It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I the only one becoming desensitized?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Here's a wrench for you! I have spent time a little time reading about HAARP and am wondering if I am the only who thinks that it is completely feasible that there may be some testing being performed?
Like I said, just tossing in my 2 cents and thinking maybe it isn't so unfathomable. Would love to hear some feedback...

[edit on 14-5-2008 by srick2000]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I have to agree with those of you who have, like myself, stopped tuning in to the daily news. It gets to the point that they could just do it once a week and keep looping it, because it is always the same:

"Death Destruction Mayhem rocks the World; People suffered, dogs died, children wept, rescuers stood powerless."
"50% chance of rain and sunshine from sunrise to set; 50% chance of clear and cloudy skies from dusk to sunrise."
"Someone got richer, while someone got poorer; the homeless population is still there; drugs rule every corner of suburbia."
"Tune in for more (of the same) at the top, bottom, and quarter of every hour."

Pretty soon it all becomes bla bla dead, bla bla lies, bla bla spend. It is media brainwashing slowly over a very long time. That numbing feeling you get when you are exposed to this is the effect. That knot in the pit of your stomack is a nasty side effect that will soon pass, with the cure being daily doses of tuning in.

Me? I prefer to pick and choose the news that I let in. I have several websites (such as this one) that lay the raw information out there. If you are not interested...pass. If you are, read. Simple.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The polite term for your state is that you have become inured.

that is, your mind and ears input various disasters so much it has become "habitual" ... but you do know that 'Life' goes on.

you have achieved the disconnect/complacency called 'Inure'
Congrats !

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
not only that but there have been above normal amount of earthquakes so far this year, ohhhhhh im paying attention all right

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by srick2000
Here's a wrench for you! I have spent time a little time reading about HAARP and am wondering if I am the only who thinks that it is completely feasible that there may be some testing being performed?
Like I said, just tossing in my 2 cents and thinking maybe it isn't so unfathomable. Would love to hear some feedback...

[edit on 14-5-2008 by srick2000]

Ah, I tried to introduce a similiar topic in another thread, but no one seems interested.

I find it odd that the only reference to scalar weapons I can find here is from 2004... I must be out of it or missing something...

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
This thread is more important than the flag-count shows.

The medias bombardment of negative-news not only causes a negative and fearful outlook on life but also does numb the mind to the actual suffering happening. We sit there, dissociated from the event...

"Hey look. Bunch of people being murdered on TV. Do we still have coke in the fridge by the way?"

Important yes.... I have a lot of questions... I have some soul-searching to do (metaphorically speaking, I'm an atheist).
This concept of mass desensitisation is something we need to start acknowledging and seriously start thinking about beyond the odd mention as part of some or other agenda.
I'm not saying that it's not part of an agenda, but we should start looking at ourselves and try to make our own individual decisions about how we want to be in this regard. We each need to take control of our own level of sensitivity based on our own honest beliefs about this.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
What can you do? There's no way anyone can deeply feel for the loss of hundreds of thousands of people, and if they say they do, they're liars. These deaths are abstract. Just numbers. What are you going to do? Weep a tear for every person who dies on the planet? Or every person suffering and dying with a disease? You'll be dehydrated in a day.

Of course it's desensitization. It's how we get through life. If we really sat down and thought about what a horror this existence is, we'd beg for death.

As it is, we ignore the misery as much as possible, keep going to work, keep watching TV. Life will be over soon enough.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by srick2000

There are several threads about HAARP, ELF weapons, etc - several in the past week or so since the incidents in Myaanmar and China. I just think the topic is way over many people's heads. It's a bit freaky-deeky. Here's one wih some mind blowing links:

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

and another that discusses information warfare in general:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 14/5/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
To the OP, I think its quite clear that people are becoming desensitized to death. I mean we see it every day in the media; we hear about it every day through interactions with others and it almost has begun to seem like a normal thing. There is a great song that discusses the very topic of people becoming desensitized to death due to the media. Check it out.

posted on May, 15 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Nice posts guys.

I think what happens is that the daily onslaught of horror produces a state of utter overwhelm.

Thats when one just shuts off the emotions in order to be able to cope in daily life.

The appropriate reaction to a child being slaughtered is horror. But then society tells us we are supposed to be "happy" and prescribes pills and therapies for us to keep smiling.

Also, we know that in order to make any difference whatsoever, we have to stay somewhat level-headed. It wont help to walk around in shock all day.

So, how to handle this paradox

I dont have the answer to that, but until then its wise to avoid over-exposure to it. Being aware of it, but not "getting off on it".

How do you deal with it Karlhungis?

posted on May, 17 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I just surfed over here from a news site where I read some of the latest headlines. Right before I left there I was thinking about how numb I felt reading these tragedies. Then I come here and right off find this thread. Gotta love that.

Count me among the overwhelmed. I'm not sure I'm desensitized, though I'm probably just fooling myself.

I know I hit a marked depression watching the Katrina events unfold. After that I stopped watching the news. I had to. I could not function any longer with the news on. Now if I ever do have it on, the bombardment of the tickers and logos and graphics is overwhelming and the endless debate and discussion drives me mad.

I do know that the times something has broken through the numbness is when there is a personal element to it. This happened just the other day. I was feeling very much stuck in my thoughts, or trapped in my head, trying to get myself to fathom the number of people dead in Myanmar (I still can't grasp it). I went to get the mail and there was a letter from a child we are helping. He wrote "thank you for loving me" in his letter. That broke through whatever desensitized shell I'd formed. I remembered there are beautiful things happening in this world that I can take part in. Since that day, I've been trying to keep my eyes open to those things. I try to unplug. See what's going on in the world right outside my door. Look people in the eye. Do things for others instead of just getting through the day and focusing on myself. It's starting to make a difference, I think. I hope.

For me, at least, it's the only way I can fight back. This is my life. I don't want to waste it being a zombie.

posted on May, 19 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
It does seem that Americans are suffering from "disaster fatigue,] but what some call "donor fatigue" is probably fueled (no pun intended) by increased prices due to higher fuel costs across the board and the credit crunch.

The numbers are almost too large to fathom, so many Americans stop trying. As bodies pile up in disaster after global disaster, even the most sympathetic souls can turn away.

Charities know this as "donor fatigue," but it might be more accurately described as disaster fatigue — the sense that these events are never-ending, uncontrollable and overwhelming. Experts say it is one reason Americans have contributed relatively little so far to victims of the Myanmar cyclone and China's earthquake.

Ironically, the more bad news there is, the less likely people may be to give.

ap.google.com...

Americans are some of the most giving people in the world and in 2006 gave almost three billion dollars to charity, as indicated by this June 25, 2007, article in USAToday.

Americans gave nearly $300 billion to charitable causes last year, setting a record and besting the 2005 total that had been boosted by a surge in aid to victims of hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma and the Asian tsunami.
Donors contributed an estimated $295.02 billion in 2006, a 1% increase when adjusted for inflation, up from $283.05 billion in 2005. Excluding donations for disaster relief, the total rose 3.2%, inflation-adjusted, according to an annual report released Monday by the Giving USA Foundation at Indiana University's Center on Philanthropy.

Giving historically tracks the health of the overall economy, with the rise amounting to about one-third the rise in the stock market, according to Giving USA. Last year was right on target, with a 3.2% rise as stocks rose more than 10% on an inflation-adjusted basis.

www.usatoday.com...

[edit on 2008/5/19 by GradyPhilpott]

<< 1  2   >>

join