It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon: Colleges 'Must Hand Over Names'

page: 1/
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Pentagon: Colleges 'Must Hand Over Names'

www.armytimes.com

The Defense Department has announced a new get-tough policy with colleges and universities that interfere with the work of military recruiters and Reserve Officer Training Corps programs.

Under rules that will take effect April 28, defense officials said they want the exact same access to student directories that is provided to all other prospective employers.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I got a creepy vibe when I read this...Sounds like the sharks are circling in on the prey....I just read a Joint Chiefs of staff memo this morning where General Richard Cody was talking about how exhausted and overstretched our military was and he was repeatedly making references to needing drastic changes to "An All-Voluntary Force"...I'm getting the unnerving suspicion that if TPTB keep on their course with the mongering, we will be seeing the "D" word thrown around regularly soon...Not good....I hope people are paying attention to this---All of our and our kids futures may be affected by it...

www.armytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-4-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   
That's very scary, I really hope a military recruiter doesn't come knockin on my door. I'm just glad i live close to the border just incase there is a draft

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Who cares? It's government money, they're free to dictate rules about how it can and can't be spent.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by thought
Who cares? It's government money, they're free to dictate rules about how it can and can't be spent.

No, it's taxpayer money.

Do you know anything about government? Real question. Do you?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   

EVERYONE 'should' care! We are stuck in an illegal war right now with no end in sight, and the idiots in the Whitehouse are frothing at the mouth to get another one going--Iran!

With our military already stretched to the breaking point, where do you think they are going to fill the gaps in for these and future conflicts?

This is not a good sign at all.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
In response to 88- yes I do know something about the government. It is representative of the people. If the people don't like what the government is doing here they should call Congress. I won't. This is voluntary recruitment. No one is conscripting students into service.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Exactly when they go after Iran that just about draws the line for me. Actually Iraq allready did. But I think your signature says it all DimensionalDetective

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I'm not going to Iraq no matter what Bushie tells me to do. He's not my mother or father, nor does he command me. He is the commander-in-chief for the volunteer military.

If there's a draft, this country will erupt in civil war. I'm in school right now learning now to leave a lighter impact on the environment (and sustainability) and the government wants info about me?

Geez, read ats. That's all the info you need to know about any of us, students or otherwise.

We are the REAL patriots. Not the neo-con watered down fascist pro-war "patriotism" the media feeds us.

Stand up and fight for what you believe in, and don't let the bullies treat you like an idiot. We are a self-determined people and we don't answer to violence or coercion.

[edit on 4/2/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by thought

The government hasn't represented the peoples wishes in some time now. Cheney said "so?" when questioned about the anti-war movement in the country. It is clear Bush's approval rating is HIGHER than that of Congress because they're the crooks and liars who promised to change and challenge the current Administration's crimes.

Not only have they done nothing to help, they've become complacent in the neo-cons wars of terror.

The last draft happened in Vietnam, and I could see that happening again if the "surge" continues to fail (which it has).

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

What would the surge failing have to do with the draft? Furthermore, aren't you aware that the leading candidates right now want to END the war in Iraq?

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   

What would the surge failing have to do with the draft? Furthermore, aren't you aware that the leading candidates right now want to END the war in Iraq?

HUH? The dude being groomed by the corrupted MSM for the top slot---John McInsane--Wants to do anything BUT end this war. Nor will any of the other candidates---They are all corp / M.I.C. shills!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by thought

I doubt they want to end it. They tell the people just what they want to hear so that they will vote for them. Not that the vote matters anyways.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Groomed??? Show me one media piece that makes JMI look good...all I've seen is stuff that portrays him as half-senile and a liar (which in my opinion, he is).

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thought

If the surge fails, more troops will be needed to "resurge" (clever huh?). McCain wants to be in Iraq for another 100 years and Clinton/Obama have said we'll take our time taking the troops out. The war may end soon enough, but that's because all our troops are going to give Bush the finger and fly home. Not because some politician in Washington wanted to end it, but because they're sick of being lied to and treated like dogs.

The military deserve respect and that means if the top commanders tell us we're failing in Iraq, we need to listen to them.

The veterans who come back from Iraq say its FUBAR and they don't want to go back for more tours of duty. Some have gone back 3 times now and I'd say they're pretty much ready to come home now.

If and when the schools give the government more information on students and civilians in general, they will know when we're done with college. The last draft didn't take current students, but if you were kicked out...well you were going to war.

I can see this happening again. That's my main concern. I plan on leaving this country soon enough anyway, but I don't want to be restricted from leaving because I'm supposed to report for duty once I graduate.

That's absolute crap.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thought

The Democratic party is being ruined by the Obama/Clinton feud and soon McCain will be the only choice, albeit a terrible one at that. The Democrat battle is bringing both of them down and soon it won't matter how bad McCain looks he'll be the only one without constant smear campaigns.

Check this crap out:

Students can opt out of having their information turned over to the military only if they opt out of having their information provided to all other recruiters, but schools cannot have policies that exclude only the military, defense officials said in a March 28 notice of the new policy in the Federal Register.

The Defense Department “will honor only those student ‘opt-outs’ from the disclosure of directory information that are even-handedly applied to all prospective employers seeking information for recruiting purposes,” the notice says.

Students will not be allowed to provide information to potential employers UNLESS they also send their info to the government.

This sounds like a great way to track all of us and create a master database for when the draft comes. Clever...but sick.

Directories are an important recruiting tool because they include the names, birthdates, phone numbers and academic pursuits of college students that can be used to identify people with knowledge and interests that are particularly useful to the military.

This is a great way to groom potential candidates for intelligence work among other areas.

The new policy also no longer lets schools ban military recruiters from working on campuses solely because a school determines that no students have expressed interest in joining the military. If other employers are invited, the military has to have the same access.

My school definitely does not allow the military on campus, but it looks like they'll have to if any kind of "green businesses" want to come.

My old university actually had ROTC on campus because in order to get certain federal funding for students it was necessary.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   

College recruitment or no college recruitment makes no difference as far as any potential draft is concerned. Every male over the age of 18 must register for selective service (basically a dormant for now draft registry), by law.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I personally invite you all up here to Canada if they bring back conscription.

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Silenceisall

Yep, that's a great move to make if you want to go to jail. I will remind you that Canada DOES have an extradition treaty with the United States!

posted on Apr, 2 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by thought

We also have a lot of deserters up here who remain here. There is no big push to send them back, because Canadians are strongly opposed to this "war."

[edit on 2-4-2008 by Silenceisall]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join