It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

William Shatner says info on Mars soon

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smugallo
I though he was trying to hint at information from the Phoenix lander as well, which is due to touch down in the polar regions of mars in about a months time.

He is probably saying that incase life does get detected and people think he is is the know hehe.

Oh and for the record, Kirk was by far the worst captain

ah well,at least he didn't send a girly "away team" Instead he got his hands dirty not like jon luc picsomeonelse

[edit on 15/4/2008 by drevill]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
GreyBasket - If you bothered to read many of the ATS threads, you'd realize that Microbial Life is also high on the agenda here. Read almost any Mars thread!

Spot on!! Shatner's been reading too many Mars threads on ATS! That's where he got all his info from!! Lol! Way to go!!

Ah, and this is what he said, "I will let you in on a little secret, that I have been told not to reveal. So I wont reveal who told me, but there is going to be new information about Mars. It wont be too long away."

Yep! What he means is that he's waiting for the next new thread on Mars here on ATS!! It won't be too long anyway!

Cheers!

[edit on 15-4-2008 by mikesingh]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Shugo

hello

it wasn't where he was i was concerned with it was his comments

all the best

david

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
lol, I can't believe ATS has come this low. Now we are discussing William Shatner here? I suppose it does all go back to star trek doesnt it? Oh well, those pesky trekkies must go on.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The Phoenix lander is due to touch down in 40 days...

External Link

Now, originally I had not expected that it will find anything beyond 'organics', but since this has been detected both inside and outside of our solar system this would hardly be any great revelation...

Hubble Detects Organic Molecule on an Extrasolar Planet

Alien life signs on AA Tauri

Titan’s surface organics surpass oil reserves on Earth

And so it would appear that the discovery of microbial life would be the next logical step...

Chloride salts on Mars may have preserved past life

Shatner's words were not news to me -- I was expecting more from his little 'secret'

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
He's a nobody in this field

He's running out of money and needs to make a buck, thats all.

Sheeesh!

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by uv777bk

hello

I dont know much about space, science etc. so hopefully you can help me, sorry if this comes across as stupid

If hubble can see so far away why dont they use it on the nearby planets?

get a good close up sot of thing take a look at the Face and all that stuff on mars?

Sorry told you i was thicker than a Rhino kebab

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by drevill

Good question, I'd love to know myself

Seems like we should point something at the cracks in the ice on Europa and see if anything surfaces for air. While we shouldn't 'expect' life of that level to exist elsewhere in the solar system, it should not be ruled out and/or ignored.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
I can't believe what i'm hearing here!

You have such a low level of respect of this man, who famously piloted the Enterprise to MANY galaxies far, far away...

He's defended the earth from klingons and vulcans and them furry things that get everywhere...

I reckon you're all just jealous cos he's been in space and you lot haven't.

Beam me up.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by drevill
I dont know much about space, science etc. so hopefully you can help me, sorry if this comes across as stupid.
If hubble can see so far away why dont they use it on the nearby planets?
get a good close up sot of thing take a look at the Face and all that stuff on mars?
Sorry told you i was thicker than a Rhino kebab

Ok, here goes...

The Hubble's primary mirror is 2.4 m wide. Not as big as many ground-based telescopes, but being in space it doesn't have to contend with the atmosphere.

Hubble's WFPC2 is the telescope's main camera. The Wide Field and Planetary Camera 2 (WFPC2) is behind most of the fantastic Hubble pictures. And by the way, it doesn't use film to record images. Instead, it collects information from stars and galaxies to make photographs with the help of four pieces of high-tech circuitry called Charge-Coupled Devices (CCDs).

That said, Hubble’s resolution is 0.06 arc-seconds. So looking at the Earth from a distance of 600 km, it can resolve objects as small as 30 cm. Looking at the Moon from 375,000 km, it can resolve objects as small as 360 m. So, sorry, you can't see those moon buggies and flags!!

And looking at Mars, 75 million km distant at conjunction, objects as small as 36 km wide can be made out. So that’s not too good to see that 'face' on Mars, what?

Cheers!

[edit on 15-4-2008 by mikesingh]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

Blimey, Mike... you certainly earned that Subject Matter Expert tag

And I think it should be pointed out that, to paraphrase Blackadder III, that I'm as thick as a whale omlette

And so we see what we're missing... a telescope that can look for extraterrestrial baby seals on Europa... now that would be one heck of a windows wallpaper

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mikesingh

ahhh cheers me owde,

still i might get my binoculars pimped up, see what ocurs

thanks

david

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
He's a nobody in this field

He's running out of money and needs to make a buck, thats all.

Sheeesh!

I must respectfully disagree with you. He stars on Boston Legal and has won two Emmy awards and one Golden Globe for the portrayal of Denny Crane. His commercials for Priceline.com are extremely successful and he's also written several sci-fi books that have made him a fair amount of coin.

William Shatner Awards

I'm just sayin'

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
To paramangle The Trek:

Damnit Jim, he's an Actor not a Scientist!

Come on, folks. It's ol' Shater. He's a great entertainer. When you citing him as evidence into anything scientific, it's probably time to give up

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
William Shatner had sex with green chicks

'nuff said!

[edit on 15-4-2008 by gauncents]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 10:53 AM
link   
If we do find life on Mars, and we send Shatner...he'll just sleep with it...

Seriously though, just sounds like empty speculation...so I'm thinking this is more to do with a new book...(like an Autobiagraphy due out next month)....

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   
I think as long as we're still having this 'Previous Life on Mars" debate, they'll never let us know what they know.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
IMO The old man has a dry- warped sense of humor, how can you not love him.

For myself I have a hard time that in this day and age people will get excited over micro crap in the dirt.

The living life that walks and communicates is just a little deeper down if they care to dig a little deeper

Moons and planets within are full of life when it is time you will see too!

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
William Shatner change the world.... or at least that is what he said.

He is one of the funniest "straight men" (Bud Abbot) type actors that there is. His ability to poke fun at himself along with his showmanship has make him the attraction that he is ... that and that he is Canadian. lol

I would suspect based on no actual knowledge that he knows someone at NASA or someone working on next months landing as if you watch the documentary "How William Shatner Changed the World" you will see just how worshiped the trek guys are by some folks at NASA.

For crying out loud .... dont say bad things about Shatner... I wont be able to sleep tonight.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Why is everyone hating on shatner? If some no name dude comes on here and says something about life in space, a lot of people jump on it and start believing him, but if someone well known like shatner says something, it's labeled as BS? He's famous, he's a celebrity and i think he deserves a bit more respect than most people give him here.

I say wait it out, be a skeptic, but who knows what will happen? Maybe he knows something, maybe he doesn't, but we don't know until the time comes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join