It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100,000 DEAD in Myanmar!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Well I dont think most people would agree helping out during a time of Cataclysm is quite the same.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Link to article.

Almost immediately, the Myanmar Red Cross began distributing thousands of family kits, containing clothing, blankets, cookware and hygiene supplies, and safe drinking water to schools and pagodas serving as emergency shelters. The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies has released an initial $189,000 to support the Red Cross relief effort in Myanmar......

..... You can help those affected by countless crises around the world each year by making a financial gift to the American Red Cross International Response Fund, which will provide immediate relief and long-term support through supplies, technical assistance and other support to help those in need. Call 1-800-RED CROSS or 1-800-257-7575 (Spanish). Contributions to the International Response Fund may be sent to your local American Red Cross chapter or to the American Red Cross International Response Fund, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, DC 20013. Internet users can make a secure online contribution by visiting www.redcross.org. The American Red Cross honors donor intent. If you wish to designate your donation to a specific disaster please do so at the time of your donation.

There are ways to help. Helping our fellow human beings is not a government responsibility; it is a personal responsibility.

When I try and imagine how it must be for them and the huge number involved, my little problems seem insignificant in comparison.

If there are places that would justify the World stepping in to clean up a mess Myanmar is one of them. Blocking aid to it's citizens is beyond reprehensible. Perhaps allowing it to continue, is even more reprehensible.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

Originally posted by Rockpuck
The US has offered a mere 3.4 million dollars and naval ships. Also 6 hellios with supplies to reach the Delta region.

You make it sound like a bad thing. How much have you offered the folks there?

Who says the US has to offer anything in the first place?

Oh, yes, you are absolutely RIGHT!

I mean, we spend billions on a war, we spend billions so fat ass American's can get an extra $600 to spend at Macdonald's and Wal Mart, God forbid we use money to do something good for the world.

3 million in that region is a lot of money, and I recognize that we will spend many times that with our naval units being there. However, when a country suffers a tragedy and looses ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND PEOPLE! .. Our pledge should be 10 times what we currently have.

Anyone who has a problem with America acting in a charitable way has, imo, lost the spirit and ideas that made this nation what it is.

EDIT: Because the storm hit the DELTA region where the majority of their RICE CROPS are grown, most of the entire crop is lost.

This means their staple is wiped out.

This means they have to try and find rice when all their neighbors refuse to export it.

That means 3.4 million may feed them with rice for 2 months at best.

[edit on 5/7/2008 by Rockpuck]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I don't watch television, i get my news via the internet. They are claiming 100,000 people dead but the cnn video of Myanmar showed no bodies, no mourning in the streets or searching for lost relatives. I believe people were killed and many are missing but the actions of the survivors and the media do not justify those numbers.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
This is not the first time for such a disaster to occur, nor will it be the last.
Part of the problem is the denssity of the populatiothis whole area has too many people, and the governments there are probably relieved that they won't have to worry about trying to get food to them during the predicted food shortages.

There have been millions died in disasters in that area in recent times, but it has not made a noticeable dent in their overpopulation problem.
See here:
millions dead

There is a big problem in our own hemisphere with that volcano down south. Why are you all not in a big tizzy over that one? The dead in the formerly called Burma are not suffering any more.
The folks down south are.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
There are other threads going about the volcanoes erupting, this thread is about 100,000 People dying! Our planet, Our People...

Rockpuck do you suppose there could be some connection to the rash of recent 'natural' disasters and the precieved food shortages they were talking about?

[edit on 7-5-2008 by antar]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

See, sometimes its good to intervene, like when a Government is killing its own people denying it help.

And you dont even have to make up WMDs!

In a week, you'd prolly even have other countries backing you up.

Humanitary Aid =/= Middle east Oil expedition, mkay?

In other news:

The reason you dont see as many images or as graphic as in the Thailand events is that very few reporters are being let in. And the affected regions are basically a big swamp, so what little infraestructure existed before the storm hit, is prolly gone, or mostly.

Might take a week until we see more graphic images. Hopefully the pressure will force the Military to allow the help get in by then, or that death toll is gonna go up real fast.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

It's the cause Antar, the direct cause.

A drought across the world, especially in Australia finally got to the point where reserves could not be replenished.. the result was countries with large populations like Indonesia who cannot produce enough to feed her people, bought massive stores of the staple crop to secure their own people. In turn, supplies in the exporters dropped dramatically without enough to replenish the stores. The result of that is the largest exporters with the largest populations stopped all exports of Rice and Grains. The result of that is supply and demand leading to soaring prices. Results in riots in the streets and people starving across the world.

The Cyclone struck Myanmar's rice production region where over 65% of the crop is grown. Most is feared lost, and they are currently organizing "rescue" efforts to save whats left of the harvest. I doubt it will survive sitting in standing salt water.

So now Myanmar which once could feed her own people, lost it's crop in a time when food prices are soaring with no end in sight..

Not only did the country loose 20-100k people, the survivors now homeless, but they will also suffer financially trying to feed themselves.

And to the guy who claims because no one is mourning no one died..

The largest portion of the deaths will occur from dehydration and starvation as rescue crews cannot reach them. Neither can the news crews
.. also, if you look at a "before and after" picture, you can clearly see hundreds of villages where engulfed in an 11.5 foot storm surge that would have first drowned the entire population, then pulled them out to sea.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Call me crazy but i dont think that it was a natural disaster. The technology to alter weather has been out for ages. keep that in mind.

And the depopulation agenda? well...connect the dots yourself

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Herbal Oli

.....Any proof that a government out there can create a low pressure system strong enough to drown a country?

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
That's a 12 foot high wall of water, with a 12 mile crest (the width of the eye), 12 miles thick, coming onshore. With the population figures noted above, the death toll could well go a lot higher before its all said and done.

And that 12 foot high wall of water met a coastline that was about at sea level, or at least that is what the news reports were saying. Barring a mass exacuation, those folks never had a chance.

Home to an estimated 7 million of Burma's 53 million people, the delta, on the tip of the country's western coast, is accessible only by boat at the best of times. Nearly 2 million of the densely packed area's inhabitants live on land that is less than 16ft (5 metres) above sea level, leaving them extremely vulnerable.

*snip*

Meteorologists said Nargis, which included winds of up to 120mph, whipped up the seas into a 13ft surge that washed for miles over the flat, rice-growing belt. Most of the victims were said to have been killed by one monstrous wave.

The flimsy bamboo houses of the coastal villages stood little chance. The junta did issue warnings, but they were too little, too late, and few would have been prepared for a cyclone of such ferocity. Witnesses have told of at least 16 villages that have completely disappeared when the floodwaters receded, leaving behind a layer of mud and sludge.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
to rockpuck, you can't count them as dead until they are dead. Everyone is dying one breath at a time but you cannot count us as dead either. I made it clear that i knew people had died, i was questioning the numbers. It went from 22,000 dead and 41,000 missing (63,000) by the Myanmar government to over 100,000 dead by U.S. estimates based on information from unspecified sources. The media feeds on the most lurid footage it can find, they are offering to buy footage, it does not appear that there is much available. i think more information is needed before the world pours funds into a military regime that denies human rights.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

No sir, but i know a few things and quite frankly i dont trust any government...you probably know why.

But yeah climate changing techology is old hat and with what ive read and heard the technology they are keeping from us is extremely deep so i wouldnt rule it out bud

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

The US has offered a mere 3.4 million dollars and naval ships. Also 6 hellios with supplies to reach the Delta region.

A mere? Really? How much do you feel is enough? That is a lot of money and supplies for that region. The US doesnt have to give anything.

Plus, I thought everyone wanted the US to butt out of other countries business. Eh.

Well considering the AMOUNT OF MONEY SPENT ON WAR! Hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars, almost a trillion on WAR. Then yes it is a little!

If The USA would spend billions to help a country like burma after this disaster, people would start to respect the USA! But people don't respect the usa, because they do not spend billions to help people, but instead spend it all on war, death, weapons, chaos etc.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by debris765nju

ok.. I believe I understand you.. you simply think 100k is over inflated?

I think it may be as well.. however, the Junta is who put out 10k dead, or feared lost. The UN and the US both through satellite images have noted the damage was far worse then the Junta is telling people. The Junta then began baring reporters and aid workers. then they more then double the number of feared dead. To 22 thousand. The Us diplomat, from seeing evidence presented by the State department, the UN, and the Red Cross notes that the death toll is many times worse then 22k.

Entire towns washed away, taken by the storm surge then undertow. And no aid is getting in. They are literally waiting at the embassies and air bases.

5 million people in bamboo huts hit by a massive wall of water and are no getting no aid.

100k is not improbable.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

A mere? Really? How much do you feel is enough? That is a lot of money and supplies for that region. The US doesnt have to give anything.

Plus, I thought everyone wanted the US to butt out of other countries business. Eh.

Well considering the AMOUNT OF MONEY SPENT ON WAR! Hundreds of BILLIONS of dollars, almost a trillion on WAR. Then yes it is a little!

If The USA would spend billions to help a country like burma after this disaster, people would start to respect the USA! But people don't respect the usa, because they do not spend billions to help people, but instead spend it all on war, death, weapons, chaos etc.

[edit on 7-5-2008 by _Phoenix_]

couldnt have said better myself

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I'm kind of scratching my head over one aspect of this story, as it's been presented in the western media:

Thailand had planes full of aid on the ground on Tuesday morning. India and China very shortly thereafter. Numerous representatives from ASEAN have been involved in the aid effort. Cash and aid are clearly getting in. I think it was late Sunday when I saw the story that the Myanmar government is asking for help, not only from ASEAN but the UN. Most reports I've seen on this since the beginning quote representatives of NGOs who are on the ground in Myanmar. Clearly people are there, and have been for some time.

So why does it seem, reading CNN, that the Myanmar government is blocking aid efforts? It really seems to me that western nations are determined to play politics with this.

posted on May, 7 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
One of the articles I was reading on this mentioned that there were bays and rivers full of floating bodies...
Really a terrible disaster to hit these people. Shame on their government for not giving them any warning and for delaying the international relief efforts...

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Sheesh, Israel receives more than that on a daily basis! For what? Oppression? Funding Zionism? That's chump change.

Oh yeah, you can bet the powers that be will be exploiting this tragedy one way or another.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by squiz]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Something no one is touching on is the fact that on May, 10 Myanmar is set to vote on a referendum for a new Constitution.

The United States, Canada, Australia, and the UK all refuse to recognize Myanmar, as stated earlier in the thread. These Western nations promote the Oxford educated Aung San Suu Kyi (who is imprisoned).

Furthermore the current ruling military Junta violently put down a pro-democracy demonstration on the very peculiar day of 8/08/88. I realize that doesn't have anything to do with the cyclone, but I figured you numerology people might like to kick around those numbers.

Human Rights Watch has called the Myanmar Constitutional Referendum a "sham", namely because it would give the government (that the US doesn't support) more power.

For those of you that believe in weather manipulation here's a glaring correlation between an action occuring that the US doesn't support being affected by a weather event. A major cyclone slammed into the Capitol city of this nation just days before a Constitutional Referendum. (I personally don't, but this is interesting to me none-the-less.)

On top of all that, the House voted on the sixth, AFTER the Cyclone hit, for a resolution condemning the Burmese (Myanmar) government!

Voice of America
Approved by 413 to 1 vote, the resolution calls the referendum Burma's military rulers plan to hold on a new constitution a one-sided, undemocratic and illegitimate legalization of military rule.

It urges Burma's military to unconditionally release from house arrest, and begin a meaningful tri-partite dialogue with, opposition figure Aung San Suu Kyi, and restore human rights and civil freedoms for the people of Burma.

Lawmakers also demand the immediate release of all Buddhist monks detained or imprisoned in nationwide demonstrations last September, along with other political prisoners.

In statements, lawmakers referred to the loss of life and devastation caused in Burma by the recent cyclone, with reports of tens of thousands killed and missing.

At the same time, they noted the Burmese military's decision to proceed with a constitutional referendum, except in areas hardest hit by the storm.

The timing of this cyclone is very, very beneficial to the US Government, isn't it?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join