It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO foods: Are we eating ourselves to death?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miishgoos
My personal Opinion

Thats obvious that Monsanto would not have a link but what about the other link?

You see nature modifies plants itself so even the so called organic food is G.M lol.

Not to mention that if everybody started only growing organic food there would not be enough land to grow enough food to feed our populations.

I highly suggest watching the show penn and tellers bull**** about G.M food.

Thats my personal opinion.

Nature, or natural selection, "modifies" plant and animal DNA via random mutations; favorable traits are more likely to survive.

The Black Plague in 1348 wiped out a third of Europe, but left 10% of its inhabitants immune to HIV.

The corn you know of today was actually a wild grass with only 3-5 kernels 15000 years ago. It was selectively bred by Native Americans, with seeds yielding the best ears of corn carefully preserved. The corn eventually evolved into maize, which resembles the corn we know today. NATURE, or random mutations in DNA are what gives life such a variety. In the 19th century, over 1000 different varieties of corn were grown in the US. Now, the number is less than a dozen.

And genetic engineering is NOT the same as natural selection!!!

Genetic engineers use bacteria to inject foreign DNA into a plant. This direct engineering of DNA is NOT the same as nature altering an organism's DNA with random mutations. Anyone who says so otherwise is either lying or deceived. The foreign can recombine with itself in the organism that digested it, leaning to unpleasant results. This recombination of DNA is what makes GMO so dangerous. Please watch the videos I reccomended if you have any misconceptions.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by thetruth777

Good material! Thanks for posting it.

Here are a few thread of mine related to the subject. Please stop and by and drop a link in those to this thread.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 5/26/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

SC, there are some conflicting studies out there (aren't there always!), but I started my weight-loss with the Zone Perfect plan, and slowly merged it into healthy/organic consumption along with increased exercise/resistance routines, and have maintained a consistent new size and energy level. But the conflicting results part of what I learned in the beginning was that high-glycemic foods hindered accelerated weight-loss, and the top three culprits were bananas, carrots, and (say it ain't so!) potatoes (but sweet-potatoes were high on the DO-eat list). It's not that these foods are not extremely good for you, but apparently they help keep insulin levels high, which boils down to a command for the cells to store fat. I also drank Odwalla Superfood regularly (the other major brand contains "Natural Flavors"..Odwalla does not), which was a quick surge of healthy intake, a quick energy-boost, and also served as a filling between-meals snack (and sometimes as the actual meal). I've also been hearing that organic butter is a plus, it seems to be high in a very positive fat called CLA, which actually helps burn away weight.

And please review the near-miraculous reports of cod liver oil, if you haven't already. I've been taking fish-oil capsules for some time, but just recently have been studying the tremendous benefits of cod liver oil, so I can't give a personal account of the benefits of the cod-version, yet.

Of course, the list goes on about what works and what doesn't; it'll be enjoyable to continue learning what general as well as unique approaches work best for your body and your family's health overall. Glad to read that you were able to get off the meds, too. It's cool that you are able to grow your own fresh food and just generally feel good about how you eat. I'd like to home-grow food one day soon.

Just throwing out some things that worked for me, hopefully can be of some use.

Prosperity & Peace,
OTC

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Lye corn (Indian corn) rocks buddy but is also poisonous if not made correctly and was bred to the blander but needing less work variety of corn today.

Whats makes you think Genetically engineering something is not the same as natural selection? they both achieve the same results don't they? Just through technolgy human's have quickened the process.

Myths people I don't know why people beleive in these outright lies, Not a single adverse reaction to Gentically Modified Food has been found either in human of animal.

Why you may ask? because of all the people complaining about G.M foods they are heavily regulated in the ways they are produced and tested, more so then any organic food is ever tested.

My personal Opinion

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Well, as far as health, i know for a fact that if you eat the crap they try to feed you in the supermarket you'll be unhelathy.

For years i've already been avoiding highly processed and perserved foods for the most part, and keeping up a high level of activity everyday. Between eating proper meals including animal products, and GMO stuff from the supermarket.

I'd work for at least 8 hours cooking in a strenuous environment, and after work, i'd hike and trail run at least 15 miles, more usually a 20 mile trot through the mountains at over a mile high. I was between 250 and 280lbs. No matter how much physical activity i engaged in, i just stayed big. Now i wasn't really obese at 280lbs, i had some fat, but a lot of weight was muscle in my shoulders and legs.

In Feb 2007 i stopped eating all animal products, and GMO foods, to a diet consisting of mostly all raw fruits, vegetables and some good grain products, not the bleached flour crap, but organic wheat tortillas (local) and organic baked bread. I went from around 270-280lobs that i was down to about 180 in just under a year. After fasting for a few days and then resuming a natural and healthy diet in it's entirety, i lost 35lbs in the first week, and then a few pounds a week every week after.

I didn't vary my level of activity, if anything i got less exercise because of time restraints and work.

What's even a bigger difference than the feeling of being 100lbs lighter, is being able to think clearly. The poison food was keeping me dumb, seriously, not that i was dumb before, but i felt my mind expand in it's ability to think and comprehend, hard to describe, but when i quit all the poison my brain began to function correctly.

What they feed us makes us dumb. I know for a fact because i experienced it.

The thing that upsets me the most though is when i see parents buying piles of crap for their kids, and supplying them with brain damaging poisons among other ignorant modern practices, like planting your kids in front of the TV with chips and soda instead of spending time with your kids. I'm not a parent, i don't have kids, and i won't if things don't change, because it would be child abuse to conceive a child in this unjust world of today. But, seeing parents poison and abuse their children, i fear tremendously for the future. That's one of the reasons i don't plan to be a part of society, because the future of the people, the youth, who will as unwaveringly as the march of time, become the world leaders of tomorrow.

Look around, people are getting dumber because dumb people feed their dumb kids stuff that makes humans dumb, and monsanto and other corporations are laughing all the way to the world bank, and most people are too dumb to realize they've been dumbed down.

There's a helluva lot more at stake than just your waistline, i don't care if you're fat, that only hampers you (unless you're fat and standing in a doorway:lol
but when you're dumb, that brings us all down. Minds numbed and impaired, chemically imbalanced, affect even the most aware of individuals.

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Lye corn (Indian corn) rocks buddy but is also poisonous if not made correctly and was bred to the blander but needing less work variety of corn today.

Whats makes you think Genetically engineering something is not the same as natural selection? they both achieve the same results don't they? Just through technolgy human's have quickened the process.

Myths people I don't know why people beleive in these outright lies, Not a single adverse reaction to Gentically Modified Food has been found either in human of animal.

Why you may ask? because of all the people complaining about G.M foods they are heavily regulated in the ways they are produced and tested, more so then any organic food is ever tested.

My personal Opinion

OK, in GMO foods, scientists take a medium, like a (harmless) virus, and use a "gene gun" to bypass the cell wall and inject the foreign DNA. Unlike "natural" DNA, this foreign DNA can recombine with other foreign DNA, leading to unpleasant results. Did you even watch the videos?

posted on May, 26 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
you will find out soon enough that GMOs aren't anywhere near the same as even the most exotic combination of hybridzed seed.

the salient aspect of GMOs isn't that they are any better, it's their patentability, which means lots of profits and no or restricted reseeding, which will all by itself be enough to strangle the food supply.

there's a chokepoint and it's Monsanto's lab, lol.

PS:

there's been a wealth of threads on the subject, i would recommend reading at least

and maybe

imho, the real question is not if people will abandon GM crops but when. these GMOs have been in widespread use for roughly a decade, so there was plenty of time to gain experience, but do the corporations boast about it in advertising and cite sucessful examples? if not then why not?

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by thetruth777
Just a questio..., ...Could GMOs be for EUGENICS? POPULATION CONTROL?!?!?!?

IMO if we look at the information suggesting the "NWO"'s plans for eugenics...

and look at the government shoulder rubbing, multi national corporations controling the food supplies...Monsanto "owning" via patent laws, up to 70% of the worlds major crops... dependent on Monsanto products to grow... regardless of the long term unknown health implications... What happens when they stop providing the products...

even if we wanted to grow their tainted and bastardized plants... We couldnt...

which sort of puts Monsanto on the top of my current concerns list...
they more control they have, the more danger we and our childrens children, are in.

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
More ways than you know... can someone locate - why Bovine growth hormon by Monsanto... is manditory...? so is chicken growth hormone..
I think this is an all out war on Population... I just cant tie it all together but it is a global thing... so it must be coming from the NEW WORLD ORDER or the UN.. CFR Front for the destruction of the World... they are doing a damn good job at scaring the hell out of people... and Why would they do such a thing...?
Its worse than chinese water torture... we have facts... we just dont know how they all work together...

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
yeah dude, Monsanto and their subsidaries, are bloody everywhere these days, and it really does scare the bejeesus out of me.

it really ticks me off that (at the risk of sounding naive) even here in New Zealand, where we have had long standing government positions on anti nuclear, anti GMO, to a smaller extent anti war... we are seeing these GMO's on our shelves... about 20% of whats on the shelves here comes from abroad, mostly Australia(and with all dues respect it looks like aussie rolled over and took it from the MultiNational Corps...), one of the shames about living in little old New Zealand is that for logistical purposes we share a lot of health department and food saftey type regulatory bodies with our larger neighbor Australia, and in recent years that has seen some pretty poorly balanced research, resulting in laws that are failing to protect the people, and our produce....

There was recently some legislation signed that would have allowed the production of GMO's here in NZ... and seen products containing them on our shelves un labeled....

but it seems mainstream caught wind of it, and the scandal passed off as a "slip up" seems to have been rectified... but i know its only sort term....

I have no doubt in my mind, that the likes of Monsanto, and their government buddies, The bushes, Clintons... and no doubt countless others...

Are Pure evil, Evil Personified, Evil.... Multi Nationalized, and corporatized. Evil in its most pure form... and hell bent on making the world a far worse of place, and its not the sort of issue, i feel like leaving for my children to suffer with...

i can hear my grandchildren now...

"so the information was widely avaliable, you were aware of the potential repercussions....AND YET YOU DID NOTHING?"

SHAME ON US ALL I SAY!!!

[edit on 27/5/2008 by Zeus187]

posted on May, 27 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Dear Mods,

I noticed there has been an anonymous submited, and seemingly disallowed on this thread....

correct me if i was mistaken...

I read a thread from Springer or somebody that the anonymous posts are on a seperate server... Is it possible to see what the disallowed post was?? As i am interested to see what has been censored...

cheers

one more thing, how do Mods get assigned? ive noticed some threads with one or two mods, and others with up to 7 or more...??

[edit on 27/5/2008 by Zeus187]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   

My personal Opinion

Tried but there were no such viedo's on either link.

I think people should actually learn what a gene does?

DNA is actually destroyed by heat for example cooking and all DNA is made of the same basic units so there is no contamination .

Even raw the genes used are from other plants.

Horizontal DNA transfer happens all the time

People don't seem to understand the way their own digestive system works and they get scared that something will happen to their genes LOL.

Oh yeah and to those who say GM food can't possibly feed the world ever heard of Norman Borlaug?

And may someone answer why putting pesticides on organic crops which are shown to directly affect the human body are so much worse than GMO crops which are resistant to pests and have been studied and approved for human consumption?

reply 888letsroll

Chicken growth hormone hasn't been used for years.

That my humble opinion

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Theres a lot of chemicals in foods nowadays and I don't think theres much an average person can do about it. Sure you want to eat healthy, but it's getting harder to do. A lot of these chemicals in the foods are addictive, just like nicotine and other chemicals. I cooked a wild goose yesterday, took me 6 hours to cook the thing over an open fire, on a string like my ancestors used to do.Let me tell you, it was the best meat I ever had, it was delicious. 100% natural, still had bullets in it.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

My personal Opinion

Tried but there were no such viedo's on either link.

I think people should actually learn what a gene does?

DNA is actually destroyed by heat for example cooking and all DNA is made of the same basic units so there is no contamination .

Even raw the genes used are from other plants.

Horizontal DNA transfer happens all the time

People don't seem to understand the way their own digestive system works and they get scared that something will happen to their genes LOL.

Oh yeah and to those who say GM food can't possibly feed the world ever heard of Norman Borlaug?

And may someone answer why putting pesticides on organic crops which are shown to directly affect the human body are so much worse than GMO crops which are resistant to pests and have been studied and approved for human consumption?

reply 888letsroll

Chicken growth hormone hasn't been used for years.

That my humble opinion

Look, you obviously know nothing of the subject. DNA injected artificially is NOT the same as natural DNA! Again, read the article, buy the book, watch the vids if you have any misconceptions about GMOs.

And as for herbicides/pesticides, how did people farm in the 19th century? We had people starving to death? Crops failing because of pests? NO! Back then, over 4000 varieties of corn alone were grown in the US. With so much genetic variety, the crop will NATURALLY adapt to resist herbivores. And they DID. WITHOUT HERBICIDES OR PESTICIDES!!!!!

Now look what happened. Monsanto RAPED the gene pool of our crops. Now, less than a dozen different varieties of corn are grown in the US. OF COURSE CROPS ARE SUSCEPTIBLE TO HERBIVORES WITH SUCH A TINY GENE POOL!!! And best of all, nature is STILL AT WORK! Herbivores adapt to the GMO and pesticides, and guess what? Farmers just use MORE! The solution to pests is genetic variety; NOT GMO or pesticides!!!!!

WATCH THE DOCUMENTARIES! READ THE BOOK! READ THE DOCUMENTATION INSTEAD OF PARROTING THE LIES OF MONSANTO! OF COURSE FOX NEWS WON'T ADMIT TO THIS! THEY ARE TOO BUSY GOSSIPING OVER WHICH CELEB GOT PREGNANT! READ THE BOOK! WATCH THE VIDEOS! STOP SPEWING IGNORANCE!

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   

My personal opinion

Yes yes yes I know nothing about the subject because you say so!! you are the end all of information and cannot possibly be wrong!! and apparently because I disagree I know nothing!!

Why buy a book full of propaganda which in actuality promotes misconceptions of G.M.O foods?

Yes actaully many crops failed due to pests, drought etc and no they did not naturally adapt to resist herbivores.

Even say the plants did adapt you fail to realize biological units adapt too which makes the point moot.

Yes it's all the fault of a big corporation!! everything is the fault of corporations I guess!!! one corporation made all the varieties disappear!! that makes perfect sense.

Of course nature adapts to GMO and pesticides thats why new ways to make GMO and pesticides are always in creation.

So your telling me organic crops are totally resistant to pests? herbivores? LOL.

People don't listen to the corporations or the Environmental Lobby or even to me, go out and find the real science for yourself!!!

My humble personal opinion.

posted on May, 29 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Oh, boy...
Some people's kids and some kids' parents...

My fellow citizens of the United States of Amnesia, remember Aspartame? The very same people who "sold" this are the same people who sold Bio-chem weapons to Sadam, and later "sold" the war... and you "bought" it.

Now, as far as I can tell, the same thing is happening with G.E. food. Vast majority of administrative personnel, i.e., "officials" are on the "revolving door" between Monsanto and the FDA board. So, consequently, the tests and their reports are beyond unreliable. About 4 minutes into this video, there is an interesting expose from Japan.

And here is a link to Future of Food as well as one with Spanish Subtitle if one is more comfortable with Spanish.

In this country the labeling of the questionable G.E. food is not required unlike the civilised nations in Europe or Japan, making the unsuspecting citizens sloppy test subjects.

Google Video Link

Google Video Link

Google Video Link

[edit on 29-5-2008 by reibian]

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

My personal opinion

Yes yes yes I know nothing about the subject because you say so!! you are the end all of information and cannot possibly be wrong!! and apparently because I disagree I know nothing!!

Why buy a book full of propaganda which in actuality promotes misconceptions of G.M.O foods?

Yes actaully many crops failed due to pests, drought etc and no they did not naturally adapt to resist herbivores.

Even say the plants did adapt you fail to realize biological units adapt too which makes the point moot.

Yes it's all the fault of a big corporation!! everything is the fault of corporations I guess!!! one corporation made all the varieties disappear!! that makes perfect sense.

Of course nature adapts to GMO and pesticides thats why new ways to make GMO and pesticides are always in creation.

So your telling me organic crops are totally resistant to pests? herbivores? LOL.

People don't listen to the corporations or the Environmental Lobby or even to me, go out and find the real science for yourself!!!

My humble personal opinion.

Do you have any links besides two slim articles (one of them being from Monsanto's site) to support your "humble personal opinion?" I've linked to a GMO truth site, a 100-page book, and 2 2-hour documentaries. There were about six links provided by other posters, all of them supporting my point. I recommends you actually VISIT the links, and ACTUALLY WATCH the videos before making your bold statements.

You call 100+ pages of text and 6+ hours of documentary video "propaganda". May I ask you: what web pages/videos/INDEPENDENT scientific studies can you link to to support your opinion?

P.S. A website came to my attention yesterday, www.healthfreedomusa.org...

Fabulous web site, exposes everything from GMOs to mercury-filled vaccines to the new Codux Alimentarius mandate that will criminalize natural health, vitamins, and herbs

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
my humble opinion

Sorry it takes me awhile to find time in my life to watch hours of video etc but I tried and from what I've seen in my opinion it's all just a bunch of fear mongering.

But you've won I'm not even going to bother anymore, believe what your going to believe and I'll continue on with my jive.

thats my humble opinion

posted on Jun, 10 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   

my humble opinion

Sorry it takes me awhile to find time in my life to watch hours of video etc but I tried and from what I've seen in my opinion it's all just a bunch of fear mongering.

But you've won I'm not even going to bother anymore, believe what your going to believe and I'll continue on with my jive.

thats my humble opinion

"Fear mongering"?

Please explain and break down the "fear mongering".

posted on Jun, 11 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I see you disagree with the points I made and the 4+ hours of video I provided.

May I ask you: on what basis do you think those videos are "fear mongering"?

The anti-GMO videos/books are fear mongering, GMO foods are indeed good for human consumption, the foreign press is wrong when they write about the dangers of GMOs, and the INDEPENDENT nations that have BANNED GMOs are all "misled" and "uncivilized". Most of Europe has passed a law requiring the labeling of GMO foods, something that will never happen in the US and Canada.

So, "fear mongering"? Or someone who watches too much mainstream news?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join