It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO smashes through roof of NZ home: Can you help identify what this object is?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GideonHM

Now this is quite plausible. Or maybe not because the website only shows bits. Hmm.

In my research for the true answer, it was all I ran into. No breaking new's, other than the incident at hand and there was very little about actual parts and pictures to give creadence to the plausibility of it being a possible aircraft part.

As for the poster that seem's to think this is an RC part, this must be one heck of an RC vehicle. Either that or I have'nt been watching the local RC parks close enough for the monster that this part would require.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Allred5923
reply to post by GideonHM

As for the poster that seem's to think this is an RC part, this must be one heck of an RC vehicle. Either that or I have'nt been watching the local RC parks close enough for the monster that this part would require.

Well the object is in fact quite small. The reason it punched such a massive hole in the ceiling is because it was heavy, dense, and moving fast.

The object itself is only 11cm long by 4.5cm wide, as shown in comparison with the pen.

Also though I think that Havalon's theory might well be correct. But I think it's highly likely this was a part from an RC plane. If you check the link I posted to where the image you and I both posted came from, you'll see it is a massive machine. Not a kids toy. Definitely an adults toy

-WFA

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   

This is definitely a henge from the door of a cargo container. I seen them all day long when I worked at the shipyard near my hometown. They brake when they get old. This is probably one that was in transport for repair or headed for the scrap yard.

Must have fell off a Cargo plane.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Alien Abduct

Hi Alien Abduct,
Whilst I like your theory as to what it is, (nice enhancement btw
)

I am not sure about it falling from a cargo plane. If there was a 'breach' in the airframe or a door open during flight, then it would/could have dropped the rest, or more of its cargo, (it would have rained scrap metal everywhere along the flight path.)

I do like the container hinge though. Just how it got enough height to obtain maximum velocity (without somebody noticing) is still a mystery at the moment!

Thanks for the post.
H

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Done a little digging.

If the imprinted script reads "Asbury", then it could have a connection to this company:

www.metcast.com...

who do the following:

MetCast Services Limited is the leading supplier of quality goods and services to the New Zealand Foundry industry concentrating on adding value through technical expertise in methoding, metallurgy, quality systems and general foundry engineering.

and on this page:

www.metcast.com...

they have this entry under their product directory:

Recarburiser...Asbury

The only problem is that this company are several miles from Whakatu, Hastings. They produce recarburizers, which as far as I can tell are to do with carbon recycling. Could be something to do with a foundry.

Closest I've gotten so far...Very tired so it's over to you guys.

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
If you ask me, its the clams that hold the brakes on a car, inside the wheels.. Its thousands of different types, but here is one of them ..

Edit, come to think of it .. i think i have seen theese on chains that lift heavy duty.

[edit on 23-4-2008 by tep200377]

posted on Apr, 23 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
After some searching on the web the only remotely viable match I could find for SPURY is a Chinese manufacturer called SPURY SHANGHAI CO.,LTD.

What they manufacture or supply I have been unable to ascertain so it may just be a red herring.

www.china-ipc.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Further to my last post, I stuck to the theme of this piece of cast iron having the name "Asbury" imprinted on it. See my research above to catch up.

The mention of recarburiser (which I know belive should be spelt with Z)

To increase the carbon content of molten cast iron or steel by adding carbonaceous material, high-carbon pig iron, or a high-carbon alloy b. To carburize a metal part to return surface carbon lost in processin.

www.websters-online-dictionary.org...

Lead me to do loads of searching for foundries in and around the Whakatu area. Seems like I'm not the only one going down this road...

Police trying to identify a metal object that crashed through a house roof near Hastings are now checking with local engineering firms.

www.stuff.co.nz...

Searched for industrial accidents, foundry explosion etc., but nothing turned up.

The mystery continues...

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havalon

Hi Alien Abduct,
Whilst I like your theory as to what it is, (nice enhancement btw
)

I am not sure about it falling from a cargo plane. If there was a 'breach' in the airframe or a door open during flight, then it would/could have dropped the rest, or more of its cargo, (it would have rained scrap metal everywhere along the flight path.)

I do like the container hinge though. Just how it got enough height to obtain maximum velocity (without somebody noticing) is still a mystery at the moment!

Thanks for the post.
H

It is a henge from a cargo container. I used to work with them everyday.

Oh, and military cargo planes are built to fly with the back door open

CASE CLOSED

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The problem I have with most of the suggestions thus far is the unsuitability of cast iron for the proposed applications. That this object appears to be of cast iron is shown by its fractured end. Cast iron is very brittle and lacks the tensile strength that conventional steel displays. Very high carbon/high speed steels can also be brittle but such objects are invariable highly machined to fine tolerances. This object appears to be a simple casting. To suggest it is part of a complex engineered assembly such as an engine, or where high strength is required, seems highly unlikely. Cast iron is used for objects that don't have to do very much work, such as ballasts, weights and decorative things.

Another aspect of the discussion concerns the speed this object must have needed to create the reported damage. However, the need for 'terminal velocity' is I believe completely misleading and irrelevant. The object weighs around a kilogram according to the report. It is therefore quite capable of punching a hole through a ceiling if dropped from a relatively low height. By that I mean from lower than an orbiting satellite and indeed lower than a typical aircraft. The big issue really is what did it actually penetrate?

We are told that it punched a hole through a house roof. Unfortunately we aren't told anything about the roof itself. Everyone seems to assume it has to be a concrete tiled roof, but it may have been much less robust. The fractured end of the object as shown in one of the photos seems to bear a remnant of a red/orange fibrous material. Could this be part of the roof? Could it possibly be a red shingle roof? Did the object fracture as it struck the roof? All this seems likely to me and suggests we should be searching for a far more mundane explanation than bits dropping from aeroplanes.

WG3

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I am less than convinced by the cargo container hinge explaination.

Useing your posted image which I admit is low res I have blown up the area of the hinge.

What it looks like to me is welding has been used to attach the hinge to the door.

If we look at the image of the object as originally posted there does not seem to be any evidence of welding used, this would be particularly noticeable around the edges as a break along approx half its perimeter.

If the example you have posted is typical of these hinges than the shape does not match and there are no cutouts at either end as in the object.

My gut feeling is for some kind of counter balance or mass balance weight and the 2 holes would be the mounting points.

Because of the reduced thickness at these points the structural loading can not be to high so I would discount anything that rotates fast as the centrifugal forces would promote failure.

Clearly one side is broken so did this happen on impact or when the object was launched.

To be honest that probably is not that important as the idea here is to identify the object.

Peace

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I would postulate that the red fibrous material shown on the broken end of the object is Corning Insulation. The type advertised by the Pink Panther cartoon character. It is used in attics in layers to retain temperature.

Judging by the pictures earlier in the thread of the inside of the house, it doesn't appear to show the roof, but the overall style of the ceiling suggests a modest structure such as would have a shingle and board roof with a thin interior ceiling. Provided the object hit at a seam area where a board roof is weakest, and missed rafters and stringers, then velocity requirements would seem to be fairly low.

Just as a guess, I wold think that the kinetic energy required by a 1 to 11/2 pound block to do this damage could be obtained in as little as 200 feet of hight. I judge this from having spent some youthful years working the derrick on an oil rig. A wrench dropped from the top,about 100 feet, has a lot of thump when it hits.

Just opinions, nothing concrete to go on here.

posted on Apr, 24 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by sherpa

Most henge's are not wilded for maintenance purposes.

Also, these henge's come in various styles but they all retain the same basic shape.

[edit on 4/24/2008 by Alien Abduct]

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by battlestargalactica I agree . It looks like a brake caliper of some sort . Definetly not from outer space !

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
What does any of this have to do with aliens/ufos? I realize the object technically is a "ufo" but so are millions of earth objects around us each day... in my opinion the object is obviously terrestrial and human made and has nothing to do with this forums relationship between "ufos and aliens". Since when did ATS become a mundane mechanical parts identifier forum?

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by hiii_98

Your right it has already been identified as a henge from a cargo container so its not a UFO.

Maybe it should be in the 'Alternative Breaking News' section?

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alien Abduct
reply to post by hiii_98

Your right it has already been identified as a henge from a cargo container so its not a UFO.

Maybe it should be in the 'Alternative Breaking News' section?

I also have worked with these type of containers before and will have to disagree with your assesment.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Well I thought I would entertain this one more time just for the hell of it.

Below are five different designs that are supplied for cargo container repair :

www.shhaihang.com...HINGE%20BLADE

If we compare the first image with your hinge I think we have a match.

Clearly non of them look like the object.

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by hiii_98
What does any of this have to do with aliens/ufos? I realize the object technically is a "ufo" but so are millions of earth objects around us each day... in my opinion the object is obviously terrestrial and human made and has nothing to do with this forums relationship between "ufos and aliens". Since when did ATS become a mundane mechanical parts identifier forum?

Yes I know the op was a little tenuous I have to admit but the object although terrestrial piqued my curiosity.

Why ?..because you never know when a machine is going to break and hurl a lethal chunk of metal in your direction.

I would like to know what that machine is just so I can give it a wide birth

posted on Apr, 25 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sherpa

You got me Sherpa, good work finding those henge pictures.

I just made it all up.

Just trying to have a little fun and get people searching

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join