It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weird tracert

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

I guess that means Linksys is being naive and irresponsible by offering it as a security option.

As with any security, picking a good password is key. WEP is not "easy" to hack. 99.9999% of people will never have a problem using it.

*Edit:

Keep in mind we are talking home security. Basic home security. The guy was asking how to see if anyone else is on his network. Just that question alone should hint that he's not worried about sensitive data or heavy security. He just wants to make sure that people aren't using his network.

[edit on 25-5-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee
Basically my internet speed has slowed down i used a speed test web page and i was only running at 2mb download.

I know my connection was faster than that infact it was

DownStream Connection Speed 7616 kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 448 kbps

When i go to my router page it states i still have the above connection howerver i dont as my download speed is 2mb and my speed test result is 2mb.

Sublime's right, do a test some time in the middle of the night.

Now, how do you know your connection was faster?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by imd12c4funn
In the corresponding Foreign Address column, all 10 share the following address:

0.0.0.0:0

And in the State column, the 10 connections are "LISTENING"

After that, it starts looking similar to OP's image and from the 11th listing on down, the State column shows "ESTABLISHED". later, some TCPs show [::]:the the odd/prime numbers. and -- Unknown Component(s) -- has 1 TCP Listening, then UDP's follow with *.* in Foreign Address, and nothing in the State column. Since I do not see these in posted screen image, I ask,

Is this normal?

That's normal. I'm not sure exactly what it means, but I've always seen this due to programs listening for incoming connections.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Thanks.

Either way he should call his cable company. He's not getting what he's paying for. I do have a hunch that they probably just aren't providing enough bandwidth.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

Because my download speed used to be around 750kpbs now it's only 240kbps.

No matter what day or what time of day or night.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 25-5-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by h3akalee

Call Time Warner. They'll probably send a tech out unless it's an issue with your account.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Yeah, call your company, they know more than I do. Just remember that you have the max speed, and that the company isn't obligated to give you anything more than what their infrastructure can deliver. Meaning, you usually don't get what you're promised. But since you noticed a sudden decrease in speed, it sounds like something broke.
I'll just keep stating the obvious.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by h3akalee
reply to post by Sublime620

It's alway's slow.

It was running fine then the hare turned into the tortoise.

No matter what day or what time of day i still only get around 2mb.

Even tho it still show's my speed as being above 7mbps on my router page.

Take care.

Regards
Lee

Unplug (from behind the router) the data cable from the wall into the aol gateway router, than unplug the power cord for a minute. plug or screw in the cable to the aol cable router, than plug in the power. Sometimes a spike or power outage, lighting strike will mangle the gateway. power down, than up resets the thang. If still slow, the cable somewher before the gateway is high on ohms and the cable company has to line test and fix.

Heres a Peepers winky to ya, type this address into your browser and go

[edit on 25-5-2008 by Peepers]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Are you running through a router? If so check the ventilation around the router. Had a similar issue recently, turns out it was overheating and killing the speeds, replaced the router to one with better ventilation, speeds back up to normal. Sounds funny I know, but it could be another option you can look into.

edit: as far as wep protection for wireless, yeah it's pretty much useless. I only use my wireless for my wii and DS at the moment, so I have the signal strength fairly low as it's only about 5 feet between them. As the DS will only work with unprotected or wep I have no choice.

[edit on 5/25/08 by Hypntick]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Hypntick

Ya, my big ol slumbering brother inlaw had junk piled all over his wireless router and it kept kicking of the connections. I told him once not do it with why and he cleared the way, than must of got lazy again and piled stuff on, over and around again. So I had to remind, again.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Hypntick

Do you think it's possible i could have damaged the router in some way slammed it or knocked it ?

Could this be hindering the speed ?

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 25-5-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Easy way to find out:

Bypass the router and hook your computer straight up to the modem. If that doesn't solve it, call the cable company. It could be a lot of stuff, most of which you should just let them handle.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
reply to post by brill

I guess that means Linksys is being naive and irresponsible by offering it as a security option.

Nice twist. Yes it is an option but a poor one given the other options. This is akin to putting lipstick on a pig.

Originally posted by Sublime620
As with any security, picking a good password is key. WEP is not "easy" to hack. 99.9999% of people will never have a problem using it.

You are completely misinformed. It is trivial you just choose to look the other way. Hey that's your choice and I'm fine by that. Most people don't have much to hide your right, until their PC is compromised and things like online banking and identity theft run rampant. Passing this off as "home" networks or security does not mean you should relax your options, thats when trouble can easily start.

Its obvious we have 2 separate trains of thought on this subject and we won't see eye to eye.

brill

[edit on 25-5-2008 by brill]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

I guess we will just agree to disagree then.

I see it like having an alarm on your car. Sure, it won't stop the pros from breaking in, but it's a nice deterrence.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

yep I would go with what sublime said, bypass the router completely, if your speed improves there's your issue. If that doesn't take care of it, then it's more than likely something your ISP will have to take care of. Good luck with it

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
You also never stated what router you got can u posted the model number.Older routerc cant handle todays broadband speeds,you also never stated if you got broadband?your 500 upload is normal for the upstream,and depending on your isp u have such as comcast,rr,earthlink etc..that could also be the problem.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by alienstar

It's a NETGEAR Wireless ADSL Firewall Router DG834G

My Upload speed has dropped aswell as the download speed.

I test my speed using speedtest.net

Take care.

Regards
Lee

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Do me a favor.If you are either ethernet or usb..bypass the router and i want u then take the speed test .Btw that router came out first in 2003 or 04.Post the number of before and after for me on here.But use this for the test.
www.bandwidthplace.com...

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Lantian

Go to start and then to search and under files and folders type netstat and start the search. It might tell you that it might be unsafe to continue but you can say yes and you will get your results.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomforall

I dont get what ur trying to tell him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join