It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 254
<< 251  252  253    255  256  257 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Mobius1974

Ah I see now. I was reading the whole thread and up to page 10 I believe.

Yes. Why not just censor the particular post with personal information and the like? I see no reason to scrap the whole thread. Just censor those posts, and then close it if they are that concerned.

This is in general as well. This has happened many times before with threads containing potentially very valuable information in between the insults/violations of T &C.

It seems 404 ing is EASIER for ATS staff to perform then to censor each post and close the thread. And, as well all know, the easy way, is not necessarily the best way.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I read the whole thing and had posted several very pertinent questions re:the OP (imho) and now a 404? Can we continue the discussion elsewhere?? Or is this the final word about THAT crazy thread?

RATS, maybe?

That was a REALLY crazy ride!!

Skeptic Overlord! Your input, please, sir!

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by virgom129
reply to post by jfj123

I dont understand all the emotion over a pop up...

Just close it...

ATS is privatly owned and I dont think we are bombarded with adds,'
heck, Ninemsm is far worse..

If ATS was lime green text on a hot pink background, there would be no grounds for questioning ... because the site is privately owned? Considering there is this forum for member-initiated questions, it suggests a desire for input from members. Clearly, more than one person is annoyed by that ad. So that member posted in the thread designed for those kinds of topics and expressed an opinion. You shared your opinion ...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

It's over with. It turned into a mess that risked innocent (or guilty) people being harassed by way of their personal information being published.

We don't have the desire or the time to deal with issues like that, way to resource consuming.

Springer...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Springer

I totally understand.. I truely hope that some curious staff are looking into this independently.. Ip checking for multiple accounts.. and such ..
I know I would be.. Especially after the whole Boondock/Doc issue previously .. IMHO..

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I understand the reasons you 404'd it, especially with people talking about meddling in someone else's affairs that are none of their business. I would have made the same call.

But it's also too bad you had to do that because that was perhaps one of the best conspiracy threads on the entire conspiracy site.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Again, I reiterate, why not just censor those few posts and close the thread instead of 404 ?

I don't see your logic.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

We don't have the desire or the time to deal with issues like that, way to resource consuming.

This was the best answer for that..

We are an all voluntary staff with personal lives and there is only so much time in a day...

Perhaps your idea would be OK, if we had a paid staff that devoted their 8 hours to this.. But that is not how ATS works, or what has brought us to being the largest such site on the Internet...

Thank you

Semper

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

Please understand I wish to generalize all 404ed threads, past, present or future, no matter what their nature.

Well, I was under the impression that ATS was about distribution of conspiratorial information, and presenting that information in the most articulate and well mannered way to those who choose to seek it.

The ATS staff, especially the owners, should ensure that this occurs. I understand ATS staff have lives outside of ATS, but to me, if one volunteer's for the job, one must have the aforementioned principle in mind.

If there is not enough time to do what I stated in my previous posts, then either more volunteered help is needed, or the principle that I stated is not in accord with ATS's true purpose.

As of late, I have been realizing that ATS seems to inhibit those who would otherwise potentially take action. ATS seems to be a nice place to vent some anger (articulately), but what does it actually accomplish if its main purpose is not to awaken others and spread conspiratorial information?

By 404ing threads it seems one is taking the easy way out and acting contrary to the purpose of ATS.

- UP -

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

The promotion for the video is a very "polite" style of overlay --

Thats why an entire thread was created to complain about it?

not really a pop-up as it does not create a new browser window.

It creates an overlay window that cannot be moved and info below it cannot be accessed until it is closed.

and once removed, remains so for six hours.

This is incorrect. Every time I reload the homepage, the pop up returns. If I reload the page once a minute, the pop up will be there every time.

Thanks to that type of overlay promotion for our Mustang video, it has received a lot of views, and a lot of attention.

And a lot of complaints.

Even counting the overlay, the entire "square pixel" space occupied by what could be considered "ads" is less than 12% on the site home.

I'll take your word on that for now.

I'm sure if you check, you'll notice I don't complain much here so please don't move me into the chronic complainer folder.

Obviously this is just something I'll either have to deal with or stop coming here which is frankly my problem.
I at least appreciate the fact that someone actually responded to my concern even if I don't agree with said response.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Hear, Hear...

I agree UP...The thread in question could have been one of the most important REAL threads ATS has ever seen in terms of "flowering evidence".

The posts that may have included personal information were very few maybe 1:10 (or 15). Just a mod edit would have fixed any personal info that was listed. I guess though that if the personal info was removed than only people who saw the thread very early on would actually know the facts surrounding te allegations.

Keep your eyes peeled for callsign DOC...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Springer
reply to post by ThatDGgirl

It's over with.

I beg to differ as the OP has been U2Uing many people from that thread to

ask for help
threaten
generally mistreat them

He has also continued to contribute to the topic of the thread via his profile. I got my warning badge because of him and not one mod wants to even begin to address that topic.

It seems far from over.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by evil incarnate

If any member receives harassing or threatening u2us from another member, they should be forwarded to a member of staff.

The T&C apply to all parts of the site and that includes u2us.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

At the risk of being pushy, I MUST ask if we may start a new discussion now that all the links have been disappeared??

There were MANY bits of VERY interesting information that were floating to the surface when that thread vanished....

Just sayin'

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:31 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

If any member receives harassing or threatening u2us from another member, they should be forwarded to a member of staff.

The T&C apply to all parts of the site and that includes u2us.

Let me apologize for my last sarcastic response. Certain mods are well aware of the issue. The responses I got back have been the verbal equivalent of two middle fingers and the member in question with a list of violations a mile long is still sending U2Us out and the thread that was 404'd because it was so dangerous is being continued on his profile.

I tried the talking to mods route and that is why I posted what I did. Thanks anyway.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Then my advice to you would be to cut and paste the offending u2u/s into a complaint and ask if it could please be looked into.

That way you get the attention of all the staff.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Perhaps my previous post has fallen on deaf ears. Either that or my logic was impeccable. I shall assume the former.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

I agree with you, real expose and deception blown out is what matters. By 404ing such threads it looks like real conspiracy is not allowed to unfold on Above Top Secret? Back to story telling and fake UFO's thread. Or maybe it was too hard that a mod's beloved member got exposed. People needed to see it for the shill that guy is.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey

Then my advice to you would be to cut and paste the offending u2u/s into a complaint and ask if it could please be looked into.

That way you get the attention of all the staff.

With all due respect, I feel that would not do any better considering the mod that I have been dealing with and who they are. Besides, if you read my post I am not simply talking about me getting harassing U2U messages. There is a whole lot more to this and a lot more was done. My warning sticker is a big part of what I am talking about.

While trying to do the right thing and play nice it was brought to my attention by other members that I should watch out because he was already U2Uing others and harassing them.

There is even a thread all about him doing this very thing right here

My point is that the offending words sent to me have been shown. No one is doing anything about it but punishing the people that are speaking out about it.

[edit on 7/24/10 by evil incarnate]

new topics

top topics

<< 251  252  253    255  256  257 >>

join