It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLL: Do you believe in Aliens/UFOs?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The poll is somewhat vague. I can easily say that I believe I have seen evidence of UFOs and aliens at the show, internet and on television. These no doubt also exist somewhere and it would also seem that our perceptions are usually flawed also. (Taken)

I recently tried to take a survey for people who believe they've been abducted, However, when I got to the end of the survey it asked something like: if I had psychiatric issues and was curently on medications. I quit the survey at that point. The disqualification of disturbed people who may very well have been traumatized by these abductions, I find arogant and discriminatory.

Even here on ATS I see this same kind of arogance. Perhaps we will see who are the real chosen at the chosen time and these others put in their proper places for their arogance and ignorance.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
What do you see as the difference between faith and belief? Or the difference between knowledge and belief?

Faith is what one accepts with no evidence. Belief is what is accepted with evidence that cannot immediately be show as good or bad, or immediately show at all. Knowledge is what is accepted with immediate proof.

That's how I would break it down.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUncleSam

Originally posted by Amaterasu

I don't believe in anything. Belief is something you accept as true without good proof. I prefer proof. I don't want to believe. I want to know.

No, that's faith. Belief is most often based on our interpretation of evidence we encounter.

He is right, good catch on that... Faith is belief in something without proof... Also the question is "Do you believe in UFOs and/or Aliens?" meaning if you only believe in UFOs you can answer yes, or vice versa... It's an and/or question...

What do you see as the difference between faith and belief? Or the difference between knowledge and belief?

There is no difference between faith and belief because faith is part of belief... Belief is a generalization... Faith is a belief you or anyone would have that more or less has not proof, the unconditional belief in something... Most people would ascertain this to God or religion in general... Knowledge on the other hand is a belief based off of fact or science, proof you can see from results or evidence....

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
this poll is just plain incorrect.

UFOs are NOT aliens. Basically you are demanding that people either believe in both UFOs and aliens, or deny both.

I for one believe in UFOs, and do not believe in aliens. I guess that means I don't get a vote.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
i voted undecided, my theory is that if there are other forms of life out there, they are either a. not as advanced as us, or b. not advanced enough to make it into our solar system, or c. advanced enough to get to our solar system, just not ready to make contact with us.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

You did see the / in the thread title.

I translated that to mean, Do you believe in Aliens and(/)or UFO's

Since UFO's a thought of as alien craft, then you would tend to believe both.

I don't see how this poll is incorrect at all

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
i voted yes.

i believe in aliens yes, the earth is so so insignificant in terms of the universe's size, the same goes for the milky way too. the universe is way too big for there to be nothing similar to us humans out in the rest of the universe.

ufo i'm not so sure of, i have never actually seen one with my own eyes, and who knows, maybe every bit of footage i have seen is set up.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This poll sucks.

What if I believe in one or the other?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Hmm... This is honestly the first time I actually saw someone use cableone's little web page they give you. Nice to know I'm not the only Idahoan in the forums. So far, I noticed the poll has an overwhelming "yes". Where's all the skeptics that usually attack.... everything? I was expecting a more even split. But I agree that there should really be more options. We hardly live in such a bland two toned world.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by DemonicAngelZero]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   

I don't believe in anything. Belief is something you accept as true without good proof. I prefer proof. I don't want to believe. I want to know.

LOL Nohup! Your always soooooo technical! I like you mate! You make me laugh!

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I don`t believe in Aliens.

I believe they exist because I have seen both Aliens and a UFO.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Thats a biggie for me too, I can only believe what I know. I know that UFO's exist. I know that aliens exist, guess how I voted on your poll?

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
It's not only possible, it's highly probable. I say this because I lack conclusive proof. I carry my camera all the time with me just waiting for an opportunity to get a clear shot, so why can't I be contacted as some others are? Then I'll have proof whether others believe me or not! Furthermore it would be fun to hear the skeptics explain how I faked the shot.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:06 PM
link   
flaged and stared I voted yes. My favorite quote is from the movie contact when she ask her father if there was life in space and his reply was if there isn't it would be an awful waste of space.

[edit on 18-3-2008 by Buddyweiser]

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by weknowyouknow
This poll sucks.

What if I believe in one or the other?

Umm, well that would be where the and/or part of the question works.

Far out, so many people complaining about semantics, when the intent of the poll is simply in your face obvious.

Ask joe teatowel if he belives in UFO's. He says either Yes or No.

He doesn't reply "Well belief implies that I adhere to rules which dictate that I need no proof to come to a conclusion, therefore I refuse to accept the question because I have no proof despite that I find the idea plausible. However, if you just change the wording to ask me if I have an inkling that there may be unknown objects that may or may not be of extraterrestrial origin fluttering about the place, based on my understandings of known terrestrial mechanics, then I would be inclined to perhaps agree with the question put to me and vote yes, but as you did not word the question in such a manner, it is pointless, and I refuse to engage in conversation with you any further. Be gone, nincompoop."

Coz crikey, that would just be retarded...

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
The existence of ufo's and/or aliens(extra-terrestrials) is a mathematical certainty. I wonder how many other infant worlds are polling this very question?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
The question is ambiguous. The poll asks whether one believes in UFOs and/or aliens. You have combined both asking the question, Do you believe in UFOs/aliens.

Well, the point is, the question itself is mixed up. UFOs could either be alien or man made (Black projects). Some would believe that alien UFOs are real, others that man made UFOs are real and still others that both are real. And of course, a minority would believe that both scenarios are unbelievable/unreal and a figment of the imagination.

So the question should have been put differently:

Do you believe in:

1. Alien UFOs?................ ...Yes/No/Likely/Unlikely/Undecided.

2. Man made UFOs?............Yes/No/Likely/Unlikely/Undecided.

3. Extra terrestrial Aliens?...Yes/No/Likely/Unlikely/Undecided.

4. Terrestrial Aliens?...........Yes/No/Likely/Unlikely/Undecided.
(Underground/under sea).

In any case I wonder what this poll would achieve? We know even without a poll that 90% believe in ETs and their UFOs. So there's nothing really earth shattering which would result with this poll!

Cheers!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

As I have seen several "UFOS" (they were certainly unidentified) and had at least one contact experience, I'm going to say yes.

Not to mention how immensely huge our universe is. Billions of galaxies and no other intelligent life?

How boring. We might as well all drink the kool aid now.

[edit on 3/19/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

@nohup: I think, there for I am. Sheesh I thought I was a mental gymnist. In the end you are what your are, denying your exsistance doesn't seem a very peoductive line of thought, you can go in loops for infinity (my mind often tries to) but in the end what good does it do you to sit around thinking you might not exsist? To be logical, or get any usefull thought done you must start by assuming the base premis that indeed, you DO exsist, radical I know LOL! But then again I'm assuming you wish to be productive in your thought exersizes.

Back on topic, you can't really look at the latest, best info to plug into your Drake equation and not come up with a number wich represents such a high probability that YES, E.T.s exsist and YES they are most likely here, as to be illogical to assume they aren't here and haven't been for a long long time. It often amazes me how many people still think the world is flat, woops I mean that aliens and UFOs are fake.

Supriseingly (to me) my most stuffy religious friends/family actualy accept the UFO/alien reality. However some soon disapoint me by saying they are simpley all evil demons come disguised as aliens to better steel our souls. Could be I geuss, just seems like a waste of a good diguise since it obviously aint working too good. Seriously though I would be way more shocked if aliens weren't here, and UFOs were all just new spy planes.

Our clouded views of reality, are most often clouded by our selves. Perhaps there IS some value to the thought exersize that we don't really exsist?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

Back to the OP...

For a good overview of recent polls on this subject, see

www.ufoevidence.org...

One of the major scientifically conducted polls on attitudes to UFO & ET issues conducted in recent years was The Roper Poll. You can see the methodology & controls employed here:

www.nidsci.org...

And a tabulated summary of the data here:

www.nidsci.org...

As you see, respondents were selected as a sample of total population by age, sex, geographical distribution, household income, educational level and a number of other factors. All respondents were interviewed in their homes. This is one of the most rigorously scientific studies of this kind, and a model of how to do it.

Questions #109, 110 & 112 in particular were imaginative, and the range of responses interesting too.

And just look at the responses to question 110!!! People KNOW the governments are covering up.

You might also find this overview from MUFON interesting. The doc is a pdf file so just comes up as text:

www.nidsci.org...

You can, of course, research and find more. This is just a small sample.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join