It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Seeks To Affirm His Patriotism

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Obama Seeks To Affirm His Patriotism

www.examiner.com

BUTTE, Mont. (Map, News) - Barack Obama wants to make something clear: He loves America.

After a series of incidents that prompted questions about his patriotism, the Democratic presidential candidate is peppering speeches with explicit statements on his love of country.

"I love this country not because it's perfect but because we've always been able to move it closer to perfection," he told an audience in North Dakota.

And in Montana: "It's a country where ... I've seen ordinary Americans find justice, where I've seen progress made for working families who need leaders who are willing to stand up and fight for them. That is the country I love."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I've never questioned Obama's patriotism. I think it's possible to say your country "could do better" from time to time and still have a genuine love for it. Some people believe a politician ought to run a flag up a pole everytime the U.S.A. is mentioned, but that sort of unquestioning loyalty which never sees a flaw is unrealistic. We live in an imperfect world, that doesn't mean we hate it.

This comes in the wake of his controversial statements about the middle class being "bitter" in some ways. It probably won't convince some people, but they're the ones who aren't going to vote for him anyway.

www.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
It seems to me that he is just trying to cover his tracks.

He's trying to make 'good' all the bad comments he's made.

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The mainstream media really spun what he said about "rural America".

The fact is, the way he said it, and what he said, showed sympathy for rural America and the poorer people of the country.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Techsnow

Where I live all the plants and textile mills have moved south to Mexico or overseas. Now the people who worked at them have jobs at McDonald's or Wal-Mart for less than half what they used to make. They hate NAFTA and CAFTA and all the free-trade agreements that have robbed them of their jobs. I think it's fair to say that some are pretty bitter. And this is the Bible belt, so faith is very important to many people here. All in all, I'd say Obama's description is pretty accurate.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sestias
I've never questioned Obama's patriotism.

You should.

The main requirement of that 'church' he's been going to for 23 years is that he be faithful to his 'true homeland of Africa'. (no mention of being true to America though
)

Being faithful to an entire continent of countries before America ... that certainly brings his patriotism into question. Put your race before your own country .. oh that's patriotic alright. :shk:

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I flagged this thread for the interesting take you have on this "story". In my opinion Obama has been responding to the attacks pretty well and he keeps coming out smelling like roses. Look at who he is running against, they both have glass houses. How much more dirt about the current administration has yet to be exposed?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I have never doubted his love or patriotism of this country. The spin of the people reporting his latest flap have never lived or worked with people from rural America. Cling is the proper word and they are armed as a large group. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with his apt description of 70% to 80% of rural Americans.

I'm a middled aged, white guy who is actually going to vote for Obama. My state is clearly Republican from the local level to congress.

I feel he is the least harmful of any candidates running. McCain is one heart beat from death. Clinton is just that...another Clinton.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
I have never doubted his love or patriotism of this country. The spin of the people reporting his latest flap have never lived or worked with people from rural America. Cling is the proper word and they are armed as a large group. I saw absolutely nothing wrong with his apt description of 70% to 80% of rural Americans.

I'm a middled aged, white guy who is actually going to vote for Obama. My state is clearly Republican from the local level to congress.

I feel he is the least harmful of any candidates running. McCain is one heart beat from death. Clinton is just that...another Clinton.

Vote for RON PAUL 2008 and be a real American and not some media fed Zombie.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
"I love this country not because it's perfect but because we've always been able to move it closer to perfection,"

Closer to perfection, tell me how?

Just because you people say so, does not mean, that statement is objective truth. Truth in our world seems subjective, and upto who is authority.

Barack obama should remember the term, objective truth. Just because some americans may believe something, does not make it absolute.

I have to say, for a person running for president, he does say some strange things. Is this what a limosine liberal says?

[edit on 4/14/2008 by andy1033]

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nailer

No one who votes for Ron Paul is a "real American." Especially someone who makes the claim if you don't vote for someone it's tantamount to treason or hating America. Of course, don't tell the brainwashed Ron Paul automatons that.

See how I flipped that around?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Techsnow
The mainstream media really spun what he said about "rural America".

The fact is, the way he said it, and what he said, showed sympathy for rural America and the poorer people of the country.

I think it showed both a sympathy and a disdain for "rural America," in a "Lord forgive them, they know not what they do." sort of way. And in light of his comments about "typical white people," it is easy to see how people would take it the wrong way. Although I will give him the benefit of the doubt, and say he just used bad wording, though he seems to be doing that a lot lately...

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

All I did is say what he could do to prove his patriotism to me.. I did not go into fine detail. just said he could end his life with a gun.. Boy talk about censorship run rampant.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaviorComplex

No one who votes for Ron Paul is a "real American." Especially someone who makes the claim if you don't vote for someone it's tantamount to treason or hating America. Of course, don't tell the brainwashed Ron Paul automatons that.

See how I flipped that around?

Ron Paul wants to keep the constitution unlike Obama he wants to abolish it .

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Ron Paul wants to keep the constitution unlike Obama he wants to abolish it .

Really now? Could you please tell us where Obama has said he wants to abolish the Constitution?

Or did Ron Paul just tell you that?

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
If he wants to affirm his patriotism he should do so by killing terrorists. No one would question his love for his country then. Is it really that hard? Next great president qualifications:

1) Hand over heart during national anthem.

2) Commitment to dropping terrorists like flies.

posted on Apr, 14 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
Next great president qualifications:

1) Hand over heart during national anthem.

2) Commitment to dropping terrorists like flies.

1. I think this was discussed on ATS before, but until the flap over Obama and the "Star Spangled Banner" I didn't know you were supposed to put your hand over your heart while the national anthem was played, not even after all those years of pledging allegiance to the flag in school. Most people don't know that; I never did until someone posted the U.S. code on ATS. I can't blame Obama for not knowing what millions of people didn't know.

2. Obama has never defended terrorists, and never said he wouldn't fight them in Afghanistan, etc. Are you maybe referring to his commitment to ending the war in Iraq sometime in the future?

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
At the Democratic debate in Pennsylvania last night, there were some questions from viewers. One asked Obama why he wouldn't wear a flag pin in his lapel. He replied that he has never refused to wear a flag pin and often does. IMO this flap began months ago when a reporter noticed Obama wasn't wearing a flag on his lapel whereas he had worn one the previous day. The whole thing was blown way out of proporation, but still there are people who want to insist he somehow hates America.

[edit on 17-4-2008 by Sestias]

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Everything in politics gets blown out of proportion. If a photographer opened the bathroom and found Obama peeing while sitting down, it would be portrayed negatively. Media and politics, there will never be a happy medium. Slash and bash.

I don't doubt his love for America. But too many people do, if only because of the nitpicking.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join