It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla rolls out its long-awaited electric sports car

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by sherpa

Well, I have studied Tesla a bit in the past. So here is my wild speculation as to what the box could have done.

1) It was an ungodly efficient crystal radio and he tuned into something big and powerful broadcaster like WNBC, WABC, WCBS or another high output radio station (today that would be WLW in Cincinnati which still reaches 38 states) and instead of powering a small speaker off the crystal's vibrations he used it to build a charge in the resistors and capacitors to recharge the 12V battery which had a DC to AC inverter before going to the motor leads. Which I think is what the Wardenclyffe Tower was about along with being a giant Tesla Coil that would pulse off the magnosphere with a harmonic resonance.

2) It could have been based off some of his earlier x-ray experiments and instead of producing roentdens off the electron gun he produced electricity. Far fetched given the size of the box, because there would have been some funky converting going on. So while I highly doubt it, again I have to say Tesla was way ahead of us. Unless of course he had perfected a super-duper light receptive diode and ran the gun through a medium of sodium iodide to convert the x-rays to a visible light photon...but that would be giving him way too much credit for what was possible to fabricate in the 1930's.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by Ahabstar]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
No emissions? What about the electricity production used to power the cars? What about the emissions caused when making the batteries? I'm sorry but these cars are simply shifting the emissions onto the power stations and other areas. They are doing little for the enviroment.

Thumbs down for me i'm afraid, when they get them to work on solar power, then we'll have something to talk about, oh but of course most people aren't aware of the amazing waste produced in the tradional cells.

Oh well back to that drawing board.

It's not Tesla Motors job to get rid of the coal and oil power plants.
It runs on electricity... there are thousands of ways to produce that. Blaming Tesla Motors for your own countries failure to use clean power plants is pointless.

You can, if you like, place solar panels at your house to recharge it.
Or, you can live in a country that isn't hell bent on using Coal and Oil for their power grid.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

I get your point, but I read an article a few years ago about using solar convection to power multiple wind tubines inside a narrowing tube. So when we scrap all the old gas guzzlers, perhaps we will "litter" the countryside with power producing pipeworks.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Still though we miss the mark when it comes to the production of the whole thing and its eventual end.

The tires, body, and lubricants as I mentioned will only harm the environment in the production process, and the lubricants and tires in the disposal of them.

Then when it comes to the end of the life of the vehicle it will only serve to fill a hole in a dump later on. If you use the metals or whatever else for future vehicles in the way of recycling you must remember that the materials lose some of what made them strong to begin with and will only weaken in the end.

Not that I have a problem with getting away from the fuels we use now, but I am not sure that the overall energy used and wasted will help in the future. I of course am speaking of the whole vehicle beginning to end. While it might help some it is not enough to really matter.

And again I will go from a consumer point of view looking at the cost right up front. It is by far unaffordable to the majority of the people and those who can afford it are going to want more from a sports car of that price.

Raist

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I don't know Raist, all options put out like that and that leaves us with horses and mules for transportation. Unless figuring in the cost for the electric to produce medicines to keep them healthy, the greenhouse gas output from biological processes from feeding the hay burner. The increased demand for oats, hay, straw, waste collection and removal. The impact to those with animal allergies, fear of horses (Equinophobia), sheltered parking conditions, strain on clean water supplies, Hasbro (who wants a My Pretty Pony when you have the real thing?)....mules are just a pain in the butt.

Of course I jest, but the reality of the clean green transport just does not exist as even shoes wear out and must be discarded and replaced. The best promotion for an electric car is that it lowers depending on foriegn oil and that the cost savings for fuel can be spread out to the rest of the economy instead of giving it to big oil and the government in fuel taxes. And considering that gasoline is about 1/4 of my paycheck per week is a good thing in my book as recharging does not HAVE to go to the local electric company unless I want the easy out of dependable service. As I have listed just a few ways of self-producing electricity just in this thread. And there many, many less exotic ways to do so.

Of which there is a joke of using NiCad's to spin an alternator. Recharging the NiCad's is done by making rollerskates with the wheels mounted to little generators. Give the skates to a kid and tell him to be back in 3 hours. Kids have endless energy.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by Ahabstar]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Have any of you ever read Ann Rand? I never made the connection between John Galt (a character) and Tesla before, but if you read "Atlas Shrugged", you will see a weird chapter where he has a box in a room that powers entire communities. I'm really interested in what you are talking about. (you would have to know the book. It was very popular for a long time here)

[edit on 2-5-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

The only way to ever get a clean car, is to rework our source energy. For example,
www.patentstorm.us...

Underwater generators that are miles long and use ocean currents to produce electricity. Then you can go about using hemp to produce a plastic that would be molded into interchangeable parts that were not painted, but dyed and buffed. All oils could be a by product of vegetable oils, as well as hemp. Again, your source energy is the key. It is all down hill from there. The very worst part of our pollution is emissions, from factories, plants, and cars themselves. but if you changed the grid...

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
just wait till you get your electricity bill.

there is a reason why we do not have electrical cars, I admire the innovative concept, however, this will not solve many of the major problems we face today. If its not your gas bill, it will be your electric bill from where you will feel the pinch.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by West Coast
just wait till you get your electricity bill.

there is a reason why we do not have electrical cars, I admire the innovative concept, however, this will not solve many of the major problems we face today. If its not your gas bill, it will be your electric bill from where you will feel the pinch.

The fact is with the addition on the electric bill you are still saving sick amounts of money. The average person will save $250.00 a month. Now if I had it I would save a hell of a lot more than that because of how much I drive but I dont even see where there is an argument here...electric cars are a good thing. If not electric then Hydrogen cars would work for me also.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I am for solar power. I think that is the only safe, clean, cost effective option.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
The fact is with the addition on the electric bill you are still saving sick amounts of money. The average person will save $250.00 a month.

That depends on how much you drive. Still, I cannot help but think, as the demand goes up, so to will the price of electricity.

Now if I had it I would save a hell of a lot more than that because of how much I drive but I dont even see where there is an argument here...electric cars are a good thing. If not electric then Hydrogen cars would work for me also.

It certainly is "thinking out of the box." I admire the concept, and I do think innovation is a good thing, I just do not see it as a feasible longterm solution that will effectively replace the existing infrastructure.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by West Coast]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by West Coast
I am for solar power. I think that is the only safe, clean, cost effective option.

Wind also if your area accommodates. The big oil Billionaires like Boone Pickens is investing Billions into wind energy. I agree between solar, wind, and nuclear there is no need for coal or oil. Use oil for the remainder of its uses....

as far as the feasable long term solution we need to do SOMETHING I mean sitting with our thumbs in our butts for the past 30 years has gotten us no where...lets so something now so 15 years down the road we will be like Brazil and that is energy independent.

And as far as electric going up when we the people get a little less dependent on the governments energy and invest our own money into our own energy solar or whatever it will make no difference. I for one am looking into solar and also wind.

[edit on 2-5-2008 by mybigunit]

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I started a new thread concerning the use of oil companies to start a new war through public outrage...www.abovetopsecret.com...

We need to make the jump soon.... I fear this will be how we sign our freedom away, for want of eneregy...

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Amazing design, cool technology and another great solution to the gas powered engine, that you can't afford.

I hope that they dont end up in a crushed pile of scraps in a couple of years.

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JesterTerrestrial

Again, I would point out that many features start on more expensive projects, and become standard within a decade. I guess I just realized that the important word here is the "sports" part. A high performance electric car. THAT is a leap.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Well... what about that?

www.theaircar.com...

I'd prefer to spend 15000 to 20000 in that than 100000 in an electric sport car. My first priority is fuel economy and my second is nature. So i prefer to get my hands on the air car. Works just fine for me.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Distance from London to Edinburgh : 404 miles
Range of Tesla Car: Epic Fail

I fail to see how electric cars are the solution to global warming when the electricity they run on is derived from coal and other fossil fuels. It is just a gimmick.

The car is undoubtedly a high performance vehicle, with 0-60 in circa 4seconds, but the inconvenience of having to stop and charge up your car for 3.5hrs would be humiliating and boring.

So either the car is suited for the city- in which case the blitzing performance is worthless. Or it is suited for grand touring- in which case the range is too poor at the moment.

The future is in hydrogen fuel cells. I'll wait for one of those before shelling out 100k on a scaled up Tyco racer.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
reply to post by jasonjnelson

In the works? They had this technology years ago.

Since 1901 actually... Maybe even before that... Looked like electric model T's... View the movie "What happened to the electric car" for the details..

Saturn and other companies had already produced these types of cars as well about 20 years ago... Only difference is the battery technologies... Also they are not using Tesla designs... Where is the free energy? Misrepresentation of his name if you ask me...

[edit on 3-5-2008 by ElectricUncleSam]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Had you read the replies before posting you would have noticed that electricity can and is produced via other means as well. Have you heard of hydro-electric plants, perhaps solar energy ...

The point is oil comes from one source and cannot be "produced". electricity on the other hand, can be produced from many other types of energy. And if we were serious enough we could potentially eliminate oil from the electricity equation altogether.

I guess we will wait for a 100 other tsunamis, katrinas etc. to wake up and smell the $..t we are in.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
not as bad some may think
yes it requires power plants but there is "clean" nuclear power.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join