It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Rainbow Serpents

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by OEAOHOO

As for serpents..they're seminal to all proto-religions..why??

Its about time we get to the bottom of this, be it through the metaphysical/occult/gnostic explanation or through the ancient-extraterrestrial one or a mixture of both.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I found a more detailed summary of the Aborigine-UFO-Abduction enigma...

HERE

[edit on 30-6-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I grew up with Aborigines and sat around many a camp fire and listened to different elders tell stories.

What doesn't make the news papers or TV are their stories of UFO encounters. I'm not talking about Dream Time teachings, I mean real UFO encounters out in the middle of nowhere.

One such tale that I found very interesting was an old fellow who described 3 brilliant lights zooming around the sky late one night.
He watched them for over an hour doing "tricks" in the sky. The interesting thing about the story was the ending, when he said they flew really fast into the ground and disappeared.

Secret bases out on the middle of nowhere? I dont know.
But it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. If there was a place you'd want to hide stuff in the most remote place on earth, Australia would be it.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Good Thread.

Yep, the aboriginies are (exceptional people) older then what is really known, there culture is more around four- million -years- old, but at least they show its (old) good enough for me.

They have there small dreams that deal with this world and they have the Big Dreams which reflect the world around them as a whole.

Earths Tribe, these people know how to use the universal force, which has been passed down generation to generation.

The Aboriginal man is a space man. You could say one of the original people here.

Australia, is a special place with no known wars yet to date, those Aussies must know something.

The big red rock there alone would have to be a great place of altering perception. That monument taps into space energy.

Just added to the thread, these people inhabit a -special knowledge- only known to a select few. They only take what is needed. The land is there balance mechanism.

Funny how the aboriginal people share a lot of similiar features that of the cave man.

When civilisations have come and gone there's is still the same.

Western Culture has situated Aboriginal culture on the margins of dominant society.

www.lclark.edu...

[edit on 16-5-2008 by menguard]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I became interested in the 'Thunderbirds' as recounted by I believe Hopi elders listening to c2c in the four corners area. Their are numerous drawing representation of them as well in rock.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Science is flawed in some aspects. It can't prove everything and answer the questions we really want to know. People can't except this. especially people who have dedicated their whole lives to certain theories and beliefs and refuse to change them after a while.
I think Mythology is a hidden secret kept from us that is actually true. IT deals with concepts we haven't been raised to except as truth. We are people kept in the dark about the real truth behind mythology.
It can't just be coincidence that on every continent there are stories of serpent gods and flood stories like noahs ark.
It's because it's all true but science can't prove it's true. I think all mythology at one point was true.....
But we humans always tend to think we know everything already and are very egotistical when it comes to excepting others ideas. because it would mean having to admit you were wrong. And the " experts" wouldn't be known as experts anymore if they were proven wrong. People of that stature have a raputation to maintain and in the end that reputation becomes more important to them then what they orginally set out far.
It's the same thing when artifacts are discovered by amature archiologists and the " experts" dismiss everything because they diddn't discover it. There was a naked Archiologist episode 2 days ago with that Simcha Jakobovich guy or however you spell his name and the whole episode was dedicated to amature finds that had it not been for the amatures, then they never would have been discovered.
People..........We know probably 3% of our earths true actually history....the rest is speculation that we end up thinking is fact because it's the closest guess .
Science argues that mythology can't be real or can't be proven real. Well my question is, Can science prove it is not real?????

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Burginthorn

Would it seem like UFOs prefer being visible for aborigines?

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Would you like to share some pics of those drawings?

Wouldnt surprise me if its the very same thing as in the rest of the world.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

As most of them are described "spitting fire" we can instead assume that they refer to misunderstood technology and aircraft or real deities that roamed the earth long ago.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by Skyfloating]

Just thought I'd contribute a tid-bit of information that may be useful sometime ahead in this conversation -- "elementals" fall into four different categories and they are earth, air, water and fire.
The ones who fall into the Fire category that some call "Salamanders" are said to look reptilian.

altreligion.about.com...

[edit on 16-5-2008 by wang_ke_~]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Sorry to be a wet blanket but the rainbow serpent is perhaps their cultural explanation for *ahem* rainbows. The curved shape as it arches out of the ground into the sky and back again as well as the colourful iridescence is matched in the ubiquitous snakes of Australia. Sometimes the obvious solution is the hardest to see.

Don't get me wrong I have more respect for Aboriginal culture than most people I know and place great stock in their myths and legends. The concept of dreamtime for example is mind-expanding, and something our quantum physicists are only just beginning to suspect. They know that our reality is an illusion or merely an iteration. The dreamtime is not just the past but the present and future, the omnipresence of existence beyond our '5-senses' dimension which is perpetually entwined with our perceived reality. Like I said, when you finally 'get it' it makes the jaw drop.

Regarding UFOs yes they are aware of them and have many legends about them, ancient and recent. When I was out near Tennant Creek a few years ago a local elder was telling me how the lights are a VERY regular occurrence in their skies.

Also there is the whole yowie thing and coming to grips with that is at once a frightening and exhilarating experience. I may start a new thread on it soon.

The annihilation of Aboriginal people and culture is a damning stain on the soul of Australia whether some choose to acknowledge it or not.

[edit on 16-5-2008 by Shar_Chi]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar_Chi
Sorry to be a wet blanket but the rainbow serpent is perhaps their cultural explanation for *ahem* rainbows. The curved shape as it arches out of the ground into the sky and back again as well as the colourful iridescence is matched in the ubiquitous snakes of Australia. Sometimes the obvious solution is the hardest to see.

Sorry to be a blanket-dryer, but that wouldnt explain the list of global serpent mythologies (pg 1).

Don't get me wrong I have more respect for Aboriginal culture than most people I know and place great stock in their myths and legends. The concept of dreamtime for example is mind-expanding, and something our quantum physicists are only just beginning to suspect. They know that our reality is an illusion or merely an iteration. The dreamtime is not just the past but the present and future, the omnipresence of existence beyond our '5-senses' dimension which is perpetually entwined with our perceived reality. Like I said, when you finally 'get it' it makes the jaw drop.

Yes. Which is why I was excited that they not only pre-date quantum physics but also geology and geography (see OP).

Regarding UFOs yes they are aware of them and have many legends about them, ancient and recent. When I was out near Tennant Creek a few years ago a local elder was telling me how the lights are a VERY regular occurrence in their skies.

Do you think they are more visible to aborigines?

Also there is the whole yowie thing and coming to grips with that is at once a frightening and exhilarating experience. I may start a new thread on it soon. The annihilation of Aboriginal people and culture is a damning stain on the soul of Australia whether some choose to acknowledge it or not.

Shame, isnt it?

[edit on 16-5-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Since nobody at all has been replying or referring to the gist of this (scientific verification of very ancient mythology), I´ll repost this excerpt here:

In the case of the Atherton Tableland myths telling of the origins of Lake Eacham, Lake Barine, and Lake Euramo, geological research had dated the same formative volcanic explosions described by Aboriginal myth tellers, as having occurred more than 10 000 years ago. Pollen fossil sampling from the silt that'd settled to the bottom of those craters since their formation confirmed Aboriginal myth-tellers advice that at the time eucalypt forests dominated rather than the current wet tropical rain forests.

Dixon observed, from the evidence available, Aboriginal myths regarding the origin of the Crater Lakes might be dated as accurate back to 10 000 years ago.. Further investigation of these observations by the Australian Heritage Commission lead to the Crater Lakes myth being listed nationally on the Register of the National Estate, and included within Australia's World Heritage nomination of the wet tropical forests, as an "unparalleled human record of events dating back to the Pleistocene era".

Since then Dixon assembled a number of similar examples of Aboriginal myths performed or told around Australia accurately describing the landscapes of an ancient past, particularly noting the large number of myths telling of previous sea levels, including

* the Port Phillip Bay myth recorded as being told to Mr Robert Russell in 1850, describing Port Phillip Bay as dry land once, and the course of the Yarra River being once different (following the then Carrum Carrum swamp) - an oral recollection that would have been accurate 10 000 years ago

* the Great Barrier Reef coastline myth told to Dixon himself in Yarrabah, just south of Cairns telling of a past coastline (since flooded) which stood at the edge of the current Great Barrier Reef, and naming places now completely submerged after the forest types and trees that once grew there - an oral record that would have been accurate 10 000 years ago

* the Lake Eyre myths recorded by J.W Gregory in 1906 telling of the deserts of Central Australia once being fertile, well watered plains and the deserts around present Lake Eyre having been one continuous garden - an oral recollection which matches geologists' understanding that there was a wet phase to the early Holocene when the Lake would have had permanent water.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

Yes! It's amazing isn't it? and I must say, we live in a fascinating time in the modern era because we are FINALLY making discoveries on a daily basis where we are finding that each new thing that we find out about corresponds very elegantly with ancient history and mythology!

In fact, there are so many, it would take a book to list them all but the information you are sharing with us in that post is typical of this.

One thing I would like to bring up is that in the age of antiquity and those "ages" before that, there's a strong cross cultural tradition within the oral tradition to repeat each story of lore word by word exactly as the story has been told from one generation to the next. Since the spoken word was the only means by which these story's could be passed on like this, it doesn't take too much an imagination to realize just how important those oral traditions were where if one word was omitted or added such errors were sometimes punishable by death to those who were the appointed "story-tellers".

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Great thread Skyfloating! I think the remaining old cultures on Earth are the ones that still hold the true knowledge, and they often corroborate with one and other, independantely.

The idea of serpent like astronaut beings, that came from the skies, and created/manipulated mankind, seems pretty widespread in the history of the ancient cultures.

I also think the whole Reptillian thing is connected to, or originated from these accounts.

A while back I posted a video here on ATS, wich showed a perspective on this, no replies, lol. It shows the connection between the stories of the old cultures.
It's just a short movie, nothing earthshattering and kind of shady, but worth a watch.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 16/5/08 by enigmania]

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar_Chi

So are you saying that "Rainbows" are serpents? I thought that the word "Rainbow" in the term "Rainbow Serpent" is being used as an adjective in this particular case where the word "Serpent" is the noun.

It would seem to me that if "Rainbow's are "serpents", as you are describing in your statements above, then the more correct term would be "Serpent Rainbows" and not Rainbow Serpents.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

What a wondeful thread.I do belive we have a shared history.Your research into this subject has reinforced that.Im really looking forward to more.Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tricky63

What a wondeful thread.I do belive we have a shared history.Your research into this subject has reinforced that.Im really looking forward to more.Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

Could you share with us some of your research in this area? I would love to see it!

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I don’t know if this is relevant to you’re post or not but I wanted to share this little tidbit of information.

In Cherokee legend there is a snake deity that according to legend formed the river Nantahala by just slithering along. At the end of its journey it created Lake Nantahala and a waterfall there. It is said to rest at the bottom of the waterfall calling the lake its home.

Also I have been fascinated with the story of quetzocotal ever since I was a child. I used to have dreams where I would see the winged serpent coiled and spreading it wings.

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Found a link with dude showing off Bullroarer. Would spook the heck out of me if I couldn't see the source.

www.truveo.com...

posted on May, 16 2008 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by wang_ke_~

No, it's used as a metaphor like many many folk stories around the world to simultaneously explain natural phenomenon, weave cultural fabric and entertain the kids. As far as drafting it into the whole 'winged serpents from around the world' thing, I won't go there, I'm just offering my own take. My only advice when trying to understand another culture is to put yourself in their time and place as much as possible and see the world through their eyes.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join