It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO foods: Are we eating ourselves to death?

page: 1/
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

What is all around you, but is hidden in plain sight?

Genetically engineered (GE) food, which is also known as genetically modified (GM) food, genetically manipulated food, genetically altered foods, genetically modified organisms (GMOs), and "Frankenfood."

Did you know that you eat genetically modified foods every day?

This novel technology has virtually invaded the grocery store and taken over the food on our shelves. An estimated 70-75% of processed foods on supermarket shelves-from soda to soup, corn chips to veggie burgers, pizza, and even baby food and infant formula-contain GE ingredients.

Why should you care?

Whether you’re “into health” or not, you eat three meals a day. Genetically engineered foods have never been proven safe for human consumption. This is personal.

Nearly every independent animal feeding safety study on GE foods (not funded by the biotechnology industry) demonstrates adverse or unexplained health effects. We’re eating GE food, too. What is it doing to us?

There are many documented health risks associated with GE food. According to independent scientists, human health effects of consuming GE foods can include toxic and allergic reactions, antibiotic resistance, immune suppression, and even cancer.

Dr. David Suzuki, scientist, geneticist, and environmentalist recently commented about GMOs:

“Any scientist that tells you they are safe is either ignorant or lying to you.”

SOURCE

(they are advertising a book "shedding light on gmos"; I strongly recommend you read it)

OK, so GMO foods can cause cancer and immune suppression. But could GMOs also be responsible for the recent explosion in cancer? (1 in ~30 got cancer in the 60s; 1 in 3 adult will get it by the end of their lifetime).

Also, according to an independent study I read about a few months ago (forgot the link; sorry), GMO foods begin causing numerous physical and mental health only in the second generation of consumption.

Basically, experiment was on lab rats who were fed GMO soy. The controls were non-GMO soy and normal rat feed. The GMO soy batch was the only one that developed obesity, suicidal behavior, and other negative health effects by the second generation

So, if the study was indeed true, and it also affects humans, then the human species can become extinct or severely handicapped in less that 30 years!

Could GMOs be a form of eugenics population control? Are we eating ourselves to death?

I recommend you watch Future of Food, The World According to Monsanto, and Seeds of Deception.

So, any thoughts on GMOs? And how could one avoid them?

P.S. GMO is not the only food problem in the US, www.abovetopsecret.com...

P.P.S. Alex Jones has a few books and vids on his site about GMOS.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Are we eating ourselves to death?

Yes, absolutely, and GMO is a small part of it.

At least most people are. I'm not, as well as a few others i know.

It's ridiculous what kind of crap people will eat, most of it isn't even food, it's chemicals made up to look like food. Disgusting.

If you eat poisons you're going be poisoned and thus suffer ill effects.

Does that not sound logical?

Now add some GMO foods that are used as a base product and laden with chemicals, wrapped in chemical leaching plastics, and even some "food" made of plastic. I don't know about you, but the ingredient "artificially flavored cheeselike polymer" does not sound like food, that's fancy newspeak for cheese flavored plastic. (and yes, i actually saw this on a label of some cheap generic "cheese" product on a shelf.)

How nutritious does that sound?

Toss in some High Fructose Corn Syrup, with your plastic coated mutant food, and you've got a nice pile of toxic waste. That's not even counting all the other preservatives and processes, like nitrates, stabilizing chemicals, hydrogenation, irradiation, and fluoridation, and a whole array of mystery ingredients that consist of who knows what,,,,

If you stop eating stuff that isn't food, you'll be healthy. Seriously. Read the labels, most of the stuff isn't really food. It may have food in it, but look at what else it has in it.

The thing that puzzles me though,,,

A lot of people i talk to do agree with me, that the meat is bad from hormones and AB's, the staple diet stuff is GM pesticide laden, and that there's chemicals in the stuff.

Yet they still eat it. Why? Are the chemicals in and modifications of the "food" really addictive? Or is it just subconscious suicidal despair of not wanting to live that long on a half dead planet? I'm speaking of the people who are aware that it's bad but still do it. It really don't cost any more to eat proper food, it actually can cost a lot less. Local organic food is less susceptible to high oil prices, for both transportation and pesticide costs if none are used, and even in a small mountain town in the middle of the desert i can get a good percentage of local organic foods.

It also takes a lot less good food. The nutrient density in the good stuff makes it so you don't need to eat as much, it's not diluted with stuff that your body has no choice but to store as, or in fatty tissue, wasting energy doing so, and making the body inefficient. The better food you eat, the less you have to eat. 1000 calories of good food is like 2000-2500 calories of the crap that monsanto and others try to sell you. 1000 calories a day is a lot when your body doesn't require 800 of that to process toxins, wearing itself out faster.

It takes a long time to really feel the effects of a diet consisting of real food. The toxins accumulated will be there for a while and the energy required to process it all will also be required. You'll also feel the effects of those toxins still, although it'll slowly become less and less. If you eat right after a few months you'll probably realize (if you pay attention) that before you always felt sick and weak, as well as mentally impaired in contrast to the way you feel when you eat good food that's untampered with.

If the majority began eating right there'd be an incredible shift in a lot of things, people would be more aware, more capable, and more ab le to engage in critical thought and act up on it in a state of healthy mind and body. The companies like monsanto would fall, and the pharmaceutical companies will also suffer, because of the drastic reduction in aliments caused by the poisons will mean reduced profits. No more nation of prozac zombies, and the additives themselves, toxic waste would go unused in foods and pile up. Big oil would take a hit in petro based pesticides, from which i understand is a fairly sizable portion of the market. Healthy people who are able to think for themselves may wander away from the television and do something about tyranny, oppression, and the whole grand injustice that permeates the wicked system, and "they" can't risk that.

Another thing to ponder,

It's perfectly legal for monsanto to grow millions of acres of harmful "plants" that cause a great detriment to society, legal for them to poison the food and the earth, legal for "big pharm" to sell poison pills to the people, but if i try to grow a certain all natural plant that actually promotes health and enables my broken worn out body to still function, i'll be imprisoned.

There's a lot more wrong than the food, but the food is a lot of the reason why these things are wrong. They control you with food, combinations of chemicals to subdue you. Mind control drugs, body control drugs (fat depressed and ill people don't march to the steps of the capital and demand justice) and a whole array of social programming through media contributes, but a large part is we're eating ourselves into a slow controlled death with predictable outcomes, and a dependency upon the hand of the executioner. The objective i don't believe to be depopulation but incapacitation. Keeping drones barely able to drone along enusres an endless army of drones to do the drone work. The corporate cubicle army of the modern day don't need to go anywhere but to the water cooler and crapper, and do much more than glorified data input, and thus does not require them to function at full capacity, they're just kept plugging along at a pace acceptable to the slavedrivers in fear of being cast off the plantation. That makes a lot of sense.

Food is key though, change the food and we'll change the world.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by DezertSkies

It's perfectly legal for monsanto to grow millions of acres of harmful "plants" that cause a great detriment to society, legal for them to poison the food and the earth, legal for "big pharm" to sell poison pills to the people, but if i try to grow a certain all natural plant that actually promotes health and enables my broken worn out body to still function, i'll be imprisoned.

Totally agree with you. Monsanto can grow the garbage it calls food,but it is illegal for the average law-abiding citizen to bring in an all-natural, non-GMO potato, tomato, strawberry, etc. from rural Romania. Do I smell hypocracy? Is this nation "for the people", or "for the corporation"? Are we a democracy, or a corporate fascism?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Oh yeah, and don't forget about Monsanto suing farmers whose fields were contaminated by GM products that failed to terminate for growing patented crops without a license. If that's not one of the greatest injustices ever,,,,

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies
Oh yeah, and don't forget about Monsanto suing farmers whose fields were contaminated by GM products that failed to terminate for growing patented crops without a license. If that's not one of the greatest injustices ever,,,,

So how does one eat healthy in 21st century US?

Local organic farmers? Products imported from Ukraine, Romania, Mexico, India, etc.?

But how does one buy a tomato, rice, spaghetti, pizza, desserts, BABY FOOD that has not been contaminated by GMOs and chemicals?

Meaning, how does one buy a can of, say, spaghetti sauce or ketchup that does NOT have 25+ chemicals?

And could the human race die out like that batch of lab rats?

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
What, no replies other than DezertSkies???

This is not getting enough publicity.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
What, still no replies?????

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

In India, some 160,000 formerly productive farmers have committed suicide out of absolute poverty, lack of alternatives, and despair after buying into the idea that Monsanto's "products" are a good idea.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thetruth777

If everyone spent as much time, money, water, and energy growing a garden in their yards rather than manicuring their lawns, we would have enough locally grown, organic, healthy food to survive any global food problem coming our way.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Brilliant post, I really hope a lot of people will read it and understand that a diet-upgrade will do wonders for the restoration of humanity. Yes, it takes some homework, but so what if you regain full use of the brain, and you're not visiting the doctor's office every few months for some problem? I gave the matrix the finger with regards to "diet" foods, "low-fat" this and that, red-meat and white-sugar/flour, and have lost 160 pounds and comfortably maintain this status-quo, simply by eating healthy fruits/veggies and mostly organic meats over the last 4 years. And the occasional Kombucha.

People I know (addicted to the typical supermarket-garbage readily available) want so bad to call me weird, yet they literally find it impossible to argue that the 360-pound version of me they always knew no longer exists, and I have the energy, strength and stamina of a 19-year-old (which my age is not).

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by thetruth777
But how does one buy a tomato, rice, spaghetti, pizza, desserts, BABY FOOD that has not been contaminated by GMOs and chemicals?

Meaning, how does one buy a can of, say, spaghetti sauce or ketchup that does NOT have 25+ chemicals?

You don't buy a can of spaghetti sauce, or cans of anything really, as most all of stuff canned is crap to begin with. For tomato sauce, get some vine ripe tomatoes and boil till the skin peels off, peel the skin and smash up the skinned tomatoes, add whatever other veggies you got, garlic, salt, pepper, a bit of unrefined sugar, and let it simmer for a while.

Some stuff is just not available locally, but get whatever you can locally, and use the local ingredients in lots of stuff. It depends where you are, if you're in the desert use prickly pears and agave, in the tropics, banana and coconut, basically look close to home first, and expect to use a lot of what comes from your area.

I shop at markets that have a good selection of local organic stuff, and gmo free stuff. In fact, just the other day i went in the supermarket for the first time in about a year and a half, to buy some candles.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Flagged and Starred!

this is a serious issue that needs to be brought to the publics attention,
i find it sad that we now live in a world somewhat dominated by monsanto and their GMO's. It is disgusting to see the way multi national corporations can manipulate the science and then governments...

Its amazing what politicians are prepared to blindly sign, after being plied with fancy lunches and gifts... But thats a seperate issue....

[edit on 25/5/2008 by Zeus187]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Truth 777, thanks for posting this. It was something I knew about, but hadn't really paid much attention.

OPC, good for you for losing 160 pounds!!! You must feel like you've been given a whole new life and new body. You are certainly proof that "you are what you eat". You are inspirational.

We live in a small town with no health food stores and most of the stuff in our grocery stuff is worthless. So I'm growing a large garden this year, with enough for canning and freezing. We're also getting chickens for fresh eggs and a goat for milk. We hardly ever eat meat, so we're working on getting our diet healthier by providing our own food that we grow or get from chickens and a goat.

I know I will feel better and have more energy. Not eating meat helps me to maintain my weight so I have more energy and can get around more.

Good find, flagged and starred.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Just a question, what can the result of GMO foods dominating the market be? 70% obesity? 10% of the nation in mental institutions (lab rats fed GMOs went insane)? Population reduction? Could GMOs be for EUGENICS? POPULATION CONTROL?!?!?!?

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
My Personal Opinion

People have made a point to say that G.M food may not be safe for consumption, well I haven't seen a link posted to any study which claims this!!

On the flip side Organic foods may not be safe for comsuption if you want a penny for your thoughts since organic foos is more suseptable to pest infestations, and may harbour disease.

Here is a couple links one from a company called Monsanto and one from the "www.independant.co.uk"

www.monsanto.co.uk...

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miishgoos
My Personal Opinion

People have made a point to say that G.M food may not be safe for consumption, well I haven't seen a link posted to any study which claims this!!

On the flip side Organic foods may not be safe for comsuption if you want a penny for your thoughts since organic foos is more suseptable to pest infestations, and may harbour disease.

Here is a couple links one from a company called Monsanto and one from the "www.independant.co.uk"

www.monsanto.co.uk...

www.independent.co.uk...

Nearly every independent animal feeding safety study on GE foods (not funded by the biotechnology industry) demonstrates adverse or unexplained health effects. We’re eating GE food, too. What is it doing to us?

There are many documented health risks associated with GE food. According to independent scientists, human health effects of consuming GE foods can include toxic and allergic reactions, antibiotic resistance, immune suppression, and even cancer.

OF COURSE MONSANTO'S SITE WON'T HAVE LINKS TO INDEPENDENT STUDIES THAT MIGHT DAMAGE ITS CREDIBILITY!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Miishgoos

My personal opinion:
Monsanto has done unfathomable damage to the environment and human population. Now, Agent Orange maker is going to own the seeds of the world and will use food as weapon for population reduction.
As the fossil fuel supply dwindles, different means of population reduction will occur, seemingly unintentional or obviously intentional. Every 1 calorie we eat requires 10 calories in fossil fuel for production; fertilizer, pesticides, transportation, packaging... It is my understanding that the Earth can support only about 2 to 2.5 billion people without any fossil fuel based agriculture. That's after fat ass American's reduce daily intake to 2000 calories a day from 3500 cal/day.

In addition to OP's list of videos to view, which anyone who claims to have interest in food safety must watch,
Genetic Conspiracy, Fluoride Deception, Crude Awakening, Codex Alimentarius, Nutricide among others.

Bon Appetite!

[edit on 26-5-2008 by reibian]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   
My personal Opinion

Thats obvious that Monsanto would not have a link but what about the other link?

You see nature modifies plants itself so even the so called organic food is G.M lol.

Not to mention that if everybody started only growing organic food there would not be enough land to grow enough food to feed our populations.

I highly suggest watching the show penn and tellers bull**** about G.M food.

Thats my personal opinion.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Great topic OP, I appreciate your bringing this particular subject to light. I am currently coming off the drugs that had added up to 9 pills a day, blood pressure, water pills, Lipitor, allegra, celebrex, the list goes on, after recently also being diagnosed with anemia as well, and borderline diabetic, the doc was about to add more pills to the list, I said no. I had been doing some research of my own, and I have decided that one of those pills I mention above, lipitor, is the cause of most of my other ills, and I stopped taking it. I also started drinking green tea, 3 times a day, quit the celebrex, I am cooking all our food at home, I never deep fry or add fat to foods, I already did this for years, but I cut back on salt, red meat, and stopped eating bread altogether. I cannot stop eating my beloved potatoes, but I do not smother them in sour cream and margerine anymore. Many many changes to my diet and lifestyle have taken place, and this year our garden is more functional and useful than ever, we had our season's first radishes and tomatoes at dinner tonight, what a great feeling to grow and eat your own foods! We water with caught rainwater, no chemicals are used, we grow the correct flowers in with the veggies to repel inscects and it works. I found foods that will help my body absorb iron better, My doc failed to inform me about that, instead he wanted me to begin a 1000mg a day regimen of iron pills. My hubby and I are both losing weight and feel so much better every day!

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
My personal Opinion

The fossil fuel supply is not dwindling LOL opec is just punishing the west for their war in iraq like the fuel shortages in the 70's.

www.prisonplanet.com...

www.theoildrum.com...

www.investmentu.com...

Flouride is not dangerous thats just fear mongering LOL.

where the evidence that this company has done anything you said? a link would be good so I could reaserach the subject.

thats my humble personal opinion

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join