It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why increased use of Curse words?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

It is very irritating that some long-time and even trusted members are making light of this situation that has long been an important part of the Above Top Secret terms and conditions.

Im assuming you might be referring to me and a coupleof other members, so let me tell it to you straight. I may have made some jokes but I dont make light of the situation at all. I even said this:

Originally posted by Ocelot
So Im going to try and cut back on the cursing.

I understand it has gotten out of hand recently and I will do my best and try not to curse. Even when I really really feel like I want to.

[Edited on 28-4-2004 by Ocelot]

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   

It is very irritating that some long-time and even trusted members are making light of this situation that has long been an important part of the Above Top Secret terms and conditions.

Im assuming you might be referring to me and a coupleof other members, so let me tell you it to you straight. I may have made some jokes but I dont make light of the situation at all. I even said this:

So Im going to try and cut back on the cursing.

I understand it has gotten out of hand recently and I will do my best and try not to curse. Even when I really really feel like I want to.

Ditto.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Do we also need to discuss, again, our policy on quoting entire posts and inserting only one word as your reply? www.abovetopsecret.com... [Edited on 22-2-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hi all!

I'm joining this "late" but thought I'd add my two pen'north for what it's worth.

Personally, I have no problems with swearing when I'm in the right environment eg when I'm with (male) friends, there's a few beers going down and the mood is right and it is apt to use a few "choice" words.

Otherwise, however, I feel it is a sign of disrespect - I'm a guest in this discussion board, have no propertorial rights to it and - just as I wouldn't dream of going into a strangers house and start "F'ing and Blinding" - I wouldn't contemplate using abusive language here amongst you. I feel I have enough of a vocabulary - and confidence to use it - to "make my point" without having to use offensive language?

Like I said, just my own thoughts on the matter...

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Many staff members and board members have given good advice here, the common theme being manners and civility. When posting to these forums on both ATS and BTS, consider what would be good manners and civility when conversing in a public place.

Good advice, however....

Civility is something that ATS lacks and it's not (just) because of 'curse' words. I've seen uncivil remarks posted by many of those same "staff members and board members" that "have given good advice here".

Everyone: Please don't limit your use of civility to posts without curse words.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I have to agree with Bangin here. I have been a victim of many maliscious attacks for sometime now and they are routinely ignored. I don't know why?

Several of the staff seem to want to believe that it is 'their board' and they can run it as they see fit.

Sometimes I really wonder who is running this place.

If I knew who was really running ATS then I could address my concerns to them but as of this posting I really don't know.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

we are concerned about the perception of our content to automatic spiders and content filtering systems. The repeated occurrence of vulgarities can cause this board to be automatically filtered from the computer labs of many school systems, and even the computer access of some public libraries.

what ever you feel about having the right to swear if you want to, this is a valid reason for not having it happen on the board. I have read many posts that have had me rolling up because of the crass language, but I didn't realise that it could actually be damaging to the site and restrict some people from finding it.

[Edited on 22-2-2004 by pantha]

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kano
I think surfup is more concerned about the increase of posters who tend to curse throughout all of their posts for no good reason. It does just show a weak vocabulary, and is still against the terms and conditions.

Exactly. For the past week I have seen at least one thread with a curse word in the recently active threads, all different ones. And as we all know, there is always more than five posts in a thread with cursing for no apparent reason.

Why? Just to prove something through cursing, which doesn't prove. It doesn't show any emphasis, but rather you and your choice of words.

I don't mind cursing that much, but what about the people who do mind? Is it okay for them to be offended, just to prove your point?

[Edited on 2/22/2004 by surfup]

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Secondly, we are concerned about the perception of our content to automatic spiders and content filtering systems. The repeated occurrence of vulgarities can cause this board to be automatically filtered from the computer labs of many school systems, and even the computer access of some public libraries.

I recently communicated with Kano concerning a message of chastisement he relayed me regarding my use of profanity on this site. I replied with a philisophical rant about my disagreement with word discrimination. A philosophy with which I still agree.

However, with regard to this new information of which I was not previously aware, I forthwith commit to complete abstinence from all use of profanity on ATS whatsoever.

I believe that this site is of high integrity and quality. To subject it to blind scrutiny of robot proxies and filter systems, limiting the benefit of it's value to the greatest number of seekers would be disaster.

I also am forced to append to my philosophy a new, real context of the use of profanity rooted in practicality and purpose. I know now that there CAN be tangible negative conseqences of the use of profanity. I have truly learned this day.

Thank you SkepticOverlord for enlightening me.

Oh, and Kano? Yeah. It's still on. You and me baby. I'll meet you at the debate forum after school!

DeltaChaos
Humbled Fighter

[Edited on 22-2-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Words are neutral, Carlin has said. I believe that. It is intent that matters. HOWEVER, I see the point of the thread. I wouldn't want my kids online hearing things that I would not approve of, such as racism, bigotry, etc. I will endeaver to refrain from this language.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I will endeaver to refrain from this language.

Purpose of the thread accomplished...partially...only couple of thousands to go.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
And if I forget I would hope that you folks will remind me. Thank you in advance.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
You've also got to worry when people get so hot under the collar about language, but can gladly parade around pictures of Saddam's dead sons with pride.
I do not worry about my children coming on the net and finding harsh language (they're going to find it anyway on the streets), I worry about them reading ignorant and hateful things that I often find here. That is far more dangerous on a young and impressionable mind than naughty language.

However, I understand that the staff here did not make those rules, they just follow them so there can be no complaints here.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I have to agree with what I am hearing from John Nada.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Seeing as how there is a feature to turn censor's off in the ATS store, it really SHOULDN'T be a surprise that many are "buying" this feature and using it. Many people, including myself may find that particular feature as sumthing that give's you right to cuss. Now if we use a dash of commense sense here, we would realize, that there is no need for such a feature if swearing is still not tolerated, even if you WASTED 1000 ATS$ on a feature that not only loud you to see cuss word's, but also to the best of your knowledge, aloud you to post them. There is NOTHING that state's that the "Turn censor off" feature does not allow one to cuss. It is a VERY misleading feature, as it is SERIOUSLY unecessary if cussing is still not tolerated.

What was the motto of this board again? Deny Ignorance? Really now ... There are many in power here that don't even heed there own motto.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Exactly. We cannot always be with our kids when they are online. I appreciate the level that ATS has set. My son has taken an interest in ATS and I'm not worried about what he will view.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
You've also got to worry when people get so hot under the collar about language, but can gladly parade around pictures of Saddam's dead sons with pride.
I do not worry about my children coming on the net and finding harsh language (they're going to find it anyway on the streets), I worry about them reading ignorant and hateful things that I often find here. That is far more dangerous on a young and impressionable mind than naughty language.

However, I understand that the staff here did not make those rules, they just follow them so there can be no complaints here.

I agree. Although offencive language should be used in moderation, it's bigotry that bothers me more.

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I purchased the feature not because I thought I would be able to use foul language or because I am some degenerate that gets off reading the words, I bought it because I wanted to read posts without the censoring in place, it was distracting for me when reading. That's all.

I also agree with Nada.

Peace,
BG

posted on Feb, 22 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Words do not offend me. However, if the use of such words are going to block certain search engines from registering ATS (hence depriving others the chance of discovering the site), then it may well be best if we curb the language a bit.

Anyway, we don't need cuss words ... we can always use pix if we need to. (See : To all from UK: Blair good or bad

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Thats what the censors are for surely? People who are offended keep them on. Anyways, you don't generally need to curse when having (generally) intelligent discussion here, so I don't really do it that much (I got a warning for my previous comments on this thread)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join