It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by crestone
The IP address of an ATS member was traced by another member

We have no direct evidence that this happened. Most likely the member who claimed to have the IP was just saying so in an effort to pump up his perceived "coolness."

It's not possible for non-staff to obtain the IP address associated with member posts.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I think an important distinction needs to be made between what someone "says" and what is actually fact.

Yes, a member stated that he was able to check another member's IP address.

Did he? No.

The claim that he used his supposed IP check for ended up being completely false.

I'm not sure how you can draw the parallel from someone making a ridiculous claim to us having weak security...

The guy lied, posted false information and it's been dealt with appropriately.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

If you want the chance to post to the pub, you have to have fighter status.

Easy enough to acquire. Just challenge someone to a debate. You'll find the rules of the debate forum and a list of fighter's in this thread by The Vagabond.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

You can challenge a current fighter or find another member that is interested and work out the topic.

You should try it. It's fun, educational and challenging.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
From my point of view I think what happened is member, theskeptic, and BoulderMD exchanged emails. If you check the theskeptic's profile he has BoulderMD listed as a friend.

And that is the only thing I have to make assertion.

All I can think is once he had the email, he may have also gotten a phone number which he used at reverse lookup or some such. Or may have used whois with the ip.

That's my best guess.

When I realized I had used the posted info as well, I went back to edit and Magij had closed the thread.

Can I edit my post out? Or would someone please remove it and the link?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Public And Private

Originally posted by garyo1954
When I realized I had used the posted info as well, I went back to edit and Magij had closed the thread.

Can I edit my post out? Or would someone please remove it and the link?

All done, and thank you very much for your concern.

Meanwhile, although two admins have already commented on the "ip trace" issue, as the moderator who closed the thread in question, I did want to briefly comment on why I closed the thread.

The "ip trace" claim and posting of what may or may not have been a member's personal contact information was one of the reasons I closed the thread, but not the only reason.

There are other issues I cannot publicly discuss, and until they are resolved, I do not intend to reopen the thread.

I know the thread is popular, and I'm sorry it's closed, but as always my actions are guided by the AboveTopSecret.com Terms And Conditions Of Use, and I hope my fellow members can understand.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

This is an easy fix all you have to do is become a fighter. then you will have all the same access that the rest of the fighters have. contact the vagabond and he will set you up. I think some of the other mods do it as well? chissler I bet can do it or any of the mods that are in there at least can point you in the right direction.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Thanks GAOTU789 and WhatUKno for the information
Will do that, it definitely looks right up my soap box
TGIF, all!

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
why are there so many noobs on Above Top Secret? Its like the whole direction of the web site shifted in the last 3 months to something not as cool as what it was before. The topics of discussion are not as cool and there doesnt seem to be any involvement at all?

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Is there something we don't know about you? You have 14 points yourself. I'm not saying you're a "noob".. such nonsense is for illiterate teenagers looking for attention. But just pointing it out since noone knows for sure whether or not you've been here before yourself..

p.s. not trying to come across as rude..
It was a serious question..

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlasteR
Is there something we don't know about you? You have 14 points yourself. I'm not saying you're a "noob".. such nonsense is for illiterate teenagers looking for attention. But just pointing it out since noone knows for sure whether or not you've been here before yourself..

..so he's a fake noob then?

the more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.. though the new ones are probably robbie williams fans.

[edit on 7-6-2008 by riley]

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

Let's see, we have 5,000+ new posts a day and this person (fake noob or no) says "there is no involvement at all"...

Okaaaayyyyyy....

Springer...

posted on Jun, 7 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
I was just hoping I could block 'em but if that isn't practical thats fair enough.

I don't suppose you considered just not opening them? like spam email? Just hit delete.. once you ignore them long enough they go away and bug someone else

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Is there only one thread for ATS issues? I was interested in a couple of threads that were summarily closed because the MOD stated it belonged in the ATS issues thread but they were two different subject from what seems loosely covered here.

How can this work? If its an ATS issue, is it to be all homogenized into one giant thread? Shouldn't there be a collection of such threads? Or does what I, and apparently others, think is worthy of discussion, not count?

[edit on 9-6-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
There is a method to this madness...

reply to post by Maxmars

Please see this post contained within this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 9/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 9 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mirthful Me

Thank you, I understand your position now.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

This post that appeared toward the end of the change in religious stuff thread appears not to have been seen by you and I'd sure appreciate your response, if at all workable.

BTW, I have posted several posts and my points haven't changed at all . . . is there a reason for that? Is the points system broken or shut down?

Here's the post:

posted on 11/6/2008 @ 21:04 single this post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's still not clear to me . . . witness

WWW.ANCIENTofDAYS.NET...

and Guy Malone's perspective well buttressed by a huge panel of high level experts . . . that no AUTHENTIC CHRISTIAN HAS EVER BEEN ABDUCTED . . . and that basic Christian Spiritual warfare can prevent abductions. Further, that folks with a brief long ago exposure to Sunday School have halted abductions in the midst of transpiring by calling on Jesus.

Where can such be discussed robustly?

Also, as a Christian, it is common, virtually assured, that any significant issue which crosses any sort of world view/ cosmological/ philosophical/ spiritual turf is likely to have a component automatically requiriing some spiritual/Christian flavored comment, if I'm to comment at all--unless I ruthlessly censor every word and nuance.

Even when I have tried to be very sparse, low level etc. in mentioning some aspect of a comment about ET's abductions, END TIMES CONSPIRACIES etc. Many mods have been very harsh and many members just as harsh in insisting that I take all such comments to some Christian forum. Actually, many of such assaults can go on for many posts with some mods engaging in them as ruthlessly as some members--with obvious impunity. Rather off-putting to say the least. Usually, the very small minority of Christians daring to show up or speak up in the least on such a topic are hounded off the thread post haste or at least as soon as many harshly abusive members can wear the Christians down.

But the topic is NOT ON/IN an ATS Christian forum. Indeed, there doesn't seem to be a place where the intersections of such PRESUMED CROSS-TOPIC subjects can be discussed on ATS.

I understand that most of the mods are atheists/agnostics and that some of them are logically and demonstrably quite hostile to any Christians that show up on that board. Also, that volunteer mods are not exactly easy to come by of any quality and trustworthiness. And, that this often enough presents problems in managing mods and super mods with strong biase.

That resutls, in the case of the USA in a forum where 80% or so of the USA population is treated so much like last class citizens that they'd better be of very stout stuff if they want to even show their little pinky finger in a thread.

I think much of the time, many Christians just hide their world-view/cosmology rather than put up with all the flack. That's MUCH more than a little sad.

It appears to be the case that the coming 12 months may be the most dramatic 12 months of the last many hundred years. Some of us are convinced that the forces of good and evil are gearing up for the literal Armageddon not too many years hence.

In any case, to have one major value orientation which has contained and demonstrated the massive amount of good works in education, hospitals, and a list of other ways for the last 2,000 years . . . which has fostered much of the world's best art of the last 2000 years . . . as well as the world's best literature . . . to have that value orientation soooooo muffled to even silenced on so many critical threads of importance in the broad areas ATS covers . . . is beyond--well beyond deplorable and idiotic.

I don't know what the answer is. I can hear the wails and protests already to this post. I sure would appreciate the 3 Amigo's giving this set of problems some serious thought and a better solution than I've seen heretofore and than I see on this thread.

I greatly appreciate ATS.

I appreciate the efforts to clean up the software and make it more navigable.

I appreciate efforts to make it easier to see our posts and responses to them. I hope those efforts continue to improve things.

Thank you for doing a lot of things well and right.

I would greatly appreciate this area presenting better workable solutions,

Sincerely,

Bo Xian

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

folks with a brief long ago exposure to Sunday School have halted abductions in the midst of transpiring by calling on Jesus.
Where can such be discussed robustly?

Skunkworks would seem appropriate.

Also, as a Christian, it is common, virtually assured, that any significant issue which crosses any sort of world view/ cosmological/ philosophical/ spiritual turf is likely to have a component automatically requiriing some spiritual/Christian flavored comment, if I'm to comment at all--unless I ruthlessly censor every word and nuance.

I'm certain you'd agree that, for those who do not share your faith (or even particular version of Christianity), experiencing constant affirmations of your faith in all forms from subtle hints to overt "hellfire" in every contribution would not only be tedious, it'd downright irritating. Just as it was to see one former atheist member constantly interject criticism of Christianity into topics where it wasn't warranted. I had always thought the best example I Christian could portray is that of an intelligent and admirable person, who happens to be one of deep faith. Restraint is often times the best example any of us can aspire to.

Even when I have tried to be very sparse, low level etc. in mentioning some aspect of a comment about ET's abductions, END TIMES CONSPIRACIES etc. Many mods have been very harsh and many members just as harsh in insisting that I take all such comments to some Christian forum.

See the above about restraint and tedium avoidance.

Indeed, there doesn't seem to be a place where the intersections of such PRESUMED CROSS-TOPIC subjects can be discussed on ATS.

Based on what you're saying, it appears as though you're the one attempting to turn the topics into a "cross-topic" situation. Perhaps a solution that respects the flow of the original discussion and participants would be to start a new thread in the BTS: Religion, Faith, And Theology Forum that states your faith-based divergent viewpoint, then link to it from the original thread. It's good "forum manners" to branch out into new threads when you have an alternative viewpoint that has been inspired by a thread, but which diverges off into new territory.

I understand that most of the mods are atheists/agnostics

That isn't an accurate statement. And in fact, a recently banned atheist member had assumed the staff was almost entirely Christian.

and that some of them are logically and demonstrably quite hostile to any Christians that show up on that board.

Again, your assumptions are incorrect. You're drawing the incorrect conclusion that since our staff seeks to contain what appear to be your efforts at "thread drift," they must be against your opinions. It's a common misconception many passionate members make; 9/11 Truthers think we're supporting the official story because we don't tolerate their aggressive attitude, 9/11 debunkers think we're truthers because we tolerate speculative 9/11 conspiracy theories, and so on.

One final tidbit to offer something to think about: if you're frustrated by what you perceive to be a consistently hostile reaction to your world-view, consider that it may not be your opinion, but your tactics that solicit such reactions.

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Hello SO,

Could you take a look at my post from the recent 'new religion/creation/evolution posting guidlines' thread whenever you have a minute. Still a little unsure of what goes where, as I often post on these topics but, rarely include any religous or scriptural commentary with them. Is the short answer: if it's pro-creationism or ID it goes in BTS; conspiracy related in O&C; pro-mainstream evolution in sci/tech; everything else in BTS. Thanks man.

[edit on 12-6-2008 by Rren]

posted on Jun, 12 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Much appreciate your responses.

1. Have tried to be restrained and increasingly so--and have increasingly succeeded. I still hold forth where it seems fitting.

2. Will keep in mind the preferred option of starting a new thread in skunkworks and behave accordingly.

3. Agree that understatement is often more powerful and preferred.

4. Actually, it was a rather high-ranking (as I understand and observe it) SUPER MODERATOR IIRC, who asserted rather straightforwardly that the majority of mods were atheists and agnostics. They did so on an open thread. I don't have the link nor the days it would take to track it down. I assumed that such folks chronically tell the truth in their duties hereon.

5. I think I've ALWAYS been AT LEAST no more than EQUAL to the hostile folks in assertiveness and always muted in word choices and VIRTUALLY ALWAYS much more restrained than they are.

6. It would be an interesting study to choose 10 threads at random and see which sides of which issues were most hostile, rude, abusive.

7. Much appreciate all your efforts and wisdom hereon.

Thanks BIG.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join