It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Day of Silence: The Right Idea for the Wrong Reason

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I wonder if the article below is pointing to a conspiracy in the education system to promote the homosexual agenda on a national scale.

Complete Article The Day of Silence: The Right Idea for the Wrong Reason

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
"Homosexual agenda" - I know its a commonly used catch phrase in some circles, but just what is it supposed to be, anyhow?
I get the impression that you see it as something pretty sinister, for sure.
I need educating.
The article seems to suggest it is not OK to memorialize a horrific modern day crime, merely because the victim was gay?
Is your "agenda" here not just one more attempt to legitimize violence against people who are born gay?
At any rate the author would bury or hide the issue of violence against people who are gay under the general cloak of discrimination.
A young boy's life was lost to anti-gay violence. Any attempt to hide from that truth is despicable!

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
8th grade?
Wow, what is that, like 13 years old? I sure knew EVERYTHING by then. And our society sure as heck does NOT GLORIFY homosexuality. Yeah, in another dimension maybe. People aren't comfortable with hetero and we explect them to act differently toward to opposite?

Day of silence?

How about a day of silence for this society not having a set? Catering to every single wack-a-doo group on the planet. I was bullied; I was harassed. Weren't we all, weren't . . .we. . .all.

I understand what they want this to be but they do not understand that it will never happen. I guess this will come off all wrong but I have never and will never walk on pins and needles out of fear of hurting someones feelings for saying something that offends them.

But 8th grade? And these kids are 100% sure that they are gay? Okay, yeah.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

Perhaps i just don't get it then. maybe you should educate me. Why is the discrimination of the homosexual community any more important that what happened to Afro-Americans, Indians, Mexicans, or for that matter the growing discrimination against the european white male?

i don't think it is. As the article writer said any rational thinker would want to know why this group wants to focus on one narrow aspect of the borad problem of discrimination. I know I do.

Why has there never been a day, or even a hour, or a minute held up for recognition of the Indians that were killed when we exposed them to smallpox intentionally in the first case of biological warfare in their culture. Is this any less of a tradegy than homosexuals facing abuse. I don't think so

And i think this is what the article writer was trying to point out. I know i heard it clearly.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
1. All discrimination of the sort referenced here is bad; however, taking a person's life is more than just simple discrimination. It's discrimination taken to the ultimate extreme. Its murder, and a hate crime. The threat of being murdered by a neighbor or classmate for something that harms no one, and you can do nothing about at any rate, is tantamount to torture.
2. Every person or group who regularly is discriminated against has a right to protest. No-one is saying the native Americans or blacks should be quiet, or even the whining white European male for that matter. At the same time, discrimination against many of these groups has migrated into less extreme, less violent and more subtle forms. Still wrong, but not the same as what happened to that student.
3. The situation with anti-gay violence deserves to have its own spotlight. Doing so does not mean ignoring other groups and problems.
4. While being gay is not a result of race, culture, skin color, wealth, religion. Neither is it a matter of "choice" or "lifestyle". It is a matter of birth. While not everyone knows for sure "how gay" they are (its not a black and white thing, most people have some degree of bi-sexuality for eg.) those who know they are gay know they have been that way all of their life. Its not something that happens to you suddenly one day out of the blue or because someone turned you that way. It just doesn't usually get expressed until later in life. Maybe young people coming to terms with it earlier is a good thing, if obviously not an easy thing, or always a safe thing.
5. A little compassion or attempt at understanding would go a long way here.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobafett1972
I was bullied; I was harassed. Weren't we all, weren't . . .we. . .all.

Yes, almost everybody has been bullied on one side of the scale or another, but this young man wasnt bullied, he was murdered. There is a signifigant difference there.

There is no set age to realize that you're homosexual, did you know at 13 that you were heterosexual? Probably. It's the same thing. You dont wake up one day and go "Oh! Today I think I'll decide to be GAY!" You have no control or choice over the matter, and there is no set time that you're going to realize this. You dont get to choose if you're white or if you're black, if you're short or if you're tall. You dont get to choose if you're gay or if you're straight.

And while some of you are right, there are other things going on in this world that deserve some recognition, but it's all got to start somewhere. I think this boy deserves some kind of recognition, as well as the rest of the homosexual population of this world. This was a terrible thing that happened.

As for what the author of that article says here:

"I looked for an explanation as to the meaning of "anti-LGBT" behavior and could not find one. Probably my ignorance but I would have appreciated the term being used rather than the abbreviation."

For anyone who actually doesnt know what that means, and cant seem to find out (I'm not sure why because there are LGBT groups all over the internet and I'm positive it isnt hard to find out what that abbreviation stands for) it means anti lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered.

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MissValentine

Yes, almost everybody has been bullied on one side of the scale or another, but this young man wasnt bullied, he was murdered. There is a signifigant difference there.

There is no set age to realize that you're homosexual, did you know at 13 that you were heterosexual? Probably. It's the same thing. You dont wake up one day and go "Oh! Today I think I'll decide to be GAY!" You have no control or choice over the matter, and there is no set time that you're going to realize this. You dont get to choose if you're white or if you're black, if you're short or if you're tall. You dont get to choose if you're gay or if you're straight.

And while some of you are right, there are other things going on in this world that deserve some recognition, but it's all got to start somewhere. I think this boy deserves some kind of recognition, as well as the rest of the homosexual population of this world. This was a terrible thing that happened.

Yeah ok. I was almost murdered myself as a teenager and that was 20 years ago. It was simply for that fact that I was there. Young adults can be more evil than their adult counterparts. And sorry, no at 13 I had no clue as to sexuality. Then again it wasn't broadcast in mainstream media in those days. I am not saying that it is right or wrong, who am I to judge but do not sit here and try to say that it is not a choice. It could be both. Last I checked there was not enough evidence to say that it was in the genes.

I could also think of hundreds of other people that deserve some sort of recognition. Terrible things happen everyday to everyone but we don't focus on those do we. Only the select few get to that honor I guess.

Attraction is attraction, I get that. What I do not get is why people refuse to discuss how our culture over that last 30 years slowly has started to glorify homosexuality. Yeah, I am sure that doesn't effect our youth whatsoever. I guess you never were influenced by anything as a teen.

I like how we as a society are told what we should and should not express when it comes to using the word compassion. A difference of opinion is just that: different.

[edit on 4/19/2008 by bobafett1972]

posted on Apr, 19 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by bobafett1972

"What I do not get is why people refuse to discuss how our culture over that last 30 years slowly has started to glorify homosexuality."

Now thats an overstatement if ever I heard one! Glorify? Since when?
I think society as a whole has come a long way, but I am not sure that its quite there yet. Some segments of society obviously haven't budged an inch from the old "kill them all" mentality.
We still do not know why homosexuality exists, but we do know that it occurs "naturally" everywhere, and has done so in all times.
Even tho in some societies, like the middle east it exists as an "unspoken" thing, but it exists there nevertheless.
We now understand that it is not an illness. So hey, glorify in it? I don't think so, but don't be so sad at least, and if it happens to be your situation, then make the best of it. A few may make it all the way to glorifying in it, but for the most part, I don't think so.
It doesn't matter what you are talking about, if you have a situation you can't change, then make the best of it. Non acceptance of an unchangeable thing is a recipe for anxiety, depression and being miserable.
Many people have attempted to come up with reasons to show how a little homosexuality serves some purpose in nature's plan, but who knows?
I don't think anyone would intentionally choose that kind of life, if they indeed had options. I mean just ordinary living is stress enough, who needs any extra?
Accepting it is not the same as glorifying. No matter what you think, being more positive and accepting will only help those kids trying to come to terms with it, but will in no way harm or affect in any way those who are straight. If, however, they are gay, or bi, to whatever degree, there is no way you can change that thru denial.

top topics

join