It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesla rolls out its long-awaited electric sports car

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by 2believeor0
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Had you read the replies before posting you would have noticed that electricity can and is produced via other means as well. Have you heard of hydro-electric plants, perhaps solar energy ...

The point is oil comes from one source and cannot be "produced". electricity on the other hand, can be produced from many other types of energy. And if we were serious enough we could potentially eliminate oil from the electricity equation altogether.

I guess we will wait for a 100 other tsunamis, katrinas etc. to wake up and smell the $..t we are in.

Just because this car runs on electricity does not make it "green". A better form of energy storage and utilization is hydrogen fuel cells, with hydrogen derived from electrolysis of sea water by solar, tidal or hydroelectric mechanisms.

Obviously I know that electricity can be produced by other means...it just isnt the best method of storing energy for locomotion at the moment. Maybe when we develop better battery technology then perhaps it may be viable.

Also, just because something is possible does not mean that it currently occurs. At last count about 90% of our electricity on the grid is derived from fossil fuels. Until and unless this value is reduced to 0%, this car is a worthless "advance" because it does not address the issue of how the energy it uses is created.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
if i was forced to make a choice,,,
$100K for a jackrabbit speed machine
$29K for a sensible green-transportation machine,

i'd go for this Aptera
www.aptera.com...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

since the electric vehicle still hasn't the infrastructure or support
that will come with acceptance & popularity,,,the main drawback
will be the battery & recharging problems.
Perhaps the ubiquitious gas stations will eventually convert into
battery-exchange centers,
where whole power packs are exchanged for fully charged power packs
in about the same time it takes us to top-off-the-tank with theusual gasoline fillup.

i imagine something like a robotic forklift removing ones 'empty' battery
module...and another automated device 'inserting' a fully charged battery module.. of course the industry would need to standardize the vehicles power-modules (i.e. battery packs)

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Electric cars aren't where they should be, to say the least.

Why is this? Is it because the technology isn't 'ripe', or is it because of something else?

I personally believe, it is because of something else. For example, the government(s) not making 'their fair share' of profits from oils, gas, whatever.

Money is a hindrance. It always has been, and probably will always be. The governments of the world don't want to lose their opportunity at making trillions off of bio fuels like they currently are doing. So, they limit the possibilities of alternative fuels, and funding.

Electric cars may not be the best solution for long distance driving, but neither are cars. (For the environment that is.) But in city driving, an electric car should be plenty. And given enough initiatives, it could grow into something bigger, and better.

But like I said, that won't happen when the governments still want their cut.

Just my 0.2 cents.

FK

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

since the electric vehicle still hasn't the infrastructure or support
that will come with acceptance & popularity,,,the main drawback
will be the battery & recharging problems.
Perhaps the ubiquitious gas stations will eventually convert into
battery-exchange centers,
where whole power packs are exchanged for fully charged power packs
in about the same time it takes us to top-off-the-tank with theusual gasoline fillup.

i imagine something like a robotic forklift removing ones 'empty' battery
module...and another automated device 'inserting' a fully charged battery module.. of course the industry would need to standardize the vehicles power-modules (i.e. battery packs)

A very nice example of lateral thinking!

The only drawback that I can see is the question of who would pay for new batteries? What if someone drove in with an old, broken battery and exchanged it for a new one?

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

The only drawback that I can see is the question of who would pay for new batteries? What if someone drove in with an old, broken battery and exchanged it for a new one?

thats where the the persons ID comes to the fore.

the kinks can be worked out, for instance your vehicle can only be used by yourself or approved others , the face/eye/thumbprint or other biometrics--- therefore you have a digital trail of activity & traceability !
Your 500-800 lb module of batteries being exchanged would be instantly tested to see if components are dead or non-rechargeable...
and a healthy but low charged battery module would serve as a type of guarantee for the replacement module of batteries for the vehicle.
(I'd say that a bank of batteries would inventory at +$5K) but all that is waived in the instant exchange, one is only charged for the juiced up batteries and the exchange fee (lets guess ~$50.)

**i know that the station/terminals up front costs for lets say 500 battery modules would be high, but the oil companies are flush with profits now, and would be able to support a fairly rapid conversion to 'Charge Stations'
from the Gas stations of today.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No More Gas (NmG)

www.realitysandwich.com...

but for domestic use, these types of communting vehicles, which requires the user to charge it up for 8 hours would be a different story...
proper planning and a pretty regular lifestyle will be needed for these cheapies to be of value for the service industry worker (as example only)
The freeway 'Charging Stations' are for different clientel

more food-for-thought, Thanks,

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Is this technology being metered out by TPTB? Probably...
Could we produce clean electricity and cleaner burning cars? Definitely...
And How about taking responsibility for why this hasn't happened yet? well now....

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Does anyone have any photos in person of this vehicle. I am actually more interested in seeing the engine compartment...I mean, how is it getting a charge in 3 1/2 hours, and then producing power from the engine to rival any sports car. The more I think about it, the more incredible it seems to me...

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It probably won't be long before a country such as China changes over to these technologies before we do. They can build these cheaper and apparently faster than we can. But our oil lobbyists and their bedfellows would most likely keep them out for some safety factors etc.

A comparatively few token brand cars such as these is just some lame appeasement. Our world is so backwards, it's no wonder any alien visitors get disgusted and leave. Tesla, from some of these stories, seems more alien than humans who mostly use their lower brain functions.(?) It's as if aliens who come here believe that if we use these technologies, would give them the right to move in with us. So, we can't use it? The power producing companies might adapt but still charge us yesterdays high fees. Free energy for them, and slavery for us?

[edit on 3-5-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
gee whiz...who the fk cares about performance?,if it gets you from point A to point B cheaply,good!.No need for another stupid sports car for some dumbass to kill himself and others on the roads with,there is enough carnage out here already.
I swear,americans are all dumbass consumer clone pin. fools.
Yeah ,really,and I lead my life in such a way that I can say that with a clear conscience too.
Stupid sheeat is everywhere....you don't need it and never did...dumbass consumers.
The only ppl who need anything in this country are the ppl who sell you all this shti you don't need,they need to convince you to buy it when you don't need it.
How about something more reasonable,like public transportation?,put some money into something that will actually benefit EVERYBODY!.
I could take an 86 subaru GL 4wd,and adapt a d/c electric motor to the transmission,load it with deep cycle batteries,and do the same or better than this tesla crap.
get a grip.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I'd rather have many electric cars that are charged using electricity that has been generated by a central, very efficient power plant then having thousands of cars each with their own horribly inefficient combustion engines.

I mean... even if it's powered by fossil fuels there are ways to filter and clean up the waste of large power plants

And then the reliability aspect. If my memory serves me well, I once heard in a YouTube movie or so that the Tesla car has just 19 moving parts... compared to hundreds if not thousands in a 'normal' car.

And electric engines 'scale' very well into high RPMs with a nice torque curve.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
When my (now lets see) Great Great Great Grandfather (Studebaker) began his first line of cars, he had two choices at the time, one was electric and the other oil.

He was lead to believe that the later would create more jobs and industry.

Not only was he fulfilling a dream of his father, but was also very concerned with this country and its new begining for all men that were willing to work and to live free to actualize the American Dream.

I was told at a very young age that I would be flying in hover craft by the time I grew up, that was only one possibility, and still I am enslaved to the now dying dream of the oil cartels.

No this is not a new found idea, it is a very old one that is far behind in its actualization and technology.

I hope that alternate realities do exist, because somewhere there is another me, fully enjoying life as it was meant to be.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Very poignant. I believe that although the oil cartel does have a grip around the ankles of the world, it will not be long before they have lost control. This war, this depression, and this civil unrest will lead to changes. I am sure of it for one reason, and that is that these
companies are going to either have to admit that oil is NOT running out, or they are going to have to get on-board these new technologies. Don't be surprised at the power of these next generations. I feel like TPTB are squeezing their collective grips, letting the sand flow trough the cracks.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It seems to me that any car called a Tesla should be based on the Tesla coil, not batteries.

Telsa made almost all of his great achievements by use of Tesla coils which produced very high voltages. It seems to me that a hybrid with an engine ran on biodiesel with a Tesla coil should be the way into the future. I think the answer would be to develop the most efficient capacitors possible to charge up and store voltages around 1200 volts or higher. The thing is that high voltage is less dangerous than high current which is more likely to blow up. The way electricity works is that voltage and current are inverse when it comes to generating power, in order to get power, you need to have either high voltage and low current or low voltage and high current, or some mix inbetween.

With the Tesla coil a small engine running at a fixed RPM, which would greatly extend the engines life time and efficiency, could run a generator that charges a Tesla coil, and then after a short wait after engine start up, you could drive comfortable around with an even greater range due to the low fuel consumption of such a diesel. For long trips run the engine at a higher RPM for continuous output.

Would anyone be interested in exchanging ideas on working on such a concept car? I think developing a highly efficient capacitor would be the first step.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
It's not Tesla Motors job to get rid of the coal and oil power plants.
It runs on electricity... there are thousands of ways to produce that. Blaming Tesla Motors for your own countries failure to use clean power plants is pointless.

You can, if you like, place solar panels at your house to recharge it.
Or, you can live in a country that isn't hell bent on using Coal and Oil for their power grid.

Not it's tesla motors job to come up with a clean technology. As i stated you can use solar panels but those are very wasteful to produce at the moment, nuclear power isn't clean either, maybe you should look up the CO2 outputs of current nuclear plants when you take into account ore processing and mining.

I'm tired of this electric brigade sahying it's the cure for all the worlds ills. Until we can produce affordable, clean electricity these cars are nothing more than feel good trinkets for the enviromentally minded masses. Don't get me wrong i care deeply about protecting the enviroment, but we have to take a realistic approach.

If we can learn to harvest the sun more effectively (nanosolar and a few others are doing good work), then we still shouldn't use electric cars becuase the batteries are so shockingly bad to produce.

So don't insult my country (the UK btw) and say it's their fault, this company is inventing cars with massive batteries in them, the production of these means you use lots of very nasty chemicals, rare earth metals, plastics and mountains of energy in production. That is directly their fault.

Originally posted by johnsky
You can, if you like, place solar panels at your house to recharge it.

Again, maybe you should look up the production of solar panels, the current wastages are often near 60%. Nanosolar and other companies are working on this but their panels currently are said to break down rather quickly so work needs to be done. I think a mix of solar, wind and geothermal methods is the future but they're just not ready yet.

[edit on 3-5-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Engines in cars are 100% gas-powered.

Power plants are not. Today, much of electricity is generated by nuclear, natural gas, coal, geothermal, hydro, wind, and solar. The overall mix amounts to very much less pollution per car than generating power on-board with an internal combustion engine. Something like 5x cleaner... and as more and more cleaner power plants come online, that number will only get better.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ianr5741

Engines in cars are 100% gas-powered.

Power plants are not. Today, much of electricity is generated by nuclear, natural gas, coal, geothermal, hydro, wind, and solar. The overall mix amounts to very much less pollution per car than generating power on-board with an internal combustion engine. Something like 5x cleaner... and as more and more cleaner power plants come online, that number will only get better.

Ahh but lets factor smething in here, if we turned all cars electric you would need an absolute ton of new power plants and so the overall CO2 increases. I would like ot see someone do the maths on that, how many new power plants you would need to fuel all these electric cars.

Listen i'm not saying we shouldn't invest heavily in clean power sources, solar, wind, tidal, geothermal. I'm saying we need a stop gap until then, nuclear being my preferred option. The cars however just aern't as green as they're made out to be, despite the the battery issue, theres the issue i outlined above, the need for extra power plants that would be created.

I would support electric cars wholly and fully if we could create enough power from solar, wind and other clean sources. I think this is maybe 50 years off, fusion would also be another option but it remains to be seen if it's viable.

[edit on 3-5-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Except that you could easily outfit your home with a bunch of ultra efficient solar cells and use them to charge your car. Moreover producing electricity can be more efficient and cleaner than refining and burning gasoline. You could for example use wind, solar, hydro and nuclear power for the electricity.

You do have a good point about the batteries though. They are a potential massive toxic hazard.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I wonder how hard it would be to put a small windmill generator up on you roof, or somewhere on your property. Heck, you might be able to have a pop up wind mill generator on your auto that charges batteries or your Tesla coil while you vehicle is parked. It is my understanding with a bit of wind, you can generate more electricity from a wind mill.

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mybigunit

Thats the problem the cars are so much money not many can buy them so how does it help? They need to think again, Battery's don't last that long either. It will be like replacing your engine every four years.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

I wanted to reiterate, that something as fantastic as a rear view camera when you reverse was merely an add on to a million dollar sports car just 10 years ago and now it's on every factory toyota. It only takes financial success for ideas to become available mainstream. What if the Honda civic Hybrid had failed?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join