It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wesley Snipes to Serve 3 Years

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Wesley Snipes to Serve 3 Years

movies.yahoo.com

But U.S. District Judge William Terrell Hodges said Snipes exhibited a "history of contempt over a period of time" for U.S. tax laws, and granted prosecutors the three year sentence they requested one year for each of Snipes' convictions of willfully failing to file a tax return.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
SNIPES BEATS THE FEDS: Found Not Guilty of Tax Evasion; Guilty of 3 Misdemeanors
american tax payers might be interested in this

[edit on 24-4-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
What bothers me about this is the fact that the courts seem to be making a broader statement about what is becoming deemed criminal behavior.

movies.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod-spelling-edit

[edit on 24-4-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
From BBC:
news.bbc.co.uk...

Was Snipes a Tax evader or Protester?
en.wikipedia.org...

Some Famous FBI Files on Tax evasion cases:
www.fbi.gov...

Title 26 U.S. Code:
www.law.cornell.edu...

[edit on 24-4-2008 by antar]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Three years for taxes!

Does that include the supposed voluntary taxes we are forced to pay the IRS?

Seems a little harsh to me.

Looks like they are trying to make an example of him, they do know this ain't Hollywood don't they?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by xSMOKING_GUNx

That's what I thought too, can you imagine the amount of tax he has paid on all of the items, homes automobiles and extras? Taxes should be pay as you go not the scam it is and always has been, we are wiser right? We have grown as an aware generation right?
Can you imagine the amount of tax revenue his "Blade ' series has brought in?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   

"I am an idealistic, naive, passionate, truth-seeking, spiritually motivated artist, unschooled in the science of law and finance," Snipes said.

This was a laugh-out-loud part for me. Sounds like something Id like to say next time the IRS confronts me

(Not to defer from the serious tone of your thread though!)

[edit on 25-4-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Now we shall see who in Hollywood will find a way to capitalize on this. How many 'talk shows' would dare touch this subject? How might we be enticed to 'ignore' this? Will the FED get it's way, will tax evasion, or even resistance, become the new financial 'terrorism' of the day. Lord knows we have enough detention centers to accommodate the throngs of American who dare make the request: 'Show me the Law?'

[edit on 24-4-2008 by Maxmars]

[edit on 24-4-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
The simple fact is they do make examples out of celebrities when taxes are involved.

Read the book, "The bridge across forever" by Richard Bach to get a lesson on the subject. He owed the IRS a million dollars and told them he'd pay it out, he'd have the money. They forced him into bankruptcy anyway simply because he was a well known author. Since he was being forced into bankruptcy, he quit writing and spent all the money he could fighting to save forests in the northwest U.S. It's a really bizarre story, at least the tax angle on it.

I suppose sometimes fame can be a burden as well as a blessing.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
The simple fact is they do make examples out of celebrities when taxes are involved.

Read the book, "The bridge across forever" by Richard Bach to get a lesson on the subject. He owed the IRS a million dollars and told them he'd pay it out, he'd have the money. They forced him into bankruptcy anyway simply because he was a well known author. Since he was being forced into bankruptcy, he quit writing and spent all the money he could fighting to save forests in the northwest U.S. It's a really bizarre story, at least the tax angle on it.

I suppose sometimes fame can be a burden as well as a blessing.

You got that last part right. Thing is: like any celebrity, he probably has his own acountant whose job is to make darn sure he pays his taxes on time (and avoids as many as legally possible) - I just can't figure out what his acountant was thinking?? My guess is he's now Wesley's EX-acountant!!

J.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

The Richard Bach reference is a great example if anyone has read his work.

He is also a great example of making the most out of this short life we are privaleged!

PS mrwupy. notice my signature is from Jonathan Livingston Seagul?

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimbo999
My guess is he's now Wesley's EX-acountant!!

My guess he will be an ex-something if Snipes indeed has to serve a full three years.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I guess you are right, I do recall Willie Nelson and the problems he faced.

www.taxfables.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by xSMOKING_GUNx

PS mrwupy. notice my signature is from Jonathan Livingston Seagul?

Jonathon Livingston Seagull is one of my favorite books. I've read it many times.

I hope Wesley Snipes reads it while in prison. I'm sure he'll get as much insight from it as I have.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
I guess you are right, I do recall Willie Nelson and the problems he faced.

www.taxfables.com...

A subtle, comical, yet seriously fitting article.

I am glad I read it.
nice find.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Mine too! we should have a whip around, see if we can scrape enough cash together to send him a copy......

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Not paying taxes has always been a serious matter and Snipes was well aware of that. He told employees of his not to pay taxes.

He has millions and is boasting about paying taxes. The rest of us has to, because he is rich, doesn't mean he is more privelaged.

To many celebraties have this attitude that they do not have to do what the rest of America (or the world for that matter) does because they are put on such a pedastal.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

LOL.. mm.. I will try that next time as well except they may come back and say something like ohhhh I don't know "aren't you a financial advisory?" .. Doh! Then I will be pleading to keep my license..

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Many famous people have deliberately evaded taxes. Snipes was acquitted of those charges! He was found guilty on three misdemeanor charges. AND he is still compelled to pay. So the judge decides to give him 3 years because of what he determines as a "history of contempt over a period of time"?!! What the ---- does that mean? Folks who intentionally evade WITHOUT the belief that they do not have to pay taxes get to stay free, and those who do believe so have to serve time? That is b-------!

Probably folks are trying not to bring this up: Wesley Snipes is being portrayed as a tax protester. Being that he is famous, rich, and Black makes it all the more important for the IRS to can him to avoid what it would mean if he were to remain free and become symbolic to a wide cross-section of the populace of the United States. Before he becomes a symbol to folks regardless of economic standing, racial identity, or cultural background. The Federal prosecutors have clearly stated that they intended to make an example out of Snipes, when historically they have let even the most egregious tax evaders remain free.

This is Problem/Reaction/Solution at its finest. Problem = Snipes hasn't paid taxes. Reaction = IRS takes him to trial; Snipes is acquitted on the most serious charges, thus delivering to the Feds a black eye; Snipes gains widespread public support following the trial. Solution = Box him up along with other prisoners to send the message that Snipes is nothing but convicted felon just like all other Blacks who serve time, even though Snipes has just three misdemeanor charges against him.

Hell yes, I'm jumping on the bandwagon. This case is nothing but well calculated mind control. Blacks can't be seen being favored by Federal prosecutors, the law, and judges. Tax protesters cannot be seen as having valid arguments which would will prevail under law and jury. Americans cannot be allowed to understand that they can in force topple the IRS by asserting their rights and privileges that are inherently protected by the US Constitution.

Meanwhile, Lewis Libby was convicted on FOUR of FIVE FELONY charges which basically amounted to TREASON. And what did he get? "He was sentenced to thirty months in prison and fined $250,000.", when he should have been sentenced to death! What did Libby in actuality receive? "The sentence was commuted in June 2007 by President Bush, voiding the prison term."

At this point I have advised myself to bite my tongue.

Source of quotes ref. US v. Libby.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Areal51

Not only is he black famous and rich, but maybe this kinda stuff hasnt helped any

n the late 90s, Snipes and his brother started a security firm called the Royal Guard of Amen-Ra dedicated to providing VIPs with bodyguards trained in law enforcement, military, and martial arts.[2]

In 2000, the business was investigated for alleged ties to an extremist religious cult called the United Nuwaubian Nation of Moors. It turns out that Snipes had spotted 200 acres of land with the intention to buy and use for his business academy, which were close to the aforementioned religious cult compound in Putnam County, Georgia. Both Snipes's business and the religious cult had Egyptian motifs as their symbols, which prompted people to hypothesize ties between them.[3]

Snipes and his brother ended up not buying the land and established their company in Florida and Antigua, while the religious cult compound was raided in 2002 and their leader convicted.[4]

snipes and york

[edit to add link]

[edit on 24-4-2008 by P-a-r-a-d-o-X-2]

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by P-a-r-a-d-o-X-2

I don't know what it is that you find funny.

The they all look alike and therefore act alike profiling of Blacks by law enforcement?

Or, what?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join