It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Slips - are people really going back in time?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   
From Wikipedia
A time slip (also called a timeslip) is an alleged paranormal phenomenon in which a person, or group of people, travel through time through supernatural (rather than technological) means. As with all paranormal phenomena, the objective reality of such experiences is disputed

One of the best-known, and earliest, examples of a time slip was reported by two English women, Charlotte Anne Moberly (16 September 1846 - 7 May 1937) and Eleanor Jourdain (1863–1924), the principal and vice-principal of St Hugh's College, Oxford, who believed they slipped back in time in the gardens of the Petit Trianon at Versailles from the summer of 1901 to the period of the French Revolution.

On August 10, 1901 Moberly and Jourdain were visiting the Palace of Versailles. They decided to go in search of the Petit Trianon. While walking through the grounds they both were impressed by a feeling of oppressive gloom. They claimed to have encountered, and interacted with, a number of people in old fashioned attire whom they later assumed to have been members of the court of Marie Antoinette and to have seen a figure that may have been Marie Antoinette herself on the day in 1792 when she learned that the mob had stormed the Tuileries Palace.

The Vanishing Hotel

A widely-publicised case from October 1979, described in the ITV television series Strange But True?, concerned the Simpsons and the Gisbys, two English married couples driving through France en route to a holiday in Spain. They claimed to have stayed overnight at a curiously old-fashioned hotel and decided to break their return journey at the same hotel but were unable to find it. Photographs taken during their stay, which were in the middle of a roll of film, were missing, even from the negative strips, when the pictures were developed.

Bold Street, Liverpool
In recent years, the street has gained an eerie reputation as the location of a number of time slip phenomena in which people have claimed to travel briefly back in time to Bold Street as it was in the 1950s and 1960s

Feeling of unreality

Many time slip witnesses report that, at the start of their experience of the phenomena, their immediate surroundings take on an oddly flat, underlit and lifeless appearance, and normal sounds seem muffled. This is sometimes accompanied by feelings of depression and unease. In some respects, this facet of the phenomenon is similar to the Oz Factor identified by British ufo researcher Jenny Randles in some reports of encounters with supposed extraterrestrial craft.

Ability to interact

Reports vary as to whether those experiencing time slips can take an active part in the event, interacting with the time being "visited". In the Versailles case, the two ladies were apparently seen, and spoken to, by people they saw. The French holidaymakers in 1979 went further, staying in a hotel and eating dinner and breakfast in the course of their experience. Both these cases are also unusually prolonged experiences, taking place over at least several hours.

In other cases, the subject is a passive observer of the "past" scene, and it seems that the "typical" time slip lasts only a matter of a few minutes.

So I pose my question, is this really happening? Are people really stepping back in time? if so how has it affected history? surely someone had to give warnings about Hitler or Ghengis Khan? Or maybe there was someone even worse but that time line was changed and we have no memory of it?

IF you look at some of the examples, reported by Tim Swartz A case from Yorkshire in the 1980s: the people experiencing a time slip have no control over what time they visit. that one fact could drop you in a very dangerous place... as in a battle field or in the middle of the Black Plague

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I have had a hard time with giving future paranormal warnings firsthanded. I would often like to have warned people about certain things, but in reality, its not that simple. It will not be taken seriously by anyone. The things and warnings often seem so outragous at the time the warnings are given that it just is brushed aside and people carry on with their lives.

The only time i successfully warned someone, was when my throat went numb and out came some wierd crashing noises from my own voice which I could not control (something simular to "speaking in tongues", but i only thought those things were myth and not real before). Anyway, it warned of a crash, the driver looked at me and slowed down abit. Then 30 seconds later 2 cars front collide infront of us at the next road crossing. Wierd indeed. But not even I know how or why something gave me that foresight. Try telling something like that to people if the event was something even bigger and more outragous. People would laugh at you.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I think it might be happening more often than we all think... only we don't realized it...

Have you ever been out somewhere when someone comes up to you and while you don't remember this person they know all about you? your name, where you live, who your friends are... Etc.

what if in our sleep or a waking-dream were are time slipping and that's how that person knows us?

what if we've been the other way forward in time and already seen a minor event and when back in present time you get the uneasy feeling something bad is about to happen...well that's because you've already been there and done that? you just don't remember...

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
[ I have experienced a time slip, but it involved a ufo. However, I think it would be great to experience a time slip. It shows that time travel is possible. I would love to go through time slips and then report what I had experienced. I think it would be brilliant to see the past. I would like to see the cottages where our flat now stands. I would only want to visit, but not stay there permanently.

[edit on 10/4/08 by rachel07]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by rachel07

Maybe some people have given us a heads up to whats coming...
Ever heard of man named "Chesley Bonestell"? known as the father of modern space art, whose visionary paintings of spacecraft, orbital platforms and moon landings, made in cooperation with Wernher von Braun, helped convince the U.S. Congress that the original space program was feasible and worth funding.

Born in 1888 the man was the first to envision what it would look like to stand on other words... he's most famous work was published in life magazine back in the 1940's

I think you'll find this last image the most interesting

For an old guy he knew what it really would be like to stand on a moon of Saturn or travel in a space craft long before ever dreamed it up...
looking back how could he have guessed so well? or did he guess at all? maybe he'd seen it first hand and chose to tell us what it would be like through his art?

[edit on 10-4-2008 by DaddyBare]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
maybe he'd seen it first hand and chose to tell us what it would be like through his art?
[edit on 10-4-2008 by DaddyBare]

That is a very interesting idea, and one I must admit I never thought of before. What better way to share the fact that you have traveled in time (or experienced other unusual phenomenon) without actually saying you did. This would allow someone to avoid the ridicule, but not feel burdened by keeping silent.

I wonder how many other illustrations out there may be an actual glimpse into the future.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I am not sure if I have experienced slips in time but I know that I am feeling the Oz Factor. It has happened often throughout my life, The latest was during a sighting in McAlester Oklahoma in January. I could still see the cars around me but the scenery seemed flat and unreal. My car felt as if it were gluiding and I could hear none of the usual sounds of driving. I began to see little streaks of dim light speed from my left to the right over the hood of my car, then I could hear what I can only discribe as crackeling around my car as if being pelted by little pebbles. I felt as if I were having an OBE, weightless and peaceful I knew I was about to see something big and I began to look into the sky. First it appeared as a pulsating red light then as it flew overhead I could see it was a triangle. After the sighting I felt lost and unsure of where I was going. I have hardley any memory of that long drive after the sighting.

I have on many ocassions been in places and time seemed to slow for me but the activity around me sped up leaving me moving in slowmotion.

[edit on 11-4-2008 by Witness2008]

posted on Apr, 12 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
try this for size.

sleeping in bed, peacefully, and WHAM!

Someone is on top of my chest, trying to choke the life out of me, with me trying to kill them.

A few seconds later, he gone and I wondered what was that all about...

Felt like a different person too..

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
just last month I was driving my daughter and granddaughter to the baby doctors... a drive I've made a hundred times before... as in know the route by heart...

Anyway I turn this corner and I'm all... where the hell are we and why are we here????

it felt like some time had passed, but it hadn't, and I wasn't sure if I was pointing the van north south east or west? this was not out on some dark country road but right in the middle of a city at noon...
I knew the way back home and almost turned around!!!
if the grand-baby in the back seat hadn't squawked right then I would have. so I just pulled into the breakdown lane and stopped.

my daughter, while she didn't say anything looked every bit as confused as I was and when I asked, "Where were going"? she took a long moment pause before pointing out the front window and saying, That way dad"!

Oh sure we joked about it later, "Don't go getting senile on me dad"! I teased, "Yeah before you know it I'll be in an old folks home with a drool cup strapped under my chin"!

but all joking aside something happened, what ever it was only took the time it takes to turn a van from a southbound road onto a east bound road!

After I made thins poat and asked her about that day she was quick to say, "Yeah it was real` funny, I just couldnt remember when the doctors office was"!

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Here's a story my Dad told me about Liverpool, whereby a number of people experienced it all at once.

It happened on one of the roads that leads to the bombed out cathedral (or somewhere in that area) when one guy noticed that all the buildings around him looked strangely old and everything felt 'odd', strange sounds and smells....

and as soon as he noticed it, everything was normal again...

Surely it was the man's imagination I hear you cry... well, not in this case as he turned around he saw a woman who was standing still in the street, with a look of confusion and fright upon her face.

He asked her what was up with her... and she replied 'for a minute i felt like i'd stepped into a different time'

Spooky!

Can anyone who knows anything more about this story please get back to me?

Oh and before I go... my Dad also told me that some strange phenomena occurs in the northern hemisphere in places like Norway for instance, where people are spotted (walking into a pub for example) and then the REAL person then walks into the pub with his/her double never to be seen again...

does anyone know anything about this?

Great thread by the way!

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I actually went down a city street once, no turns at all. Did my business and went back thru the same two way street to go home. I found myself in a place i;d never seen and since i was alone, i decided the best thing to do was turn around and go back and then try it again.
This time it worked, as it had millions of times.

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

I think it might be happening more often than we all think... only we don't realized it...

Have you ever been out somewhere when someone comes up to you and while you don't remember this person they know all about you? your name, where you live, who your friends are... Etc.

Well, NO, does this happen to you often? You say it like it is a usual occurance.

Seriously- does this happen to you regularly?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

I am very familiar with the Liverpool story (although I'd LOVE to have the opportunity to thoroughly interview at least one of the "slippers" :-)), but it's the first time I hear about Norway!

Do you have ANY piece of additional information, so that at least googling would be easier? :-)

[edit on 15-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   

I can't say that I've had very many of the experiences you relate further on in your post, but what you said above is SO true.

[edit on 15-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 16 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

what if we've been the other way forward in time and already seen a minor event and when back in present time you get the uneasy feeling something bad is about to happen...well that's because you've already been there and done that? you just don't remember...

I think I may have dreamt about the future as a kid. Every so often something will happen and I'll get that de ja vu and then I'll remember that I had the dream. It's odd.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
OK, precognition and timeslips are two very different things, first off.

Second of all, I've been researching timeslip phenomena for a while now and have noticed that people are always slipping into the past and yet there are no, or very few, reports of either slips into the future or people seeing people stepping from the future during a timeslip.

It is my theory that time slips are just variations on the ghostly recording phenomena - where an event is recorded somehow and played back leading to what appears to be ghosts. In many cases the 'slippee' (not to be confused with slurpee) is unable to interact with those who he/she sees in the past, which occurs when the recording is a straight forward recording of an event. However, when the 'slippee' is able to interact, I believe that something rarer and more interesting has happened - in addition to the appearance and actions being recorded, the individual who is being interacted with, has had their brain recorded as well with the result that when it is played back their 'brain' functions as it would if it where real - reacting to the external stimulus of the 'slippee'. It is, of course, possible that many more slips contain 'characters' who could be interacted with, but depending on where the centre of the recording is, where more detail would logically have been recorded, they don't attempt to interact with anything with sufficient detail to react.

posted on Aug, 5 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
IMO:
We are all essentially spirit...merely (for whatever reason) experiencing a physical existance for the time being. Spirit is timeless, and also not bound by the conventions and constraints we assign to the physical self.

So - as spirit - why would it be so inconcievable to more backwards or forwards through the *movie script* of this physical world? This world may in many ways be linear - spirit world isn't.

It is not uncommon for "the sins of the fathers to be visited upon the sons"...it is not uncommon for us to carry the burdens and baggage of our ancestors.
Their afflictions and transgressions can be *handed down* and become our inheritance just as much as physical inheritances such as eye-colour etc.

Again - spirit is timeless...the very nature of that understanding indicates that the linear/one-way (as we predominately know them) bounds of time do not apply.

...well, thats just my thoughts on it anyway...

Peace.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I like the idea of time slips. More stories can be found here..

One of the glitches that comes to mind for many of these time-slip stories that points to hoax is that those who claim to have interacted with people from/in other times also claim to be able to use the coinage of their time to pay for services received during the slipped to time (money from the 1960's/70's used in the 1800's?)

Most of those who experience time-slips say they felt an overwhelming depression from the atmosphere. Electromagnetism can create such an impression on the human mind. If the stories are genuine and assuming the physical Universe to behave like a hologram with electromagnetic properties then I'd say it'd be reasonable to believe that some electromagnetic occurrence could effect change in the physical environment perceived.

Some of the time-slip stories suggest only few people/animals of the slipped to time perceive those whom are time slipped. Maybe those able to perceive the slippers have mediumship abilities. Perhaps ghosts and UFO's et alia are resultant of time-slips. As we approach a time when electromagnetism might be frequently used in land and air vehicles we might expect to see more apparitions (like UFO's/glowing orbs in the night sky). Wasn't the Philadelphia Experiment related to electromagnetism as a means of affecting light waves?

Just my objective opinions anyway.

Edited to add: This link here ties in nicely with my ideas I've stated above. The link discusses Philadelphia.

[edit on 6/8/08 by Rapacity]

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I get a timeslip everytime I go to my Grandmothers, It's like being in the 1970's man. Like WOW all the chintsy furniture , and the felt wallpaper. Like FAROUT..
oh hang on she just hasn't decorated for the last 35 years.

posted on Aug, 6 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I myself experienced a time slip while driving.

In the sky I seen a old war plane landing, drove to the airport to see if it was there but when I got there, there was nothing.

This span me out, I never thought of it as a time slip but now looking back it defiantly sounds like one.

And just the other day while driving with my mums husband looking for a party, we thought we seen a plane crashing, no airports are around this area and this was odd.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join