It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100,000 DEAD in Myanmar!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I researched the issues regarding aid to Myanmar in this post.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Does anyone know if there are any aid programs being enacted by the UN or other international groups? Things are getting pretty damned bad over there. Might be about time to start a donation process...I googled it...Tried a few different terms..Did quite get what I was looking for.

Anyone know? Or is it still too soon?

Edit to add

Never mind...Seems as though aid to that country is being cut off by their own government...This is so stupid. People are suffering.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by projectvxn]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
Does anyone know if there are any aid programs being enacted by the UN or other international groups?

Never mind...Seems as though aid to that country is being cut off by their own government...This is so stupid. People are suffering.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by projectvxn]

The only one I know that has gained a visa is world vision,
ABC australia report May 5 WORLD VISION SENDS AID TO CYCLONE RAVAGED BURMA

There's a report that Burma has blocked any aid that was from the US
ABC australia report May 9 BURMA BLOCKS US AID

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
If Burma does not get its head out of its rear, we will end up delivering aid like it or not. China needs its head out of its rear too. They think we should not be able to violate a nations borders if 100,000s of lives are at stake, even if that nation isn't helping its people.

We have four ships already enroute carrying, one Marine Expeditionary Strike Group with 1,800 Marines.
www.alertnet.org...

The Kitty Kawk and Nimitz supercarriers with their strike groups may soon be on their way there. C-17s and C-130s will be prepping in Thailand for aid drops.

I hope the Junta there is not stupid enough to militarily target humanitarian aid.

[edit on 8/5/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Today a few of my co-worker's were in a heated debate as to how "natural" this whole cyclone actually was, the debate was over gov. weather pattern manipulation and how the entire disaster would impact rice exports? Just wanted to post these and get a few opinions.

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   

France has suggested invoking a U.N. "responsibility to protect" to deliver aid to Myanmar without government approval. But its bid to make the Security Council take a stand has been rebuffed by China, Vietnam, South Africa and Russia. Indonesia and China spoke against politicising the issue. "There is already a readiness on the part of Myanmar to open itself to assistance," Indonesian Ambassador Marty Natalegawa told reporters. "The last thing we would want is to give a political spin to the technical realities and the situation on the ground." Sawers, the British envoy, suggested that Britain also had doubts about invoking the "responsibility to protect" idea. "That (concept) relates to acts of genocide, war crimes, crimes against humanity and so forth, rather than responses to natural disasters," Sawers told reporters. Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej failed to reach Myanmar's generals on Thursday due to communications problems after U.S. President George W. Bush asked him to intervene over the aid delays, Thailand's government spokesman said. "Some (aid) is getting through," World Vision Australia's chief executive officer Tim Costello told reporters in a conference call from Yangon. "But it's a trickle when it needs to be literally a flood."

Please excuse the seemingly excessive quote. It does validate my former post with the same idea. I had no idea that the UN had the ability to
invoke "Responsibility to Protect".
For the past 20 years I have always invisioned this happening by the Un even in America if the time came and enough political unrest was the cause.
I urge you to read the report as this is just a small portion of the full document.
Take a look at the countries that oppose this act. Brittian say's that millions are being affected. Millions...
hisz.rsoe.hu...
Go to Situation update.

[edit on 8-5-2008 by antar]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Reguardless of the political spin, this could be genocide. Pure and simple genocide. The conditions of their country when that many people are affected is dangerous for the spread of major disease in a very short period of time. The extended vision without proper steps taken now could be more than catastrophic devastation.

Why are we not hearing from WHO on this issue?

[edit on 8-5-2008 by antar]

posted on May, 8 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
And the US Fleet happened to have fully provisioned relief ships exercising in the area!

If they respond that well, where the hell were they for New Orleans?

Something fishy in that. Although we warned them 3 days in advance.
They just didn't bother to tell the people.

Their dead will pale in significance to the damage if they fall into a plague state from H5N1 and other disease. If the H5N1 gets hold of a dieing population, it could go global in human populations. It currently kills 100 percent in untreated populations, and 80 percent if you get antivirals in time.

The world wants to feed those people, because it could kill us all!

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I posted a link here about some strange official opposition to air drops of food www.state.gov... It seems like an the US and UN are attempting an humanitarian invasion by requesting to virtually melt in the country by injecting thousands of aid workers and who knows else. Your post is right on the nose.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by trig_grl

Hmm exactly what I was thinking today Trig. I wondered was it coincidence that America's Naval force showed up on the coast of Burma just a few days or even probably hours of the Cyclone?

When I question it even more, I ask, was the cyclone literally man-made?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by 24threever
reply to post by trig_grl

Hmm exactly what I was thinking today Trig. I wondered was it coincidence that America's Naval force showed up on the coast of Burma just a few days or even probably hours of the Cyclone?

It would have been odd if they didn't given the likelihood they would be needed to assist in any humanitarian aid mission.

Fortunately, the Americans are not like the Burmese Junta and hold a higher value on human life.

When I question it even more, I ask, was the cyclone literally man-made?

I honestly do not believe the Burmese Junta have the capability of controlling tropical cyclones

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Last I read on CNN the actual toll may be closer to 500,000. On par with the 04 tsunami.
Incredible tragedy.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Well, of course they have something to hide. There were riots in which many were killed and injured just a few months ago. The junta in power is in power against the will of the people. They are afraid of losing their power, and they would rather lose 500,000 people than lose their power.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
This situation is going from horrible to worse. Politics seems to be a double-edged sword. It made it possible for food to reach the boarder, yet prevents it from going to the places it's most needed. May there be compassion from the Myanmar authorities to get the aid where it needs to go. Turning on news, I was hoping to get more answers. What the governments are doing, charities, etc. but instead Clinton versus Obama gets center stage.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I just met one of my company's associate this afternoon. Apparently, he was there in Myanmar. He was stuck in the hotel during the storm, and the windows seems wanting to blow out. He said the cyclone was really strong, much more stronger than what he had experienced afew times in Hong Kong, which is classified as category 3 too. But he believes i was higher than a CAT 3 storm. He got stuck for two days before able to fly out to Bangkok. There were many collapsed houses, fallen trees, debris and dead animals along the road. But he had not seen any dead bodies.. plenty of injured and survivors out in the streets and open roads.

What I want to point out to everyone is that He knew that there is a cyclone coming, and was broadcast in advance by the Juntas. Everybody he met knew. Since it was a CAT 3, nobody gave a damn. But when I read western sourced news they were cliaming the juntas didn't tell their people. Why is this the case ?

We heard afew days ago that Laura Bush excliamed that they should regime change the juntas, and now lamenting why the Junta's didn't want US soldiers in for relief work, and 4 US ships are heading there. Do you really think the Juntas would really be stupid to allow US troops in ? Everyone knows that US are supporting the exile Burmese and Hmongs.. even tried a "saffron revolution" there, and pushed for UN intervention.

BTW, the juntas did not refuse UN assistance altogether, they only wants existing NGOs already inside Myanmar to co-ordinate the relief, and will except all donations. How many UN experts do you think you need to allevate 1 miliion souls... an Army of them. Many of the additional experts would likely be NED, Freedom House, MI-6 and Mossad type among them. After a few months.. viola.. another KOSOVO.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Now, here is a prime candidate for "regime change", not that I believe in such things. But I guess the "good guys" are tied up elsewhere. Seriously, what's to be done?

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
You really have to wonder why in the hell all the various governments that are being told "no" by the Myanmar government don't just throw up their hands say "Screw it, we tried!" and return home, bringing their food, medical, and financial aid with them. Beggars can't be choosers and, though it may sound heartless, those civillian deaths would lie on the shoulders of their government, not ours.

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
You really have to wonder why in the hell all the various governments that are being told "no" by the Myanmar government don't just throw up their hands say "Screw it, we tried!"

Then begs the following questions:

"How hard did we try?"
"How much did we really care?"
"Were we trying to help or just putting on a show for the world to make it look like we did?"

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God

Then begs the following questions:

"How hard did we try?"
"How much did we really care?"
"Were we trying to help or just putting on a show for the world to make it look like we did?"

OK, and here's my response to that. Remember, our government is still trying to get that aid and help to them, so these answers only represent my position on this issue.

1. How hard did we try?
Simple rule of thumb for helping someone... look them in the eye and clearly, concisely, and plainly ask "Would you like my help?" If the answer is kinda-sorta no, but not said with much ocnviction, re-ask the question one (1) time. If the original response was not just no, but "hell no!" or if the second offer of assistance is declined, set your feet moving in the opposite direction of the problem and don't look back. You tried, they refused, it has become no longer any concern of yours.

2. How much did you really care?
Cared enough to offer whatever help, aid, assistance, etc they were willing to accept which could be provided. Don't care enough to stand around arguing with someone you're trying to help out. Once the country in need starts laying down demands, ultimatums, and refusals, it's time to say sayonara.

3. Were we trying to help or just putting on a show for the world to make it look like we did?
I love the fact that where wars are concerned, our nation is criticized because "America doesn't even care what the world thinks! They're a bunch of selfish arrogant A-holes!" Then we try to do something good and suddenly it's "America doesn't really want to help, they only care that the rest of the world thinks they're helping!" Which is it, s4g?

You';re clearly a religious man, a Christian. Recall that Jesus instructed the apostles to carry his word and love to all villiages, but to only offer it one time...

and whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

Matthew 10:14

If the word of God is love, and love is found within helping those in need, then when those in need refuse the help, they refuse the love, and *tap*tap* kick the dust off those feet and truck back home.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by burdman30ott6]

posted on May, 9 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   

OK, and here's my response to that. Remember, our government is still trying to get that aid and help to them, so these answers only represent my position on this issue.

1. How hard did we try?
Simple rule of thumb for helping someone... look them in the eye and clearly, concisely, and plainly ask "Would you like my help?" If the answer is kinda-sorta no, but not said with much ocnviction, re-ask the question one (1) time. If the original response was not just no, but "hell no!" or if the second offer of assistance is declined, set your feet moving in the opposite direction of the problem and don't look back. You tried, they refused, it has become no longer any concern of yours.

2. How much did you really care?
Cared enough to offer whatever help, aid, assistance, etc they were willing to accept which could be provided. Don't care enough to stand around arguing with someone you're trying to help out. Once the country in need starts laying down demands, ultimatums, and refusals, it's time to say sayonara.

3. Were we trying to help or just putting on a show for the world to make it look like we did?
I love the fact that where wars are concerned, our nation is criticized because "America doesn't even care what the world thinks! They're a bunch of selfish arrogant A-holes!" Then we try to do something good and suddenly it's "America doesn't really want to help, they only care that the rest of the world thinks they're helping!" Which is it, s4g?

First, I'd like to say thanks for answering the question. To them I can certainly say "I can understand that perspective", though these are the kinds of questions others will raise when we give a response like "Well, we tried, let's go home". One thing I noticed when traveling overseas watching the news is the world looks to see what we do first. Why do you think that is? A lot of anger comes from us not making the best decision because that expectation is there that we always will. Personally I think the U.S. and many other countries do care a great deal about international relief especially in disasters. If you asked an American a hundred years ago to help another country experiencing disaster, I have high doubts that they'd say "Let's get over there and help now!". The reasons are many being from our own hardships of the time, lack of money, transportation and resources. I'm grateful that we have the ability these days to say "Let's get over there and help right now!". It is much improved. Regarding aid, I believe we have the right idea. Regarding war, I believe I'm unqualified to say. I do meet a lot of Americans who come across arrogant and selfish. There are some times I'm sure I'm seen that way too. Are we moreso than the rest of the world? Dunno, but don't think rudeness, arrogance or any other negative traits stop at the boarder. My questions weren't rhetorical, and again appreciate the answers.

You';re clearly a religious man, a Christian. Recall that Jesus instructed the apostles to carry his word and love to all villiages, but to only offer it one time...

and whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.

Matthew 10:14

The apostles had a big job, to spread the Word across the world. Surely that could not have been accomplished by staying in one spot their whole lives. I'm very glad you've brought up the Bible because it permissions me to do the same. I ask readers to ask, do we stomp away with self-righteous indignation? Or give it another go because we're to

"...'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" - from Matthew 22:39

If your neighbor was dying and said "leave me alone!" knowing full well you could help...would you?

If the word of God is love, and love is found within helping those in need, then when those in need refuse the help, they refuse the love, and *tap*tap* kick the dust off those feet and truck back home.

"Fine, die then, see if I care"?

Is that what love does? I thought when it comes to love...

"It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." - 1 Corinthians 13:7-8

May your teenage child never rebel against you nor have a family member with a severe problem like substance abuse or gambling because they will probably initially refuse help/love. To them the dark pit of dispair is all that's left because they see others turn their backs. It's easy to love those who love you, but can you "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you..." ? - Matthew 5:44. I don't know what to do for this crisis, but I do know what to feel.

[edit on 9-5-2008 by saint4God]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join