It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LANL scientist makes radio waves travel faster than light

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
This little news blip cane out 1/18/2008 but I guess everyone missed it... as I did search and no where in ATS was it mentioned???
please take time to give it a careful read... not only have they broken the superluminal (Faster than light) but have discovered a phenomenon equivalent to a sonic boom...
Link to story

[edit on 1-4-2008 by DaddyBare]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
wow! Im suprised as well!

Very interesting breakthrough!! I wonder what else you can do with a device like that.... Why are people not caring about this that much?! Amazing.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The implications and possiblities created by this could have an even larger impact on mankind than even nuclear weapons. This could be the beginning of the next big leap for the human race, This may eventually lead to the possibility of super luminal space travel just by proving it is possible to go faster than the speed of light.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I sort of posted the dumbed down story for normal people like me...
for you more hard core I'll post the link so you can read his Abstract
"Spectral properties of the nonspherically decaying radiationgenerated by a rotating superluminal source"
Long hair big word pdf that makes little sense to me

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
can someone dumb this down for the layman

I also have a serious question, if it went faster than light would it not also go back in time. Therefore it would be received before it was sent ?

My head hurts

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by expatwhite
can someone dumb this down for the layman

I also have a serious question, if it went faster than light would it not also go back in time. Therefore it would be received before it was sent ?

I'm really not to right person to "Splane it Lucy"
but no you wouldn't go back in time... you would kind of steep out of time...
See Einstein said you couldn't go faster than the speed of light as the faster you went the more time slowed and right at the speed of light time just stops so you would never burn that last drop of fuel to put you over the top... well that's what we all thought... now who knows???

I should point out this John Singleton hints that its not so much the wave breaking the superluminal but the shock wave it creates may be able to carry particles as well

Keep in mind when you read this, John Singleton is no back water college prof...
the dude works for Los Alamos National Laboratory and the Department of Energy has given them a three-year,
$3 million grant to work on the project

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm sorry for this question, but I must ask in hopes that someone will know.

I was under the impression that radio waves travel at the speed of light because they are the same as light waves, just oscillating at different frequencies.

If a radio wave can be "abused" enough to to travel faster than the speed of light, then why can't light be "abused" enough to travel faster than the speed of light?

I also have to wonder what affect these "abused" waves would have on the humans who might use cell phones that emitted these waves, as suggested as a possible application in the future.

The warnings of current cell phone use on the brain just won't go away.

www.newsinferno.com...

[edit on 2008/4/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

This is part of the goal behind it. If you can make light travel faster, then the limit for how fast something can go is also raised.

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I'm sorry for this question, but I must ask in hopes that someone will know.

I was under the impression that radio waves travel at the speed of light because they are the same as light waves, just oscillating at different frequencies.

If a radio wave can be "abused" enough to to travel faster than the speed of light, then why can't light be "abused" enough to travel faster than the speed of light?

I also have to wonder what affect these "abused" waves would have on the humans who might use cell phones that emitted these waves, as suggested as a possible application in the future.

The warnings of current cell phone use on the brain just won't go away.

www.newsinferno.com...

[edit on 2008/4/1 by GradyPhilpott]

The short answer is no yes no no and maybe...LOL

light is ...as we know it is a particle...it has mass just not a lot of it..you could equate it to a tiny rock if you would.. we can measure the pressure caused by photons hitting a sensor...that's how camera light meters work,
Now a radio wave is energy no particle and no mass...

as for how they might effect people? who knows? these days everything is bad for...heck I'm waiting for the government to come out with a report saying mothers milk is toxic so I can volunteer to place all the warning labels! ;-)

posted on Apr, 1 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'm no scientist, but for someone to invest $3 million, it must be pretty important!

i wonder how long it will take for us to see any of the new technology in action!

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 02:54 AM
link   
ok... and another machine that accelerates light ? what then so its a race
to accelrate light... i got a video of a electric motor that is connected to a
magnetic wheel that generates light?...or power...if your gonna seperate
light rays or compare them then compare them...? i dont see a contraption
yet that attempts to accelerate light [i have a black hole in mind]... and
another question with what equipment do you mearsure something that
travels faster than the speed of light?...

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Very intriguing!

I need to sit down and think about how this relates to relativity and light being the ultimate "yardstick"

As an aside - several years back (I still have the printouts) - I came across a paper that outlined how radio waves could be used as a propulsion mechanism. Had to do something with the compression and expansion of the waves in front of and behind the "craft". After reading this,, it makes me wonder if it could be possible to ride these superluminal waves?

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:57 AM
link   
...also - interesting to hear more about "rotating magnetic fields". This seems to keep popping up more and more in anti-grav theories and the like.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

I smell something fishy – still they got there $3m to continue research. Getting research money is an art it’s all smoke and mirrors.

We know how fast RF travels and its loss in all materials. I don't believe it and I’m convinced time will tell. But it’s possible they are not investigating conventional RF waves even exploring entangled pairs, but not with $3m.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by majestictwo
reply to post by DaddyBare

I smell something fishy – still they got there $3m to continue research. Getting research money is an art it’s all smoke and mirrors.

We know how fast RF travels and its loss in all materials. I don't believe it and I’m convinced time will tell. But it’s possible they are not investigating conventional RF waves even exploring entangled pairs, but not with $3m.

Even though I believe there is a way to travel faster than the speed of light somehow, I have to agree with you in this case.

First of all something like this and the possibilities I would see a lot more than 3 million going into it. Any millionaire could invest huge into his technology at that price and become one of the if not the wealthiest person in history if it was worked correctly.

If it was 100 percent legit I don't think we would ever hear about it.

Would faster than light transmissions pose a problem to cell phone frequency tapping by the govt.?

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I think I can explain the thing in laymans terms:

In the Report linked to by DaddyBare, they are talking about radiation from a superluminal rotating Electric source.

Imagine that you observe this radiation beam, and find that it moves from the source to you in a straight line with the speed of light ok?

Suddently you find other subbeams from the same source also moving from the source to you with the speed of light, but.... the do no travel in a straight line.. so the distance they travel are not the same, but longer...

This means that the subbeams travel a greater distance than the radiation beam, From the source to the observer, but is observed to reach you at the same time as the radiationbeam.

Well... if the subbeam travels a greater distance than the radiationbeam, from the source to the observer, and the radiationbeam is traveling with the speed of light, the subbeam must travel fast than the speed of light.

Being composed of tightly focused wave packets that are constantly dispersed and reconstructed out of other waves, these subbeams neither diffract nor decay in the same way as conventional radiation beams

This reminds me of Walter Russel who said:
"Waves of light do not travel. They reproduce each other from wave field to wave field of space. The planes of zero curvature, which bound all wave fields, act as mirrors to reflect light from one field into another. This sets up an appearance of light as traveling, which is pure illusion."

I hope this helped?

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
This little news blip cane out 1/18/2008 but I guess everyone missed it... as I did search and no where in ATS was it mentioned???
please take time to give it a careful read... not only have they broken the superluminal (Faster than light) but have discovered a phenomenon equivalent to a sonic boom...
Link to story

Hate to burst your bubble, but this has been going on for at LEAST 10 years. It was first reported back in 98 or 99, and duplicated by at least 7 different labs across the world.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Um... If radio waves can be dispersed faster than light, doesn't this mean that somewhere, somebody has the ability to send information back in time?

posted on Feb, 15 2009 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SumnerKagan

In my opinion:

Time is just observation frames of things in motion, and since the whole universe including us are in constant movement, you cannot observe the same frame twice.

1. physically we are never in the same place twice, as we are always in motion.
2. Observation frames are not a physical phenomena, and do not leave a "print" behind, they dissappear/are stored as soon as the next frame apears.
3. everybody/thing able to observe, experience their own unique observations and store them.
4. the only place the past is stored is in the individual observers brain/memory.

There may be a shared/linked present consiousness of some sort, but not a shared memorybank.
We only remember as long as we are consious.
There may be events witch ofcourse are stored in alot of peoples memories, but people without knowledge of the event wont remember it.

Thats why I don't believe in timetravels unless it is in your own memory.

top topics

join