It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why would NASA lie?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra

Originally posted by zysin5
But you remember HG Wells, War of the Worlds and what It did to people at that time?

I'd like to see if a fake news report of some benevolent aliens making contact would cause people to panic or not.

I honestly believe most people in Britain would get out the deckchairs and sit down with a cup of tea or a couple of cold beers and point and stare

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Why would NASA lie?

Because, if they told us the truth their would be economic-meltdown.

I'm 100% sure NASA are keeping secrets, what those secrets are is anyones guess, but i suspect it includes Nibiru.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I don't agree with OP. I think there is no proof at all NASA is even lying in the first place, and I find it a bit revolting that it is being insinuated that they are without that proof.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
If they had lied, then they have been paid (funded) or told to do so.

Also, the mass panic I feel is real - this sitting down with a cup of tea and looking upwards is a bunch of bunk. I would head to the Mourne mountains with a tent and a sack full of beans - jack daniels would have to wait!

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Balez
reply to post by expatwhite

Yes, why would NASA lie?
Would they lie about something as simple as microbs on mars?
Perhaps they are doing that...

Why though?
That tiny little proof from our red neighbour could mean we have some other lifeforms that could have evolved on other places.

Who knows, we might even be visited by some of these from another solarsystem....

Denying something as simple as microbs on mars, helps to keep the bigger picture hidden.

I think that is a part of it, if they are lying.

IMO...the truth could very well be that yes there are other humanoid life forms and yes they are "visiting" but they are so much more advanced than us that we could not even fathom their existance...what I mean by this is that their meaning or purpose in life(our meaning or purpose) might be so hard to understand or comprehend that it would destroy every belief or idea we ever had and they know this...so we are kept from knowing for our own piece of mind...for now and the near future. We are not advanced enough as a spiecies to take that step...we still kill one another over religion for christ sakes...not to mention the fact that we war with ourselves. I could go on...but you get my point.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by expatwhite
are the bible and religion firmly opposed to the possibilty of Extra terestrial life. Surely there could still be a God or supreme being even if life was elsewhere in the universe.

Indeed. I fail to see why religious people are so often targeted for panic when it comes to disclosure. AFAIK, the bible doesnt automatically eliminate the possibility for life on other planets. Plus, we have precedence that the Church do not panic as soon as anyone not believing in God appears. History make that obvious. Instead, they force their belief on others.

If we are talking intelligent aliens with technology I'd be far, far more afraid of religious nuts trying to enforce God on them rather than panicking.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Riotec you make some points there that I've held for some time too. It's just too wacky for us mere mortals to comprehend, especially when all our belief systems will collapse over night. Saying that when one reads the religious books they do read like great ufo stories lol. NASA are probably sitting there, saying "this stuff they wrote all those thousands of years ago.......it's real! Humans are going to to have to return to religion."

I remember reading on here once a topic where a poster wrote that NASA may know something about the aliens that is so bad, so horrible and terrifying that they just know humans will be lose it. I think they may have been onto something there.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Just to add to the above. Now if the NASA know that much of what's written in the bible about things in the sky is true and accepts a massive return to serious religion of the gods, then the big business corporations lose their place as the new god and sales may collapse. People will give up on their devotion to the god of material welth and big business will sufer big time. Bib business = Government = NASA. It could well be 'all about the money.'

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ufoorbhunter

That is also a huge problem...we are so hung up on money and material stuff...there is so much more to "life" than that but we can only assume, we don't truly know and we need everything laid out before us in black and white. We have so much more to learn and we're not developed enough to benefit from any information that these aliens could give us. What if this existance is a training ground for our souls? Could you deal with the idea that whatever the aliens could tell you about the meaning of life would not benefit you at this place in time? Essentually showing you paradise but telling you that you can't go. Back to our job and the daily grind. I'd rather wonder what else there is and live my "life" than be told "yeah...there is this great place but you won't ever get to go there as you are".
Of course there is always the possibilty that we die and go to heaven.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Good Topic

I have always found myself blaiming NASA for not giving us the truth we deserve, however now im questioning my own beliefs.

BLACKMAIL

Imagine you had a family that you loved with everything you have. And you would do ANYTHING for them and for their safety and future. Yet in order do that you have to do as your told despite how you feel.

Now picture NASA they are the governments puppets. If NASA turned round and released information WITHOUT clearence from the goverment. NASA as we know it (in my opinion) would cease to exist. Alot of people would lose their jobs and something they have passion for.

And we have all heard of high respected people that seem to just disapear or are labelled crazy when they release information. So not only would they fear for their jobs but also maybe even their own lives.

Just my thoughts

/rich

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
The OP seems to take for granted that there is intelligent life or even simple micro organisms on or around the planets of our solar system.

Ive yet to see any proof.

As close minded it may sound, but it is highly possible we are in fact alone. Or they are just simply too far away.

Just because the universe is huge, it doesn't necessarily mean its teaming with life.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I honestly believe that its not NASA, like many people on here, I think they keep quiet to protect their budget. If they were to release anything, alot of people would get fired and NASA would lose alot of funding, if not all of it.

We've been made to believe for so long, that life is a rare commodity in our solar system and galaxy, the perfect conditions needed to ignite the evolutionary process. If they announce that they have found microbial life on mars, or venus or even the moon, they are going to be spending the next couple of decades explaining that maybe life doesn't need exactly what we need, and that life can spring up almost anywhere, and this will lead to more and more questions which will have to be answered (truthfully or not) to avoid more suspicion and more questions.

I think with the 'microbial life' scenario, religion wouldn't be as big a deal as the humanoid ET's. They may have to re evaluate the core of the religion as they all focus on this planet, not that they say life can't exist on other planets, only that their perspective is from this planet, if it truly was the 'word of god' surely, he would've mentioned life from other planets, afterall, he created everything in the universe.

There are probably many more factors that we can't even comprehend, but it doesn't mean we can't try

thanks. EMM

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   

WHY ARE YOU HERE on this site if you dont know something as simple as this whats the point

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by zysin5

everybody keeps saying there would be mass panic about disclosure. but this has not happened. back when "the war of the worlds" came out on radio, the myth came out that there was mass panic, there was not. alot of phone calls of concern and questions, but people didn't run out in the streets, riots didn't break out, and nobody died or was injured by some kind of panic. so this notion that there would be mass chaos, is just an excuse and a ploy. why? i personally think that the government or large corporations have some vested interest in keeping the lid on this. and it needs to keep the public in the dark to protect those interests.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to Expat I tend to agree with the post. Reason being I once ask a precher why the bible didnt speak of dinosaurs he replied because there were'nt any. When I ask about the bones found his response was that, God may have just put bone on earth to mess with us. As if it were a joke being played by God. post by expatwhite

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   

It's a well known historical fact that religion held back science for a very long time. They used to burn 'scientists' at the stake as heretics. Though their not burning them at the stake anymore, they're still up to their usual tricks.

The more things change.. the more they stay the same!

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesneakiod
The OP seems to take for granted that there is intelligent life or even simple micro organisms on or around the planets of our solar system.

Ive yet to see any proof.

As close minded it may sound, but it is highly possible we are in fact alone. Or they are just simply too far away.

Just because the universe is huge, it doesn't necessarily mean its teaming with life.

Erm, i dont take anything for granted???

let me simplify it for you

NASA deny life has been found elsewhere
People say that that is untrue, there is evidence of life on Mars and the moon
Im open minded and asking a SIMPLE question, ie why would NASA lie?

To the posters who replied with responses to the religious question, many thanks, some interesting and intelligent responses

To the poster who thought it was "revolting" that i would even DREAM of questioning NASA..well
NASA are the epitomy of truth are they

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I think you guys missed my point.. I was explaining about how the spin of the thought of aliens would ensure choas. The mindset is there. But the actions of what people are going to do is still within the fog of war presay.

I wasnt trying to say people are going to freak out.. But simply pointing out thats how we are trained to feel, how we are groomed to think of such things. As the hive mind, as a collective mind, we are told over and over agin we would freak out..

So agin my point wasnt we would all freak out.. My point was those with power say we would.. Would we? I will await and see what happens in the near future.

The protection of the status quo! The protection of religion in its current form. Fear, and illusions.
I just feel its crazy how illusions, want to see proof of more illusions to try to prove that these illusions are real. When the whole time we are energy patterns. We are not the bodies and minds we are projecting in our minds.

Its so deep and intense I dont expect many to understand or even follow me here.. I know what I know, and thats all I need.
There is no thought to it.. We already know.
And when you put thought into it, you already lose the battle, becasue you are trying to know something you already know.

Illusions my friends, speaking with illusions about the illusions of other illusions.. Yes pretty damn deep. Lies are an illusion aswell.
Nothing is real, proof is an illusion for illusions.

[edit on 6-4-2008 by zysin5]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by expatwhite
are the bible and religion firmly opposed to the possibilty of Extra terestrial life. Surely there could still be a God or supreme being even if life was elsewhere in the universe.

I agree with what you say here. All the Bible says is that God created HUMANS in his own image. Thats it. If I remember correctly, it says nothing about beings from another planet. So I see no reason that if the fact came up that there are other worldly beings, that it would ruin religion. I would just come to the conclusion (If I were a hardcore christian, which im not) that God must have created them some other time. I would take the 'seven days' and figure its ONLY for earth.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I am not sure why people cite people of faith or religion itself, as the primary offender, in the purported idea that NASA or any other government would lie about alien life.
Its not as if faith centered people are alone in "fear mongering" or blatant refusal to accept the idea of other worldly life. As a matter of fact I would be willing to venture a guess that belief in extraterrestrial life is MUCH more common among the religious types than among the "Agnostic" or "Atheist" types.
Heck the vast majority of religions here on good ol' mother earth are based on the assumption of otherworldly life. i.e. God, Celestial beings of any sort I would think qualify as "extraterrestrial"
As I see it, it is "people of science" who want to argue about life "elsewhere", and if it can exist. People of faith mainly question the nature of it.

[edit on 6-4-2008 by sacerd]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join