It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Was Fired Today, For My Bumperstickers!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Sounds to me like you have a perfect case of wrongful termination.
Which means get the right lawyer you need not work again.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Wow, intense thread.

Thanks, for the courage to post it.

I would say, if you had that bumpersticker, I would send
my kids to your school.

Why?

Cause I'm sick of elite protected, cop pals who use their positions
of trust to abuse kids.

Please, bring more attention to the subject.

And screw the daycare!.

You weren't meant to be there,

only to bring light to the subject.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
To people saying free speech and trying to make someone see from a different perspective you have to see from a different perspective yourself. Not everyone will see the bumper sticker and have a long in-depth think about the world around, neither were they promted to, everyone is different and some have more inquiring minds than others. Cant you see how someone picking up their kids may find it weird, disturbing while others hilarious and you free speechers talk about making people see a different perspective.

In my opinion having bumper stickers referencing peadofilia while working at a daycare centre is not a wise move. You should just deal with the consequences, if somethings going wrong its not right.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by cutbothways
I would say, if you had that bumpersticker, I would send
my kids to your school.

Why?

Cause I'm sick of elite protected, cop pals who use their positions
of trust to abuse kids.

Please, bring more attention to the subject.

Since I seemed to miss the [ sarcasm] tag, would you send you kids to school if one of the workers had say a "I Heart NAMBLA" sticker? This really is not about free speech nor ones political background and more about (regardless of intent) yelling the equivlent of fire in a crowded movie theatre.

As a parent you look out for your kids as best you can period.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
If any percentage of the parents comming to that daycare center where Republican, I would imagine you could and would loose that business. You don't allow anyone to possiby embarass or enrage your clientel. That possibility got you fired. Nothing else and it makes it legal.

Zindo

[edit on 5/12/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Was the place you work at a public institution?

I'll be honest with you, I had a look at the pictures of your bumper stickers and found them a bit "tasteless". I have no doubt that if I had been running a private business at which you worked, I would have fired you too.

As Fred said, "pedophile" jokes aren't a laughing matter, especially so if you work at a nursery.

With all respect due, I agree with your employers' decision.

Might I humbly suggest removing those stickers (all of them). Maybe its just me being a stuck up Brit but I find them terribly unprofessional.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I simply refuse to believe my only protection is being politically correct.

Pedophilia, happens to be rampant in daycares.

Bringing it out into the open, exposes those hiding it.

It's kind of like saying, I have a big dog, so I'm safe.

Your only safe, if it's meant to be.

Stop relying on man to protect you for
every little booboo.

Life is tough. Let's be tough, and expose
those with the soft underbelly.

We all know who they are.

Pedophilia is disgusting.

Does that mean we should
hide the facts?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
It's at-will employment...that can fire you for any reason at any time as long as the reason isn't your ethnicity, sex, religion, etc. That is especially true while you're in your probationary period.

It makes me sick that you are considering looking for a lawyer to go after these people. You only worked there for a few hours! Get another job, move on, and learn your lessons for next time. Ugh. You know what would happen if this ever got to court? The judge would ask your employer why you were fired, and they answer could be something as simple as, "She wasn't working out. Personality conflict." That would be it, case closed, and then you would probably be countersued for the daycare's legal expenses.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
With all respect due, I agree with your employers' decision.

Might I humbly suggest removing those stickers (all of them). Maybe its just me being a stuck up Brit but I find them terribly unprofessional.

I agree with the poster above, All it really takes is a bit of common sense, I'm suprised the OP doesnt get that?

[edit on 12-5-2008 by Dar Kuma]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Inceptor

A while ago, I would have agreed wholeheartedly.

BUT, what do we have as a weapon anymore?

The law. We have a law, that say one can express
their opinion, without reprimand, as long as physical
injury is not concurred.

So, where do we draw the line.

My feeling.

The daycare had something to hide.

Is it a sticker I would like to see?

Not really. It's a bit tactless, for my taste.

Am I going to go around judging someone
for putting a sticker that says "I'm going
to flick a booger on your windshield if you
follow to closely?"

No, I can't stand tailgaters.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
awesome sticker, horrible judgment.

That being said, there aren't many places you will find a job that at least someone in management isn't a republican... so while it may not be ethical, or even legal to fire you over such a thing, don't be surprised.

p.s. for the record, bumper stickers are for certain types of people, like the kind that like to play their music loud, just so everyone else knows what they are listening to. (take with a grain of salt and a smile, I realize the fallacy inherent in all generalizations).

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

sorry , I love you, but you are wrong. You have a right to free speech, but others have a right not to be associated with it. Maybe your new manager didn't read all the stickers, but I bet the woman who pays to have her children there read every one of them. She is the consumer my dear, and you are the product. Like it or not, you offended the consumer, and the "store keeper" decided not to carry the product.
Trust me, it's not because you hate half of americans.
And not all of us are gay pedophiles. They have separate meetings, so I don't know their numbers.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
I'm sorry you got fired.
I do find your bumbersticker funny, if I read it at the mall, if I was driving behind you or something it would get a chuckle out of me, but if I saw it driving in to the daycare to drop off my kids I guaratee you I would pull my kids out immediately.
So yes, you are indeed hurting business.

It's a crazy world and the last thing you want to do is give parents a good reason to worry about dropping of their kids at any day care.

It's not a laughing matter when it comes to the safety of innocent kids, zero tolerance.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I seriously doubt if there is any legal case here. A business can fire you for just about any reason, especially during the first 30 to 90 days, which is usually a trial period. I think they should have asked you to remove the bumper sticker because it was going to offend and worry parents. If I ran a day care center I would not allow an employee to have a bumper stick on their car that said Gay Pedophile - even as a joke. Parents that bring their kids to a day care want to feel safe and reassured that the workers are professionals. I would never put a bumper sticker on my car that says Gay Old Pedophile, but maybe that's just me. I guess you will have to learn from this event. In grown up land you have to act and present yourself in a professional manner - It sucks - I know. A bunch of bumper stickers on a car screams immature kid that wants attention – again, maybe that’s just me but that is my honest opinion. My advice is to get rid of the stickers if you want get and keep a real job.

[edit on 12-5-2008 by zerotime]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Fred T hit it perfectly. I was about to post the same analogy.

You don't scream fire in a crowded theater just as you don't cry pedophile at a daycare.

The idea that it is a bumper sticker is irrelevant. It is the perception conveyed that is offensive. And as others have pointed out: Your rights end where mine begin. And mine give me the right to not be associated with the perception conveyed. Joke or not, it is offensive in the environment you were employed into.

As far as using that particular sticker to over a rust spot, it wasn't such a wise choice when there were soooo, soooo many less offending options.

You'd have had just as much luck checking your bags at the airport with a sticker that read: "Handle with Care, bomb inside."

Good luck.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Sorry to hear you were fired. I was let go, unjustly, from a job as well because of my husband's position. My husband worked for a competitor (had for 6 years). Then he decided to start his business. My husband even gave my employer some work. A year after my husband started his business, I was let go. My employer knew all of the above as well. I had been straight forward with him. I think my boss was sour grapes because my husband didn't come and work for him.

Anyway, back on topic. Your bumper stickers were not "PC." It wasn't PC of the daycare to let you go either. They should have pulled you aside, explained why the bumper stickers were offensive and given you the opportunity to remove them or not, or have arranged for different transportation.

Unfortunately, none of that happened. You could probably fight it in court. It would probably take so long in litigation it wouldn't be worth it. Good luck with job hunting.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by zerotime

Yes, precisely.

It is a matter of professionalism . In business professionalism is often the make or break factor.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
tater..You remind me of a good friend of mine who has anti-Bush stickers on her car. I told her not to be surprised if her car gets vandalized.
The coolest thing one can do is to stay under the radar. Never
advertise your beliefs. It's an old warrior thing...you are giving away power
when you tell others your beliefs and voice your opinions. The less people know about you, the less they can manipulate or use you. Or fire you.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
You see how ignorant the people you are dealt with are. There are many more of them out there. You fight that and you will be publicly stigmatized.
You will bring the ingnorance of the world down upon your own head.
Learn from your mistake. learn to walk away. Learn when to fold your cards. They did what they felt they had to do. Such is the world of the Taboo. You are not allowed to even refer to the taboo. The consequences are dire and immediate.

It's not making a statement worthy of self destruction, wouldn't you agree?

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Thank you for every single response. Believe me, I have a lot more depth to my thinking on this issue, and will update this thread if I get call backs, just to let everyone see how it plays out. I am curious as to what our fairness committee has to say, at least, because Louisville does have a fairness ordinance in our city. (gay rights).

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join