It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World Population to Hit 6,666,666,666 in May

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
To many people, this means nothing. But of course 666 refers to the Beast in the Bible. Heaven knows what ten sixes means.

I don’t know who first noticed this looming numerical curiosity, but it was mentioned today on the Drudge report. To see the projection, go to the U.S. Census Bureau’s World POPClock Projection page. There you’ll find these projections among others:

U.S. Census Bureau's World POP Clock Projection

05/01/08 6,664,737,085
06/01/08 6,671,275,141

So sometime in between May 1 and June 1, the gaggle-of-sixes milestone will be passed. (I say gaggle rather than googol, which is a 1 followed by 100 zeros. I could also have used a gazillion or a jillion or a bazillion, all of which are just figures of speech meaning “a lot.” Clearly, the number of people on Earth is a lot more than umpteen.)

The Census Bureau of course never knows exactly how many people are on the planet, or even in the United States for that matter. It’s all estimates. Just fun.

The last big “six scare” was 06/06/06 (June 6, 2006). We survived that, so I imagine we’ll get through this one.

(For the record, 07/07/07 came and went last year without any documented cases of extreme luck directly attributed to the date, and coming up later this year: 08/08/08.)

www.livescience.com...

I never quite believed this 666 mumbo jumbo. But, for all that do I'm sure you'll have a field day. Enjoy.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
In any case, I'm certain that this "milestone" will only be realized for a fraction of a second before we are on to bigger and better things...

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Taken into accoun the inaccuracy and unreliability of most of the statistics in especially the third and second world, AND the illegals in the Developed world, we might have passed this milestone some time ago

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Just pointing out the above page source was a little off maybe...

www.census.gov is the source by the OP -- and todays figure 4/17/08 @ 10:05am -- 6,661,908,282

Secondary source I just ran into www.poodwaddle.com/worldclock is listing a running figure on MANY categories there -- and @ 10:13am, the figure is -- 6,666,561,000 -- this one will hit your gaggle of 6's probably before May1

However, certainly take into account what IchiNiSan said above.

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Many people are hided in the darkness from official census. And many are dying while many are being born. So the number is meaningless in my opinion.
But , it's still a good reason to celebrate ~

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Estimation, approximation, guess-timation...whatever the case may be, it's almost certainly not exact. Counters like that are meant to merely put things in perspective, to give you a greater sense of the current state of the world.

If you're a fan of numbers and statistcs, refer to the link in my signature for a more detailed, however approximate numeric representation of our world.

Here's the link (if I ever change my signature):

www.peterrussell.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Holy cow!!!
The world's gonna end!
Let's all go hide in our wine cellars!
lol seriously though.
That is a hell of a lot of people.
Human civilisations all over the world may have to rethink about how they run things otherwise how is everyone going to be provided for?
We've already got enough poverty and hunger on this planet more is not what we need.

new topics

top topics

join