrel.

The classifications for wieght of an oil (tarsand, heavy, intermediate, or light) is dependant on the sand or water particle content of the oil. Making these into usable consumable oil just means taking out the excess particles. The plant I was at would get "oil" that was anywhere from 99% oil to 50% oil 50% sand/water. We would put it through our processes and end up with oil that was 99.5% pure or higher.

There is a difference between sweet and sour though. That is dependant on the sulphur content of the oil, not the sand/water. Sweet crude has little to no sulphur and sour has a high H2S content, which will kill you real fast. There is no difference in treating the sweet or sour oil for the most part.

Tarsand on the other hand is completely different beast. I could go on, but won't. Hope this was a bit helpful. Don't let the oil companies fool you about refining costs because of the grade of oil.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join