It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lights breaking when you get mad

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Speaking from personal experience, the only time a light broke when I was mad, is when I did a kicking motion out of anger, my slipper flying off, straight into the ceiling lights, which ended up doing a free fall onto the floor.

Funny? yes.

Supernatural? maybe in some cultures.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'd be surprised if even a simple power surge could break a bulb. A power surge would add additional heat to the system, which I suppose could break the bulb if the bulb were cold and it was heated suddenly beyond what it normally could accept.

But if the bulb were already warm, and that sounds like it's the case, it would have to be one heck of a power surge to generate enough heat to push the glass beyond its capacity to maintain integrity. The filaments inside the bulb should burn out long before the glass would ever break.

I guess that brings up another point. It might make this easier if the bulbs were faulty. If you assume that the filaments in these bulbs are too strong and aren't breaking when they should, and you also assume that the glass is weaker than it should be, then power surges might be a plausible explanation.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
Personally I have never had that happen. One thing that does always happen to me though is whenever I go by street lights they turn off for no reason. It happens all the time while I'm walking to the store.

This happens to me quite often, as well. I think it happens to everyone. It's just that some people take notice of it and others don't. I've never heard any other plausible explanation for the phenomenon, but it certainly does happen to me a lot.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I also have seen this happen many times but with everything else, its not just one paranormal thing that happens. Use the energy, dont trip on it and move on. Sounds as if you may have the ability to use telekinesis. So in working on your own energy you may be able to eventually tap into the quiet places in your mind that can do much more.
A personal Story.
Once I was sitting in a bar with an old Indian man. I am a semi tall and Nordic looking, and I was telling him that I am also Indian from his same tribe.
He was rude and insisted that I could not be as he is short and dark. Between us were two bottles of beer, at some point I was so angered that I said strongly "I AM Chocktaw"! At that point the beer bottle in front of him went flying across the room and shattered on the wall. He practically fell out of his chair! I helped him back up and then told him I was leaving.
When you have this ability, it is best to from my prospective and advice, to nurture your good side, to use the ability, and not let it use you. I do not really believe in good and bad, but not now, not here.
Take the middle path, do not abuse your power. Save it and it will grow, use it through your ego and it will dissapear.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
To the OP:

Perhaps my first post was a bit condescending, but I think you can see why if you objectively look at your first post. You posited that your light bulbs are breaking simply because you're angry. Later, when questioned, you said that there is also a lot of yelling. Well, that's more than just being angry.

Is there more going on when this happens than just yelling? Is there any pushing or shoving? Hitting the walls? Pounding the tables with fists?

I'm sure there is a rational explanation for it, but simply being angry isn't a rational explanation or a plausible cause.

Here are some things I would think are more plausible:

1. Defective bulbs
2. Lamps that are subject to regular vibrations that are weakening the bulbs
3. Physical shock to the bulb of some sort during an argument
4. Extreme temperature swings that weaken the bulb

I don't know what, exactly, is happening in your case, but there is just no reason to jump to the immediate conclusion that this is a paranormal bulb-breaking event caused by emotional trauma. If you post this sort of thing to this sort of forum, you have to expect a lot of people who are going to approach the issue with a bit more objectivity.

I apologize for my condescension. I'm sure we'll be able to get to the bottom of this if you provide us more details. Then again, without being able to exam the bulbs, the lamps and the environment, we might not be able to answer this.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Good grief...sorry to keep adding so many posts to this thread, but I wanted to mention one more thing. I'm open to the idea that telekinesis could exist. However, I still need some proof. Lots of people claim to have the ability but they *always* fail when attempting to prove it. If any of you can point me toward real testing of this ability under controlled conditions that turned out positively, let me know.

Maybe this is a real phenomenon, but I need some proof. Anecdote from strangers on the Internet doesn't count. Personal experience is enough to convince ourselves of something, but it is not enough to prove something to someone else.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Go see James Randi, throw him across the room, get the $1m, and give it to the Choktaw

Seriously, stories like that are a dime a dozen, yet no-one's EVER been able to do that in even a remotely-controlled setting. I'm sure you're very convinced of what you've seen, but that's not the same as evidence.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neiby
Personal experience is enough to convince ourselves of something, but it is not enough to prove something to someone else.

that is the golden spittoon of the matter, isn't it? a personal experience may be the honest to death truth, or it could be a fabrication of one's personal fantastical desire for what they want the truth to be. either way...it's their own to cherish, to be inspired by, to question, to research, and to analyze the wiggles out of it.

i do not think the OP needs proof, just alternative explanations for their own experience to think over.

so to the OP, i think anger is one of the most power weapons humans have. it divides families, races, sexes, nations, and beliefs. it is not too much of a stretch to think of anger having physical consequences. being the creative bunch we are, we have founds ways of transforming any physical object into a medium for our anger. i think russell crowe used a phone once to beat somebody, the atomic bombing of japan, fingers on a keyboard posting to a forum, rope, knives, guns, pillows, a small hammer, a glass bottle, politics, etc etc etc. these things aren't evil, just have been used by our anger.

i see it as conceivable that one could utilize their energy as a medium for their anger, as well. i do not condone using anything against another to harm them, but i am sure that it is possible. just because i cannot see it, or it is not a normal or conventional medium, does not mean it is not used.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
It's surprising how many people seem to be unaware that the so-called "Poltergeist" (yes, "skeptics" use that word, too - it's a description) can be very real. I've mentioned it my first reply, but it seems it was to no avail. So, here is an excerpt from the Wikipedia entry:

Caused by physical forces

Some scientists and skeptics propose that all poltergeist activity that they can't trace to fraud has a physical explanation such as static electricity, electromagnetic fields, ultra-, and infrasound and/or ionized air. In some cases, such as the Rosenheim poltergeist case, the physicist F. Karger from the Max-Planck-Institut für Plasmaphysik and G. Zicha from the Technical University of Munich found none of these effects present and psi proponents claim that no evidence of fraud was ever found, even after a sustained investigation from the police force and CID, though criminologist Herbert Schäfer quotes an unnamed detective watching the agent pushing a lamp when she thought nobody was looking. However, whether this is true or not, police officers did sign statements that they had witnessed the phenomena. Other aspects of the case were hard to explain: The time service was rung hundreds of times, with a frequency impossible with the mechanical dialing phones of 1967. The municipal authority disconnected the office from the mains supply and hooked it up to a dedicated generator hoping to stabilize the current. But surges in current and voltage still occurred with no detectable cause according to Zicha and Karger. Others think poltergeist phenomena could be caused by more mundane phenomena, such as unusual air currents, air vibrations such as in acoustic levitation, or tremors caused by underground streams.

John Hutchinson has claimed that he has created poltergeist effects in his laboratory. Also worth noting is that scientist David Turner proposes that poltergeists and ball lightning may be linked phenomena. [2] Some scientists go as far as calling them pseudo-psychic phenomena and claim that under some circumstances they are caused by obscure physical effects.[3] Parapsychologists William G. Roll and Dean Radin, physicist Hal Puthoff and head of electrical engineering at Duke University who specializes in electromagnetic field phenomena, claim that poltergeist phenomena [the movement of objects at least] could be caused by anomalies in the zero-point field, [4] this is outlined in the above article and in Roll's book Unleashed and mention is made of it in a chapter of Dean Radin's book Entangled Minds. The basic theory is that poltergeist movements are repulsive versions of the casimir effect that can put pressures on objects. Thus, anomalies in this field could conceivably move objects. This theory has also been mentioned in the current book on paranormal phenomena Science by Marie D. Jones.[5]

The theory is not complete, however, because it accounts for the movement of objects but not for the strange voices, seeming personality, and strange electrical effects displayed in some cases.

See also:

* Hutchinson effect

And, again, I think reading about the Freud-Jung incident (see the link in my first reply), could prove illuminating to many.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought to use telekinesis the user had to be free of stress and in a calm/meditative state of mind... I do believe telekinesis is possible, but I highly doubt this has anything to do with a matter of that nature.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Vanitas,

I didn't reply to your comment, but I'm quite aware of the apparent link between poltergeist activity and kids with emotional issues, not always anger. I seem to remember hearing that in most poltergeist cases there is a teenager living in the home. I have no idea if that's true or not, but I can see how there might be a link between the two. It makes sense on some level, but I've yet to see any studies or proof of this hypothesis. It might exist, I just haven't followed that research enough to know.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Neiby

Oh, I wasn't referring to your post - or any post in particular. It just seemed to me that the usual situation was about to happen: a lot of noise and... you know the rest. ;-)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join