It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Was Fired Today, For My Bumperstickers!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I consider this post to be about a conspiracy, against me, and my politics. Also, I simply cannot believe what happened to me is legal, or could happen in the USA. Yes, I was Fired from my brand new job today, because of my bumperstickers, this is not a joke.

I was hired Thursday at the daycare, and began this morning, Monday, at 8 a.m. Got there early, filled out paperwork, was given the passcode to the doors, and was told who I would be training with. "Jenny" and I worked in the toddler room, and after we got them down for nap, I went to lunch, then, Jenny went to lunch. When Jenny came back, this fat redheaded girl peeks her head in my door, and crooks her finger, and said, come here.

So, I do, and Redhead says,

"The staff are all gossiping about your bumperstickers."

"So, I am , "Why?"

Redhead asks me what "Goop" means.

I said, "Its GOP, which stands for Grand Old Party". She had no idea what I meant. So, as the bumpersticker says, GOP=Gay Old Pedophiles, I explained the political joke to her.

Redhead says, Well it says gay pediphile, and I have my son in this daycare..."

To which I repeated, well, its just a joke.

I thought that was the end of it, until Redhead shouts at a coworker across the hall for me to explain it to her.

Finally, I go sit back by the cribs, as it is still naptime.

No sooner than had I sat down, then here comes my boss, the owner of the daycare, who had parked next to my car Thursday before she interviewed me, and from the door, she says,

"I wont be able to use you." To which I say, gobsmacked, "WHY??"

"Because of your bumperstickers."

I was told to leave immediately, and a full days pay will be sent to me.

I am in shock that I was fired for my bumperstickers. I want to discuss the conspiracy against me as a liberal, I reckon. The GOP bumpersticker is on the top of my trunk hiding a rust spot. I was parked in the middle of three rows of employee parking BEHIND the building, and the only way the GOP bumper sticker could be seen is by someone standing over my trunk. The employee parking lot is where people smoke(I dont).

Like I said, I am in shock and wondering if this has happened to anyone else before, and is it not a violation of my civil rights? What does bumperstickers have to do with my job performance? Was I targeted because I dared to flaunt my political ideals from my bumper?

I told the owner I could remove them, or cover them up,and I could drive my sisters car, but she said she was sorry, I had to go.

I will answer any questions anyone has, and here is the link to my pictures of my car and the bumperstickers. The pics are too big to post here, I think. Thanks for anyone who reads my story, I cannot believe I was fired for my political bumperstickers.

Only in America.

s85.photobucket.com...

[edit on 12-5-2008 by hotbakedtater]

[edit on 12-5-2008 by hotbakedtater]

+97 more 
posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Few things you do not really want to do and one is make jokes about pedofiles in a day care center eh? That goes the same for a pediatric hospital as well. I have had a nurse kiced off the transport team because he made a pedofile joke at a refering hospital.

Its simply not done

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I think this thread belongs in BTS.

The link to the photos is private.

I'm surprised you got fired over the bumpersticker but I am not surprised at the reaction. It is a bit offensive.

[edit on 12-5-2008 by Tuebor]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I would call "Morgan & Morgan", and see if they'll take the case (they will send a investigater to your home for a quick interview and tell you what to expect. Use the law.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Here are the links to my bumperstickers, I am not sure I posted the link right.
i85.photobucket.com...
i85.photobucket.com...
i85.photobucket.com...
i85.photobucket.com...

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Yup, you were targeted, and yup, it was because of your bumper stickers. If you decide to sue, go ahead, they'll just lie like the corporate idiots you were making fun of with your bumper stickers. I laughed when I saw the one in the middle with Bush, Cheney, and I think it was Rumsfeld.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I wanted to add. I have a call in to an attorney, and I am going to our fairness committee to talk with them tomorrow. I am also talking about this with our local alternative newspaper, who are interested in this because of the time of year(voting).

I called the local democrats, and they are supposed to get back with me after the talk to Frankfort.

I really dont know what else to do right now, and I am still feeling like this is a bad dream. I needed that job, and I liked the place. This just is not right.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
This is probably not a reason to be fired unless it was mentioned in the employee rules or whatever it is called there.

But then, may be these are not the type of people you need to be around. I realized you most likely need the job.

I will say you are the type of person those people need to be around. Could be they might develop into a more reasonable version of a person, less closed minded or biased.

Sorry the hear about your situation.

Edit: Did they give you the option to remove the sticker?

[edit on 5/12/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

By the way, this is a conspiracy forum, so be careful what you say or type, it may be used against you.

+13 more 
posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Ditto to what Fred said. BIGTIME!

Additionally, most employers are "at will" and many states support "at will" practices. In other words, you can be fired for whatever reason they want, usually within a certain time-frame, as long as your civil rights aren't violated. However, most employers opt for a hiring clause in which they have the right to fire you for any behavior that they feel reflects poorly on their business.

Now you may have case for free speech, but it would be easily countered by the defendant's attorneys making the point Fred made above. Any organization dealing with kids doesn't want that topic even mentioned unless it pertains to reporting or back ground checks.

IMO, though I sympathize with the ideas your bumper sticker expressed, I would never hire someone who "put it all out there" like that, as it may indicate a lack of professionalism, judgment or decorum. It would be prudent for me to assume that I could expect this kind of inflammatory commentary or expression regarding on-the-job issues or dealing with clients.

Just the facts as most employers might see them.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Why is freedom of speech such a big problem. There are many problems dealing with freedom of speech. Why can't we just follow the constitution as it was written. What has this country come to. If you cant follow the laws then why are you living here. There are rules for a reason and violating them is wrong.

+52 more 
posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Well, if it were my day care, and you had something on your car that could hurt my business, then I would also fire you. Joke or not, the sticker will definately offend more than it entertains. As far as you thinking it is not right, I think it is right. While you have the right to your free speech, the daycare as a right to not be affiliated with it. So you are free to go and show off your sticker elsewhere.

+3 more 
link   
I'm actually kind of surprised you didn't see that one coming. I agree that you are within your right to sport any ideas you wish on your own bumper but come on, did it never occur to you that some uptight administrator at the daycare would take issue?

I've removed several bumperstickers over the years because I was worried that they might have been misinterpreted by a new employer.

As far as your case goes, it will be very interesting to see how the employment laws apply.

link   

Was I targeted because I dared to flaunt my political ideals from my bumper?

Maybe, probably but you are most likely to be on a probationary period of 3-6 months and they could say anything as to why you were fired. This is just my opinion but I think legal action will only lead you to a lawyers bill and little else.

+21 more 
posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Actually, what were you thinking when you parked your car at a day care center with that sticker on it?

Day care centers and jokes about pedophilia don't mix.

Chalk it up as a lesson learned and go find a job some place else.

+8 more 
link   
Employment is by and large 'At Will" you can be fired for just about anything except gender, age, or race, unless you have a contract, collective bargaining agreement (and even then its protections as limited)

I doubt it was the political intenet of your bumper stickers but as I mentioned before rather the reference to Pedofelia on it.

As a parent with a child in preschool, if I saw that bumpersticker on a staff members car I would be very concerned.

Like I said, you can point to free speech all you want, but if you want to make pedofile jokes at your place of employment that ALSO happens to be a day care center you should not be surprised at the results. If the the administration did not do it, you can bet the parents assosiation will raise cain

link   
Welcome to PC America! Where it is sinful to make people think about the world around them. Where it is wrong to challenge people to think differently. Where is atrocious to state opinions that might offend someone three states away. Where hard work and diligence mean nothing if you have your own opinion. Keep your head up, even though some of the bumper stickers might seem offensive it should be in your right to have them. If you were wearing a shirt to the day care that had something overly provocative I could understand it, but your car... that's pathetic, and it really is just an indication how spineless, and whiny the average parent has become. Even if you can't sue, and even though I'm sure you need a job, don't be forced into becoming part of the status quo. Anyhow good luck to you....

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by whitesatan

Because too many people on the wrong side of the fence have a louder voice than the ones that are really getting offended, to make it look like the one with the louder voice is offended.

I really think the OP should stand her ground, she probably won't get the job back, heck I wouldn't want to work there anyway, but it would do good for the little town (assuming little) or community she lives in to stir up the pot a bit.

Maybe someone should come up with a flier that can be printed out and handed to those loud wrong sided fence people... maybe with a 1 Finger Salute on the bottom telling them where to stick their jobs too.

Daycare's and Old Folks Homes --- NO Thank You! (I will not apply)

[edit on 12-5-2008 by WalkOn]

+55 more 
posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
So let me get this straight...

You began employment at a children's day care center and had the word "pedophile" (context is irrelevant) on the back of your car... And you're not only puzzled over your dismissal but are considering civil litigation?

There's a conspiracy alright... But I think it involves the education system...

Common Sense Monkeys, not just for having it anymore...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join