It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The fundamental problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Hi

I belive that when coming to the neverending discussion wether ufo's and extraterestrial exist, and the search for them, there is only one BIG problem. The problem is not if they actually exist, nor if they know where we are. The problem is that man for some stupid reason belive we are so damn uniqe. We belive that if there is ET's they will contact us. We belive that they will plan flyovers. We belive that if they communicate they will use radio wich we can pick up with our current technology. And that is the belivers, most people actually belive we are so uniqe that there cant be anything intelligent but us in the galaxy.

Even if u put pessimistic numbers into drakes equation it dont only prove that we are not alone, but that there probably are many civilisations immensly more advanced than us. Why would an such advanced civilisation have any reason coming to earth? I would guess it would be to observe, to get a glimpse of their long lost history. But I do not think they will try to get contact. They wont land at the white house and say "here is our technology". They might abduct people to study, they might pick up signals from our radios/tvs etc. But if they are inteligent enough to get here, they are inteligent enough to understand that mixing with an civilisation under evolution might be catastrophic. I do belive that they might have interacted with us earlier, pyramids etc. But that part of mans history is lost now.

They dont share their technology, not because they dont want to, but
because they dont see the reason to do so. We belive we are advanced because we have HD tv. HD tv is probably a long lost chapter in their history books, something that happened hundreds of millenias ago. They dont care dragging us into their huge cross galaxy comunity because we dont have anything to offer. We are primitive.

And for the sceptics saying: "They wouldnt travel for x decades just to fly by." Here is ur answer; tracing back to the problem that we belive we are uniqe. By saying decades we asume that they are traveling near speed of light. Because it is impossible to travel faster. We discovred that years ago. 10000 years after uppgrading from living in caves, and therfore that is a fact.
Because we are so smart.

And why no radio signals at SETI? What makes us assume that they are using radio? Because we use radio, and we look at ourselves as advanced. Hence, they use radio.

Problem = we are so smart that we dont see that we're not so smart.

That should be enough of my oppinions to start a good discussion.

I bet someone is gone scream burn the witch at me in under 30 mins.

Deny Ignorance!

Zykloner

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I agree with everything you just said. The problem is that lately I've noticed how people put so much 'hope' in aliens, like so many people put hope in a god. People want to be rescued and get away from this #ty planet, so they'll believe anything, as long as it gives them hope ...

Pretty sad though, the threads getting started here sometimes remind me of christians talking about angels and salvation etc

Good post

[edit on 4-4-2008 by johnthebon]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Totally agree with u.

Thanx btw

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Zykloner

I agree completely. How can you look at all the galaxies and stars and think that we're unique? In terms of the universe, we are probably as common as dirt. Why would another species find us intriguing? Why would they waste their time stopping off here?

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
well your argument was valid on all points...until Jan of 2008...
see up until then we all assumed faster then light travel was the stuff of fiction... well that turned out not to be the case...

Okay so its only a first step and for now only radio waves... baby steps and each new discovery Leeds to another...

New Discovery in faster then light

Now that we know what to look for SETI might be much more likely to find and set up a two-way contact with ET...now that's really cool stuff...

[edit on 4-4-2008 by DaddyBare]

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I was sarcastic when saying that it is impossible to travel faster then light..

I belive they travel via wormholes, by bending the dimension space. but thats another story..

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zykloner

I belive they travel via wormholes, by bending the dimension space. but thats another story..

Well if you read the brief from Dr. John Singleton and his work it looks like you were right about SETI looking in the wrong places for signs of ET...

But I disagree with you in that if I could I think it would be really cool to visit a caveman ET and see how they live day by day... when you think about it ...that's just what we would be compared to an intergalactic faring race

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

By saying decades we asume that they are traveling near speed of light. Because it is impossible to travel faster. We discovred that years ago.

We don't know that for sure. Even then there is the Einstein-Rosen bridge principle of wormholes-which precludes the need to travel faster than light.

And why no radio signals at SETI? What makes us assume that they are using radio? Because we use radio, and we look at ourselves as advanced. Hence, they use radio.

No REPORTED signals at SETI.

And from what I have read, they refuse to point their antennas towards Zeta Reticulae. despite that's one of the closest systems to us.

Problem = we are so smart that we dont see that we're not so smart.

On that I agree. We tend to ignore the obvious and investigate the ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Just quote myself so i dont get another post that it is possible to travel faster then light by someone not reading the whole thread.

Zykloner

top topics

join