It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLL: Do you believe in Aliens/UFOs?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Yes and seen both more than twice. edit: ufo/ghosts. Still working on what I've seen (and if) alien wise... it's 'blurry.' to say the least.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by GhostR1der]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
I believe that there is life on other planets. For sure. No doubt. But aliens flying around earth..........No.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:12 AM
link   
DO I believe? well i'm with Nohup on this, I don't believe in anything, I take an agnostic view on things such as these.

The evidence suggests that we are being visited by an inteligent race of bi-pedal aliens that are very similar to us, either terrestial or extra-terrestial.

There is proof of Unexplained Aerial Phenomena and even unindentified flying objects, perhaps mandmade or made by a culture or species on earth we have yet to encounter and classify, perhaps some UFO's are a strange kind of lifeform.

It is in the realm of possibility that some of these UFO's that can't be explained conventionally are infact flying mechanical objects, be it spacecraft or what not from aliens worlds from the inner or outter solar system or beyond and that they are inhabbitted by beings.

I will not believe in it until I see an alien for my self (and be able to remember).

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I voted yes.
I do believe that there is life that is alien to Earth.
Belief is a funny thing.
I know that there indeed may not be any life that is alien to Earth. My belief that there is does not change the fact that I know that I may believe in something which is untrue.
As I understand it: believing something, by definition, means that you do not know that it is true but you strongly suspect that it is.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Recouper
I know that there indeed may not be any life that is alien to Earth. My belief that there is does not change the fact that I know that I may believe in something which is untrue..

Don't worry. It's quite unlikely that we're alone in this universe. See my earlier post of all the supportive evidence. It's not nearly the smoking gun per se, but it's a lot.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   
It is a tricky question....

But yes i do think there are other lifeforms in our galaxy.
But i dont need to believe that ufo's are here, that is more or less a fact.

I see that the word "believe" caused alot discussion as many associate it with faith...

The meaning of that word is, very floating, it does not really describe anything more than your own opinion.

It is like asking this:

Do you believe that Einsteins theory of relativity is correct Yes/No ?
Or
Do you have faith in Einsteins theory of relativity and it to be correct Yes/No ?

Are those questions the same?

As i see it, "belief" is what you base on your own opinion when you can not contribute it with fact.
Faith is more like you believe that something will occur to you or to someone else, usually something good, as faith is associated with religion mostly.

Have faith and everything will work out for the best

Just my 2c.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Balez
It is a tricky question....

But yes i do think there are other lifeforms in our galaxy.
But i dont need to believe that ufo's are here, that is more or less a fact.

I see that the word "believe" caused alot discussion as many associate it with faith...

The meaning of that word is, very floating, it does not really describe anything more than your own opinion.

It is like asking this:

Do you believe that Einsteins theory of relativity is correct Yes/No ?
Or
Do you have faith in Einsteins theory of relativity and it to be correct Yes/No ?

Are those questions the same?

As i see it, "belief" is what you base on your own opinion when you can not contribute it with fact.
Faith is more like you believe that something will occur to you or to someone else, usually something good, as faith is associated with religion mostly.

Have faith and everything will work out for the best

Just my 2c.

Exactly, that was my point in my post on page 2 - well put mate !

but still the confusion continues, for whatever reason there is, to avoid the actual intent of the question and obfuscate it with rhetorical assumptions about what the question is really asking.

You put it quite well, and for those who don't believe anything, do they believe they will wake up tomorrow, or is it faith that keeps them going?!?

belief is not as nebulous as religion makes it appear to be.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Do I believe in aliens? Yes. Do I believe in UFOs? Yes. Do I believe in Aliens driving UFO's here on earth? Not yet.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
Now, I used to not believe in Aliens!
I always laughed when I heard someone talk about them, and would quickly change the tv when an Alien movie came on!

I have no idea why I am so into them now, I read constantly about Aliens and Ufo's, and this just started happening last year!

I voted Yes!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Glad to see some people are catching the important ambiguity in this poll.

Though I appreciate the poll since it provokes discussion, I think this might be a better, more informative poll. (thanks to the poster above for his query format of y/n/likely, etc. Nicely done!

---------------------

1. Do you believe there's evidence that humanoid, or carbon-based nonterrestrials are physically appearing on Earth in this time frame?
................Yes/No/Likely/Unlikely/Undecided.

2. Do you believe there's evidence that unidentified crafts in the sky, on land or in the sea are non-manmade, but intelligently controlled craft? ................Yes/No/Likely/Unlikely/Undecided.

3. Are Extra-, or Ultra-terrestrial Aliens coming to earth now, and physically abducting people, removing them to elsewhere?

4. Do you believe there's evidence that UFOs are piloted by non-terrestrial physical beings?

5. Do you believe there's evidence that there are at least carbon-based single or multi-celled creatures on other planets or elsewhere in our Galaxy?

5a. Do you conjecture that it is likely that carbon-based life exists in our Galaxy in addition to Earth?

5b. In our Solar System?

6. Do you have an opinion that what we perceive in popular culture as aliens are physically present at the current time on Earth?

6a. Virtually present?

7. Do you believe that people who proclaim they have physically experienced Non-terrestrial creatures are describing real, non-virtual events?

7a. Are attention seeking, but essentially honestly recounting some kind of exotic experience?

7b. Are outright lying?

And so on. IOW, the more specific, the better. Note the difference between 'do you believe', and 'do you believe there's evidence?'

However, if you look at question 5a, I think some conjecture serves a purpose, and allows specific discussion.

Such -specific- discussion is valuable. Merely 'proclaiming' 'them Aliens are here' is not as valuable, because it's belief-based entirely.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Addendum.

Please note:

1. Evidence does not necessarily mean 'conclusive'. I may just mean that while it doesn't rise to the level of proof (what does, besides math?), there seems to be some events whose explanations are more likely to be fantastical than prosaic.

For instance a mass sighting of a 'craft' close up, in good conditions is fairly strong evidence; all that has to be ruled out is the presence of such technology by scientists or the military.

It can be tricky, though, because we know that holographic technology exists that can appear to more than one person at the same time, but does not specifically represent a real solid object.

We also know that human senses use 'filling' techniques, such as perspective and movement to create an image and it's possible to be -convincingly- fooled by our perceptions given the right circumstance.

2. Evidence may be more-or-less subjective, but should be able to be stated in a calm, rational manner.

3. Evidence, if -labeled- as subjective is, I believe, also of value. How? Well if many people post carefully described experiences that share a common thread (rather than just being copy-cat, or 'me too', or posted falsely in order to reduce 'skepticism'), that we my well have been able to -solve- this question.

But since so many people post fallacious, misleading, embellished and contrived information, this raises what is called 'background noise.'

This background noise can actually drown out 'real' encounters.

However, it seems that for some people just saying simply, I think it's possible, they have to make up a story, carefully hide the details, employ emotional outbursts if asked to describe details, refuse to revisit the case and generally make examination by others impossible.

If their intent, conscious or unconscious is to prevent criticism, then that further obscures the various issues.

IOW, I think some people feel that being believed they were contacted or abducted makes them 'special' and 'noteworthy' and to expose the event to themselves and others as psychological in nature deprives them of this and in fact puts them in the realm of the mentally disturbed, deluded or weak-minded.

However, I'd suggest this is not the case, really, though at first I can understand.

The reason I say this is that if we were to truly understand the human brain and the senses, then uncovering things like temporal lobe epilepsy and hypnopompic states and infra-sound based hallucinations would be valuable tools in the long run.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUncleSam
Out of curiosity I'm interested to see how many people actually believe in Aliens and/or UFOs... I created a free poll and hopefully it will provide pretty good data on what percentage of the public believe or do not believe... Anyway, visit the link and take the poll and cast your vote!

Cast Your Vote

Is it the poll closed?

Is not working for me, it says error...

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Like Nohup, I believe in "UFO's", not "aliens" in the form of grays, etc.
I believe that almost all UFOs are explainable as common objects that are seen through 'hopeful' eyes and over-active imaginations.

I read this board and post occasionally for reasons too long - and off topic - to go into here, but suffice to say as a conservative Bible-believing Christian, 'aliens' and things are really not part of my belief system. I still like to hear what others think about and come up with, even if I dont necessarily believe it myself.

[edit on 19-3-2008 by TrailGator]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUncleSam

quote:faith is belief in something without proof?

how may witnesses to an event would be required as sufficient proof to overcome a non believers lack of faith?2? 3?12?120?3000?

many times a judge in a court of law can only render a decision based on the evidence of eye witnesses------even to the point of rendering a death sentence on the accused-----all based on faith that the witnesses are not lying.

i have faith that ufo's are real and that aliens--to us-- exist-----there are too many witnesses going back 1000's of years----surely they are not all lying?

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by dave420
You're missing a fourth option:

"I believe it's possible, but so far evidence is lacking"

I agree to this statement.

Originally posted by dave420
Apart from that, it's dope

I concur with this one as well. Are there really that many people HERE that don't believe? I know there are skeptics, but dont believe at all! HAHAH

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Telos

No it should still be up and running, I visited the link a second ago and it worked fine for me... Hopefully there isn't some limit to how many people visit the poll each day, but if anything I'd say that would be the cause... But ya working on my end... Keep trying!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Nice poll pall.. And yes i do believe in them because there's to much photographic evidence that they exists And i've experienced to many strange close ecounters on differend kinds that i'm to baffled to ingnore that fact!

If you think approximaly 14 billion years inside the box And not outside. you probably
be shipped outside this galaxy untill your next live will start over again here on earth or elswere.

I voted yes

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Of course.
Why wouldn't you believe in other life forms such as ET's? Just because you do doesn't mean they have visited us even thought i strongly believe they do. See the universe is to big to just hold one race. Its actually pretty ignorant to say there isn't however id understand if you do say there isn't. Anyways i believe in ET's strongly yet im also a very big Christian believer. Look at these 2 famous quotes.

*This quote pretty much states its self*
"To say there is no life other then Humanity in the universe is pure foolish" -Albert Einstein

*This quote is saying that to rely all your beliefs and knowledge on facts and science is pure stupidity, which is why they say to keep an opened mind.*
"The man of science is a poor philosopher" -Albert Einstein

[edit on 19-3-2008 by Mr.x211]

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
On August 16th 1982 I saw a U.F.O. I have no pictures as proof but I reported the sighting to the police. Five days later an officer called at my home to tell me another person had reported the sighting about eight miles from my location. This is all the confirmation I need. I have no doubt, though I'm not sure if I'm pleased that there are aliens. I voted the obvious in your poll, great idea.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I voted yes. Ever since I was a young child my mother told me the story of the evening she saw a 'flying saucer' in a field. She stopped to watch it for a couple of minutes with 3 friends. That's all the proof I need

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join