It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. military relief supplies arrive in Chengdu (China)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by gs001
Thank you for your help, Americans,
Chengdu is a beautiful city.
I hope the pilot crew will have a good time
in Chengdu after the rescue work.
tieba.baidu.com...
www.skyscrapercity.com...

[edit on 19-5-2008 by gs001]

This is probably my favorite reason for reading ATS, hearing the views from people around the world..being able to talk to them..regular people just like me.

Was watching on the news pictures of the crew from our planes talking to each other ect.. Regardless of what 'saber rattling' each country does or what behind the scenes political agendas each may have, THIS moment is what each of the crews (the Chinese and the US) will take home with them. And it looks to be a very positive one.

I remember when I lived in Corpus (south Texas coast) a few East German Destroyers came into port for a few days. They opened their ships up to the public and let people tour them, they were all over the area at clubs, and some restaurants..some of them even bought Harleys and we watched them ride them over planks onto their ships!! It was great, they were all very nice, they loved the fact that they got to visit and we loved that they were so open and friendly..and omg, just like us!!

Sometimes its just nice to see things without all the politics involved.

Thanks to the OP for sharing this story
s/f from me

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
slackwire you gotta stop thinking about your country and its borders, we all live on the same rock and are all the same............human.

Put it this way, if someone asked you to sponser them for running a marathon to raise money for children with cancer, would you sponser them because it was for a just cause or would you be in two minds if their nationality was not the same as yours, even dare I say it the money was going to a cancer charity in another country ????

Lead with your heart

Wolfie

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by malganis

No, the American troops who do save lives are loved. Up untill today in many parts of China people still remember who fought side-on-side (as a matter of speaking) with the Chinese Nationalists and Chinese Communists against the the Japs. And those who delivered the relief material are also loved by the people receiving them. People are grateful and remember the good deeds, it is just people also remember the bad deeds.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfie_UK
slackwire you gotta stop thinking about your country and its borders, we all live on the same rock and are all the same............human.

Put it this way, if someone asked you to sponser them for running a marathon to raise money for children with cancer, would you sponser them because it was for a just cause or would you be in two minds if their nationality was not the same as yours, even dare I say it the money was going to a cancer charity in another country ????

Lead with your heart

Wolfie

I do lead with my heart, and my heart tells me to take care of my own first.

I donate quite a bit to charity actually, but before I do, I make sure all funds stay within the U.S., or serve Americans only.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

I concur,

And that's why I normally don't even bother to waste my time on Xinhua for the more "serious" topics, once in a while one of my friends will aware me of some important articles.

I told you once, I told the ATS community many times. The Chinese Great Firewall is much less great than many are led to believe. Despite the feelings many get, English proficieny Chinese Netizens are mainly coming from Overseas (like me), living in the mainland (also like me) are limited to not many, especially not many who are willing to debate much in foreign forums and even in English. One day if you learn some Chinese, and you will see how varied the Chinese community is. My feeling is that the Chinese government does monitor it and from time to time you will notice that certain policies are introducied because of the "general opinion" on internet.

One small example: This year we have changed the public holidays, re-introducing some traditional Chinese holidays. The final choosing of the new extra public holidays were based on the internet polls. Yes, everything start with something small, and so is the reforming of the government.

One article very interesting for many to read: The Chinese Brand of Democracy

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

You view my friend is so polarized, just as most of the world sees America, but more sadly how America thinks the world is America.

Wolfie

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   

You view my friend is so polarized, just as most of the world sees America, but more sadly how America thinks the world is America.

Wolfie

Taking care of my own is polarizing?

Should I feed my infant son first, or should I feed someone elses kid?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

If your first post in this thread was about looking after your own nearest and dearest then I would agree that charity begins at home.

As it wasn't what more do you want me to say, I agree with the point you just made but disagree with the first few points you made.

Wolfie

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wolfie_UK

Sending our money overseas in the form of "aid" is unconstitutional.

Charity is a private affair, not a government mandated one.

[edit on 19-5-2008 by slackerwire]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   

So does the US government take nothing from charities, no taxes no nothing ???

Wolfie

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

No, actually the U.S. grants tax-exempt status to various non-profits and churches. If you will notice, there is a long contested debate over the church of scientology and its fight for tax exempt status.
As for the aid? Although I agree that it is not within the power of congress to do or authorize such things, it is within the power of the president if he deems it a national security issue. But then again, our agreements with the U.N. are also unconstitutional, but that doesn't stop the government. I guess I just feel that in the long run, aiding others who are in plight, and knowing that the help means the difference between life and death, makes all the difference to me. It's not like we are talking about reconstruction here, in which case I feel that loans would be enough, unless specialized labor forces are also needed.

[edit on 19-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   
We owe the Chinese a LOT more than just that one plane load. They sent $5 million for Katrina ( en.wikipedia.org... ) and the plane load we sent to China isn't even 10% of $5 million. Repay SEVEN times is my rule for good deeds. I hope we send another SEVENTY plane loads!

I wish we could send hugs to cheer up the families who lost loved ones.

To our Chinese ATS members, I hope you realize that a one overspoken [snip] doesn't represent ALL Americans. Some of us do still have a heart.

[edit on 19-5-2008 by Trexter Ziam]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Very much agreed with you. However, I can't star you if you call someone names, especially the "r" word...
Just remember, it's only racism if race is the deciding factor. Last I checked, there are many Americans of Chinese descent in this country. The person you aimed that at was making a statement about americans. Not all americans are white. That is stereotyping.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
We owe the Chinese a LOT more than just that one plane load. They sent $5 million for Katrina ( en.wikipedia.org... ) and the plane load we sent to China isn't even 10% of $5 million. Repay SEVEN times is my rule for good deeds. I hope we send another SEVENTY plane loads!

I wish we could send hugs to cheer up the families who lost loved ones.

To our Chinese ATS members, I hope you realize that a one overspoken rascist doesn't represent ALL Americans. Some of us do still have a heart.

[edit on 19-5-2008 by Trexter Ziam]

The Constitution doesnt really mean anything to you does it?

Honestly, have you ever read it?

On a side note, who is this racist you speak of?

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
slackerwire from many many posts on ATS, the constitution does not mean a fat lot to your leaders either.

Sometimes it is just nice to be nice and to give a helping hand, even if it does go against what you believe in or what your constitution says.

Wolfie

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Actually, it is not even so much about the value. It is about sincerity, gesture and support shown in time of needs for others in a crisis. Only when a "support" is somewhat skewed and a bit out of line, then it might be looked upon and more will be looked behind it. Ungratefulness and only remembering the bad parts in a relation will only keep it short and never really long-term. The more of these kinds of people the more a bilateral relation might be kept very short. More than ever I am concerned for American's presidential election year, so are many millions others from over the world. Because the last thing this world need is another neo-con in the White House ruining your country....

Nevertheless, don't worry, I have seen worse, even in ATS. And I do have personal friends on each sides of the coasts, even travelled throughout the country once. I know very well how divided your country sometimes can be. And because of my job natures, I know more ”republicans“ than "liberal lefts" (wink to Jason). Normally I would not even bother to reponse in the way I did in here. Guess only in an overly emotional state I just want to have something to rant on.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The constitution of a country is based on the beliefs and the way of ruling wanted by the people. It can and should be modified or amended in time, which has been done many times throughout the history when the society is also developing.

The risk of holding up the constitution and be blind towards the world around you will make the constitution only becoming another holy bible or holy koran and actually obsolete in dealing with the world affairs, which include someon'e own internal politics.

Just be reminded, this planet has proven to us all that it is tiny, and there is no escape in facing someone from another country with a totally different belief, culture and political & economic system. If each time you face someone different you are closing up the doors, you will simply start to isolate yourself and lack behind in world development.

Don't start to be arrogant and say you can miss the world all at all. We (Chinese) thought that centuries ago. We thought we are the middle kingdom, and at the peak of the Qing Dynasty, one of the greatest emporer in that dynasty also made the arrogant and xenophobic decision not to endorse Science and foreign technologies in his old ages. After the Qianlong era our Chinese empire only started to lack behind in development. Eventually we are so xenophobic and even isolated ourselves causing the whole empire to fall apart. If history courses was only slightly different the past 150 years, then maybe China is maybe worse off than maybe even Africa, or simply part of the Japanese empire, who were bright enough to embrace foreign influences (technologies, developments), but always kept in own control.

Learn from history, and not only from your own ones!

[edit on 19/5/08 by IchiNiSan]

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

slackerwire from many many posts on ATS, the constitution does not mean a fat lot to your leaders either.

Sometimes it is just nice to be nice and to give a helping hand, even if it does go against what you believe in or what your constitution says.

Wolfie

You think I am a racist? You couldnt possibly be further from the truth.

I always get a chuckle when other people whine about being compassionate when it comes to spending other peoples money.

How much have you personally sent to help those in China? 10 grand? 50 grand?

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
the racist attack.... /fumble

(looks for point hit)

posted on May, 20 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire

Sending our money overseas in the form of "aid" is unconstitutional.

Charity is a private affair, not a government mandated one.

Sending our money overseas in the form of missiles, bullets and death is immoral.

But no one cares, because America is the best and greatest and can do no harm..

It is the the moral responsibility of your nation, any nation to aid those in need - I don't give a hoot what a piece of paper says.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join