It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds: We will search through your laptop files at the border

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:
apc

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:06 AM
link   
If you have to cross the border just set your background image to the Receiver from goatse.cx. Although that domain is gone, a new one has replaced it that is very similar. Fairly easy to find. But if one has never experience the awe that is inspired by the image, beware. It will change you forever, and with any luck make the customs agent struggle not to vomit while violating your privacy.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChadAndrewATS

You shouldn't insult any nation. There are more than a few smart people in this country. There is a very long list of important things discovered/invented in America (see sample list below):

1. Constitution
2. Automobile
3. Plane
4. Telephone
5. Radio
6. Television
7. Computer
8. Internet

(and the list goes on...).

[edit on 1-5-2008 by ChadAndrewATS]

With reference to your list...
1. Constitution: Actually the Constitution is a more modern version of the Magna Carta, written in the 13th Century, and possibly the most important document ever penned. Without the Magna Carta, the idea of human rights wouldn't have existed until much later.
www.archives.gov...

2. Automobile-Though Ford came up with and implemented the first automobile assembly lines, he did NOT invent the Automobile. In fact, Henry wasn't even born when it was invented.
www.uh.edu...

3. Plane: I'm assuming you mean Airplane. Yes, I'll give it to Orville and Wilbur.

4. Telephone: It's true that Bell patented his design first, but it's really a toss up whether he or Elisha Gray actually invented it.
inventors.about.com...

5. Radio: You could make an argument that Tesla actually invented the radio, though the research groundwork was laid by many other men. It is generally accepted though that Marconi invented the radio as we know it today. Marconi wasn't in the US at the time.

en.wikipedia.org...

6. Television: Belin, an Englishman living in France, was the first to send pictures via radio in 1922.
www.physlink.com...

7. Computer: Konrad Zuse is most probably the "inventor" of the computer. He was a German national, not an American.

inventors.about.com...

8. Internet: Okay. The US military actually invented the internet as a secondary communication system, back in 1973
www.ideafinder.com...

Sorry to do that to you, but I don't like revisionist history.

[edit on 1-5-2008 by kelbtalfenek]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
With reference to the original post: This is another example of denial of basic rights guaranteed by the Constitution. Isn't there, or wasn't there something said about "search and seizure?"

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ChadAndrewATS

Hi Chad,

I'm fairly certain that, that would only be applicable to those machines running Windows Desktops, especially if Microsoft is manufacturing this "Forensic Device".

In the unix/linux world things become exponentialy more complex as, any one system can be unique.

Windows has a layered technlogy (core device to operating system to API to application). This layered technology ensures that, while you could have a vast array of different devices and manufacturers products, ie., network cards, the API and application layers ensure that the Application level of actually ESTABLISHING an internet connection, along with it's associated packets travel through the same DEVICE layer library. With this methodology, one need only scour the "hidden" or "backdoor" entries that a Microsoft can develop within that device layer and pull the applicable entries quickly. A single repository if you will.

Unix or Linux is not quite a simple as, with the suite of Open Source device drivers, Open Source Applications coupled with the array of different devices, each machine could take hours to scour for what it is you're truly looking for.

Just my $.02

AB1

P.S. Great post by the way.... Starred and Flagged

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChadAndrewATS
reply to post by FaxMachine

I understand you. Americans are not fools. We know a lot, and we enjoy learning more. Anyway, I see what you mean about your software & computer. Do you think it would be secure enough to protect your laptop-files from being stolen if this device (mentioned below) was inserted in it (?):

Microsoft device helps police pluck evidence from cyberscene of crime

Microsoft has developed a small plug-in device that investigators can use to quickly extract forensic data from computers that may have been used in crimes.

The COFEE, which stands for Computer Online Forensic Evidence Extractor, is a USB "thumb drive" that was quietly distributed to a handful of law-enforcement agencies last June. Microsoft General Counsel Brad Smith described its use to the 350 law-enforcement experts attending a company conference Monday.

The device contains 150 commands that can dramatically cut the time it takes to gather digital evidence, which is becoming more important in real-world crime, as well as cybercrime. It can decrypt passwords and analyze a computer's Internet activity, as well as data stored in the computer.

It also eliminates the need to seize a computer itself, which typically involves disconnecting from a network, turning off the power and potentially losing data. Instead, the investigator can scan for evidence on site.

More than 2,000 officers in 15 countries, including Poland, the Philippines, Germany, New Zealand and the United States, are using the device, which Microsoft provides free.

"These are things that we invest substantial resources in, but not from the perspective of selling to make money," Smith said in an interview. "We're doing this to help ensure that the Internet stays safe."

People there are utterly idiotic, thank god there are few smart ones there that see what is coming.

You shouldn't insult any nation. There are more than a few smart people in this country. There is a very long list of important things discovered/invented in America (see sample list below):

1. Constitution
2. Automobile
3. Plane
4. Telephone
5. Radio
6. Television
7. Computer
8. Internet

(and the list goes on...).

i dont think america invented anything on your list......lol

[edit on 1-5-2008 by fatdad]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
3. Plane: I'm assuming you mean Airplane. Yes, I'll give it to Orville and Wilbur.

[edit on 1-5-2008 by kelbtalfenek]

first powered flight maybe and thats in doubt..but inventing the plane never...

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ChadAndrewATS

You should have mentioned the cotton gin and peanut butter, at least those were invented in the US.

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
While the 'who invented what' subset of this debate is interesting, forgive me if I don't participate (no offense intended).

The whole premise of 'auditing' you personal electronic luggage is flawed. Regardless of whether or not there is a credible threat that the equipment itself can be an instrument of terror, the courts have simply 'recolored' the law to further erode objections available to the 'presumed guilty' which is the entire problem with the 'war on terror.' It seems that lacking any information regarding a traveler, the government wants to codify treating him or her as a terrorist - no longer presuming innocence, nor recognizing any obligation to respect the 'would-be' innocent traveler's 'expectation' of human rights.

[edit on 1-5-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by voodoomaster2008
Please do research before assuming America is the creator of all things civilized.

Actually, I didn't tell you & others that Americans are the creator of anything. Do more research before you make more false-accusations. I told the public (including you) what people in America have discovered and/or invented.

I didn't claim that Americans were the 1st to invent, anything.

If you misread what I wrote about Americans, again, that's another 1 of your faults, not mine. Try not to be anti-truth & anti-american at the same time.

reply to post by fatdad

That's either because you don't want to believe the truth or you misread what was written in that post, as did "voodoomaster" (a master of misreading my posts).

posted on May, 1 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

I see what you mean. Thanks for teaching me about that operating system & the advanced security-features in it.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join