It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla rolls out its long-awaited electric sports car

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
reply to post by mybigunit

Thats the problem the cars are so much money not many can buy them so how does it help? They need to think again, Battery's don't last that long either. It will be like replacing your engine every four years.

I believe the idea was summarized to:

Sell the cars at a more expensive price to early adopters with money (E.g. Google founders), partially to try and quickly get some income for things like developments costs and, when time progresses, to drop the price to an amount that is more and more in the direction of a normal car which can be bought by the average American customer.

[edit on 4-5-2008 by mirador]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
and this of course, is my point. thank you for clarifying. You see, most things start out at a cost most people can't afford. Like flat screen televisions, and computers, and video games, and so on... this is a great way to raise awareness and make something happen.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
FWIT, here is a link to an article listing the Top 10 Electric Vehicles you can buy right now. I for one am looking into purchasing an electric vehicle in the next 2-3 years. I believe there are about to be huge strides made in this field. The technology simply can no longer be supressed, and now that it is being embraced, it is about to explode. BTW, for those on here that are always looking for investment opps, this field is going to be a goldmine.

www.autobloggreen.com...

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by theQuest

If one were careful, you are right. There have been huge leaps in this field, and now that clear frontrunners are emerging, it would be a good time to invest.

Now where was i keeping that 401K?

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I'll be sticking with diesel engines. Which, by the way, can be run off of any type of oil such as vegitable/plant oils(any kind you want from peanuts and corn or even the cheaper to produce hemp), or waste oils from cooking/frying(my local McDonalds will sell me 100 gallons for 10$). If the world went crazy, I could still power a diesel engine till I or the vehicle died. Heck if there was enough war, I could just render the fat off of all the dead bodies to run my car. I'l keep solar and wind power where it needs to be, in my home powering the water pump,computer,refrigerator,stereo,TV,ect.

Current diesel engines can get anywhere from 50-80mpg with top speeds of 80mph(ten miles faster than the speed limit on the freeway).for 10$ of used grease I can drive 5000 miles(on the lowend of mpg and 8000miles at perfect performance). Electricity cannot come close to that as far as price and sustainability goes. GO DIESEL!!

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by LordBaskettIV

Oh yeah, there's a thread thats missing from this site.

"GM creates vehicle that runs off the fat of the dead."

Nice point though, about diesel engines.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Yeah, I honestly think bio diesel hybrids are the way of the future. Following the link left by the quest, which for some reason didn't produce the article, but did send me to the website where I could search for more information, I went to the Altura website and they claim "Our first prototype, the Mk-0, was a parallel hybrid Diesel and achieved an average of 230 MPG at a steady state of 55 MPH"

Now that is good mileage, especially if you are feeding the engine with fryer grease.

A sentence later they state, "This was pure Diesel/mechanical drive with no electric assist. Diesel is attractive for its Carnot efficiency and the increased enthalpy of Diesel fuel vs gasoline. However, diesel contains lots of unburned hydrocarbons and NOX compounds, and it's impossible to get a small Diesel engine certified for emissions in California."

Gee, you can drive a Humvee that gets about six miles a gallon ( I'm guessing ) and get state certified, but not a lightweight diesel. Who does our government represent?

www.aptera.com...

This is a vehicle I could go for. Unfortunately I didn't see any pricing and availability. I'd rather get the diesel version myself.

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

to tell you the truth, I want a Moller Skycar.

magicalpowermako-cosmos.blogspot.com...

posted on May, 5 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Has anyone come up with some pics of this thing yet? Or does anyone have access to the patent office? I am curious about what generation this technology is as well...

posted on Jun, 14 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Yes it is expensive but for one its a SPORTS CAR. Secondly it doesnt need oil or brake changes. Thirdly you dont have to spend 4plus dollars for a gallon of gas. The major hurdle i see is that it take 4hrs to charge in order to drive 220 miles....a long wait at the charging station on the road

P.S. Pics on this site....www.teslamotors.com...

[edit on 6/14/2008 by Frank Black]

[edit on 6/14/2008 by Frank Black]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join