It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wesley Snipes to Serve 3 Years

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Molest a kid for three years get 90 days probation, Dont pay taxes a couple years get 3 years...it just goes to show you how fuster clucked our government and system of law is. These were misdemeanors and what bugs me is the quote "albeit they are misdemeanors these are serious crimes" basically saying I dont care that they are misdemeanors in my eyes they are more serious take this...judges are supposed to uphold the law and punish in accordingly. This is gross and I hope he appeals and wins.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Well - at least he does not have to worry about people messing with him in prison. He is Blade for crying out loud. I bet he would put some serious hurt onto anyone who messed with him. That dude can fight!

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Wesley Snipes is a great actor, but he's made millions and should pay his fair share of taxes like everyone else, or at least get a lawyer smart enough to get him off.

He's not the only celebrity that the IRS has gone after either. Willie Nelson has come under attack by the IRS as well as the comedy team of Abbott & Costello in the 50's who both died broke.

I wonder if they'll sell off Wesley Snipes private assets at public auction too..

[edit on 4/25/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I'm not sure if anyone remembers, or if this is now beside the point on this thread, but direct unapportioned taxation of labor is unconstitutional. So his 'fair share' would be zero (0) dollars.

Also, his sentence warrants appeal because of the blatantly prejudicial stance the judge took (verbally in his capacity as judge) on Mr. Snipe's "attitude" which is NOT subject to the judge's whimsy to accept or appreciate. This is, in fact, an incredible show of governmental bravado considering that Mr. Snipes was not convicted of the so-called "charges" brought against him.

Unless he and his attorney agreed to the 'misdemeanors' in the way of a plea bargain - there is a problem in the execution of this trial. Not that ANY authority would ever voluntarily dispute the almighty judge.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Under what law was he sentenced? What precedent or code?

I've seen it written thousands of times on this board that there is no actual law forcing people to pay taxes - is this just a bold-faced lie?

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet
To many celebraties have this attitude that they do not have to do what the rest of America (or the world for that matter) does because they are put on such a pedastal.

I wonder what the Bush's pay in taxes?

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
but he's made millions and should pay his fair share of taxes like everyone else,

Who cares how much he makes?
My guess is all those who are jealous of it and bitter at the fact he makes more in one movie then they will in their lifetime, Most people seem so bitter over this guy because hes rich and they think he should pay like the rest of us, NO We shouldnt be paying either.

Rich or poor, Taxes on ones own property isn't a fair share, Income taxes, Property taxes and the like, Are slave taxes, Don't pay up you loose that property or your freedom...

One was never meant to pay to remain free, Its contrary to the founding beliefs of this country, We all pay indirect taxes every day, be it Sales Tax, Tobacco Tax, Alcohol Tax, Various License Taxes, Various Communications Taxes, Various Toll and tunnel taxes, etc, etc, etc.

These taxes are what makes your world go round.

Income taxes serve no purpose other then making fat cats richer and us poorer and dependent on a system designed to screw us over.

This is not the free country our founders dreamed of, One who buys his own land, Fishes of off it, Hunts off of it, Farms and grows crops on it, Drinks form the well on it, Builds his home from the trees on it, etc, etc, etc, and has no use nor desire for Government, cannot be left alone, He still must pay property tax even though, hes completely self sufficient and unreliant on this Government, And if he doesn't pay this tax on his property, he looses his freedom.

He's forced to maintain a job and be dependent on a system he doesn't need to survive, he lives off his own land he doesn't need federal reserve notes... Simply to keep his? land, while at the same time paying income taxes... hes not free, hes a slave.

America, Land of the obedient sheep, And blind patriots.

[edit on 25-4-2008 by C0le]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I think this is nothing more than the government keeping a brother down.

Willie Nelson owed more and the IRS auctioned off everything he had but let him walk....

O.J. Simpson, the comedian Sinbad, Dionne Warwick all reportedly owe back taxes. O.J. will be going to prison for other reasons, but what of the other two.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President and Mrs. George W. Bush reported taxable income of $719, 274 for the tax year 2007 and paid $221,635 in federal income taxes, the White House said Friday.

www.cnn.com...

That's 30.8 percent of their claimed income. Now, who in their right mind believes that they paid almost 31 percent of their income into taxes?

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Who in their right mind believes they only made $719,274 between the two of them? They have to have some secondary income hidden for sure.

[edit on 25-4-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by C0le

I'm not jealous of what he earns, but he still needs to pay his taxes. Maybe there isn't a legal reason we should pay taxes, but there are practical ones.

Somebody has to pay for the defense of the country and the maintenance of the infrastructure. If it were on a totally voluntary system, the US would be like a third World country. Nobody would want to contribute, but would feel entitled to the use the things paid for with others civic-minded individuals money.

For bad or worse, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
reply to post by C0le

I'm not jealous of what he earns, but he still needs to pay his taxes. Maybe there isn't a legal reason we should pay taxes, but there are practical ones.

Somebody has to pay for the defense of the country and the maintenance of the infrastructure. If it were on a totally voluntary system, the US would be like a third World country. Nobody would want to contribute, but would feel entitled to the use the things paid for with others civic-minded individuals money.

For bad or worse, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Nearly all of the things that make this country run are payed for via indirect taxes, We all like our TV's our Computers our Phones ect, Now if we decide we no longer want them, We cant be taxed for them or there services, It was part of our original power, If We don't like where the country is headed, we simply stop spending our money, and make personal sacrifices, the gov will listen REALLY fast when that steady check stops coming in...

But we don't have that power anymore, they tax not only indirectly, but directly, so even if we stop spending our money, our checks are still taxed and there isn't much we can do about it...

The Income Tax pays for a continuous never ending debt thats the result of interest and overspending, This debt can never be repaid, its also contributing to the devaluation of our dollar every time it drops, they pump more notes into the economy, at interest and devaluing the dollar even more... It's an endless cycle that can only stop if the Government stops spending money it doesn't have.

Writing essentially blanks check towards god knows what hasn't helped this country, its hurt it a lot...

the only way to change it is as stated above, don't spend money we don't have, If we need something thats fine, instead of spending trillions on failed and poorly thought out projects, they'd think long and hard and get it right the first time, as it is now, those who write the checks to these contractors are generally good budies with the owners of these contracting companies, The powerful leaders in our Government, basically give away contracts to there buddies making the rich richer... at our expense.

Its complete crap and the funny part is, Most Americans are to damn stupid to figure it out, They are being screwed over right before there eyes and they are are happy about it...

This same Government plays the Good American Patriot card and has all the sheep waving flags felling good about themselves, while this same Government is laughing its ass off at the sheep stupidity.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
OMG thats insane about the bushes making only 700k, more like 700mil ... No way in hewtoothpicks! They must say that because they too are avoiding paying tax on what they really make.

One important point that was brought up in a previous post was the responsibility of Snipes CPA. I just do not understand why he chose to cover him by saying he is just a creative, artistic, spiritual type? As if that is going to fly in a court of law.

I appreciate all of the wise comments and get kind of a sinking feeling from reading the direction our tax laws are headed. Does anyone what happened to the word on the IRS being abolished? And what of the new face of the IRS? Friendly and approachable?

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620

I've seen it written thousands of times on this board that there is no actual law forcing people to pay taxes - is this just a bold-faced lie?

Anyone?

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Still to this day there is no law that says we have to pay taxes. They say it's our obligations. We pay taxes out of the check we get from work. Then we pay taxes when we spend our hard earned money. The fair tax would take care of all of the BS with taxes but no one is willing to adopt it and change this country ( America) around.

Now Amendment 16 of the Constitution says"

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.
."Source

There may not be a law in the books but the constitution clearly states that we have to pay.

[edit on 4/25/2008 by Solarskye]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620

TWO IMPORTANT PROVISOS

1) You don't know me from Adam, so I can safely say you have no reason to take me at my word;

2) I file and pay my taxes and strongly urge you to do the same; These people are utterly without a sense of humor regarding what they have come to call 'their' money;

Having said that:

There is no law stating that you, Mr. or Ms. American Citizen, owe tax on the fruits of your labor (income tax). In fact, in several cases 'settled,' the recurring defendant query (which went unanswered) was "Show me the law." It has never been produced in court, and I suspect, it can't be because it simply doesn't exist.

What seems more damning still is the known existence of a constitutionally established LAW specifically prohibiting unapportioned direct taxation of a citizens labor. This has been constitutionally tested about 6 or 7 times and has always been held as true.

In further evidence of the abuse of the apparent 'tax-evasion' scam run by the IRS, is the fact that the alleged ratification of the 16th so-called amendment may very well have been an act of fraud by a few key players within the body politic, and that fraud has gone unchallenged by those who stated duty is to 'protect' the constitution from such manipulation. To this day the governments own website STILL reflects wrongly that the sates ratified the amendment - but the actual state tallies of votes, held in archive, shows otherwise. No amount of calling for a review of this discrepancy has moved the government to 'review' this matter. (In fact, several citizen-organizations have sought 'redress' from the government on this matter only to be rebuffed because, as talented as their lawyers were, they failed to appreciate the 'non-governmental/corporate' status of the IRS/FED protects them from this vehicle demanding such disclosure.)

In furtherance of the illusion, the privately-owned corporation going under the corporate name "Internal Revenue Service" (headquartered in Puerto Rico - a territorial commonwealth - not a state) has established an ENORMOUS convoluted catalog of what they called 'TAX CODES' which which they frequently refer to as justification for their actions against citizens. NONE (as in not one) of these are LAWS. Many a resistors mistake is attempting to base a defense around this 'code').

The underlying truth of the necessity of these 'income taxes' seems to be made evident by their disposition - nearly 100% is used to repay interest on (fiat) money borrowed from ANOTHER privately owned corporation, calling itself the "Federal Reserve Bank' (headquartered in Washington DC, another non-state).

Some conspiracy theorists contend that the IRS is simply the strong arm collection agency of the Fed. Some say that their presence 'outside' regular state jurisdictions is a another indicator of the nature of the 'scam.' Note that you will not be tried for offenses against the IRS in anything other than 'Maritime Law' Courts which operate not under Federal Law, but Universal Commercial Code - an interesting distinction, affecting your rights and privileges.

Anyway this could go on and on. But I think there's enough here for the enterprising netizen to research on their own...,

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I think we need taxes, but at the same time Mr. Snipes was treated unfairly and unjustly. I hope he puts his time in prison to good use researching and studying. Maybe he'll write a book and help galvanize some kind of tax reform movement. We need tax reform. The system is about as insane as market speculation.

[edit on 25/4/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Thanks.

Obviously there's no hard evidence you can bring to the table, because if there is no law, there's no law for you to cite.

So I will continue to pay my taxes, but with the belief that it's an option (until someone shows otherwise).

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solarskye

The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes on incomes, from whatever source derived, without apportionment among the several States, and without regard to any census or enumeration.

Interesting how people scream and yell about the Constitution until they find a part they don't like. Thanks for posting that, I was going to look it up.

The Constitution is the law, is it not? Congress has the power, granted by this Amendment, it is therefore lawful.

When a poor working person can't pay, they have my utmost sympathy. The problem is that the bottom 40% of wage earners do not pay any income taxes now. None.

Property taxes are not related to this but I agree they need to go away. You can not own something that is taxed. We do not have private land ownership in the US. It is a myth. If you can't pay for one to three years, depending on the State, you loose those 20 or 30 years of interest payments and someone gets to buy it at auction for a fraction of its value. It is a product of the extreme Liberal view of the re-distribution of wealth. Sadly this is happening mainly to the elderly.

As to this rich celebrity not wanting to pay into the system that made his wealth possible?

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Yeah the real problem is the tax codes. I feel the government has used and abused them for to long and it is time for a change. I'm all for the fair tax "HR25" and feel it is the solution but I'm not gonna say anymore about it here except to say read it. It's a shame that our constitution is ten times thinner as a book than our tax codes.

[edit on 4/25/2008 by Solarskye]

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join