It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS: Atheist Thrashing Service

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology
madd they are quotes! That was all! How can you say they are out of context when they haven't been said in the context of any argument?

...they were in the context of a discussion and most of them were in reply.

Do they embarrass you?

no, i think it's just a bit sad that you go through all this trouble jsut to attack me.

You can quote anything I have said madd I would be honored. I just never say anything so fathoms deep as,,, well allow me to demonstrate why I don't see how they can be taken out of context.

i never said they were all taken out of context

You said; "Atheists have no belief"

...it's true. atheists have no particular belief
i meant atheists have no belief by virtue of being an atheist.

Then you said: "I don't preach Atheism, I am just telling people about it"

If you have no belief,, What in Gods name are you telling them about??

hmm...
maybe it's that whole "we should be treated as people" thing that many theists can't wrap their heads around
or maybe it's informing of them of why we choose to not accept religions

So don't accuse me of taking anything out of context when the context contradicts itself in the same sentence.

...the context doesn't contradict itself.

i just clearly demonstrated what i could be talking about. atheism, not believing in a deity, has no particular beliefs, it just lacks one. i can talk about why people are atheists, who they are, what books they've written, etc etc

screw it, i'm not going to respond to the rest because i know that no matter what i have to say, you have a vendetta against me. i even tried to politely send a u2u to you about it, but you seem to have ignored it

i'm going to give you two options. we engage in a debate and play nice or you keep trying to bicker with me.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
"ATS: Atheist Thrashing Service"

As a senior staff member of this board, and as an atheist myself, I think I would have to disagree. I have not reviewed this whole thread, but there are plenty of atheists on the staff that could have easily chimed in and said the same. How could this be a "thrashing" service of such a population, if the population in question is highly represented by the staff that are asked to run it?

If nothing else, can we agree that religion is as subjective that an issue can get and rarely do we see opposing views met with acceptance. This subject can bring the worst out in people and when someone sees their point of view being wronged, it invokes a serious knee-jerk reaction. In this quick reaction, the actions taken against the opposing sides of view are often overlooked.

You are entitled to your opinion and I do not post to sway your thought process on this. I just think you should know that there are plenty like yourself on the staff.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiriology

Then you said: "I don't preach Atheism, I am just telling people about it"

Isn't that an incorrect statement anyway?
Preaching and "telling people about it" always seemed to me to be at least a little similar.

But its showing that he expects everyone to not rule him by the same rule he rules everyone else. As he has shown MULTIPLE times.

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Or you could get the clue madness.
And lay off your wrong assumption that you have any right to criticize other's belief structures because as a matter of course you think yours is superior.
Your spewing intolerance pure and simple.
Which is as I have pointed out you have done multiple times now.

It's rather sad mad.
Considering the fact that you think you have every right to call large numbers of another group delusional, stupid etc etc etc and when they respond to your obviously provoking and unwarranted BS, you scream about being persecuted.
Especially when you note that when YOUR OWN STATEMENTS are flipped on you, you don't take AT ALL kindly to that.

You seem to me to be a pretty intelligent person with a rather insane inability to see that you can do any wrong.
Tell me this, have you ever admitted a wrong in your life much less this board? Cause I have yet to see you do that on this board in the months I have dealt with you.
Doesn't mean your stupid. Means your human.
And its the mark of a real man when he admits his faults.

And no I am not trying to say your ALWAYS wrong, amazingly enough no one is always wrong, statistically speaking at least, but the same can be said on always being right, that is not possible
. So don't even try going there.

But what do I know I am just a troll.

*chuckles and says something about the convenience of pidgin holing people*

[edit on 5-4-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Oops, wrong thread. Sorry.

[edit on 4/5/08 by idle_rocker]

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by WraothAscendant

wraoth, lay off of it. it's not intolerance to criticize a choice you disagree with.

is it now intolerant for me to criticize libertarian economic policies? would it be intolerant for me to criticize republican social policies?

simple fact is that it wouldn't. you're just extending a special protection to religion here.
if i say "i disagree with the parts in the bible where it says you should stone homosexuals and disobedient children and hold women in subservience" it's criticizing a policy. if i say it's stupid to do so, it's because i'm thinking from a modern viewpoint
and it's odd that i'm not allowed to criticize a belief structure which inherently states that i am a fool and that there is no goodness in me...

It's rather sad mad.
Considering the fact that you think you have every right to call large numbers of another group delusional, stupid etc etc etc and when they respond to your obviously provoking and unwarranted BS, you scream about being persecuted.

first of all, it's how you look at the word "delusional"
dawkins prefaces his book "the god delusion" with such an explanation of the term

de·lu·sion (d-lzhn)
n.
a. The act or process of deluding.
b. The state of being deluded.
2. A false belief or opinion: labored under the delusion that success was at hand.'

definition 2 is the one i've been using in reference to a "delusion"
you can also define a delusion as a belief held in the face of contradicting evidence.

and i've called beliefs stupid, and i feel it's my right to state that certain beliefs are just stupid. in fact, i know i can call many things in the bible stupid without even the average christian batting an eye. it's stupid for you to stone your child for disobedience, it's stupid for you to not eat certain foods for the simple sake of religion, etc.

there's plenty in the bible that's stupid, there's plenty in the belief system that's stupid, but that doesn't mean that those who agree with the belief system are stupid, especially since i see that there's plenty in christianity that is far from stupid (love thy neighbor, turn the other cheek, don't commit adultery or murder, etc)

Especially when you note that when YOUR OWN STATEMENTS are flipped on you, you don't take AT ALL kindly to that.

they were taken entirely out of context. were they in the context of the thread where i originally stated them, i'd have no problem

Tell me this, have you ever admitted a wrong in your life much less this board?

yes to both.
and ask con if you want a full history of my posts to check through, he apparently has archive of all of my 6700something posts.

...i never pigeon holed you as a troll, i've just said that a certain remark you keep repeating is an act of trolling when brought up in certain instances. aside from that remark your posts tend to be non-trolling.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChiKeyMonKey
Dudes, Dudettes and everyone in between.

If you can't stand the heat, then get out of hells kitchen.

If someone breaks the T&C's. Then complain. Complain at the time, not x amount of months later...

Man, I totally agree with you, as I always have. This madnessinmysoul guy continues to go on here. A madman of sorts reason I have him on ignore. I'd rather deny ignorace than let it hurt me this way. I have no problem with trashing Atheits, actually I enjoy it very, very much as I know some of them are devil worshippers. many of them (not saying all) but some, fight God and that's all they talk about and it could have been that they were beaten or abused as children and they blame everyone else for their spiritual weakness. As you can see, someone already got hurt from this, banned! What kind of person wants someone else banned? only an insecure person who denies god. I want to give advice to the atheits of this board-let go of you past and read up on God only then you will be saved and you will be happier in you life. you will then let the hatred go instead of directing it at other people it will go inside you and transform to positive energy. I stay away from satan's pupils, but I had to say something here because I feel this thread is only here to hurt people who are christians. Peace.
Jedimiller.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well isn't this the Atheist Thrashing Service thread or am I in the wrong thread yet again? :w:

And what exactly is an Atheist Thrashing Service? Does that mean we get to thrash you, or you get to thrash anyone that's not atheist? A bit intolerant I would say, either way.

But I'm just one of those Christians with wrong views, so I'll behave myself and not thrash anyone, thank you very much.

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
It appears every group takes its share of thrashing here in ATS. I am certainly guilty of "thrashing" Christians at times and not alwyas proud of myself. Sometimes I am proud of my retorts........whatever.

But what group is spared on ATS? Does any group make it under the radar?

posted on Apr, 6 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

wraoth, lay off of it. it's not intolerance to criticize a choice you disagree with.

Hmmmmmm Yet when they do it to you. You scream persecution.
Rrrrrriiiiigggggghhhhhhhhttttttttt.
Something about how some people think their feces don't stink comes to mind.
And calling people delusional, ignorant, etc etc etc falls more than a little short of acceptable criticizing especially when you have no solid proof to back your own beliefs.
And hells yea it's intolerance.

is it now intolerant for me to criticize libertarian economic policies? would it be intolerant for me to criticize republican social policies?

Not the same ballpark there kiddo.
I figured you'd have figured that out considering how little you tolerate criticism of your particular belief set/religion.

simple fact is that it wouldn't. you're just extending a special protection to religion here.
if i say "i disagree with the parts in the bible where it says you should stone homosexuals and disobedient children and hold women in subservience" it's criticizing a policy. if i say it's stupid to do so, it's because i'm thinking from a modern viewpoint
and it's odd that i'm not allowed to criticize a belief structure which inherently states that i am a fool and that there is no goodness in me...

1) You don't just say "i disagree with the parts in the bible where it says you should stone homosexuals and disobedient children and hold women in subservience" you call them well need I drag out the list again? Think I typed it enough.

2) When you call believers of something those names I don't feel like typing for the umptenth time. Your insulting them personally. And largely forgetting the fact that for one they probly don't agree with with stoning homosexuals and persecuting women. Your making assumptions about a rather large group of people based on idiosyncrasies a large portion of them don't agree with anyway.

3) By being childish and calling them it back for sheer spite? Of course not.
It's called maturity and not sinking to another's level.
And a point I feel it behooves me to make is, not all of them agree with that.
I have achieved a large level of respect with a great many christians. Despite the fact I am not a Christian and make no bones about making sure they know that. Hell most of their only gripe with you is that you feel you have the right to insult them repeatedly and that your in the right for doing so.

4) It's not the "modern" view point. Sorry. It's your and your group's view point. Regardless how much you would like to pretend every person who has a spiritual belief is a "primitive" it simply isn't so. Like I have said a gazillion times, unless you have solid undebatable proof there is no possibility of a higher power/prime mover/god stop with the insults already.

*the semantic section in which you attempt to justify your intolerance will be ignored*
Oh. And like I said. Prove it undebatably. Otherwise your terms are insults based on a narrow minded view that can't back it's own statements.

they were taken entirely out of context. were they in the context of the thread where i originally stated them, i'd have no problem

There is no possible way to not take calling someone stupid, primitive, delusional etc etc etc in a good context.
Once again. Remember how you scream when they do the same thing to you?

yes to both.
and ask con if you want a full history of my posts to check through, he apparently has archive of all of my 6700something posts.

Yep I remember the half arsed apologies you obviously didn't mean.

...i never pigeon holed you as a troll, i've just said that a certain remark you keep repeating is an act of trolling when brought up in certain instances. aside from that remark your posts tend to be non-trolling.

For disagreeing and stating how you are pushing that book like the certain christians do the bible. Which you then go on and call me a troll in other posts. Using very similar words none the less. Oh me oh my such an evil troll am I.

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by WraothAscendant

Hmmmmmm Yet when they do it to you. You scream persecution.
Rrrrrriiiiigggggghhhhhhhhttttttttt.
Something about how some people think their feces don't stink comes to mind.

...i said criticize. if someone actually criticized the lack of belief in a deity on some sort of philosophical basis, i'd agree with them.

And calling people delusional, ignorant, etc etc etc falls more than a little short of acceptable criticizing

i'm not really one to throw "delusional" out and i reserve ignorant for specific cases of ignorance (like if i hear someone repeating the tired old myth that darwin recanted his theory on his deathbed :bnghd

especially when you have no solid proof to back your own beliefs.

...that's why i'm an agnostic atheist

i admit that i cannot know, but i believe that the lack of evidence for either is the reason to not accept any deity. it's the same as the celestial teapot. i cannot be 100% certain that it doesn't exist, as it's impossible to disprove it's existence, but i'm quite certain that it doesn't and choose to not believe in it

Not the same ballpark there kiddo.
I figured you'd have figured that out considering how little you tolerate criticism of your particular belief set/religion.

i have no problem with people criticizing my lack of belief in a deity.
if someone actually tried giving a logically sound philosophical argument for the existence of god i'd actually be happy to have a discussion with them
my problem is when people throw out things like "atheists are commies who have killed more people than anyone else in history"
which is actually a bit more bigoted than calling someone who regurgitates myths about evolution "ignorant"

1) You don't just say "i disagree with the parts in the bible where it says you should stone homosexuals and disobedient children and hold women in subservience" you call them well need I drag out the list again? Think I typed it enough.

show me an instance where i said "all believers are delusional"
in fact, i don't think i've ever used the word delusional, though i have defended the use of that word for certain beleivers.

2) When you call believers of something those names I don't feel like typing for the umptenth time.

no
i
don't.
evidence, please
you say i call them ignorant, but i only do so when they say something ignorant. not because they believe.

Your insulting them personally. And largely forgetting the fact that for one they probly don't agree with with stoning homosexuals and persecuting women. Your making assumptions about a rather large group of people based on idiosyncrasies a large portion of them don't agree with anyway.

...i've yet to see you actually prove that i use personal attacks. show me one in context.

you know what, juts like con, you've got a vendetta. you keep saying i call people delusional, but i highly doubt you could ever justify the statement with some solid evidence.

in fact, i've repeatedly stated that most believers aren't stupid.

but you don't want to listen to that...
hell, you don't even acknowledge that i have the tolerance to say something like

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
anyway, meremortal, just be there as a good friend above all else. that's the best thing you can do. a good friend is there in whatever way needed, so do what you can to make her last bit of time as comfortable for her. help her with her crisis of faith, but make sure that you're also just there as a person to share a good laugh with.

i just want to emphasize friendship here, it's something very important to all of us. maybe helping her realize that you're there for her will help her with her struggle to believe, as it would make believing that god is there for her easier.

...nah, i'm just a bigot against religion, i'd never say something like that in a thread

posted on Apr, 7 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Honestly you guys are all wrong in every way. Basically what is happening here is divide and conquer. Everyone is turning on each other and honestly it is making me sick. Christians are making me sick in particular.

Here is some quote for all you Christians:

M.7:3-5 Do not try to correct others until your own blinding faults are gone. Make your own heart right, and then you may be able to render spiritual guidance to others. L.6:42

"Agree with thine adversary quickly" Mathew 5:25

Don't get me wrong I enjoy debating with Atheists and Christians, but there is a difference between a meaningful debate and an all out pointless bashing session.

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Equinox99

1) I am not Christian. I merely defend anyones right to believe what they want as long as they don't harm anyone else. Madness believes his belief set/religion is righteous (I add self before that righteous) and it gives him every right to insult their intelligence every chance he gets. I am attempting to teach him that he is doing is fostering intolerance and is in fact making the situation worse.

2) I remember there was also something about not passing judgment? Which is what you are passing, without even knowing whats going on apparently.

[edit on 8-4-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Apr, 8 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   

...i said criticize. if someone actually criticized the lack of belief in a deity on some sort of philosophical basis, i'd agree with them.

Sorry MIMS but I would believe that when I saw it.
Remember our little Crusade debate?
How you conceded my point then proceeded to reverse that by saying even though religion was obviously not the one of the core reasons it was STILL a Religious war? Which is the teflon coated double speak con talks about.
I watch you do that often.

i'm not really one to throw "delusional" out and i reserve ignorant for specific cases of ignorance (like if i hear someone repeating the tired old myth that darwin recanted his theory on his deathbed)

You were there?
You knew someone who was?
Doesn't really matter either way anyway in the big scheme of things.
They will continue to say that, and you continue to say otherwise.
Either side having not been there to know either way.
Your both rather guilty of ignorance in that case.
Pure hearsay.

...that's why i'm an agnostic atheist

i admit that i cannot know, but i believe that the lack of evidence for either is the reason to not accept any deity. it's the same as the celestial teapot. i cannot be 100% certain that it doesn't exist, as it's impossible to disprove it's existence, but i'm quite certain that it doesn't and choose to not believe in it

1) Yet you preach (and insult by it) as if you KNEW it to be true. Remember that tripe about you having the "Modern viewpoint" which is also a rather passive aggressive and annoying approach to calling anyone who sees things differently as following a "primitive viewpoint".

2) I don't care what you believe or not believe either way. You feel seem to feel superior in your beliefs so much that it gives you a right to insult other beliefs. That I do care about. Again I mention the word intolerance.

[quote
i have no problem with people criticizing my lack of belief in a deity.
if someone actually tried giving a logically sound philosophical argument for the existence of god i'd actually be happy to have a discussion with them

Rrrrrriiiiiiggggghhhhhhhttttttttttt
Have tried that myself with you. Certainly didn't happen like you claim it would.

my problem is when people throw out things like "atheists are commies who have killed more people than anyone else in history"
which is actually a bit more bigoted than calling someone who regurgitates myths about evolution "ignorant"

The first part is a mirror (equal and opposite) to your argument, and regardless how you try to squirm out of it you HAVE used it.

As for that last part, evolution is a theory and not set in stone, regardless how much you want to pretend otherwise. Unless you can come up once again with cold hard undebatable proof that the current theory of evolution is dead on?

show me an instance where i said "all believers are delusional"
in fact, i don't think i've ever used the word delusional, though i have defended the use of that word for certain beleivers.

Look in this thread.

no
i
don't.
evidence, please
you say i call them ignorant, but i only do so when they say something ignorant. not because they believe.

Again look in this thread. And the rest, well, I'd have to go digging and I see bed in my immediate future. I guess them taking away the posts thing on the profile was a bad thing.

...i've yet to see you actually prove that i use personal attacks. show me one in context.

you know what, juts like con, you've got a vendetta. you keep saying i call people delusional, but i highly doubt you could ever justify the statement with some solid evidence.

in fact, i've repeatedly stated that most believers aren't stupid.

but you don't want to listen to that...
hell, you don't even acknowledge that i have the tolerance to say something like

I can and I will. Just "Not the now." tomorrow when I feel like looking threw diverse threads to give you plenty of what you request.

And here we go again, "persecution, persecution, persecution".

posted on Apr, 9 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Oh and......
Here goes someone I don't know saying pretty much the same thing while debating you madness.
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 10 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by WraothAscendant

i explained the issue there. i tend to enjoy the good doctor's posts and was merely making a point that someone who is reasonable wouldn't make that statement for homosexuals and the perspective that puts on thing.

i apologized that it could have sounded like i was accusing doc of thinking a certain way when that was not what i meant.

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I am an Atheist from birth and it's not a question of "Do I Believe?"....... because Yes, I do!

I have an amazingly strong belief... just not in something that isn't real.

I am my own God, and THIS is MY Universe.

Maybe our universes will cross one day my friends, if not, don't worry...I'll see you in the *** STARS ***

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Madness... in short.... "This is madness."

I don't know what hole you have been hiding your head in, but there are more threads knocking religon in general than bashing atheism. Are you going to tell me threads with topic titles like "Why does religon compel men to abuse women," "Who thinks god is ET," "How religon is corrupting our children," and any number of threads accusing various churches of brainwashing their members into submission, or gang-raping peaple, or being scientifically ignorant, or plotting to throw the world into another dark age, are NOT bashing religon.

So dude, chill. Have fun , and just relax. There is an equal number of bashings happening on BOTH sides. There is VERY little favortism happening in this field

posted on Apr, 11 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Oh and by the way, the sheer number of people on this thread supporting your pro-atheist movement should indicate that you have NO reason to fear.
I'm serious. Just scroll through this thread. Look at all your comrades. Rest assured, u have ample numbers to repel any "conspiracies."

Once again. You can all chill.
:shk:

posted on Apr, 13 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crusader of Truth

Once again. You can all chill.
:shk:

I think some of us are already chilled, but thankyou for the advice........man

That doesn't mean we posters should just stop sharing our opinions about this and personally, I'm not bashing anyone or any religion here..I'm just supporting my own right to believe the obvious, truthful and most logical explanation for ME!

And my belief is Strong, belief in ME......sorry I can't put that belief into a religion or a god or a book or similar, but if I did that, I would have to declare myself insane! Sorry.

Each to their own, good luck in whichever path you choose, I won't push you (non -atheists) in the ditch if you don't try and block the path with your cart.

ps..thanks for all the wonderful art and architecture, I particularly like stained windows and marble carvings, Winchester Cathedral in UK is stunning on a sunny day.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join