It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vatican: It's OK for Catholics to Believe in Aliens

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
In 1633 the astronomer was tried as a heretic and forced to recant his theory that the Earth revolved around the sun. Church teaching at the time placed Earth at the center of the universe.

Pope John Paul declared in 1992 that the ruling against Galileo was an error resulting from "tragic mutual incomprehension."
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
So, 359 years later the Church calls it "tragic mutual incomprehension."
Prehaps the Church should have left out the mutual portion. After all
Galileo did not have incomprehension, he had comprehension.

And a mere 31 years after Galileo, the Salem Witch Trails were being conducted. Still more "tragic mutual incomprehension"?

The Church is run by mere mortal people, not any better or worse than anyone who does not believe in a god and subject to mortal mistakes.
It is just too bad the difference is the power to persude the mass populous.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
Well that's good. Someday they will admit to evolution as well.

Why would they since evolution is still just a THEORY.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
That wasn't a crack on Catholics, so don't make it out to be.

I do agree! And the catholics here Im sure wont take that as a crack on them personally.. I think deep down we are getting closer to all understanding what we are trying to say.

The base of people are naturally good folks, with only love in their hearts.
And most of them wont want war, they dont want the negtive things that we see in this world..

So its all good.. Its just going to take some time for some of them to find it on their own. In no way should we push our feelings on to them.
They will learn in their own time, and in their own way..

Love overcomes all.. And the people who go to church and stuff, are doing it for the right reasons, but IMO are being mislead by those who have power and money.
But that is for them to find out.. Same with Alien life else where..
Its up to them to belive it with their own hearts, becasue they feel its true.
Not becasue someone told them its Okay to feel that way..

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Well, well, another mainstream group comes on board and takes ATS one more step out of the alternative conspiracy realm. Why now, I wonder?

The Rev. Jose Gabriel Funes, the Jesuit director of the Vatican Observatory

Has he now seen enough and made a realization that it must be or is there some unsaid knowledge or something specific he has observed?

why should we not talk about an 'extraterrestrial brother'?

because aliens would still be God's creatures. Ruling out the existence of aliens would be like "putting limits" on God's creative freedom

It's about time - Now when does the mainstream disclosure begin?

I bet the Alien deniers and debunker's are having a tizzy about now.
Already in this thread attacking the Vatican.

[edit on 13-5-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by hawk123
What is going on with the Vatican news ?

None of this is official Catholic doctrine. It's just people in the church with opinions. They are allowed their own opinions.

oh .. and the fella from the observatory .... his message about Alien life forms is old news I think. Sorry.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
and the fella from the observatory .... his message about Alien life forms is old news I think. Sorry.

Old news indeed
Is that why the AP has picked up the story as well?

Seems the debunker's are out in droves already.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
Old news indeed
Is that why the AP has picked up the story as well?

No .. I mean that we have heard things from this fella before. This isn't the first time he has said something like this. Other news items have come from that site and from him along the same thought process.

Seems the debunker's are out in droves already.

1 - I'm just one person .. not exactly a 'drove'.
2 - I'm not a 'debunker'. And what exactly would I be de-bunking anyways?
3- I'm for full disclosure from EVERYONE ... including the Vatican (if they know anything)
4 - Not that it matters - but I DO think he has probably seen things (ET?)

You are off base.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

1 - I'm just one person .. not exactly a 'drove'.

There is more than one in this thread I was referring to, you just happened to post next to me, so you were an easy target to quote.

2 - I'm not a 'debunker'. And what exactly would I be de-bunking anyways?

You dismissed it as not new news in order to diminish it's relevance. If you really want full disclosure as you say - then you would applaud his effort to make that easier for everyone.

Baby steps, we are unlikely to get full blown disclosure at once, just little bits at a time so order can be maintained.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I recall many months ago, maybe over a year ago or so, on Coast to Coast AM that a guest spoke about the Jesuits and how they printed a booklet on how we humans should deal with aliens. In the pamphlet it was said that we should not impress upon aliens our idea of Jesus, that they might have their own Jesus. I have searched for this pamphlet online but have not found it anywhere. Nevertheless, I found it interesting that this would be a line of thought that even a part of the Catholic Church would embrace. Although I am not Catholic, and even a bit anti-Catholic, I found some personal truth in this idea.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
As was mentioned before, I am not sure what to think of this. Is this just another step in what will be a planned invasion by the government to invoke martial law or does the Vatican just know a little more than we do and realize that disclosure is going to happen and they are just covering there aces. Time will tell.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
ahaha what would the vaticans think if aliens came to us with proof that god is fake!? i would laugh at the irony of it all.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
So I guess that means all those ET's who weren't lucky enough to travel billions of light years across the universe to be able to accept Jesus Christ as their savior are basically ****ed?

And I guess those same ET's who are vastly more intelligent then us seeing as they can traverse said distance are also at the same time inferior to us seeing as God created MAN in his own image?

And I guess when science continuously shows at the very least some proof of evolution as opposed to the churches no proof of creationism, the Vatican has to start conceding some things?

[edit on 14-5-2008 by C0le]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
So I guess that means all those ET's who weren't lucky enough to travel billions of light years across the universe to be able to accept Jesus Christ as their savior are basically ****ed?

I believe that Vatican thinks they may have there own version of Jesus.
Not sure, but thats what I've heard.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
How many closet alien beliveing Catholics will be releived to hear this?

So the Pope has that much power over people to control what they can and cannot believe? (Bible excluded of course)

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
You know I had just finished reading William Cooper's "Behold a Pale Horse" last night at about this same time. Of course some of his opinions are kinda out there but when I saw this thread I just couldnt help but think about how he said we were being "softened" to the idea of aliens as a society. What better way for this to happen than to have the worlds largest religion aknowledge their existence as possible? What are your thoughts

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by JesterMan

that is an interesting thought they certainly are softening us to many more modern thoughts as well. like isnt it a sin to litter now?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
The Popes visit, the Popes comment, Britain releasing info, most of the world releasing info....
All the sightings around the world....I beleive there will be some kind of disclosure by NASA, dont get me wrong, not fully, but they will allude to the "possibility" of Extra Terrestrial life in the universe.

Why has the Vatican invested so many millions in telescopes, space exploration? To filter out before NASA information.

I listened to Coast to Coast and a caller said a vatican priest told him that one day there would be incredible news, and DONT BELEIVE IT.

If any of you are really interested in this subject please go listen to the streams.

While i think it would take the Pope to break the news, i still find it hard to beleive anything.

Why is it so hard to beleive? Agendas? Malevolence in the world?

I dont know. :shk:

KLEVERONE: I tend to agree with YOU.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
You dismissed it as not new news in order to diminish it's relevance.

:shk: Bull.

If you really want full disclosure as you say - then you would applaud his effort to make that easier for everyone.

You are STILL WRONG.

Obviously you haven't read any of my posts on this site in reference to disclosure.

The FACT is that this fella has been saying this type of thing for years.
It's just not 'news'. He has an OPINION but isn't offering any INFORMATION.

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
So the Pope has that much power over people to control what they can and cannot believe?

Of course not.

As i said ... this is one persons OPINION. Everyone is allowed an OPINION. It is also not catholic doctrine, one way or the other, in regards to aliens or alien life forms.

[edit on 5/14/2008 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

But for ANYONE from the Vatican to speak on behalf of the Vatican to make any kind of public statement would have to get approval from the Pope or at least have authority to speak on his behalf. Is this not correct?

That said, the statement from the Vatican that there coud be 'intelegent' life beyond Earth would suggest it is OK to believe. Now I am generalising based on many statements here and elsewhere but te idea of ET goes against what many Christians/Catholics have prevously been 'allowed' to believe.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
Is this not correct?

No. All sorts of wonky things come from people who have work connected with the Vatican. They are allowed. It might get frowned on, but it obviously wont' affect his 'career' or anything.

te idea of ET goes against what many Christians/Catholics have prevously been 'allowed' to believe.

I don't know about protestants. I just know that modern day Catholics are allowed to believe whatever they want. Back 500 years ago ... I don't know. But nowadays it's a 'whatever you want' as long as it doesn't clash with the doctrine of the church - and ET doesn't clash with it.

(of the Catholics I know - about half believe that life outside of earth is possible, or even probable)

BTW ...I work with a few Baptists. They insist that ETs are just demonic and that people are idiots to believe anything that isn't in the bible I don't know if they speak for all fundamentalist type protestant churches, but that's what they strongly believe. (ET is in the bible - the nephalim - but they dont' see them as ET).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join