It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Gods name?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Hey, I started thinking about it and wondered what Gods name is. I know that he goes by 'God' to us, but what was the name that his parents gave to him.

On another note,

What role did Gods parents play in his life. Were they supporting like most parents now a days or were they unforgiving parents like some today.

Did God have any siblings, and if so what role did they play in his life. Did they become gods of another place or what? Why did God get to be so special?

Was God so great in the time that he lived in? Was he exiled and crucified like Jesus his son?

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyte Angel

psalm 83:[18] That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

psalm 90:[2] Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.

1 tim 1:[17] Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

god didnt have parents

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by miriam0566

That can't be possible then.

like the the egg question:

What came first, God or the universe?

God would've had to of had parents in order to even have a CHANCE at existing in life. Unless of course he was genetically engineered, which I highly doubt happened so long ago.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Even if God was genetically engineered, someone would have had to be around to do the engineering.

"Which came first, God or the universe?" is pretty much a no-brainer for anyone who believes in God. If the universe came first, then God is not God.

If you are going to assume that God had parents, then who were the parents parents? And their parents? And theirs? And theirs? And theirs? And theirs? And theirs?

Since that is patently absurd, the only logical explanation is that God is outside the loop. God was always there.

Also, all the most beautiful names belong to God.

[edit on 9-4-2008 by babloyi]

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

...how would god's godhood be diminished if god was a product of the universe?

an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent deity is an omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent deity, regardless of where it came from

origins have no bearing on how something is defined.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

quote:what is G-D's name?
answer:it would depend on which language the person was born with that wanted to use G-D's name.

since the old covenant is hebrew and aramaic G-D's personal name would be Yahvah.
the hebrew for G-D is Elohiym
the new testament that we were left with is written in greek but many scholars believe the origional was written in hebrew since the early new testament church was mainly jewish until the apostasy approximately 110ad.
the greek word for G-D is Theos----the english word would be Deity.

G-D confused the languages of man at the tower of babel for the purpose of slowing us down because if the G-D Beings hadn't changed our languages then we would have developed weapons of mass destruction much sooner and used them before the 6000 years of experimenting with self rule without G-D would let us survive.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
God does not have a name.
The gods of myth all have names.
Names for gods are handles.
The belief is that if you know the name of a particular god, you somehow have a power over that god by the fact that you can call on him and plead your case.
Humans want to make what God said to Moses as His name.
They are wrong. Sorry to all you Y lovers out there.
What God was saying to Moses was that He is not giving anyone power over Him.
The meaning of what He told Moses is, "I am whoever I decide that I am."
We can call god as the God who Jesus called his Father.
That is the only handle we are given and if you go through anyone else, you are not calling on the real god.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
God does not have a name.

psalm 83:[18] That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Our god is the only one who can be called "I am who I decide that I am".
If you want to use that as a name, be my guest, but do not delude yourself.
This is a description of something about the nature of God that He wanted to be told to Pharoah.
It was meant to confound Pharaoh and to give him no satisfaction.
We can not reach up to heaven and pull God down to us.
God is beyond all explaination and is everything and nothing, or whatever, that only he knows.
God is not in a box.
He could send a presence to sit on a box, but we can not contain Him, or name him, other than what we invent ourselves to use.
Any way, do what you want, but the word god is nothing other than the Anglo-Saxon word for good.
I like the anglosaxon and use it as much as possible and I may be the only person you may know who actually read the entire Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   
What is God's name?

My oldest brother solved this riddle when he was 10.

It's Howard.

You're welcome.
All the best.

[edit on 9-4-2008 by dr_strangecraft]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi

Since that is patently absurd, the only logical explanation is that God is outside the loop. God was always there.
[edit on 9-4-2008 by babloyi]

How was God always "just there"?

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

Seriously?

Lol you gotta be joking, cause my name ain't Howard...

JK (Or am I???)

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
"Our Father Lord in Heaven Howard be thy Name"

But seriously folks.

First off to the chicken or the egg question the Bible teaches the eternal nature of God. There are many names used for God. Each one emphasizes one of his attributes. The Israelites would use the appropriate name when making certain requests. I try to incorporate them into my prayers. Like if I am praying for healing I would use Jehova-Rophe for God that heals. I do not think it is necessary biut i think God likes stuff like that.

A Few Hebrew Names and Their Meanings

Adonai-Jehovah -- The Lord our Sovereign
El-Elyon -- The Lord Most High
El-Olam -- The Everlasting God
El-Shaddai -- The God Who is Sufficient for the Needs of His People
Jehovah-Elohim -- The Eternal Creator
Jehovah-Jireh -- The Lord our Provider
Jehovah-Nissi -- The Lord our Banner
Jehovah-Ropheka -- The Lord our Healer
Jehovah-Shalom -- The Lord our Peace
Jehovah-Tsidkenu -- The Lord our Righteousness
Jehovah-Mekaddishkem -- The Lord our Sanctifier
Jehovah-Sabaoth -- The Lord of Hosts
Jehovah-Shammah -- The Lord is Present
Jehovah-Rohi -- The Lord our Shepherd
Jehovah-Hoseenu -- The Lord our Maker
Jehovah-Eloheenu -- The Lord our God

www.characterbuildingforfamilies.com...

[edit on 4/10/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
...how would god's godhood be diminished if god was a product of the universe?

So many reasons. You got it somewhat right with your mention of omnipotence, omnipresence and omniscience. If God was a product of the universe, then God could not know anything outside the framework of the universe. God would not have power over the universe. God would not be able to exist outside the universe. For example, if God was a product of the universe, that would mean that there was a time that God did not exist (not omnipresent). It would mean that God would not know what happened before that time. The universe has fixed laws and rules. It has a fixed amount of energy. How can something omnipotent be created within a framework of a fixed amount of energy?

Origin has every bearing on how something is defined.

Not sure what you mean, Nyte Angel. You question seems to be asking how it came to be that God was always 'just there'. Since God was always just there, there is no way it came to be. It just always was. God was always just there because God is God, the only being capable of always being just there. An omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient being.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60

Our god is the only one who can be called "I am who I decide that I am".
If you want to use that as a name, be my guest, but do not delude yourself.
This is a description of something about the nature of God that He wanted to be told to Pharoah.
It was meant to confound Pharaoh and to give him no satisfaction.
We can not reach up to heaven and pull God down to us.
God is beyond all explaination and is everything and nothing, or whatever, that only he knows.
God is not in a box.
He could send a presence to sit on a box, but we can not contain Him, or name him, other than what we invent ourselves to use.
Any way, do what you want, but the word god is nothing other than the Anglo-Saxon word for good.
I like the anglosaxon and use it as much as possible and I may be the only person you may know who actually read the entire Anglo-Saxon Chronicle.

its amazing how a simple scripture provokes this paragraph of poetic opinion.

so wait, are you implying that god wants to confound us too?

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 06:25 AM
link   
God's name is..........

Paul Weller.

Seriously, God likes to be called Big G by his mates who know that he isn't really the stuffy, self-righteous egotist that some people try to portray him as.
He's really a pretty cool and understanding sort of guy who also likes to have the odd party or two, he knows the script!

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
If God was a product of the universe, then God could not know anything outside the framework of the universe.

that's a jump, there's no logical backing to that statement. it's quite possible that a being can know something outside the framework of the universe it inhabits. in fact, if this hypothetical god could possibly leave the very universe it was created in

God would not have power over the universe.

also doesn't logically follow.
if i build a robot, it can still kill me.

God would not be able to exist outside the universe.

another thing that doesn't logically follow. we have no idea about what it takes to exist outside another universe.

For example, if God was a product of the universe, that would mean that there was a time that God did not exist (not omnipresent).

...unless said being could time travel (being omnipotent would take care of that)

It would mean that God would not know what happened before that time.

also incorrect. if a being is omni^3rd it can trace back all events from the point of its origin.

The universe has fixed laws and rules. It has a fixed amount of energy. How can something omnipotent be created within a framework of a fixed amount of energy?

honestly, this is really going into "we don't really know what we're talking about here" territory of philosophy...but i'll give it a go

said being, as i've said, could theoretically exit the universe. outside the universe it doesn't have to work within the framework of this one.

Origin has every bearing on how something is defined.

...you've not really demonstrated the case fully

Not sure what you mean, Nyte Angel. You question seems to be asking how it came to be that God was always 'just there'. Since God was always just there, there is no way it came to be. It just always was. God was always just there because God is God, the only being capable of always being just there. An omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient being.

actually, that's incorrect. being omniscient, omnipresent and/or omnipotent have nothing to do with being "just there"
in fact, energy has always been "just there" as far as science can tell.

hell, the entire statement that god has always been "just there" is kind of silly since it cannot be defended in any way but by saying that it's the definition of the deity.

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   

You are operating under the assumption that human achievement is the apex of all wisdom. This will forever barre any real knowledge of God. Madd you will never comprehend God using worldly wisdom.

The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Cor 2:14)

You can use your science and logic until you are blue in the face and you are just spinning in circles.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.(Isaiah 55:8)

"But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; " (1 Corinthians 1:27)

[edit on 4/10/2008 by Bigwhammy]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

(concerning the "I am" thing)
I wish I could explain this stuff a little better.
I did not invent this idea.
I am trying to convey this concept but I do not have the background to break it down in a systematic way.
I got this from a talk that was given by someone who really was an expert on the subject.
It made a serious impression on me and I believe it is true.
-------------------------------------------------
So, like I said, do what you want.
To me, people who want to create this special nitch for a sacred name, are missing the point.
I have a book on the names of God.
I bought it years ago and really wanted to understand this whole name thing.
My brother, the theologeon, laughed at me.
The Assyrians came to take Jerusalem and told them, "Where is your God? You have torn down His alters and cut down His groves. Where is the Most High God to protect you?"
The righteous King destroyed the worship of the god with a name. Basicly the same name the heathen knew. The king put his trust in the God with no name, and the Angel of God destroyed his enemy.
Something like that. He told me but I can not explain it as well as he can.
To repeat, there is a generic name that is more of a title that can be used to address the person who is God.
The most effective way of specifying which god, in particular, you use a name of someone who knew Him, personaly.
He could be called the god of Abraham.
Then, the god of Israel.
Now we have Jesus.
We join ourselves to Jesus through baptism and the god who was the father of Jesus becomes Our Father.

[edit on 10-4-2008 by jmdewey60]

[edit on 10-4-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   

This is fun! Despite your disbelief in God, you are challenging my logic on my own terms. I could provide scripture to back my point up, but I guess that is not what you are looking for?

that's a jump, there's no logical backing to that statement. it's quite possible that a being can know something outside the framework of the universe it inhabits. in fact, if this hypothetical god could possibly leave the very universe it was created in

Let me provide a rather cheesy and overused example. A functioning piece of software cannot exist in the real world (outside of a computer). A human cannot exist outside the 3 dimensions of space and 1 of time (heck, a human cannot exist in a majority of the points within those dimensions).

...unless said being could time travel (being omnipotent would take care of that)

If said being needed to do travelling of any sort, then it couldn't be omnipresent. God would have to be in all places at all time.

also incorrect. if a being is omni^3rd it can trace back all events from the point of its origin.

To when? The creation of the universe it didn't create? What about before that? And before that? And before that?

We are forgetting 1 property of said being. God is also The Creator. The basic cause of all causes. One of the reasons you are not God is because you are an effect. An effect that has a cause (your parents). That cause is also an effect of another cause. In this simplistic illustration, it goes on and on, the web of cause and effect narrowing down the branching tree to the root - one single Cause. All these causes have left their effect on you, thus your origin (in part) defines you.

Energy has been around as long as the universe has.

A God that is omnipresent has indeed always been 'just there'.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join