It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. military relief supplies arrive in Chengdu (China)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   

U.S. military relief supplies arrive in Chengdu

english.people.com.cn

The supplies, the first of its kind from a foreign military, including food, tents, power generators and blankets, were badly needed in the quake-hit area, and would greatly facilitate China's rescue operations, said Guan Youfei, Deputy Director of the foreign affairs office of China's National Defense Ministry, expressing his gratitude to the U.S. emergent humanitarian aid.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I thought that this was a significant story for a couple of reasons.
First of all, compare this countries actions with those of the Myanmar junta. Isn't it great that this once sealed off nation can accept help without considering it a loss of pride? Maybe we should take a hint...

Second, this is in the State newspaper, which means that they are telling their own people that something from our country was good and helpful. I think that this is such a departure from the kind of cold back and forth that the USSR and USA were used to... and I'm happy that this is so, even if it is just to make the Olympics go off better....

You should check out the state paper from time to time. Interesting....

english.people.com.cn
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I suppose I should have expected that no one would have been interested in a thread that shows positive interaction between two world powers, no matter the horrible image that both these countries have perpetuated for them throughout the world.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Chill dude/dudette. I've written many threads that were not even noticed. There are a lot of reasons, one of which is that a sunday night in North America, where the greater portion of ATS members live, is a slow time. Even the Robbie Williams thread has cooled down a bit.

Yes, these are good signs that China and the U S are being civil to each other. But sadly, politics is a game where getting along one day doesn't seem to mean much the next.

China wants to be all warm and fuzzy looking because they want the olympics to come off well, and the US always wants to look like the nice guy that's just misunderstood. So at this particular time and place, the two countries act buddy-buddy.

And I'm NOT talking about the citizens of those nations, but their leaders.

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Don't worry, long ago I noticed that my posting times coincide with a downtime for most of the ATS community. I just hat the "bot" system of boosting threads, and would prefer to at least say anything that might get someone to open a conversation on the topic. But thanks for your input. I also believe it to be a show, but this article was also in a Chinese state paper, and I could hardly believe the same would have happened in the USSR at its height. Maybe we are not so far from seeing a "free" china. Or just more Olympic posturing...

posted on May, 18 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I was going to the same .. it is all political. Meanwhile, behind the curtains, the US and China are conducing Information Warfare strategies etc.

I'll feel better when and if there is a reduction in Nuclear weapons. The problem is, China has some pointed at us now and are bulding one helluva naval fleet with Agesis like destroyers and 094 class Nuclear Submarines.

All that hardware is meant more than just to intimidate, it is meant to be used if needs be. The US is the same. We are on a collision course unfortuantely.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Thank you for your help, Americans,
Chengdu is a beautiful city.
I hope the pilot crew will have a good time
in Chengdu after the rescue work.
tieba.baidu.com...
www.skyscrapercity.com...

[edit on 19-5-2008 by gs001]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by gs001

My only hope, is that in the event of a crisis in the future, there can be an environment of cooperation between our two nations. I am writing a series of essays, and one of them deals with a Mass of young students from the U.S., China, and Russia, not to mention the European union, who will position themselves like a giant peace corps, helping under developed nations work on farming, education, and health and sanitation. This kind of humanitarian work will help foster that ability.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Unless the value of the items we gave them is deducted from our trade deficit, this action is an unconstitutional waste of our money.

Yet again, our government wastes our money. Anyone surprised?

[edit on 19-5-2008 by slackerwire]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

Actually,, I believe that we must have an emergency "slush" fund for actions like these. Either way, how can you argue against aid that helps people in distress?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

The Chinese aren't our responsibility. They are the responsibility of the Chinese government.

Our economy sucks, and further unconstitutional expenditures of OUR money that doesn't benefit Americans in any way is never a good idea.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Why don't we just all knit a huge quilt while were at it and display in the streets of DC for the world to see.

Those things aren't going to stop Nuclear weapons pointing at each other's nations. It's not going to stop Nuclear submarines, global reach and stealth warfare.

Before, it was Mutually Assured Destruction that kept the peace. Not the case now. You knock satellites out of the sky with lasers and you render the enemy blind. No more satellite guided missles.

I hate to be so pessemistic, but to get at the root of the problem requires much more.

It's good you're writing essays, but respect is earned by not submitting. There-in lies the problem. Neither country will submit.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Can you not agree that alot of the problems facing our respective nations are generational? That by altering the views of younger generations, we can undo the damage done, whether unintentional or otherwise, by our previous generations? I agree that there should not be confrontation of any military means unless called for, however, if dropping u.s. paid for goods on the people that made them fosters peaceful attitudes, I'm all for it. Plus, you should always have compassion for those that suffer. Sorry if that is such an archaic idea.
And my essays are not about making quilts. actually, I harbor little hope that some of the worlds conflicts will eventually be solved with peace alone.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Does the fact that spending our money in this way is Unconstitutional mean anything to you?

Why is it that people always bring up "being compassionate" when it involves spending other peoples money?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Read my history bro. I think that I fall far from the tree on liberal spending. But I would gladly authorize that my senator spend money on helping victims of disasters, especially if they seek it. I would hope that the world respond to this, rather than N. Koreas next set of demands.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
The ignorance of certain people will drive someone not wanting to reply to make a post. What trade-deficit? How much profit was transfered back to the American Multinationals? I can continue "rant on and make brainless" comments like many in ATS is doing, but feel more it would be a waste of time.

To NGC/Jason,
Any support is welcome, and you will see great efforts by the Chinese leaders to reduce the increasing anti-Americanism in the Chinese society, ever since the anti-China propaganda was set on full speed. The Chinese media even ignored pretty much all anti-China news from similar posters like Slackerwire and trying to give the mourning Chinese people a feeling the whole world feel for us for the past week. I don't think this is because of the Olympics, it is because the Chinese leaders know very well how dangerous it is if a whole nation becomes xenophobic and isolate herself from the rest of the world.
There is most likely hope in Beijing that a "wild card" will be elected into office this year, so USA might change her almost a decade-old of Empirialistic foreign policies. If you get another Republican president like McCain, then you will see an acceleration of widening gap between the USA and the world.

[edit on 19/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
I agree that what you're doing is good. If it helps change some attitudes of new generations that would be great. However, there is heavy censorship by the Chinese government (not now before the Olympics though) and the US media spin machine. Both are coercive on a massive level based on interests of those in control. For the US, it is usually about money. For China, it is about hemogany. Both the US and China want a New World Order, but their views in managing are different. The US version has Corporations running everything (Corporate Facism). The Chinese version has it as Communism 101 (same as they have had for years, but modernized). In China's version, there are even fewer in control.

The quest for New World Order may cause WWIII between superpowers with Iran going rampid in the ME as an undercard.

To divert all this, would be to divert the NWO. There only two ways you can have a Utopia (and even for a limited time):

- Scenerio one: One superpower is successful and governs the NWO
This would only happen after a war, unfortunately

- Scenerio two: Invasion by Aliens to bring the world to a common goal

Unfortuantely, we all just can't get along. The more technology and the more religous battles puts the world into a state of complexity and self-serving interests more than any other time before.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   

The Constitution doesn't authorize your senator to make such an expenditure of our money.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by IchiNiSan
The ignorance of certain people will drive someone not wanting to reply to make a post. What trade-deficit?

[edit on 19/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

This one

$54,745,300,000 as of March of this year.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Your constitution did not authorize your troops to self-appoint yourself as Worldpolice and invade other innocent countries either. # happens.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join