It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Atheist Thrashing Service

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but as an atheist on ATS who has been here for a long time and contributed much with very little in the way of warnings and misbehavior (and that was when I was still new), I am appalled that people who have outright crossed the line repeatedly on ATS have yet to be sanctioned

and i've noticed that all of these instances have been when christians have attacked atheists. i have had my sexual identity called into question by someone and the comment didn't receive a warn and wasn't edited out

there are now 60+ page threads that are essentially devoted to ignorant, tag-team atheist bashing. there's absolutely no mod protection for atheists now.

ever since the most prominent member of the atheist community on ATS...well, disappeared under controversial circumstances, to put it lightly (i think i might be censored if i put the truth about it here), things have gone downhill. there's nothing here to support us and we feel like upping and leaving to a place where people have actually decided to value the denial of ignorance instead of shunning it in place of tag team bashing.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

I got to agree with you here MIMS.

I have made a conscious effort to minimise my postings on religious / Christian / Atheist threads recently.

It seems some people just can't enter into civilized debate without resorting to issuing personal insults to those of differring viewpoints. (Not just Xians as well I may add MIMS)

Reasoned, respectful debate seems quite an alien concept to some people here.
Viewpoints have become so entrenched.
That is no excuse for a complete lack of civility.

I would also like to say that there are a few noteable exceptions, I suspect you know who you are.

I hear what you are saying about a recent banning too.
Again, you echo my sentiments.

I have also been suprised at the lack of Mod intervention at times.
Let's hope that NGC2736's recent statement about future conduct in the CiR forum has the desired effect.

[edit on 2/4/08 by Freeborn]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
nice post MIMS i've noticed this too

i try to stay as far away from religous topics on this site as possible because of this

i think things started going down hill here for athiests when Major Malfuncion was banned

things just don't feel how they used to be around here, especially in the faith and spirituality bored

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I would like to add my 2 cents to this thread and say that I, too, stand with MIMS on this issue. Admitedly, I am not perfect myself sometimes. But I believe in being tolerant of others. And it seems to me that Gays and Muslims get more than their fair share of abuse at times on ATS as well. I have posted on those threads in a decent way my disapproval of what others had to say about Atheists, Gays, and Muslims. I am no communist by any stretch of the imagination, but I do believe in having a 'United Front' with those who are needlessly being abused just because of the way they are or the color of their skin.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Well, I don't know what to tell you, but it does you soul good to vent when you feel stressed about a situation. Personally I hate to think that any group is being targeted over another. Perhaps I should hang out in these religious forums a bit more and get a feel for what's going on. Sadly, current events (a.k.a. work) are keeping me from being as involved as I would like.

O! I almost forgot to thrash you.

[edit on 2-4-2008 by dbates]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

You know madness.
Funny you should take the pity me approach considering since I got here you have been on a offensive for your belief set.

I could honestly care less what you believe (atheism or otherwise if you so chose to) and as long as you don't make it an issue and attack my belief system I would have left you be. And I am sure at least a few others of those you try to say are "bashing" you would do the same.

You cast repeated insults at those who are not of your belief set.

You twist words and logic to make those not of your belief set out to be stupid/ignorant/savage/primitive and etc. Complete with name calling.

And your precious Major was worst of it. That is why she is gone. And I say good riddens.

And yes, you are good at hiding behind the T&C to do so.
And some of the mods have let you get away with your insults.

But need I point out your very own profile comments?
How insulting they are?
If you don't want to get attacked (by me) then don't attack others.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   

You cast repeated insults at those who are not of your belief set.

From what I see on this board, both parties are guilty of undermining each other. This is not necessarily a bad thing. It keeps the debate going. It is when people get personal with their accusations that it goes over the line. This, I'm sure, is what the OP and Wraoth is speaking of.

Here is some advice for those that want to take part in the discussion.

If you are one to get offended when someone tries to prove your beliefs wrong, I advise to stay away from such an emotional discussion. This makes you easily angered and more prone to lashing out negatively.

If ou are one to make statements like "THIS is proof God exists and Athiests are STUPID!!1!" or "Jesus the son of god?!1! I though we were supposed to deny ignorance." Such posts or threads my get you a high hit count, but these postings are demeaning and completely unnecessary.

Here is my advice to the two sides.

Theists- Don't preach. You are not going to reach anyone on the internet spewing fire and brimstone. You may have a good point but no one can see it through the BS. When it comes to dealing with people that disagree, be polite and respectful. What Would Jesus Do? He wouldn't react to rudeness with more rudeness.

Atheists- Do not assume that anyone who believes in a God or something like it, is ignorant or grossly stupid. State your case politely. Both parties have strong emotional ties to their beliefs, it would not benefit you to stoop to a level lower than politics to make your point.

And just to clear things up, Atheists do not want to burn your Bible and Theists don't want to stop scientific advancement(Only the environmentalists do , kidding).

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DINSTAAR

Well said DINSTAAR.

This line is fun because I added it to not get in trouble.
Fun fun fun fun.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
(Puts hand up)

I agree with the OP. Religious axegrinders are getting away with murder on this board.

I've pretty much been called a drug fiend and promoter of drug abuse by one of them. And not once but twice: once in a thread post and a second time in the poster's profile. For all I know, it's still there.

Please understand: I am not complaining that the author of these insults has gone unpunished; I am complaining that he was able to hurl them in happy confidence that he could get away with it. Well, I want to be able to do the same -- not that I would, I've more style than that -- but I'd like to see the god-botherers' apparent special protection removed. A formal affirmation by ATS management that atheists and believers are and will always be held strictly to the same rules and standards would be greatly welcomed.

I suppose one can always hope...

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Astyanax

oh, i remember that incident...same poster who questioned my sexuality and has repeatedly and blatantly lied about many things

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Dudes, Dudettes and everyone in between.

If you can't stand the heat, then get out of hells kitchen.

If someone breaks the T&C's. Then complain. Complain at the time, not x amount of months later...

... or ...

STFU.

MonKey

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

...i did complain, repeatedly. i alerted the mods to the attacks with alerts and even a direct u2u, nothing happened.

i'm logical enough to not just rant a month later without doing that sort of stuff first.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
i'd like to just post something here. it's further evidence that ATS has been a thrashing service for Atheists.

MajorMalfunction was banned for this post and i may very well be sanctioned in some way for speaking about it, but it's entirely on topic.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I agree ATS is a worse place without MM, (and several other members who got banned around the same time??), I enjoyed her posts and she had bigger balls than the vast majority of men here.
However, she contravened T&C.
If I remember correctly wasn't there also something about U2U's to other members / mods etc.
Point is, I don't think it was JUST about that one post by itself.
I'm sure MM has had opportunity to contact ATS and reach some compromise etc, that she hasn't, to my knowledge, speaks volumes and as such she should not be used as some sort of "cause celebre".

I can only repeat, let's wait and see if NGC2736's promised increased monitoring and policing of the CiR Forum has any effect.

Also consider MIMS, civility is required by and from ALL members.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

of course it is, but i actually see a conspiracy surrounding MM's banning (odd for someone who tends to stay away from the actual "conspiracy" stuff here)

but that's not the point here. the point is that certain members, particularly Conspiriology, have engaged in outrageous violations of the T&C without any sanction at all, some have committed more minor offenses that would still warrant a warn without getting anything.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Maybe it's a case of all the whining and moaning is just a bit OTT... I mean, really MM's been gone a while now and this is the internet not real life.

I'm sure she was/is a lovely lady in RL and I really respected her posts, but she gone history and those that do not learn from it are doomed to repeat it, catch ma drift.

Also there is nothing worse for everybody here now, if people/members are always waxing lyrical along the lines of "it used to be so much better before, the members were so much better before" the negativity really gets my goat, sheep and pig.

It is what it is... Like it, Love it or leave it alone!

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Essentially I agree with you, it's just that the people who tend to post in CiR debates are passionate about their beliefs and sometimes that passion manifests itself in an aggressive manner.
(Tends to be the problem with most belief systems)

Con is a well intentioned person who is definately very "passionate" in his postings.
I think he thinks that Christianity is being attacked on ATS and he tries to defend his faith.

As you know, I personally think it's all a crock but I respect people who are passionate and considered in their beliefs.
I just think it would be more beneficial for us all if the same people were more openminded and respectful to those of differing opinions and beliefs.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
I'm sorry, but as an atheist on ATS who has been here for a long time and contributed much with very little in the way of warnings and misbehavior (and that was when I was still new), I am appalled that people who have outright crossed the line repeatedly on ATS have yet to be sanctioned

As an Atheist myself, I can say almost the opposite.

While my fellow Atheists like to pretend that we are above the fray, we are not.

Almost every single post by an Atheist about Atheism seems at the very least to imply that if you are not an Atheist, you are a retarded non thinking moron with zero capacity for critical thinking.

This doesn't generally forster good will or "spread the word" so to speak.
:bnghd:

It also seems like Atheists here feel persecuted when in truth we are really not, we do it to ourselves.

Sure there are loudmouths who make much trouble but in general as long as you keep your "your about as smart as a rock, for believing in any religion" comments to yourself, you'll be largely left alone.

As far as protectionism.. get used to it.
ATS is selective in its moral and ethical code.

Conservatives are treated the same way

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
cosign with the OP. Like lots of other topics, I have found forums elsewhere better suited for those types of discussions. It seems that's the official ATS policy as well: "If you don't like it, go somewhere else."

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
When I was brand new on here (I'm still pretty new) I checked out the religious threads a few times. I'm interested in these discussions because I think I have both a spiritual and a sceptical side. Sometimes I agree with the atheists, sometimes the theists, often with the agnostics.

To my dismay the conversations always seemed to break down into bitter attacks on each other. The Christians basically told the atheists they were going to burn forever in hell, and the atheists and non-Christians basically called the Christians complete fools. I didn't feel that I gained anything from reading them.

Madnessinmysoul, I admire many of your posts and always read them with interest. I haven't noticed any where you have been uncivil. I hope you continue in this vein.

I'm reading this thread so I haven't given up on these debates entirely, though I seldom go there.

:bnghd:

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join