It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird tracert

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

Think he meant run and not search?

But you need to cmd in first anyway to keep the window open.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

in the run prompt type in command...the dos screen will come up and stay open instead of closing out.The u can type your commands in the dos screen such as ping,tracert,netstat,ipconfig etc.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Flush your DNS.
Goto Start-->Run Type--> cmd
Press Enter
Type --> ipconfig /flushdns

This may or may not help, but worth a shot. You might want to contact your ISP to make sure you have the latest DNS server addresses. I know that I had some latency issues a while back and realized that although my cable modem and router had refreshed my address from my provider, I had the old DNS settings (since I set everything on my network to static). Its probably nothing to get paranoid about, but I'd look into as far as a customer service issue.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
o.k., first, if I came across as talking down to you, I apoligize. Second, I din't say to go to msconfig and start disabling everything, I said go to msconfig, then the start-up tab, and disable all. there is a difference. The startup tab is programs set to run at startup, vs the rest of the tabs for the o.s. Disabling everything in the startup tab would not disable your computer. your just turning off the programs that throughout the years come up on start.

Next to the guy with the AOL, my guess is that you are running AOL to piggy back Time Warner or Comcast. If this is the case and you are not in any special with them, call and cancel the AOL, and tell your provider you just want to be TW, or Comcast. Once this is done, start using I.E. vs the AOL browser, see if your speeds pick up.

When using the AOL browser you are actually going through a passive proxy. this can sometime inhibit speed on AOL, as AOL isn't really designed for High Speed Connections, just dial up. Yes I realise they have made upgrades, etc, but there whole business model is dial-up.

Run the speed tests in I.E. after you cancel, and see what your speeds are. You can try DSLreports.com, pcpitstop.com, or testmy.net. All of these are pretty good. If you still get slow speeds, go to 192.168.100.1 this is your modems internal page. look for a signal page. On the signal page you are looking for a couple of things.

transmit power should be between 8 - 58
downstream power should be between -10 and 10. closer to 0 the better
downstream snr should be above 25, preferably above 30 but not about 40. There is such a thing as having to clean a line.

Next if you are on a wireless router, try taking the router out, plugging directly into the pc, and rebooting the modem. if your speeds are still the same, its not your router, or someone on your connection. This should hep you get started.

As far as the WEP and SSID Broadcast, and mac filtering goes. I would go with mac filtering and call it good. This should keep the neighbors out. Yes, anything can be hacked, but the chances of you living beside one are remote. With turning off the SSID broadcast, or enabling WEP or WPA you are making it harder on everyone to log in. mac filtering typically is the easiest way.

I didn't see duel hops in your tracert, I saw a normal traceroute, with low ping times on it. The number of hops with vary. thats just a given. 13 or 16 or whatever it was isn't that bad.

The reason why I thought you had a p2p is because of the netstat. I have a total of 2 established connections, with about 1/2 a dozen listening ones. I have a couple others open but I now what they are. If your screen is scrolling when you do this, which is what I thought you said, there are to many connections, and chances are you got a virus or the p2p. Thats why I suggested the AVG and Spybot.

As far as setting the recycle bin to 0 prior to doing a disk defrag, and turning off the system restore. you do this because even if you don't have anything in recycle bin, the system still reserves the space, and doesn't allow if for a disk defrag, as far as the system restore, its a notorius spot for virus's to hang out. unchecking it, cleans it out, and gives more space for the defrag.

Again my intention wasn't to belittle you, but to help you, so if I offended, I apoligize. Good luck with the computer fix.

Cheers,

Camain

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

You shouldn't use WEP. It's easily cracked. Use WPA instead - it's much harder to crack, and don't use a word you'll find in a dictionary. Put some numbers and symbols in there, and make it as long as you can.

If someone gets on to your wireless network (through no or lax security), they can perform an ARP poisoning attack, which allows the attacker to make their computer act as a router, receiving all traffic people on your network intend to send to the internet. If they use a packet sniffer, they can get your email passwords, network share passwords, and even traffic encrypted via HTTPS (as some software out there can intercept the certificate-exchange part of HTTPS and inject their own certificate, allowing the attacker to read your traffic even though your browser says it's encrypted - the only thing you'll see is a notification that the certificate isn't trusted, which some folks will gladly accept, mainly due to the fact that some sites' certificates have lapsed).

Of course I've never done that, and doing so would be illegal in most countries.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by camain
I said go to msconfig, then the start-up tab, and disable all. there is a difference. The startup tab is programs set to run at startup, vs the rest of the tabs for the o.s. Disabling everything in the startup tab would not disable your computer. your just turning off the programs that throughout the years come up on start.

It may disable some applications. It's better to go through it and weed out what you don't need as opposed to disabling everything in it.

Originally posted by camain
Next to the guy with the AOL, my guess is that you are running AOL to piggy back Time Warner or Comcast. If this is the case and you are not in any special with them, call and cancel the AOL, and tell your provider you just want to be TW, or Comcast. Once this is done, start using I.E. vs the AOL browser, see if your speeds pick up.

He's right about this. AOL is useless and a waste of money.

Do the rest of the stuff he said.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

you every try to read what programs are actually in start-up
. Not saying it ain't possible, but supposedly we are talking to someone not computer literate. I kinda think it would just confuse him. just my 2 cents. If he can, I agree, choosing which to disable is better, but if he can't better to turn all of it off, then let it suck down system resources.

Thanks for your imput though. It is a good idea.

Cheers,

Camain

posted on Jul, 31 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
If any of your neighbors have kids between 10 and 18 then the odds one of them knows how to hack WEP are actually pretty high. 4 of my neigbors all run unsecured wireless networks so I don't really worry about securing mine beyond the basics.

Your router should have a configuration page - usually its 192.168.1.1... and the default login is admin / admin.

There's a status page under local area network on most which will show you all the active connections.

If you do find a neighbor is on your net don't freak out. Most default wireless setups scan for the best signal and will connect to an unsecured wireless network anutomatically. I find my wife's laptop connecting to one of the neighbors networks all the time even though ours is secured and much faster. Yes I know how to set it so it won't but she's not a p2p user and it saves me from dealing with her when comcast drops which is daily now.

If you have wireless and you use p2p look into setting up a free wireless node for the neighbors to use with rate limits in place. It might prove a nice defense if you ever get yanked into court....

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I was lucky to get here, as im having a lot of trouble with my connection speed. Thats why im asking for your help. I've been having issues for some days now, and every speed test i do, offers different results. I am really lost here. cheers and thanks in advance.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join